PDA

View Full Version : Kobe Or Lebron

Pages : [1] 2

aznbryan
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Who do you think is Better KOBE BRYANT OR LEBRON JAMES?

analbumcover
03-14-2008, 09:28 AM
thats a tough question bryan

The_1
03-14-2008, 09:29 AM
both great players but i would pick kobe

aznbryan
03-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Yea its tough question. thats why i am thinking who to use on my PS3 NBA 2k8. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BenC
03-14-2008, 09:38 AM
kobe for now

analbumcover
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
i think if we rate them based on the same time in the nba, lebron is a better player, he is more well rounded and able to get 10 assists a night whereas kobe's always shoot attitude will only get him stats in the point column, cant forget 81 points in one night either..

ill say once lebron has been in the leauge another 5 years he will be better than kobe is now, which will be equivalent to the same amount kobe has played in the leauge to date

ballah
03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
kobe without a doubt.

civicHB
03-14-2008, 09:45 AM
KING JAMES

HuyNh_SI
03-14-2008, 09:48 AM
we'll have to see if lebron can break his 81 point game haha.. but for of now kobe

aznbryan
03-14-2008, 09:53 AM
King James all the way.

ottamania
03-14-2008, 09:56 AM
i ll say kobe.

u guys know what happened to Divac who used to play for sacramento?

gd3_kid
03-14-2008, 10:18 AM
best overall offesnive player, kobe's get a significant edge.

Lebron is good, but he doesn't have the balance that Kobe does.
Kobe can hit from anywhere on the floor comfortably, whereas Lebron's at his best when he's steamrolling defense's on his way to the rim.
I'd agree that Lebron's got better vision, but kobe's such an amazing scorer that it doesn't really hurt/limit his team when he takes 80% of the teams shots. His team is still winning (in the West, no less), and even when they were stuggling, I don't think you heard anybody in basketball saying that Kobe needed to pass more to get his team back in the playoff picture...thats how good he is, and thats how good he NEEDS to be in order for his team to win.
Lebron's in the same position, but he hasn't fufilled that role as well (in the East, no less), and his team is struggling.

Theres too much you can say about these two players, and I would not be surprised if Lebron ends up a better statistical player (more points, rings, mvps,) by the time he's 29....but right now, I think its tough to argue he's better then Kobe.

Also, how the hell has the best player on the planet gone 10 years without a mvp??

Edit* scratch that part about lebron having more rings then kobe...haha, don't know what i was thinking...but points and mvp's i can see

pf0sh0
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
KOOOOOOOBE.

bigboom
03-14-2008, 10:37 AM
if i was to build a franchise around either one id have to pick Lebron. His court vision is second to none, he's flirts with a triple double almost every game all he needs is a decent supporting cast.

the reason kobe has gone so long without an mvp is that he has doen nothing yet to deserve an mvp, all the rings he won were with shaq as the focal point of the offence. so the years that he was teamed with shaq, shaq was the team. so you take those 5-6 years away and then the last 2-3 he's been a ball hog on a team that barely made the playoffs each year. where as nash took a good team and made them into an excellent team. thats why kobe has never been a real contender for the award.

Killa_Kam
03-14-2008, 10:43 AM
kobe
:guns:

gd3_kid
03-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah, if you go year by year, there are probably other players that were more deserving in that particular year, but in hindsight, it seems like in 10 years, he would have got one.

And i think its a little unfair to simply call him a ball hog in the post Shaq years. You would call Ricky Davis a ball hog.
For the last 2-3 years, there hasn't been a more prolific scorer in the league then Kobe, so for him to take as many shots as he does, and still have a team that would be near the bottom of the West without him make the playoffs is quite a feat.

PINOY-X
03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
kobe hands down

thegame89
03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
KOBE

its hard to say that because lebrons unbelievable himself. but lebron always has had other players that he was able to work with. kobe never had anyone besides shaq. now with gasol in the lineup their duo is unbelivable. they might even get the ring this year.

brucebanner
03-14-2008, 11:08 AM
That is a tough question, as for using either in 2k8.. They are both amazing in the game. Kobe is the better shooter of the two in the game and can do everything LeBron can do in the game, Kobe for the game out of those two, however I would be going after Yao Ming, he is unstoppable in that game especially if you know how to use a post player;)

In real life I would go after Kobe as mentioned before he is an amazing scorer and has many years left at doing what he does at that level.

LeBron is a superstar in his own respects and plays more of a team game. Give him a few more years to really come out and be a bigger monster.

Ask yourself this question, who would you want to have the ball in the dying seconds with a tied up game at the end of the 4th or in OT.

My money is on Kobe hands down!

aram1000
03-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Kobe is a more gifted scorer, he is able to score with the most variety. Plus he is a far more consistent shooter then Lebron, but again, he has been in the league longer. Lebron is the better passer and rebounder, and is also capable of scoring at will, but as of now, he does rely on his physical gifts to do so, and its because of those he is able to get to the rim at will. My biggest knock on Kobe is his attitude, for such a gifted superstar he has a horrible attitude, thats why while I cannot deny his talent, I am not sympathetic to the fact that he has yet to be league MVP. Thats not to say he is not capable, I just think with the other teams and other superstars in the league that do a lot for their teams there are more deserving candidates. One thing that applies to both of these guys, for them to win championships they do need to be surrounded by good, quality players. With the recent Pau Gasol trade, we now see how good the lakers are and how important it is in the NBA to have a superstar surrounded by quality talent.

aznbryan
03-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Fine ill use kobe... hahahaha

Supa Dexta
03-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by aznbryan
Lebron cant never ever break that. because he is not a ball hug! hahaha he pass the ball to his teammate. lol

HA guys! his hugs are ridiculars omgggg :eek:

Jlude
03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by aznbryan
Lebron cant never ever break that. because he is not a ball hug! hahaha he pass the ball to his teammate. lol

Grammer police asleep?!?

So you're saying he can break the 81 pts record.

three.eighteen.
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Grammer police asleep?!?

So you're saying he can break the 81 pts record.

the grammar police are out...but the spelling rent-a-cops is right here

i know the use of is is not grammatically correct but hey

Jlude
03-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

I hate rent - a - cops!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

03-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
i think if we rate them based on the same time in the nba, lebron is a better player, he is more well rounded and able to get 10 assists a night whereas kobe's always shoot attitude will only get him stats in the point column, cant forget 81 points in one night either..

ill say once lebron has been in the leauge another 5 years he will be better than kobe is now, which will be equivalent to the same amount kobe has played in the leauge to date
Kobe's not as selfish anymore this season since he actually has a good team now. I can understand why he wouldn't be willing to give up the ball to his team mates when you look at his team a few seasons back, I mean Smush Parker and Kwame Brown were starters!

I'm probably gonna get bashed for this, but I think LeBron only has a few things on Kobe, speed, size + strength, ability to drive to the basket and maybe passing. Everything else I think Kobe's better at or equal, I know LeBron gets more assists and rebounds but stats don't tell everything.

Overall I will take Kobe right now, but I know LeBron will be better than Kobe very soon in his career.

PGTze
03-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Kobe right now, King in a few years

silver_gs-R
03-15-2008, 12:32 AM
wasnt a really big fan of kobe just up until a couple years ago, when he became a real team player, not where as i still see lebron as a prety big ball hog, just because he still doesnt have the experience kobe does. kobe's game has definetly began to remind me of jordan's game back in the day.

so kobe for me. :thumbsup:

4lti7ude
03-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

:nut: :rofl:

urbannomad
03-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by PGTze
Kobe right now, King in a few years

:werd:

Quinsonaaa
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
^^
truuuuuue

footballer
03-15-2008, 11:40 AM
ok how about this. KOBE vs LEBRON 1vs1. Who wins? I'm going to say the bigger, faster, and younger guy takes this one.

Not that it matters, lol.

5hift
03-15-2008, 12:16 PM
If I was outright picking the better player right now - Kobe
If I was a GM building a team right now - Lebron

Originally posted by 590221010

Kobe's not as selfish anymore this season since he actually has a good team now. I can understand why he wouldn't be willing to give up the ball to his team mates when you look at his team a few seasons back, I mean Smush Parker and Kwame Brown were starters!

I'm probably gonna get bashed for this, but I think LeBron only has a few things on Kobe, speed, size + strength, ability to drive to the basket and maybe passing. Everything else I think Kobe's better at or equal, I know LeBron gets more assists and rebounds but stats don't tell everything.

Overall I will take Kobe right now, but I know LeBron will be better than Kobe very soon in his career.

For the most part I would agree

Lebron does have size and strength on Kobe but defentely not speed. His ability to drive to the basket is about the same as Kobe's, Kobe just relies on finess while Lebron just goes straight and powers through the foul attempts. Lebron is a bit better at filling out the stats sheet, but he is defintely not the pure scorer Kobe is, nor does he have the killer instict Kobe does in situations that demand the big high pressue shot in the face of a double team.

Originally posted by silver_gs-R
wasnt a really big fan of kobe just up until a couple years ago, when he became a real team player, not where as i still see lebron as a prety big ball hog, just because he still doesnt have the experience kobe does. kobe's game has definetly began to remind me of jordan's game back in the day.

so kobe for me. :thumbsup:

Kobe has never really had that bad a attitude or been the worst team player as percieved by many, most of that has been blown up by the media. First off, since fresh out of highschool, he has been playing for one of the biggest basketball markets with intense media scrutiny. He was a rising star on a team that already had the most dominant and marketable NBA player... compared to Lebron, who fresh out of highschool, was given a team to run alone. Kobe pratices harder than most ballers play in game time, and I love how he lets the crowds' hate fuel his desire to just get better and better.

Originally posted by footballer
ok how about this. KOBE vs LEBRON 1vs1. Who wins? I'm going to say the bigger, faster, and younger guy takes this one.

Not that it matters, lol.

Kobe would win. Lebron is stronger and could post Kobe up, but Kobe is probably one of the most intense defenders and is great at drawing offensive fouls. Kobe can regularily hit shots with hands in his face, Lebron cant... yet. Kobe off the dribble would be impossible for the heavier, bulkier Lebron to cover. Lebron is a good team defender racking up blocked shots and steals, but in isolated, spread the floor, one-one-ones that I've seen, he is average at best.

A final thing to keep in mind, is they are not the same position nor do they have the same style of play despite averaging about the same for points. Kobe is definetely similar to Jordan, in both offensive and defense capabilities and intensity, and he is a true shooting guard. Lebron first off is a shooting forward and personally I think he is more like Magic, where he has the size and skill set to play almost any position and his stat line fluctuates greatly from night to night depending on the matchups.

That said,

If I was a NBA GM right now, I would take Lebron.

Kobe has a killer instinct, but it comes from his unshakable confidence and wanting to take the last shot as much as the first. He goes out every night with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove the crowd wrong, not just win, but kill the other team. Whether he is open or triple teamed with hands in his face, Kobe has the confidence to take that shot.

What makes Lebron great, is like Magic, he has a real understanding of the game. Even though early on it has cost his team some games, he is still more about having his team take the best shot, even if its not from him. He is more about winning, than proving everyone wrong.

In his earlier years, when Jordan did nothing but attack the net, he couldn't get past the conference finals. Using MJ's trials and errors -- and probably Kobe's -- as a reference, LeBron has been clutch in his ability to both score and help others score, really helping the Cavs.

Plus Kobe has a lot of more miles on his body coming straight from highschool. He is probably in his peak or close to it right now, where Lebron's best is yet to come.

Comparing them is not where the fun is at though. That will be watching Kobe, Lebron, Chris Paul, Amare and Dwight Howard in the next olympics as a starting five, playing to restablish US dominance and regain respect in the basketball scene. :drool:

footballer
03-15-2008, 02:12 PM
^^LOL you took it too far.

But no....I'm pretty sure if Lebron were to play Kobe in a fun 1vs1 matchup, Lebron (6'9 260 lb's) beats Kobe (6'6 205).
Too much strength, too much height. Also Lebron leads Kobe in head to head matchups, including a 2-0 record this year.

Here is an excerpt from nba.com from their first meeting this year, when they ended up guarding each other.

"James scored 33 points and shut out Bryant when the NBA's top two scorers went one-on-one "

IDK in my opinion Lebron is best now and the best in the future.

Here are some fun stats for the season

Lebron
PPG 30.9
RPG 8.1
APG 7.4
SPG 1.9
BPG 1.0
FG% 0.485
FT% 0.716
3P% 0.313
MPG 40.7

Kobe
PPG 28.3
RPG 6.1
APG 5.3
SPG 2.0
BPG 0.5
FG% 0.465
FT% 0.847
3P% 0.354
MPG 38.5

Black Gts
03-23-2008, 12:03 AM
I hate Kobe now. I used to the love him, but the jersey change was the icing on the cake. I can deal with showbe limping after halftime on the Christmas games, but I hope he does not think 24 is one better than 23. Lebron should not even be wearing that jersey but that is another argument. But kobe is better at the Moment I cant lie.

DGill
03-23-2008, 02:37 AM
kobe for now but Lebron has the potnetial to be great!

03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
I hate Kobe now. I used to the love him, but the jersey change was the icing on the cake. I can deal with showbe limping after halftime on the Christmas games, but I hope he does not think 24 is one better than 23. Lebron should not even be wearing that jersey but that is another argument. But kobe is better at the Moment I cant lie.
You are an idiot, you think those people who said Kobe chose 24 because it is 1 higher than Jordan? He wanted to wear 24 because that's what he wore in High School...

It's a number, not a name, not a signature move, etc, etc...

But I guess with your logic Jason Richardson is allowed to wear 23 since he is on Jordan's team.

JordanEG6
03-31-2008, 02:15 AM
LeBron may be better player on paper, but Kobe's got the a more mature game. I personally think it's Kobe...his shoes are better too. :D

DonnieM
04-01-2008, 10:53 PM
You cant lie with the numbers, Lebron definately has the edge, but man you just cant add enough for experience. Lets see if Lebron is still this good when he is Kobe's age, a lot can happen between now and then.

Rest26Less
04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Kobe, second best shooting guard of all time.

Lebron, only 22? still has a long way to go.

Stat doesnt say much, Lebron touches the ball in every Cav's possession, and like kobe said, when he was asked about the comparison, "put me in the East and see what happens".

In 2k8, I think Amare and Yao are the most dominant in that game, but between Kobe and Lebron, I'd pick Kobe, Kobe can do everything Lebron does except better shooting/defense.

JordanEG6
04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Rest26Less
Kobe, second best shooting guard of all time.

uh huh...and who's number one? :D

95teetee
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6

uh huh...and who's number one? :D

that's pretty obvious.

Wince Carter :D

ediamond24
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
As of now kobe is the most dominant player in the league. Lebron has the potential but he is just not there yet.

in*10*se
10-29-2008, 09:52 AM
fuck y'all bitches.... jordan for life.:poosie:

max_boost
10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
^^^

Why did he have to come back with the WW though. That totally sucked. He had the PERFECT ending to a PERFECT career. Still the BEST though. Too bad he had to retire in between or they he would have taken the Bulls to 8 Championships in a row :D

I don't see Kobe or the King doing that. :werd:

malcolmk14
10-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Wow, I can't believe the overwhelming majority of people saying Kobe. I don't want to be rude, but you honestly can't watch that much basketball if you don't think LeBron James is significantly better than Kobe Bryant.

holden
10-29-2008, 11:30 AM
i think Kobe is the more complete player right now... his on-ball defense is definitely better and his help/team defense is also better...

offensively, kobe is more fundamentally sound... i'm suprised how good his post game has gotten... he's also the better perimeter shooter...

lebron is better at his age then kobe was... he also has more potential becuase there has never been anyone with his combination of size, strength and speed... right now, he is best in transition... probably the best transition player ever...

if i were picking a player for 1 game, i would pick kobe... if i were building a team, i would pick lebron...

max_boost
10-29-2008, 11:33 AM
^^^

Whoa easy there man. Significantly better? ...... dunno about that one ;)

The King has mad hops and just brute force however lacks that killer instinct but he's still young.

Right now, with the game on the line, I will give the shot to Kobe. :thumbsup:

anarchy
10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
That's a tough one.

I wouldn't say either is significantly better, both are ridiculously talented. I know Lebron wants it bad but no one wants to win more than Kobe.

And like Max said, when the game's on the line, Kobe is fuckin clutch!

But while Kobe's improved at being a team player, I think Lebron is better at making his teammates better. Put Kobe on the Cavs the last two years and I don't see him bringing them to the Finals and East Finals.

1 on 1, I think Kobe wins by a hair, but on a team I like Lebron.

malcolmk14
10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Okay after reading over the thread a second time I've decided to expand on a few points.

As far as pure offensive talent goes - LeBron is far and away the better player. His ability to see the floor is like Magic, and his scoring touch is likened to Michael's in the late 80's/early 90's. The guy is crazy good, and unfortunately his team doesn't play a style that allows him to score 35+ a game like Mike did.

Don't get me wrong, Kobe is capable of taking over a game just like LeBron is, but LeBron does it more often, and has proven he can carry a horrible team through the playoffs to the finals. When Kobe had a horrible team, there were a couple first-round exits. He needed Gasol to get through to the Finals last year. LeBron went to the Finals with a guy named Boobie.

Regarding defense - Kobe is the better defender. I have thought for a couple years now that Kobe is the most underrated perimiter defender in the league. All the defensive accolades are given to guys like Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Shane Battier, James Posey, but really Kobe is as good a perimeter shut down guy as you can get. The fact he scores 30 a game takes away from his defensive efforts.

Size, speed, strength, just pure physical dominance - obviously this goes to LeBron. I don't think anyone will argue that point. The guy is faster than anyone his size ever should be.

Leadership-wise - Kobe has matured a lot, but is it any surprise to anyone that when his team is playing horribly or someone drops the ball, Kobe is all over them? Kobe his entire career has not been a good leader. It wasn't until last season when the Lakers had a chance to be good again, that the media started painting him in a better light. It was no longer talked about when he was screaming at a teammate on the sidelines, but if you watched the games you could see that it was happening just as much as it ever had. People didn't like playing with Kobe until 2007. Phil Jackson called him uncoachable until 2006. Is that someone you want leading your team?

LeBron on the other hand came into the game at 18 years old as a leader already on a 17-win team and propelled them to a near-playoff berth. No one has ever said anything negative about playing with LeBron. His teammates love him, the two coaches who have coached him love him, and you never, ever see him berating his teammates in front of television cameras. What LeBron does is leads by example. If his team is sucking, LeBron takes the ball and scores 25 straight points to steal a series from the Detroit Pistons in the 2007 Playoffs. Instead of sulking like a baby and blaming his teammates like Kobe is known to do, LeBron goes the other way and takes over the game himself.

Kobe fundamentally has developed more than LeBron. And I don't want to take anything away from Kobe's development, but he's 29 years old, and he's had 100 (?) more playoff games, and 5 or 6 more seasons than LeBron to work on things like that. Kobe had the luxury of Shaq in his prime carrying the Lakers through the playoffs, and got to milk that for all that experience which pays off now. Experience-wise, and game-management wise, Kobe has the advantage. He knows better the right spots to turn it on, and when he needs to take over the game he will. LeBron will try to do too much sometimes (which Kobe was guilty of up until halfway through last season when they got Gasol).

Overall, Kobe's better in some important aspects of the game. However, LeBron's combination of size, skill, strength, raw talent, maturity at 23, and leadership make him the better player. If you're doing a fantasy draft - take LeBron. If you're building a franchise - take LeBron. If you're trying to win a game tonight, and you have the team for 48 minutes, take Kobe.

Also, the comparisons I've seen between Kobe and Michael Jordan over the last ten months have made me actually sick. What a disgrace to #23.

PS 1 on 1 the winner would probably be whoever gets the ball last.

max_boost
10-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Very good points!

The 25 straight against the Pistons was fucking nuts. I couldn't believe it. One of the greatest playoff performances of all time!

All the Kobe/#23 comparisons are toast now cause Kobe didn't get it done last year hehe

Jynx
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Kobe solely because he is clutch. Lebron chokes in the clutch generally (missed FT's last 2 years playoffs)

Also how about D wade?!

He was injured last year but if any of you guys saw him in the 2006 Finals against the Mavs you would know what i mean. I dont see Kobe or Lebron ever beating him performance wise in that series (they may match what he did but will never beat him, if im not mistaken he averaged something crazy like 38ppg)

max_boost
10-29-2008, 02:03 PM
He had a great finals. Shaq rode him to a Championship!

This should be a HUGE bounce back year for DWayde! He looked GREAT at the Olympics!

malcolmk14
10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm doing a fantasy draft tonight and Wade is my secret weapon. I expect to be able to get him as low as #5 or #6 as a steal. If I end up with the first pick, I'm taking LeBron. But after that, it's gonna be a tough choice between Wade and Bryant.

Casa
10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Lebron IMO.

aly26
10-30-2008, 08:30 PM
hands down kobe

5hift
10-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Kobe and Lebron are both superstars and we could argue all day with reasons one is better than the other.

There are just too many intangibles to ever clearly pick a better one. Even if they played a real one on one, you could argue the loser of that game would be a better player in 5 on 5 how the NBA really is.

For that reason I think the best comparison would be on the biggest stage, with the most pressure in a situation where it comes completely down to that one player in complete control of what happens.

Answer this question honestly and I think you'll have an answer.

Down by 1, with 1 second on the clock in game 7 of the finals, who would you want taking two free throws?

If you pick Bron your lying/in denial or don't really watch the NBA.

PGTze
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

haha :werd:

sputnik
10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
http://www.jenius.com.au/images/july06_japan-day7_kobeBeef-raw.jpg

t_soarer
10-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by aram1000
I am not sympathetic to the fact that he has yet to be league MVP. Thats not to say he is not capable, I just think with the other teams and other superstars in the league that do a lot for their teams there are more deserving candidates.

Kobe was named 2007-2008 season MVP :facepalm:

holden
10-31-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by t_soarer

Kobe was named 2007-2008 season MVP :facepalm:

look at when that post was dated :facepalm:

urbannomad
10-31-2008, 10:28 AM
LBJ HANDS DOWN!

He is a :bigpimp: and nothing but.

He want's to avg a triple double for an ENTIRE season and help his team win. Kobe want's to shoot, and wants to win. With shooting he is doing it less and less to prove the critics wrong. But when the team is doing bad, I don't think he feels totally comfortable with Farmar at the point...and just takes over at will. maybe it's just me? :dunno:

malcolmk14
11-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Kobe and Lebron are both superstars and we could argue all day with reasons one is better than the other.

There are just too many intangibles to ever clearly pick a better one. Even if they played a real one on one, you could argue the loser of that game would be a better player in 5 on 5 how the NBA really is.

For that reason I think the best comparison would be on the biggest stage, with the most pressure in a situation where it comes completely down to that one player in complete control of what happens.

Answer this question honestly and I think you'll have an answer.

Down by 1, with 1 second on the clock in game 7 of the finals, who would you want taking two free throws?

I will agree that I would rather have Kobe take the free throws. But fortunately this is about who is the better basketball player, not who is the better pressure free throw shooter. I'd rather have Steve Nash or Jason Kidd take those free throws over Kobe, but that doesn't mean they're better.

5hift
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
^^
I dont care how good you are on the fast break or how good you can roll off a screen, if you cant hit free throws regularily which are such a critical component of the NBA, you dont deserve to be in the talks.

Kobe can pretty much do anything Lebron can, but you cant say the same for LBJ.

JordanEG6
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by malcolmk14

I will agree that I would rather have Kobe take the free throws. But fortunately this is about who is the better basketball player, not who is the better pressure free throw shooter. I'd rather have Steve Nash or Jason Kidd take those free throws over Kobe, but that doesn't mean they're better.

I think what he's getting at is performance under pressure in general, not just freethrow shooting, which I agree with. Jordan was an insane clutch player and knew what to do, when to do it, and executed beautifully many times before, which made him the greatest player who ever played the game...I'm biased obviously, but it's true.

If you change the scenario a bit - 5 seconds left, down by 1, 0 time outs left or fouls to give, your teams ball on the inbound...who would you give it to?

malcolmk14
11-04-2008, 04:17 PM
I'll concede that in a pressure situation I would much rather give Kobe the ball than LeBron. Kobe will make the right play more often, and I would feel a lot safer with him handling the end of a game in a pressure situation.

However to outright say Kobe is better just because of that is false, there are many aspects of the game where Kobe just can't compete with LeBron.

ediamond24
11-19-2008, 07:32 PM
KOBE is the present ... Lebron is the future

JordanEG6
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
there are many aspects of the game where Kobe just can't compete with LeBron.

like?

malcolmk14
11-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Okay after reading over the thread a second time I've decided to expand on a few points.

As far as pure offensive talent goes - LeBron is far and away the better player. His ability to see the floor is like Magic, and his scoring touch is likened to Michael's in the late 80's/early 90's. The guy is crazy good, and unfortunately his team doesn't play a style that allows him to score 35+ a game like Mike did.

Don't get me wrong, Kobe is capable of taking over a game just like LeBron is, but LeBron does it more often, and has proven he can carry a horrible team through the playoffs to the finals. When Kobe had a horrible team, there were a couple first-round exits. He needed Gasol to get through to the Finals last year. LeBron went to the Finals with a guy named Boobie.

Regarding defense - Kobe is the better defender. I have thought for a couple years now that Kobe is the most underrated perimiter defender in the league. All the defensive accolades are given to guys like Ron Artest, Bruce Bowen, Shane Battier, James Posey, but really Kobe is as good a perimeter shut down guy as you can get. The fact he scores 30 a game takes away from his defensive efforts.

Size, speed, strength, just pure physical dominance - obviously this goes to LeBron. I don't think anyone will argue that point. The guy is faster than anyone his size ever should be.

Leadership-wise - Kobe has matured a lot, but is it any surprise to anyone that when his team is playing horribly or someone drops the ball, Kobe is all over them? Kobe his entire career has not been a good leader. It wasn't until last season when the Lakers had a chance to be good again, that the media started painting him in a better light. It was no longer talked about when he was screaming at a teammate on the sidelines, but if you watched the games you could see that it was happening just as much as it ever had. People didn't like playing with Kobe until 2007. Phil Jackson called him uncoachable until 2006. Is that someone you want leading your team?

LeBron on the other hand came into the game at 18 years old as a leader already on a 17-win team and propelled them to a near-playoff berth. No one has ever said anything negative about playing with LeBron. His teammates love him, the two coaches who have coached him love him, and you never, ever see him berating his teammates in front of television cameras. What LeBron does is leads by example. If his team is sucking, LeBron takes the ball and scores 25 straight points to steal a series from the Detroit Pistons in the 2007 Playoffs. Instead of sulking like a baby and blaming his teammates like Kobe is known to do, LeBron goes the other way and takes over the game himself.

Kobe fundamentally has developed more than LeBron. And I don't want to take anything away from Kobe's development, but he's 29 years old, and he's had 100 (?) more playoff games, and 5 or 6 more seasons than LeBron to work on things like that. Kobe had the luxury of Shaq in his prime carrying the Lakers through the playoffs, and got to milk that for all that experience which pays off now. Experience-wise, and game-management wise, Kobe has the advantage. He knows better the right spots to turn it on, and when he needs to take over the game he will. LeBron will try to do too much sometimes (which Kobe was guilty of up until halfway through last season when they got Gasol).

Overall, Kobe's better in some important aspects of the game. However, LeBron's combination of size, skill, strength, raw talent, maturity at 23, and leadership make him the better player. If you're doing a fantasy draft - take LeBron. If you're building a franchise - take LeBron. If you're trying to win a game tonight, and you have the team for 48 minutes, take Kobe.

Also, the comparisons I've seen between Kobe and Michael Jordan over the last ten months have made me actually sick. What a disgrace to #23.

PS 1 on 1 the winner would probably be whoever gets the ball last.

covered it already in this post.

PGTze
11-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Those are the two points I disagree on...

First LBJ is not the better player, he is the better athlete. Eventually he may be the better player.

Second I don't understand why everyone is always saying the Cavs team sucks and if LeBron had better teammates he would have won a tittle already. Clearly the Cavs over the last few years haven't had the best supporting cast, but I think they have had a very good teams. The difference right now is Kobe makes guys like Derek Fisher extremely effective role platers, LeBron hasn't quit mastered that yet.

I'm an LBJ fan ahead of Kobe any day, but I think anyone who beleives LBJ is currently a better player is crazy.

banned3x
11-20-2008, 02:59 PM
didnt jayz want lebron on his team?

PGTze
11-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by banned3x
didnt jayz want lebron on his team?

Along with every other NBA owner(s) :nut:

Renagades
11-27-2008, 11:33 PM
its all about kobe you cant deny his skill

banned3x
11-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Lebron took his team to the finals by himself his team was ass thats how you know lebron is nice. Kobe with a better team not able to make to the finals.

scboss
11-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Lebron took his team to the finals by himself his team was ass thats how you know lebron is nice. Kobe with a better team not able to make to the finals.

Do you even watch basketball?? lakers vs celtics last year! kobe is by far the better player and what he is doing this year just proves it

max_boost
11-30-2008, 08:41 PM
The Cavs are off to a pretty hot start too though. They are 14-3!

Bynum has fitted in perfectly into the Lakers rotation. They are just damn good and even better than last year! Kobe has it a lot easier than Lebron!

It'll be interesting down the stretch but The King is due for the MVP trophy this year.

malcolmk14
12-01-2008, 09:26 AM
You know, I watched the Lakers play last night, and I honestly think they are one of the best teams I've ever seen. I've been watching basketball for a long time, and I watched the Bulls win 72 games.

This Lakers team is just incredibly deep, and Kobe is just so dominant.

Do I think they'll win 72 games? No, of course not. No one will do that again. But this team will almost certainly win the Championship, barring a huge move by another contender.

banned3x
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by warcaster

Do you even watch basketball?? lakers vs celtics last year! kobe is by far the better player and what he is doing this year just proves it

i was talking about 07 2007 nba (http://www.nba.com/finals2007/) look at the second pic

PGTze
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM

i was talking about 07 2007 nba (http://www.nba.com/finals2007/) look at the second pic

Why would you do that, an entire season has passed since then :dunno:

banned3x
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
exactly hes even better now!!

Gorilla
12-03-2008, 04:36 PM
Question should be Kobe or Jordan?

saiyajin
12-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Gorilla

:facepalm:

does that really need to be asked?

max_boost
12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin

:facepalm:

does that really need to be asked?

MJ=NBA Finals MVP 6X

/end argument.

malcolmk14
12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I refuse to even have the Kobe vs Michael argument with my friends any more. They just don't understand what SIX NBA Finals MVP's mean.

malcolmk14
01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=KobeLeBron-090119

Pretty good article. I disagree with it, but that's ok.

beyondpinoy
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
im lookign forward to tonights game (lakers vs cavs).. im even thinkign about not going to the gym tonight, jsut to stay at home and watch the game...

both have very similar records, and have a good bench (im not sure about cavs, but i know the Lakers bench is sorta hurting without luke and farmar)

but in my heart, im going for kobe to win this year.. since the cavs have been the lakers 5 times in a row! sigh!!

bubbley
01-19-2009, 05:22 PM
man that tough...both of them can take over a game and win it for there team...tonight is going to be interesting

holden
01-19-2009, 05:24 PM
i say Kobron

Shunsui
01-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Yup tonights game will seal the deal, but let me tell you lebron is completely overwhelming when he's driving in no one I mean no one can stop him once he's in the air. Kobe on the other hand is just a monster did you see the shot he made on the celtics at the 4th quarter under 10 sec shoots a three from behind the fucking backboard, and he did a fadeaway and damn you if you said that shot was lucky. He's just insane. Lebron is not a player that's completely feared, unlike Kobe c'mon even bitches fear Kobe.:rofl:

Edit: Meant the spurs game my bad.

supe
01-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Gorilla

No the question should be Kobe or Michael Phelps?

:rofl:

max_boost
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Lebron is a dominating force and absolutely unstoppable. He keeps getting better and better. It's an absolute privilege to watch Lebron out there. Tonight's game is going to be insane.

LongCity
01-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Cavs got spanked!

Shunsui
01-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I promise you Lebron is NOT gonna sleep tonight, but damn he flopped HARRRRD, did you see that weak ass christian ronaldo type of shit he tried to pull when he was holding his forehead...I lost most of the respect I had for Lebron this game, he acted like a big baby...Speakin of Big Babies who saw Shaq spank Big Baby Davis :rofl:

beyondpinoy
01-20-2009, 12:44 AM
ionno.. i thought it was a good game between kobe vs lebron... i think kobe is still the best skilled player between the two.. and lebron is just a monster (physically) .....

its going to be kobe on top for the 2-3 more years (and will probably 1 or maybe even 2 more championship rings) then lebron and wade will carry it for the next 5-7 years....

man kobe is clutch.. this is why they say he's deadly in the 4th.... he made key baskets in that quarter!!

Shunsui
01-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Did you know that there was a poll on NBA where they asked peeps who would you pass the roc' to at crunch time?

Kobe Bryant
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Lebron James

Guess who came up on top?

Kobe, he took it to Lebron everytime, what did Lebron do? Drive in, screw up then ask for a foul...

beyondpinoy
01-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Shunsui
Did you know that there was a poll on NBA where they asked peeps who would you pass the roc' to at crunch time?

Kobe Bryant
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Lebron James

i don't think i would put kobe bryant over michael jordan.. i think the poll on nba.com MIGHT of been off, since this generation probably hasn't seen Micheal jordan. i personally would put Michael jordan in front of Kobe in crunch time.. he's done it soo many times, in soo many cluth moments... its not even a contest in my opinion... altho kobe bryant IS currently the-clutch-player in the league right now... kobe is amazing the things he does...

to me, yestarday only proved again that kobe is the best!!! he personally took it at lebron, he personally took it as a challange to take the best player on!! (just as he did in the olympics) i really enjoyed the game.. i like how they took it at each other in the 4th.

LongCity
01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I would also put Reggie in that list of clutch players.
8 points in 9 seconds, c'mon now...

Kobe always brings his game, he took it to Jordan in the 98 All-Star game. Given Jordan was getting old by then, he was still very able. He dropped 43 points when he was 40!

Shunsui
01-20-2009, 12:18 PM
LoL, we might aswell had Mr.Clutch Jerry West, but personally I wouldve chosen MJ no doubt, but makes you think what Kobe is to this Generation, maybe alot like what Jordan was to ours..

5hift
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
So last nights game should quiet the confused for a while.

Kobe is clearly the better player.

He dislocated the ring finger of his shooting hand early in last nights matchup against the Cavs. Popped it back in and with a messed up shooting hand dished out 12 assists to bring the Lakers back in the lead. With the game close in the 4th, clearly in pain but everyone on his team struggling, Kobe posted up the much bigger Lebron, backed him down, and hit a fade away in his face on back to back plays to ice the game.

beyondpinoy
01-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Shunsui
LoL, we might aswell had Mr.Clutch Jerry West, but personally I wouldve chosen MJ no doubt, but makes you think what Kobe is to this Generation, maybe alot like what Jordan was to ours..

yeah i think kobe IS, for this generation, what jordan was for our generation (altho im kinda in the middle, i really only started watching bball at the end jordan of his 6ring titles and when kobe won his first three)

So last nights game should quiet the confused for a while.

Kobe is clearly the better player.

He dislocated the ring finger of his shooting hand early in last nights matchup against the Cavs. Popped it back in and with a messed up shooting hand dished out 12 assists to bring the Lakers back in the lead. With the game close in the 4th, clearly in pain but everyone on his team struggling, Kobe posted up the much bigger Lebron, backed him down, and hit a fade away in his face on back to back plays to ice the game.

i totally agree!!! altho lebron is great as well, the way kobe played, he played with more experience and made better decisions... and kobe has 10+ years in the league!!!

what scares me is lebron is only 24.... just imagin when he's 27-30... now thats a scary thought!!! he's goign to be craazzzy good