PDA

View Full Version : auto insurance for new immigrant

lilmira
03-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I have a question for the auto insurance experts here.

For a new immigrant who has been driving back home for years, is it still a good idea to take road lessons as well as classes for insurance purposes? All I know is that they don't have to go through the GDL program and get the Class5 right away.

Trini
03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
always good to take the defensive driving classes that help with insurance reduction.
MAY also help to have your insurance company in the "home" country send records to the new insurance company to show you had a clean driving record if you had one.

Masked Bandit
03-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Generally speaking, insurance & driving history "back home" doesn't get you any credit with the companies here. Where is "home"?

Take the full driver training course. If you just do the in-car and not the in-class, you will not get the credit.

Also, what type of vehicle are you looking at insuring?

Trini
03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
^in the person home country.
*shrug* I've heard ppl. getting reductions for having a clean record.

lilmira
03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Generally speaking, insurance & driving history "back home" doesn't get you any credit with the companies here. Where is "home"?

Take the full driver training course. If you just do the in-car and not the in-class, you will not get the credit.

Also, what type of vehicle are you looking at insuring?

Thanks for the advice, that's what the driving school told us. I just wasn't sure if they were telling the truth or trying to sell the whole lesson/class package that we might not need.

I'm an old immigrant. :D This is for a family member who just moved here. We'll probably just get a compact sedan of some sort, nothing fancy.

TomcoPDR
03-17-2008, 07:08 PM
+1 take the local driving school course... always nice to get a refresher on the local road signs and rules; plus a reduction on insurance. Even some signs in Ontario aren't used in Alberta for example.

mekeni
03-17-2008, 09:21 PM
yup, always take the course...

gmoney82
03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
edit: the only reduction/discount I'm aware of that insurance companies give is for driver's training (ex: AMA drivers training for new drivers)

never heard of a discount given for driving courses taken by an already licensed driver

gmoney82
03-18-2008, 01:24 PM
FYI: ING gives 'years licensed' credit for drivers from approved countries which goes towards your 'grid rating' and not star rating, but it could save tons of $$ if you can get proper proof showing you've been driving a number of years without accidents.

Senseiz
03-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82
edit: the only reduction/discount I'm aware of that insurance companies give is for driver's training (ex: AMA drivers training for new drivers)

never heard of a discount given for driving courses taken by an already licensed driver

Yeah, I called the insurance regarding that. After 3 years of driving experience, the course is useless except for demerit reductions.

lilmira
03-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by gmoney82

From what we were told, they can waive the GDL program providing that the foreign driver's license is checked. She would still have to complete the knowledge test and the road test to get the Class5 license.

She has passed the written test already. I was going to ask her to get a few hours of lesson with an instructor on the road to get used to the roads here before doing the road test.

We talked to a few driving schools and they all insist that she should do the whole class/road lessons as if she is a new driver.

So which is the proper way?

Xtrema
03-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Won't hurt to take the lesson and learn a few things. North American roads are forgiving but there are signs and rule she may not accustom to.

gmoney82
03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Won't hurt to take the lesson and learn a few things. North American roads are forgiving but there are signs and rule she may not accustom to.

Yah take the course, it helps especially in a new country.
BTW what country is she from?

If her insurance papers cannot be obtained or are deemed useless for alberta insurance she might as well start as a fresh new driver in alberta with credit given for drivers training (3* for most companies). Just call a broker to work out the figures.