PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run - Am I screwed

zerocon
03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
so a few nights ago I returned from watching a game at the soccer dome in Calgary. I went into my house and hour later (3:08), I heard a loud CRASH... I went outside to investigate and heard someone peeling off at the 4-way just up the street. I checked out the passenger side of my car from the doorstep and saw no damage or anything amiss so I went back to bed thinking someone just hit a dumpster or something of that sort.

About 6 A.M. My neighbor rang on my doorbell to tell someone had hit both my cars in my driveway. I went out to see that my camry had been sideswipped (with damage all the way down and my mirror 2 yards up) then continued along the corolla and knocked the mirror off. anyways, So I reported it to the mounties that morning and got that all taken care of. I reported it to my insurance who said that an adjuster would give me a call within the week. I went and got the damage quote saying it was over 3k of damage, Then my insurance called me to say that they had not even received my policy yet but if they would not cover one bit even though I had comprehensive coverage on my car. I was literally told "even when your not present at a car we only cover things such as vandalism with a bat because a bat is NOT moving when it strikes your vehicle but a car is"

anywhooo when I went to my parents insurance company (state farm) they said it would be covered and I went to another friends insurance and they said they also would have covered me.

My question is, is there a universal insurance standard for comprehensive coverage and I am just getting screwed? Why has my adjuster not called me back at all? Why haven't I received my copy of the policy yet?

Is there anything I can do as well? Or am I just completely screwed and out of luck? Should I fight my insurance over this?

Sorry for the huge messy post but I am desperate for any advice or knowledge.

Jlude
03-17-2008, 03:31 PM
tell your insurance company to f'n cover it and stop being idiots... or they better get the neighbors kid to warm up their car in the mornin'... know what I mean. *Key turns* BOOM!

us722
03-17-2008, 03:34 PM
thats like saying a tree fell on your car....and insurance company says "we only cover trees that are smaller than 5m"
good luck with that rip off

JordanAndrew
03-17-2008, 03:37 PM
My insurance covers those kinds of things as well so I dunno why yours shouldn't. Do you have a copy of your policy? Read it carefully and if not ask for a copy and make sure they aren't just fucking you around.

LadyLuck
03-17-2008, 03:38 PM
keep calling your adjuster...otherwise you'll be waiting forever

2002civic
03-17-2008, 03:42 PM
what company do you use?

topmade
03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
The person you spoke to might just not know what they are talking about, but check your policy to make sure so that your not fighting a lost battle. They could of been sneaky and cut off certain coverages to reduce your premiums, but still giving you "full coverage".

Thaco
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by us722
thats like saying a tree fell on your car....and insurance company says "we only cover trees that are smaller than 5m"
good luck with that rip off they only cover the ficus

2002civic
03-17-2008, 04:02 PM
this happened to me when i didn't have collision on my car

HybridTheory
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Do you only have comp coverage on your car? Or do you have collision too? From my knowledge, a hit and run is classified as a collision.

RATM
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
what company do you use?

shamez
03-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Get a copy of your policy and read it through. Im not to sure what kind of coverage you have, however, when i had my celica insured with state farm i got a hit an run in my alley and i had third party insurance, so nothing was covered. However both my cars were hit and the other had full coverage on it, all i needed was a police report and they covered me fully.

Speed_69
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
To my understanding as well..hit and run is covered under collision coverage. If you don't have collision coverage..you might be out of luck.

Isaiah
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
I've been covered for a h/r in the past so I believe it's standard. That said, I'm currently with State Farm but looking to switch.

canuckcarguy
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
I think you need collision coverage, like those other posters. Your car was involved in a collision. Not sure if the policy for uninsured motorists would apply here, but I don't think so...

Maybe call the insurance bureau and ask?

Destinova403
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
I think you need collision coverage, like those other posters. Your car was involved in a collision. Not sure if the policy for uninsured motorists would apply here, but I don't think so...

thats how it is on my insurance... you need collision coverage in order to be covered in a hit and run if the other person isn't caught.

im with AMA.

tom_9109
03-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Comprehensive does not have hit and run. Collision coverage does. If you don't have collision you're screwed unless they catch the other vehicle.

Gibson
03-17-2008, 05:27 PM
what company do you use?

403Gemini
03-17-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Do you only have comp coverage on your car? Or do you have collision too? From my knowledge, a hit and run is classified as a collision.

Confirming, hit and runs are COLLISION, not COMPREHENSIVE. If you don't carry collision on your policy id tell you you're shit out of luck.

hassanc21
03-17-2008, 05:32 PM
By the way. A bat is moving when it hits your car. Tell them to pull their heads out of their asses.

climer
03-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Comprehensive does not have hit and run. Collision coverage does. If you don't have collision you're screwed unless they catch the other vehicle.

Exactly.

Having no collision coverage is pretty silly unless you have a car which is pretty much disposable.

Xtrema
03-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Since they are damaged on your driveway, house insurance?

BTW, this is AMA's definition. Compare your policy to this, I'm sure it's similar.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/ama/web/insurance_Personal-Auto-Insurance-Coverage.htm

tom_9109
03-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Since they are damaged on your driveway, house insurance?

BTW, this is AMA's definition. Compare your policy to this, I'm sure it's similar.

http://www.ama.ab.ca/cps/rde/xchg/ama/web/insurance_Personal-Auto-Insurance-Coverage.htm

House insurance won't cover a car.

ralliart_girl
03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy

Uninsured motorist usually only covers injuries..

boxer23
03-17-2008, 07:29 PM

House insurance won't cover a car.

:rofl:

Ichigo
03-17-2008, 07:34 PM
well if your insurance covers vandalism I dont see why you cant say your car was vandalized..

tom_9109
03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
well if your insurance covers vandalism I dont see why you cant say your car was vandalized..

Why can't you lie and say it was vandalized? Thats plain stupid. The appraiser who comes and looks at it will be able to tell its a collision as opposed to a boot fucking. Nothing like suggesting someone commit fraud. Good input:thumbsup:

rc2002
03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by climer

Exactly.

Having no collision coverage is pretty silly unless you have a car which is pretty much disposable.

That's what I used to think too, but there are more people than you'd think who would rather gamble and save the extra couple hundred bucks a year.

I can think of at least 2 or 3 threads here on beyond in the last little while of people getting into this same situation and asking for advice.

anhsicun
03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
i got into a hit and run insurance was a b*tch i tell u but call the 1-800- claim number those people can help u out instead of a broker. after all and done my car got written off but i had full coverage on mine.

ralliart_girl
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM

Why can't you lie and say it was vandalized? Thats plain stupid. The appraiser who comes and looks at it will be able to tell its a collision as opposed to a boot fucking. Nothing like suggesting someone commit fraud. Good input:thumbsup:

:werd: I can't believe people think that the trained appraisers that appraise vehicles for a living (sometimes having more experience under their belt then the age of the person who is trying to lie...) can't tell the difference between vandalism, and a collision....

403Gemini
03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by anhsicun
i got into a hit and run insurance was a b*tch i tell u but call the 1-800- claim number those people can help u out instead of a broker. after all and done my car got written off but i had full coverage on mine.

... thats because the broker doesnt deal with claims... the claims agents do. You know, those people you talk to with the 1.800 #? Thats who the broker calls/faxes after you leave the office...

canuckcarguy
03-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Ichigo

Shoot, why stop there? If you feel like defrauding the insurance company, you could also claim they stole your gold plated mirrors. Then, for good measure, why not roll the appraiser for his wallet and watch when he shows up on your doorstep?

Nice constructive comment. the OP came here for some advice, not to get into worse trouble.

zerocon
03-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Sorry for not being clear guys... :(
I only have comprehensive coverage no collision so yes I am probably screwed, oh well lesson learned :P and my insurance is through Dominion...

The funny thing is though my broker TOLD me with a witness present that hit and run was covered under comprehensive (the main reason for me not GETTING collision because hit and run WAS covered under comprehensive )... So when I went back the lady who signed my policy actually had to ask everyone else there "Is hit and run covered under comprehensive" and no one there seemed to be able to give me an answer... But I understand this doesnt help my case whatsover as they are my broker and not actually my insurance provider

But to be honest, I see where Ichigo is coming from because it very well could have been intentional and you would call it vandalism... hell they could have been driving down the road hitting off mirrors with a bat and just got a little to close to mine :P but there is no way in hell I would be caught lying to my company...

oh well shit outta luck... I just wanted to cover all my bases :P

Oh btw thanks for all the helpful responses! I really appreciate it beyond! :clap:

tom_9109
03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Do you have photos of the damages? Have you considered having it fixed yourself on the cheap??

zerocon
03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
I have over 50 photos... Its not that much damage... but still I would rather have gottten it fixed right then by myself... I have a colour matching parts car for most of the damage :) but there is some i wont be able to fix... Ill post some pics eventually. Ive already replaced the mirror (thank god)

tom_9109
03-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Well good luck. I bet whoever hit you lives near your house. Maybe take a little drive around the area and see if there is any damage to vehicles.

403Gemini
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by zerocon
I only have comprehensive coverage no collision so yes I am probably screwed, oh well lesson learned :P and my insurance is through Dominion...

The funny thing is though my broker TOLD me with a witness present that hit and run was covered under comprehensive (the main reason for me not GETTING collision because hit and run WAS covered under comprehensive )... So when I went back the lady who signed my policy actually had to ask everyone else there "Is hit and run covered under comprehensive" and no one there seemed to be able to give me an answer... But I understand this doesnt help my case whatsover as they are my broker and not actually my insurance provider

But to be honest, I see where Ichigo is coming from because it very well could have been intentional and you would call it vandalism... hell they could have been driving down the road hitting off mirrors with a bat and just got a little to close to mine :P but there is no way in hell I would be caught lying to my company...

Oh btw thanks for all the helpful responses! I really appreciate it beyond! :clap:

Theres a reason why brokers dont adjust claims :rolleyes: (No offense Masked bandit... ;) )

zerocon
03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Well good luck. I bet whoever hit you lives near your house. Maybe take a little drive around the area and see if there is any damage to vehicles.

I live right close to to the highway in okotoks (so he prolly just went up the deerfoot (same night as that guy hit those construction workers and only 30-40 minutes later HMMM!!!)... it was probably someone leaving town from the local bar :( but yeah i have spent hours driving around... dude left 3 pieces of his vehicle at the scene... an especially huge piece stuck in my wheel well... :D so atleast I did more damage to him probably then he did to me

Ichigo
03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by zerocon

Thanks bro, I'm glad someone thinks with an open mind. I'm all about loopholes not fraud. You pay for something so you minus well try to see if you can get it. Sorry to hear you're out of luck btw.

zerocon
03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Its just getting ridiculous that they took were so quick to take my money making sure they take it out every month at the same time...

but yet they haven't been able to send me a "real" pink card and haven't "Received my policy" yet so they haven't sent my copy to me.... then this adjuster not calling me back after telling me waiting for my "claims number" and all this other B.S.

ah well....

tom_9109
03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by KyleTA
Hit and run only falls under collision if you are IN the vehicle. You were not in your vehicle, therefore it is a comprehensive claim. If your insurance co. tells you different they are fucking you....

Hi, you have no idea what you're talking about. :thumbsdow

canuckcarguy
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I could be wrong here, but typically the broker has the ability to bind coverage - ie, if he or she told you that you were covered for something, you should be covered for it. If you have evidence that you were specifically told hit and runs were covered, you are technically entitled to the coverage. The broker likely has errors and omissions coverage to cover his / her ass on this.

Mind you, this is only if you can prove that you were specifically told of this coverage. If you can't prove it, you're screwed.

zerocon
03-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I cant prove it whatsoever besides "he said she says" buuut hey... I just figured it was worth fighting it... but anyways they are still fucking with me, not giving me a copy policy, not giving me a "real pink slip", they told my broker that they had not received my policy yet...