Toms-SC
03-16-2008, 03:59 PM
hot

toyboy88
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
:barf: :barf:

zachattack54
03-16-2008, 04:19 PM
I dont think its that bad. I kinda like it.

Foreign2
03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
OMG

stvtec
03-16-2008, 05:59 PM
I had a 69 Elcamino, its was cool, but this is a pontiac, thats kinda gay that it is not a chev? Will it sell, I doubt it cause we have real trucks in north america. Maybe fun to drive though.

jdm_eg6
03-16-2008, 06:23 PM
i think its nice, but dont they sell somthing similar in Austrailia.

SpeedyZ
03-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jdm_eg6
i think its nice, but dont they sell somthing similar in Austrailia.

thats all they sell in Australia, made by Holden, this has been on sale there for that last couple of years

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/vehicleentry?vehicleid=15

even Ford has one there

http://www.fpv.com.au/cars/pursuit/overview.aspx

BokCh0y
03-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I think it's pretty cool. Unique look. :thumbsup:

three.eighteen.
03-16-2008, 06:44 PM
it doesnt look that bad...but judjing by the number bajas sold, i doubt it will be a hit

4lti7ude
03-16-2008, 07:26 PM

pattyt
03-16-2008, 07:32 PM
yea baja flopped, and that was kinda cool cause it was a subbie, at least i thought, this is a pontiac .......

300zxfairlday
03-16-2008, 07:33 PM

Senseiz
03-16-2008, 08:31 PM
First, the truck + suv idea
then SUV + Sedan crossover...
now a truck + sedan.....

wtf? fugly

treg50
03-17-2008, 08:49 AM
:clap: I love it. Always liked Pontiac styling more on average than Chevrolet. A bit crazy, a bit risky, a bit different. Saturn's hitting the mark now as well. I hope the G8 ST will do better than we think. They really should make a 4-dr version though.

I saw a silver/grey Baja this morning, 4-dr., it looks like such a useful intelligent vehicle without being a fucking poser, gas-guzzling, dime-a-dozen SUV or pickup monstrosity.

Antonito
03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by treg50
I saw a silver/grey Baja this morning, 4-dr., it looks like such a useful intelligent vehicle without being a fucking poser, gas-guzzling, dime-a-dozen SUV or pickup monstrosity.

Unfotunately those are the exact qualities a car needs in order to sell in North America. THere's a reason we get the shit cars, it's because we're dumb

If I was doing light-construction work again (hand tools, small supplies, no heavy lumber), i'd get this in a heart beat

Redlyne_mr2
03-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I love when GM recycles old garbage.. poor company is at the end of their rope.

phrozen
03-17-2008, 09:26 AM
I think its pretty damn nice, its good for what you
get. :bigpimp:

And it doesn't actually have a name yet.

What do you think it should be?

I said: The Pontiac Reflex.

kiyo
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
I kinda like the front end design.
looks like some kinda BMW with huge nose holes tho...lol

BTW, are those kind of trucks(?) are really usefull as truck?

dino_martini
03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
I like it. I probably wouldnt buy the sport truck, but the sedan I would. GM is on a roll. Atleast GM is going to make it, Ford is pretty screwed. I entered into the name contest thing even though Canadians arent really allowed. Pontiac G8 Tomahawk. Has a good ring to it. LOL

2002civic
03-18-2008, 10:22 PM
yuck:barf:

jdm_jspec
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
wtf....

Antonito
03-19-2008, 10:52 AM
It occurs to me that this might be viable if gas keeps going up and the economy goes down. There are lots of people driving around in dually monsters with a couple shovels and a bucket in the back just because bussiness is good enough and gas isn't at record highs (once you count inflation)

b_t
03-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by likwid
Hideous. It wont sell.
wrong

Originally posted by stvtec
I had a 69 Elcamino, its was cool, but this is a pontiac, thats kinda gay that it is not a chev? Will it sell, I doubt it cause we have real trucks in north america. Maybe fun to drive though.
This is clearly not for someone looking to get a "real" truck. Isn't aimed at anywhere near the same segment. The real truck market will not take away from the market for this car

Originally posted by Senseiz
First, the truck + suv idea
then SUV + Sedan crossover...
now a truck + sedan.....

wtf? fugly
You fucking idiot, they first made this car about 40 years ago and the idea predates everything else you mentioned.

I for one am glad to see it coming back and I'm really interested in the idea.. a good RWD V8 with all the room to haul my gear? Fuck yes.

Destinova403
03-19-2008, 11:23 AM
public live unveil... with a video

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/19/new-york-2008-the-ute-has-landed-live-reveal-of-the-pontiac-g8/

peterparker
03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
i think its cool but im sure it wont sell.

TKRIS
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow. That's unfortunate.

I hope they made it from leftover Aztec parts, because I'm not sure their warehouse is big enough to fit another huge surplus of parts for failed vehicles no one asked for in the first place...

Of course, this begs the question: Is it actually possible to be fired at General Motors? Or does management just say "Fuck'em. I loved the HHR. You just keep doing what you're doing."

wjjeeper
03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
YES!!! Holden for north america!!

b_t
03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Wow. That's unfortunate.

I hope they made it from leftover Aztec parts, because I'm not sure their warehouse is big enough to fit another huge surplus of parts for failed vehicles no one asked for in the first place...

Of course, this begs the question: Is it actually possible to be fired at General Motors? Or does management just say "Fuck'em. I loved the HHR. You just keep doing what you're doing."

I think the thought process that led to this car went more like this:
"Holden sure makes some cool cars, plus we own them. They've developed, researched, and and built this awesome car we can work with - all it needs for the North American market is some crash testing and a minor facelift."
"You know what? It looks a lot like one of our older cars, one of the ones that built our reputation in the first place, a real muscle car with a dedicated following - the El Camino!"
"Now if we can take a car and develop for so cheap, begin construction, and then use a name we already own to market it, we'll make a profit!"

Its a good thing you don't work for GM because by God, they would be out of business.
Also: GM only really lost a few million last year. That massive "loss" was actually tax breaks they were unable to use. They are doing quite well for a north american company, thanks to their forward thinking design and willingness to exploit their considerable resources by starting to import the Astra, El Camino, etc...

edit: Its also important to note that just because you don't see a car everywhere, it is not a failure. Believe it or not, prestige and respect do not generate revenue on their own. A car that can be developed and built cheaply - constructed to cater to a small target market, as the HHR was - and then be successful in its segment. A car doesn't have to be as common as a Civic or a Corolla to be considered a success.
Especially in these days of platforms that can easily have a body placed on top of them, niche vehicles like this one and the HHR will probably become more common and will be expected to sell in low numbers..

A790
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd buy this thing - complete with a rockin 361 horsepower V8 - in half a fucking hearbeat. Where do I sign up?

Oh, and can someone point me to the turbo kits? ;)

2BLUE
03-19-2008, 02:41 PM
It will sell.

b_t
03-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by A790
I'd buy this thing - complete with a rockin 361 horsepower V8 - in half a fucking hearbeat. Where do I sign up?

Oh, and can someone point me to the turbo kits? ;)

http://jalopnik.com/368635/926-hp-holden-ute-blueprint-for-an-epic-pontiac-g8-el-camino

Not turbo... but still

Ospi
03-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Don't like what they have done to the front of it compared to the aussie version of the same car. Will be interesting to see how it sells. I wonder if they will release something like this down the line:

http://images.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2007/112_0712_07z+holden_HSV_maloo_r8+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

drtoohotty1
03-21-2008, 08:29 PM
:barf: :barf: :barf:

funkedelic
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
WHAT.. the ..FUCK?!

:barf: :cry:

b_t
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Are you people fucking blind? Have you never seen an El Camino or Ranchero before?

Ospi
03-21-2008, 11:23 PM
Or watched V8 truck racing in aus? fuck that is awesome shit.

eglove
03-21-2008, 11:41 PM
i like it better than that ugly chevy SSR

sh0ko
03-22-2008, 01:35 PM
this is just a simple hate it or love it car..nothing more

D911
03-22-2008, 09:10 PM
I like it.
I would love to own one.

arian_ma
03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by b_t

I think the thought process that led to this car went more like this:
"Holden sure makes some cool cars, plus we own them. They've developed, researched, and and built this awesome car we can work with - all it needs for the North American market is some crash testing and a minor facelift."
"You know what? It looks a lot like one of our older cars, one of the ones that built our reputation in the first place, a real muscle car with a dedicated following - the El Camino!"
"Now if we can take a car and develop for so cheap, begin construction, and then use a name we already own to market it, we'll make a profit!"

They got popular with this car fucking 40 years ago!
You know what else was cool 40 years ago? Being a Hippie. Let's bring that back! This car is fugly, but like you and I have already discussed, that's just my opinion and it means shit all.

tjblacklight
03-24-2008, 06:14 PM
hideous theres a reason why al caminos arnt produced any more

A790
03-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Fuck that.

Today while I was at home depot I was fucking thinking about this car... if I had a bed to put some light shit in (plants, fixtures, etc.) I'd have been able to actually fucking buy something. Instead, I got two stupid sports cars that can't carry shit.

This truck = awesome = fucking amazing.

Basic math.

01RedDX
03-26-2008, 12:22 AM

b_t
03-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by tjblacklight
hideous theres a reason why al caminos arnt produced any more

If they cancelled it for being hideous, then it and the CRX have something in common.
But like most muscle cars, it was killed in '73 and died a slow death after that

strong
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
what a waste of time

ZorroAMG
03-26-2008, 12:13 PM
I dunno...the concept is cool, I personally never liked the el camino cause it looked like a mutt, but that's IMO.

As far as sales, Aus and NA are quite different in their tastes and I think the HUGELY failed subaru el camino could be an indication of how well this vehicle will do.

NONE of us here can say for certain it will succeed or fail...I like the holden version MUCH better than the Ponticrap. Why mess with a good thing? Cause that's what GM does.

kevie88
03-26-2008, 03:35 PM
I just got back from Aus, and these things are everywhere.

The HSV Maloo is absolute madness, RWD, independent suspension, huge brembos, and 500ish HP. It's a proper, modern sports car that I can haul my bike in the back of, and haul ass when I don't have it in there!

It's a real alternative to the pickup, most people do not ever approach the capacity of a big truck, and having a car to drive in the meantime is MUCH more satisfying.

A790
03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I dunno...the concept is cool, I personally never liked the el camino cause it looked like a mutt, but that's IMO.

As far as sales, Aus and NA are quite different in their tastes and I think the HUGELY failed subaru el camino could be an indication of how well this vehicle will do.

NONE of us here can say for certain it will succeed or fail...I like the holden version MUCH better than the Ponticrap. Why mess with a good thing? Cause that's what GM does.
The differences between this and the Baja are MASSIVE.

Pontiac:

+ Clean, modern looks
+ V-fucking-8
+ G8-inspired design and interior

Baja:

+ Uglier than sin
+ 166HP 2.5L 4cyl engine
+ Uglier than sin
+ Plasic body moulding everywhere
+ Uglier than sin

I am confident that this car will do well for Pontiac, especially with gas prices going as high as they are and people wanting to ditch their massive SUV's for something a little more practical (awesome).

kevie88
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by A790

The differences between this and the Baja are MASSIVE.

Pontiac:

+ Clean, modern looks
+ V-fucking-8
+ G8-inspired design and interior

Baja:

+ Uglier than sin
+ 166HP 2.5L 4cyl engine
+ Uglier than sin
+ Plasic body moulding everywhere
+ Uglier than sin

I am confident that this car will do well for Pontiac, especially with gas prices going as high as they are and people wanting to ditch their massive SUV's for something a little more practical (awesome).

You forgot also the Baja has a 2" long box..

:EzE:
03-30-2008, 08:23 PM
very interesting... its the kinda car that could grow on you...

TomcoPDR
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
I think they're useful for small business owners (who buys stuff from Costco, or bring inventory from home-to-shop) who doesn't want to drive contractor pick-up trucks or stuck with mini-vans.

I'd buy one for under $25,000 - $28,000