PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do Industrial networking type of work?

rinny
03-15-2008, 08:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone deals in the SCADA or industrial networking line of work. Im interested in this type of work, more specifically for power utilities than anything, but i'd consider other industries as well.

I'd like to shoot some questions off to anyone who deals in this stuff. I'll be graduating Electrical Eng. Tech. at Sait in a month, and this seems to be where im looking for a possible career.

jav_
03-16-2008, 01:01 AM
nice...this is actually my alternative if i dont do a plc job..do u have doug or tim?

Nufy
03-16-2008, 05:09 PM
I do it for a living.

I'm a Senior Electrical tech at an engineering firm here in Calgary

What do you need to know ???

rinny
03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Well to start...

What sort of software, or protocol language do you use?

What industry do you provide service for? Oil? Utilities? Factory Automation?

Who does the commissioning? Your company? The person who designed the network?

Nufy
03-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by rinny
Well to start...

What sort of software, or protocol language do you use?

Allen Bradley, Modicon, Scada pak, Bristol Babcock, Fisher Roc

Mostly all the major Vendors. Whatever the client prefers.

If we have a choice we usually use AB

What industry do you provide service for? Oil? Utilities? Factory Automation?

Our company if approx 95% Oil & Gas oriented. Upstream well site work to commercial type metering. All points in between.

Who does the commissioning? Your company? The person who designed the network?

At my company (once you prove yourself) you usually get full ownership of the entire process.

Currently I am the lead designer for 2 x two 10,000 Hp turbine compressors in Connecticut.

I have been involved in the electrical design process covering building / site layout, MCC specification/design and all things in between. I have just completed / approved over 700K worth of MCC's for this project.

In the next few weeks I will be programming the Station control System and supervising another colleague for the HMI design. This will include SCADA interface to a Oasys system.

later this year I will be on site for comissioning and start-up.

As a junior (fresh out of school) you will not get that much freedom. However as you prove your proficiency you get more and more responsibility.

I have been with my current employer for over 7 years now.

I hope this is helpful.

If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

Cheers.

[B]