PDA

View Full Version : question about transfer car title and trade in

red325
03-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I have a car which is under my wife's name and I want to trade in that car for a new car.
However, the dealer told me that car must be under my name in order to trade it in.
How can I change the title?
Do I still need to get a bill of sale. new insurance, new license plate?

Can I just get a INTRANSIT PERMITS?
:confused:

dannie
03-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Is your wife not buying the new car with you? If she is, there is no reason to have the registration switched to your name. If not, then they will need the registration in your name. The crappy part is that you will have to get a new plate and registration and have her sign over the registration to you. The Intransit permit is like a temporary plate to move the car. It doesn't work for ownership

red325
03-16-2008, 02:53 PM
the new car will under my name so I guess I need to go through all these troubles....:banghead:

dannie
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Ok... hold on though.... you can always have your wifes name on the Bill of Sale and register it in your name. That isn't difficult. Would they be willing to do that? Add her name to the bill of sale from the dealership?

canuckcarguy
03-16-2008, 05:55 PM
We don't have a title system in Alberta, so it really shouldn't matter. All you need is to have her sign the car over to the dealership as part of the transaction. Done.

Maybe they're just trying to find a creative way to add her to the financing?

You could also just get a bill of sale from her to you on the car, now you're the owner, and you can trade it in. Whether it's registered in your name is irrelevant. If they insist on it, walk. There are plenty of dealerships around.