PDA

View Full Version : Migraine Sufferers

BrknFngrs
03-14-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm sure that I'm not the only person on here that gets fairly frequent migraines so I figured I'd see what others do to cope. Just looking for input on what others have found works well to quash them, whether it be medications or actions.

Medication wise, Excedrin Migraine seems to work the best for me, but as far as I know it's still only available in the US. Since I'm out of these I've tried others and the best I can find is Tylenol Ultra, but even it gives mediocre results. Action wise, I find laying in a dark room with an ice pack on my head seems to help calm a migraine, but never fully gets rid of it. Hot, or even warm showers, tend to make my migraines worse so I try to avoid that.

What does everyone else do?

Def_3
03-14-2008, 12:42 PM
only thing that works for me is advil liquid gels two at a time

i have had migraines since i was a young teen, anytime the weather changes i know a day in advance

also swimming helps............i know that is kinda wierd???

PINOY-X
03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
try getting more sleep time .. i use to get it all the time but i tried sleeping a little bit more and they have slowly stopped...

BrknFngrs
03-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Def_3
only thing that works for me is advil liquid gels two at a time

i have had migraines since i was a young teen, anytime the weather changes i know a day in advance

also swimming helps............i know that is kinda wierd???

Hmm I've never tried any of the gel type pills, are they more potent or just more fast acting?

Originally posted by PINOY-X
try to getting more sleep time .. i use to get it all the time but i tried sleeping a little bit more and they have slowly stopped...

Sleep could quite possibly be part of it, I know have been tossing and turning a fair bit lately. Any suggestions on how to deal with the migraines when they do occur though?

PINOY-X
03-14-2008, 01:48 PM
the Advil liqiud gels worked for me before. I also ate when i did get them and it would work a bit, but it wouldnt stop it

dodger97
03-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Advil Extra Strength Liquid Gels work great if you catch it early enough. But they can be very hard on the stomach and you are limited to 3 pills in a 24 hour period.

I have tried everything on the market and all prescription medications but what worked for me - Caffeine. My doctor gives me a prescription for Caffergot. It works like a charm...just don't take it with a caffeine drink - made that mistake and my heart went into palpitations.

BrknFngrs
03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
It seems like liquid gels are a possible solution, so I'll get some of those next time I'm out. As for the Cafergot, I'll have to inquire with my doctor to see if he thinks that will be beneficial for me. I'm actually going to whip up a caffeine heavy drink right now to see if it will make my headache backoff, though I'm sure even something like a double espresso is nowhere near as strong as the caffeine pills mentioned above.

Keep the good ideas flowing guys and thanks for the input so far.

turbotrip
03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
advil migrane gels are the only thing that works for me

Hash_man
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
My doctor gave me a prescription for something a while back, forget the name but it seems to work quite well if I take it at the very start of a migraine.

As far as actions, dark room, no noise, and a cool damp cloth on my forehead helps some... My migraines are mainly triggered by stress.

Def_3
03-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Hmm I've never tried any of the gel type pills, are they more potent or just more fast acting?

Sleep could quite possibly be part of it, I know have been tossing and turning a fair bit lately. Any suggestions on how to deal with the migraines when they do occur though?

not sure, just seem to be the only ones that work for my migraines, and i have tried everything else

HRD2PLZ
03-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Excedrin Migraine works best for me as well, but they are only available in the US. Other than that, I take Advil liquid gels. They seem to work alright if I catch it in time.

big A
03-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I have tried many different preventative prescriptions and the best was one called topamax but that just slowed them down to about one or two a week.When the migraine was set in Maxalt wafers was the best and Axert was also good.
I finally decided to try a chiropractor and found a great Dr. that also does accupuncture.After a week of three times a week therapy at the Dr. the migraines almost vanished and now I have gone 5 weeks without one.
Let me know if anyone wants his contact info, I obviously strongly recommend him.He is in that mall on Crowchild just north of Mcmahon Stadium.

dacoconutnut
03-15-2008, 03:14 PM
i get this migraines that when it happens.. i loose my vision (well it looks like im in a fishbowl) so sleep is always the best cure for me

dragonone
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
i had frequent ones when i was younger, i was even prescribed tylenol 3; now when i have them tylenol 1 works for me, even 1000mg acetominaphen doesn't work, it has to have codeine in it

doctor said do not over stress, esp. in front of a monitor, stay off too much sugar, and most importantly get enough sleep because nothing in the world can make up for that

BrknFngrs
03-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Excedrin Migraine works best for me as well, but they are only available in the US. Other than that, I take Advil liquid gels. They seem to work alright if I catch it in time.

Do you know the legality of bringing Excedrin Migraine in from the US? I understand that it isn't sold in Canada but does that also mean I couldn't bring any back with me from the US for personal use (legally)?

Originally posted by dacoconutnut
i get this migraines that when it happens.. i loose my vision (well it looks like im in a fishbowl) so sleep is always the best cure for me

I'm fortunate that I have only once had my migraines cause vision problems, a friend of mine has this problem frequently and it's terrible.

Sleep works for me sometimes but most of the time I can't just put aside my day because I have a headache.

Originally posted by dragonone
i had frequent ones when i was younger, i was even prescribed tylenol 3; now when i have them tylenol 1 works for me, even 1000mg acetominaphen doesn't work, it has to have codeine in it

doctor said do not over stress, esp. in front of a monitor, stay off too much sugar, and most importantly get enough sleep because nothing in the world can make up for that

Is tylenol 1 an over the counter product? Or is it prescription just like 3? I'm in the same boat, acetaminophen does next to nothing for me.