PDA

View Full Version : Downloading music

Brownwonder
03-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Anyone know of any good sites, programs to download music? The site I use to use doesnt work anymore :(

Thanx!

toyboy88
03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Ares?

Brownwonder
03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
Ares?

I have ares, but it never connects...

ercchry
03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
limewire :dunno:

theken
03-16-2008, 06:53 PM
isohunt

dj_rice
03-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Limewire Pro

4lti7ude
03-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Get Limewire
Then download Limewire Pro off Limewire
and then Use Limewire Pro lol

googe
03-16-2008, 07:31 PM
itunes
amazon mp3

Senseiz
03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
limewire

or just torrent the entire album

funkedelic
03-16-2008, 08:40 PM
limewire works well been using it for years

Supa Dexta
03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
torrents or bust..

Maddog55
03-16-2008, 09:02 PM
torrents man....individual files are for the birds. Utorrent, Azureus, BitTorrent. Way easier than mp3's. Then you can use isohunt.com, mininova.org, or many others. Download movies, complete TV series, complete discographies of artists. Once you do torrents you'll never go back.

funkedelic
03-16-2008, 11:48 PM
i dont like complete torrents because i usually only like 1 or 2 songs from a cd

Gooseberry
03-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
i dont like complete torrents because i usually only like 1 or 2 songs from a cd

You can opt to only download the files you want.

drtoohotty1
03-17-2008, 12:03 AM
ya utorrent and piratebay FTW and as stated before when you start the DL you can choose which songs to dl

Boat
03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
i heard frostwire was good, havent tried it myself
its the same as limewire except ?????
hahaha

97'Scort
03-17-2008, 12:21 AM
I have two: iTunes and my DJ industry downloader. I can write off music purchases towards the company, and it saves a ton of hassle finding music.

dragonone
03-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic

i used to think that way but i find that i have missed out on so many other good songs
listening to an album from start to finish is an entirely different experience than listening to a mix

TVG
03-17-2008, 04:03 AM
I can get any single song on DC++, but lately I've just been using rapidshare for the whole albums since I have an account.

old&slow
03-17-2008, 04:53 AM
http://thepiratebay.org/browse.php

AyuRo
03-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Gooseberry

You can opt to only download the files you want.

Then you might as well just use limewire

Ntense_SpecV
03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by AyuRo

Then you might as well just use limewire

Why would you still just use limewire? Seeing as how I could be downloading a full disography of an album, and downloading individual songs that I know for sure is the right file. You can't do that using Limewire. Also by using a p2p it may or may not be the right file seeing as how I've had it many a time where people didn't know the song name so they named it something like JayZ_thatsongwherehegoesyoyo.mp3 and crap like that - and it turns out to be something not even rap.

Moe Man
04-07-2008, 05:38 PM
bearshare???

DeeK
04-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55
Once you do torrents you'll never go back.

:thumbsup: :werd:

syeve
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
bearshare???
I use bearshare. I have never had a problem, always clean tracks. :thumbsup:

rage2
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
itunes. $0.99 a song. Support the artists!

01RedDX
04-08-2008, 01:23 PM

syeve
04-08-2008, 01:29 PM
^^:D

Donmega
04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Torrents FTW. with anything else, expect viruses and hords of spyware!

only problem is you can't download at school (SAIT):banghead:

3g4u
04-08-2008, 04:03 PM
mininova.org is good. Demonoid used to be the shit.

shakalaka
04-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I use limewire been using it for years and works just fine. If you like individual songs then use that, if younlike downloading full albums thm get torrents. I use bitcomet for movies and all the other things.

eb0i
04-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by rage2

:werd:

I really like the convenience of iTunes. :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
04-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Support the artists by going to concerts & buying merchandise. Music sales get funneled off by bloated and inefficient record labels to support overpriced executive salaries and perks, leaving the artist with comparatively little for their work.

I'm all for supporting the artist, but not so much for supporting slowly adapting record labels that are so out of touch with their consumers.

Trent Reznor seems to have it sorted out though. Labels need to realize that the album is no longer the product, but more of a vehicle to promote the brand of an artist, the money is in touring and merchandising.

kamatayan
04-08-2008, 05:58 PM
P2P Search Engine

Torrentz
BitLord
Torrent Leech
Torrent Reactor
Torrent Spy
Mininova
ISO hunt
BT Junkie
Orb Design
Torrent Box
Full Releases
DC Torrent
Desinova
Pirate Bay
Titanium Torrents
IM Torrents
Bitenova
Bolywood Torrents
Desi Torrents
Independent Desi Releasers
Aradi Tracker
BitmeTV
Torrent-Damage
TV Torrents
Torrentit
Torrentleech
Demonoid
Bitme
Music-Vid
Seedler

Sumotorrent :thumbsup:
Torrent Portal :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

P2P & File Sharing Technology is completely legal. There are an countless number of legal uses for content found on P2P networks (such as to comment upon, criticize or parody a copyrighted work.). However, many of the files traded via P2P are copyrighted to their original owners and their rights need to be respected. Check your local laws to find out when file sharing is considered piracy in your country.

TorrentPortal is like Google™ in that it only links to .torrent metafiles and takes a cache of such files. None of the data transferred by or stored on TorrentPortal servers is content linked to by .torrent files.

Unless you live in Canada, downloading copyrighted material via P2P may put you at risk for a lawsuit. Canadian users are currently shielded from P2P lawsuits. Canada signed the 1997 World Intellectual Property Organization Internet Treaties, but has not yet ratified them by enacting their provisions into domestic law. Recently there has been class-action suits filed against users who copy and distribute copyrighted material without regard for the law. The MPAA, RIAA and the governments of both England and Australia have taken several thousand users to court demanding thousands of dollars. Your ISP may, on their own judgment, give their logs of your downloading activity to those who request it. In those situations, the more you download and share, the more risk you put yourself at.

Please keep all this in mind before you use any portion of TorrentPortal.

Know your local laws and be sure you are following them.

“Fans who share music are not thieves or pirates. Sharing music has been happening for decades.” - CMCC (Canadian Music Creators Coalition)
(Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sum 41, Stars, Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace), Dave Bidini (Rheostatics), Billy Talent, Sloan, and more!)

Torrentportal.com

Maddog55
04-08-2008, 06:25 PM
^^ Goddamn.....one of the most informative and well written posts I've ever read. Nicely done.

brucebanner
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I've been using limewire and such programs for a while and would like to get into using torrents but I don't know how (I feel really stupid haha).

..man I feel dumb

Any pointers?

EDIT: I think I got it after messing around for a bit haha.

googe
04-08-2008, 06:53 PM
i love how everyone on beyond thinks they're such a baller, buying $300+ pairs of jeans and getting the cheapest BMW to show off the badge, but cant drop a loonie on a song :rofl:

Originally posted by badatusrnames

Support the artists by going to concerts & buying merchandise. Music sales get funneled off by bloated and inefficient record labels to support overpriced executive salaries and perks, leaving the artist with comparatively little for their work.

I'm all for supporting the artist, but not so much for supporting slowly adapting record labels that are so out of touch with their consumers.

Trent Reznor seems to have it sorted out though. Labels need to realize that the album is no longer the product, but more of a vehicle to promote the brand of an artist, the money is in touring and merchandising.

that's not how it works. i'm not going to go into it, but whoever you heard that from doesn't know anything about the industry.

artists need way more support through record sales than people realize.

Originally posted by kamatayan
Fans who share music are not thieves or pirates. Sharing music has been happening for decades.

yeah, they pretty much are. sharing is tossing a song or 2 back and forth, and buying more than you download. torrenting full albums is blatant wreckless piracy.

"sharing" decades ago was dubbing shitty sounding songs onto a single tape that couldnt be reproduced instantly into thousands, so thats kind of a retarded analogy.

^^ Goddamn.....one of the most informative and well written posts I've ever read. Nicely done.

he copied and pasted it from a piracy site :nut:

Maddog55
04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by googe
i love how everyone on beyond thinks they're such a baller, buying $300+ pairs of jeans and getting the cheapest BMW to show off the badge, but cant drop a loonie on a song :rofl:

that's not how it works. i'm not going to go into it, but whoever you heard that from doesn't know anything about the industry.

artists need way more support through record sales than people realize.

yeah, they pretty much are. sharing is tossing a song or 2 back and forth, and buying more than you download. torrenting full albums is blatant wreckless piracy.

"sharing" decades ago was dubbing shitty sounding songs onto a single tape that couldnt be reproduced instantly into thousands, so thats kind of a retarded analogy.

he copied and pasted it from a piracy site :nut:

As long as my country and lawmakers tell me its legal to do it...I will continue to do it. Dont hate the player hate the game :bigpimp:

My industry has suffered from manufacturers and distributors doing things that, while perectly legal, has cost the individual contractor hundreds of thousands (hundreds of millions if you consider all involved) of dollars....thats life...deal with it. Adapt. change your industry......

Now excuse me while I download a few gigs of music and movies and add to my library

Cry me a river.

rmk
04-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I pay for new, innovative music that is created by ARTISTS. I steal music that is created by suits in boardrooms.

Maddog55
04-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by rmk
I pay for new, innovative music that is created by ARTISTS. I steal music that is created by suits in boardrooms.

While some may choose to do that...and someone else may choose to make donations to help artists of their choice...Good for them both...but others who d/l music through P2P in Canada are not "Stealing" music. Stealing is illegal...d/l music in Canada is not.

(edited...didn't mean you, per se, RMK...just using "you" as a collective term)

googe
04-08-2008, 08:10 PM

As long as my country and lawmakers tell me its legal to do it...I will continue to do it. Dont hate the player hate the game :bigpimp:

My industry has suffered from manufacturers and distributors doing things that, while perectly legal, has cost the individual contractor hundreds of thousands (hundreds of millions if you consider all involved) of dollars....thats life...deal with it. Adapt. change your industry......

Now excuse me while I download a few gigs of music and movies and add to my library

Cry me a river.

Probably about twice my age, and using high school wigger slang to back up a complete lack of integrity. What a hero!

but others who d/l music through P2P in Canada are not "Stealing" music. Stealing is illegal...d/l music in Canada is not.

I think we can all agree that the letter of the law has little to do with what we do and don't think is acceptable. That doesn't stop people trying to justify their morally reprehensible behavior from quoting it, only when it's convenient. Have you ever gone above 110km/h on highway 2?

And you realize, the only reason you have any music at all to listen to, is because of people like me that pay for it, right? I guess in a way, I'm buying it for you. If both of us were too lame to pay for it, there wouldn't even be anything to pirate.

So, you're welcome I guess :rofl:

Maddog55
04-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by googe

Probably about twice my age, and using high school wigger slang to back up a complete lack of integrity. What a hero!

I think we can all agree that the letter of the law has little to do with what we do and don't think is acceptable. That doesn't stop people trying to justify their morally reprehensible behavior from quoting it, only when it's convenient. Have you ever gone above 110km/h on highway 2?

:rofl: What a fuckin clown you are. Here you stand all high and mighty and "full of Integrity"?? rofl...you're a joke.

On one hand, you say you fully support your artists and scoff and question the integrity of anyone else that uses legal means to save some money... Yet you fully support bypassing local car dealers and merchants by buying and bringing in US vehicles (all perfectly legal ...) to what...."Support the Canadian car salesmen.."???

You do it because its legal and you can save yourself thousands of dollars by not buying from local merchants.

I personally know guys here in Calgary having a tough time keeping a job and putting food on the table for their familes because of lost sales by people buying in the states now.

Integrity....nice one!!

:rolleyes:

kamatayan
04-08-2008, 09:06 PM
http://tn3-1.deviantart.com/300W/images3.deviantart.com/i/2004/093/e/d/Oh_Canada.jpg

01RedDX
04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

kamatayan
04-09-2008, 12:56 AM
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/Kingkalag/iSteal.jpg

;)

choirboy
04-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by kamatayan
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/Kingkalag/iSteal.jpg

;)

Great image!!! lol

I pirate everything and will always do it(music, dvds, games, satellite, etc). I also buy cars from the US.

Though I could care less what anyone else chooses to do for themself. If you want to buy music, cds via stores, itunes, etc....good for you, that is your choice.

If one wants to do the opposite and pirate, I dont care either. Its your life, do what you want with it. No ones opinion bout what is right or wrong(in their mind) will influence my decisions one bit.

bigbadboss101
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Is there a site that you can go and pay a 'bulk' rate? I like to buy some songs for $1 each but I dont' want to spend 3,000 for songs. If there is a volume discount that would be good.

Maddog55
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Is there a site that you can go and pay a 'bulk' rate? I like to buy some songs for $1 each but I dont' want to spend 3,000 for songs. If there is a volume discount that would be good.

If you want to help out the musicians..make donations to specific groups. If you don't want to spend a buck a tune (there's no bulk rate) then why not just download them freely when its perfectly legal, here in Canada?

But..lol..I'm with Choirboy.

rmk
04-09-2008, 07:03 PM
I believe radio stations pay a fee per song play. Something like .5 or .10 cents. Correct me if I am wrong.

01RedDX
04-09-2008, 08:09 PM

googe
04-09-2008, 09:17 PM
some perspective from actual artists, correcting some misconceptions...

this project for me is one part fun, one part learning experience. trying to go it alone, without a label to convolute my efforts is very terrifying, chaotic, and challenging. but all in a very positive way. many many dark corners and unknowns. it’s liberating but still pretty damn scary. this is a very very expensive education. i could very easily lose my ass on this whole thing. but it’s sort of ok. i can afford a new ass.
anyway…

lot’s of controversy flying about regarding downloading. time to throw my 2 cents in. downloading wont effect me TOO much. but it will affect those bands right on the edge. bands who could use the hundred bucks to make it to the next town to play a show (gas and food aren’t free. go figure) . or could use some cash to record a new record.( imagine that. it actually takes money to record a record.) i can afford to pay for the recording of my record. i’m one of the lucky ones. (thanks to nirvana and the label feeding frenzy, i won the early 90’s grunge lottery.) but those days are history. in order for young bands to survive nowadays, they need to get paid for their efforts. touring costs money. recording costs money. unless you’re ok with bands recording their songs on their Palm Treo. personally i went the extra mile and tried to incorporate that ancient and illusive medium known as “analog tape.” because, and i can hear the yawns welling up as i type… because it sounds better. the machines are expensive and a pain in the ass to maintain but they’re worth it. that is unless people are just gonna steal your efforts. then it’s a big fat FUCK NO, IT”S NOT WORTH IT. so don’t be douche bags. support the process.

devils advocate… it feels like the digital landscape has widened peoples appreciation of new music. it’s placed alternative forms of music in front of those who may not have been exposed otherwise. it feels like people are more excited about music than they have been in a long time. but for fuck sake… pay the man for his song and dance. otherwise the only people who can afford to record quality music are the cookie cutter boy bands with their corporate sponsors and media machines.(Dick In Box Excluded, of course) please do your best to support bands like Autolux, the Burning Brides, Isis, etc… they need you. i need you, but they need you more. having said that…
i’m doing this pretty much on my own. no label support aside from the distributor. it’s a HUGE learning curve. but if i can navigate it, i will be able to share what i’ve learned. i can make it easier for other bands that are trying to do it on their own. make it possible for us all to survive in our little microcosms rather than fall victim to the seductive song of the sirens… the expensive and impersonal macrocosm of the major label dog and pony show.
once again, thank you for your efforts.

m j keenan
professional dumbass

"I can't afford to buy it, but I want it anyway."
Unless you're diabetic and you're talking about Insulin, this is no kind of excuse for ANYTHING. This is the definition of stealing. Most of us are not wealthy enough to afford everything we'd like to have, but we don't run wild in the streets looting everything in sight because of it.

"Record labels are just screwing their artists, and I don't want to support this."
There is no doubt that the record industry is a shady one. There is a lot of corruption, a lot of lying, and a lot of bands do get screwed over. But by bootlegging the band's releases, how are you being any better than the record company? Sure, there's a chance that a band whose release you buy may be signed to a horrible label and will never see your money. But if you simply download without buying, you're GUARANTEEING that they won't see that money. Isn't it better to take the chance that they WILL?

"Most albums are so crappy, I shouldn't have to pay for them anyway"
In this day and age, it's kind of difficult to feel sorry for people who continually buy bad albums. It's very easy to research these things, and MP3s can be very helpful in that respect. But you also have at your fingertips countless e-zines, print zines, internet radio stations, etc. If you find an album where there's really only one song you like, consider looking for a compilation that has that song on it. Tons of these compilations come out in Europe, so check out some of the online and mail order places. This way, you get the song you want in a nice, legal manner, and you also get a compilation to check out some new bands at the same time!

"You can take a car for a test drive, so why not music?"
This is great if you truly test-drive your music like you test drive a car. When you test drive a car, you spend some time getting to know it and decide if you like it, and when you go home that night to make your decision, you leave the car at the dealership. You don't get to keep it without paying until you come to a decision. I think a fair method of evaluation is what I call the 'Rule of Five'. If you have downloaded an MP3, allow yourself to play it five times (they can be very different times, obviously), and then delete it. If you like the CD, go out and buy it, and if you don't like it enough to buy it, then you shouldn't object to deleting it from your hard drive.

"$20 is WAY too much for a CD to cost. Screw those record labels!"
Most labels sell their CDs to retailers as a certain set 'wholesale' price, say, $7-10. The additional amount tacked onto that price is all going to the retailer, not the label. $20 absolutely IS too much to pay for a CD of a domestic release. But there is also no reason you NEED to pay that much if you are picky about the retailers you buy from. Huge chain stores tend to have a huge mark-up on CDs because they're usually conveniently located and easy for most people to shop at. These are essentially the convenience stores of the music world. And just like you wouldn't do your grocery shopping at a convenience store because of the expense, you shouldn't buy your music that way. We live in the age of the Internet, so go online and do some research. There are tons of resources available for buying music online and comparing prices is really easy.

"People used to make mix tapes all the time, and that didn't hurt anything. This is the same thing."
Not really. A cassette's frequency response is about half of what a CD or MP3 is, so in most cases the sound quality is nowhere near the same. Secondly, if you wanted to distribute multiple copies of a tape, you had to duplicate them in real time, which obviously limits the amount of copies one could potentially make. With an MP3, all you have to do is rip it, upload it, and suddenly thousands of people have access to it simultaneously. Thus, the implications of file-sharing are far great-reaching than they were for mix tapes.

"Those guys are rock stars. They make so much money as it is, why should I give them my money I worked hard for at my crappy job?"
This is the king of all misconceptions. Here are the facts:

• Most of the bands in this scene have day jobs just as crappy as yours. Very few bands in this scene are living off their music only. This means that in addition to working some soul-crushing office job just like you every day, they also put in most of their free time to making albums for you to enjoy. Isn't that worth something?

• And even in the case of the musicians lucky enough to be making a living off their music, why should they be deprived of a paycheck just because they happen to have a cool job? The bottom line is this. If you enjoy an artist's work, the right thing to do is buy their music.

Originally posted by bigbadboss101

I believe iTunes recently said that they're coming out with a flat-rate subscription model...so, 1 monthly fee, all you can eat. I don't think it's in effect yet though.

Inzane
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM

2nd. That's how I cast my vote.