PDA

View Full Version : Mi Tierra

dannie
03-18-2008, 10:44 AM
There is a new Mexican restaurant in Oakridge. It's on the corner of Southland and Oakridge Drive. It's a total take out place, but we have been there once a week (at least) for the last few months, and I am still super impressed. Really cheap, true Mexican food and really friendly. It's a husband and wife that own it. The wife works the store side and the husband cooks in the take-out side. I think between the two of us (and my staff), we have all tried everything off that menu... and its always awesome! The beef burrito is HUGE and the Entomatadas are awesome. You all have to go try it!!! It's the best mexican restaurant in Calgary, hands down!!

Oh... don't go in expecting it to be super fancy, it's a hole in the wall take-out place

a social dsease
03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the review, I will have to check it out as I love mexican food and I only live a few blocks away in Oakridge.

frozenrice
04-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Great find!
I decided to try this place on the way home tonight. I don't know Mexican food that well and it's been a long time since I've had anything outside of Taco Time or Taco Bell, but I can honestly say the food was amazing. I definately will go there again.
The owner was telling me that they're going to be offering table service. From what I could understand she said they just opened up the new half just last Saturday. It's fairly empty right now, just a table or two and a few bar stools at the bar.

dannie
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Yeah, they closed down for 2 weeks to renovate. It's my favorite Mexican place in the city. Plus the couple that owns it are super nice

OzzyOzzman
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by dannie
There is a new Mexican restaurant in Oakridge. It's on the corner of Southland and Oakridge Drive. It's a total take out place, but we have been there once a week (at least) for the last few months, and I am still super impressed. Really cheap, true Mexican food and really friendly. It's a husband and wife that own it. The wife works the store side and the husband cooks in the take-out side. I think between the two of us (and my staff), we have all tried everything off that menu... and its always awesome! The beef burrito is HUGE and the Entomatadas are awesome. You all have to go try it!!! It's the best mexican restaurant in Calgary, hands down!!

Oh... don't go in expecting it to be super fancy, it's a hole in the wall take-out place

This is the actual address:

2-10015 Oakfield Drive SW, Calgary, AB T2V 1S9

nonlinear
02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
best mexican in calgary, hands down. we go about once per week, usually for a weekend lunch because they have short hours and we usually eat supper late.

since dannie first posted this about a year ago, they have gotten rid of the store and focused more on being a restaurant - including getting real plates and silverware (as opposed to the plastic fork and knife you used to get. yea it was great fun eating a tostada from a circular aluminum tray with a plastic fork LOL).

more information on Mi Tierra in this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108915&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3

dannie
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Meh, the plastic forks and aluminum plates made it fun :D

But yes, I am there once a week as well. The food is still the best I have had here, the people are great and I have yet to be disappointed.

RY213
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
I also love this place, I wish I had the time to go there once a week, if I lived in Oakridge I'd be there all the time! Enchiladas de Mole are crazy good!!!

nonlinear
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
i was in there last saturday night for dinner. it was absolutely packed, and we even had to wait for about 30 minutes before getting a table and ordering our food. i'm not sure if it's always like this on saturday nights, but during lunch on the weekend there is usually no more than 2-3 tables.

FFWD did a review about a week ago, maybe this is bringing in some new customers? i sure hope so, as calgary is starving for food like this, and I want to see these guys succeed!

malcolmk14
02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Love this place, I try to make it down at least once a month. Glad to hear it's getting more business as of late.

My dad loves Mexican food and was totally in love with this place in Dubai called Mama Bonita's Taco Shop. When I took him to Mi Tierra he couldn't believe the quality. Mexican food in Calgary has come a long way.

Nissanaddict
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Just went by there again. The $3.50 tacos are so simple, but very very tasty. I'm so glad I moved right into the area....3 weeks after returning from Mexico of all places about a year ago. It, is, epic.

pinoyhero
02-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Super picky questions for those who've been ...

Are the tacos hard shell?
What kind of beef is in there like pulled/shredded or ground?
How are the refried beans?

Weapon_R
02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

haha you know your authentic mexican

pinoyhero
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
^ Haha, should have put the flame suit on, touche!

Wifey loves mexican but is a sucker for hard shells, just curious

nonlinear
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

do you mean deep-fried tacos (which are the authentic way but not actaully "hard"), or those yellow monstrosities you find at grocery stores? at any rate, no they are not hard - these are authentic tacos served with white corn tortillas. they don't have fried tacos on the menu, although they may have them as specials sometimes, or might be able to make them. not sure if that's what your wife is looking for, though, since that's quite a different concept from 'hard' shells.

as for the meat, they have like 20 (i'm guessing) different varieties, depending on which dish you get... some is sliced, some chopped, some shredded, some ground, etc. etc. etc. it's not like taco bell where they have only ground beef and chicken, poured from plastic bags into the line warmer.

the refried beans are excellent!

seriously man, if you're asking such silly questions why don't you just go check it out. if your old lady won't eat the fucking tacos the way they are supposed to be made, either tell her to get something else or dump the bitch and find someone better who isn't so damn picky :poosie:

EDIT: but didn't i recall you going to rincon latino and saying it was OK? if you liked that place, i guarentee you'll love Mi Tierra 498572347523475923759823478597234859 times better.

shit, i think i might have to pop over there now for lunch

funkedelic2
02-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Nice, its so hard to find good latin food anywhere around here. I'm latino so once in a while my mom will make me a good dish here and there.:drool: Im going to Calgary tomorrow, ill be sure to check out this spot.

pinoyhero
02-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

do you mean deep-fried tacos (which are the authentic way but not actaully "hard"), or those yellow monstrosities you find at grocery stores? at any rate, no they are not hard - these are authentic tacos served with white corn tortillas. they don't have fried tacos on the menu, although they may have them as specials sometimes, or might be able to make them. not sure if that's what your wife is looking for, though, since that's quite a different concept from 'hard' shells.

as for the meat, they have like 20 (i'm guessing) different varieties, depending on which dish you get... some is sliced, some chopped, some shredded, some ground, etc. etc. etc. it's not like taco bell where they have only ground beef and chicken, poured from plastic bags into the line warmer.

the refried beans are excellent!

seriously man, if you're asking such silly questions why don't you just go check it out. if your old lady won't eat the fucking tacos the way they are supposed to be made, either tell her to get something else or dump the bitch and find someone better who isn't so damn picky :poosie:

EDIT: but didn't i recall you going to rincon latino and saying it was OK? if you liked that place, i guarentee you'll love Mi Tierra 498572347523475923759823478597234859 times better.

shit, i think i might have to pop over there now for lunch

1. Thanks for the info
2. I will check it out but just was asking before I went, sorry for the silly questions, I thought this was a board where that was OK.
3. She's not a bitch, eat dick.
4. Haven't been to RL

nonlinear
02-07-2009, 06:44 PM
^^you know i was just kidding about the bitch part, right :poosie:

nd54
02-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Went here today, it's a bit out of the way but worth going to. Definitely the only decent Mexican place in Calgary, everywhere else is pretty terrible and not really 'Mexican' at all. That being said, it's not as good as average places in California or Mexico, etc... One thing though, for a taco place it really should be much faster. Everything took a long time, even for a normal casual restaurant. I'm sure it will get better though. Anyway if you like real Mexican food you shouldn't go anywhere else in the city.

nonlinear
02-08-2009, 11:34 AM
^^we went for lunch yesterday, and yea, it was a lot slower than usual cause the waitress girl was not there, so the guy (hector, i think) had to take orders AND cook the food.

i'm not trying to make excuses because IMO bad service isn't excusable (even in calgary), but just letting you know why it was so slow.

it's even worse if you try and go on a friday or saturday night. it gets pretty packed in there, and last time it took like at least an hour to order and get our food

Nissanaddict
02-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree Nonlinear, that the beans are nothing short of epic. Every time I go, I have trouble not having the Puerco Bean Burrito every time. It's too damn good.

dannie
07-04-2009, 12:06 AM
I stopped into Mi Tierra for dinner tonite and had a quick chat with Hector. Apparently they are opening a second location at Heritage and Fairmont. It will be more of a restaurant insted of take out which would allow for a liquor licence.

So, keep your eyes open in the next 3-4 months for the new place.

Nissanaddict
11-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Update:

Just popped into Mi Tierra for dinner today, and was told that the location at Heritage and Fairmount will be open right around the end of this month. They will have a liquor license, and they're also close to getting one at the current location as well.