PDA

View Full Version : What course would you take?

pf0sh0
03-18-2008, 11:41 PM
YO, I just want to see what kind of feedback from you guys about what course to take in SAIT. Right now I'm torn between:

A)Instrumentation Engineering Technology
http://www.sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academic/diplomas/aiit.shtml

B)Engineering Design And Drafting Technology
http://www.sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academic/diplomas/aedt.shtml

I can't make up my mind on which I want to go into. I've got some insight from a few other people who would be more knowledgeable in what would be better, but still ahven't had that push that would make me choose one over the other.

If anyone is involved in either of the feilds, or knows useful shit about them, help me pick one:banghead:

Joe-G
03-18-2008, 11:46 PM
None, drop out and work full time Phil. Then you can buy everything you want. ;) LOL jk

pf0sh0
03-18-2008, 11:47 PM
That was helpful. fucker lol

Jlude
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
YO, I just want to see what kind of feedback from you guys about what course to take in SAIT. Right now I'm torn between:

A)Instrumentation Engineering Technology
http://www.sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academic/diplomas/aiit.shtml

B)Engineering Design And Drafting Technology
http://www.sait.ca/pages/cometosait/academic/diplomas/aedt.shtml

I can't make up my mind on which I want to go into. I've got some insight from a few other people who would be more knowledgeable in what would be better, but still ahven't had that push that would make me choose one over the other.

If anyone is involved in either of the feilds, or knows useful shit about them, help me pick one:banghead:

B

Many drafties on beyond... Myself included.

It has lots of potential, although it takes time to become good (like most things).

You can shoot me a pm if you have any questions about it.

Originally posted by Joe-G
None, drop out and work full time Phil. Then you can buy everything you want. ;) LOL jk

Worked for me :rofl: :rofl:

schocker
03-19-2008, 12:07 AM
It is going to depend on wether you want to do full time cadd or working with instrumentation for those two choices. i am taking chemical engineering technology, and have done a little bit of both now, and found the instrumentation stuff pretty boring sofar while the cadd is semi interesting from what we have done sofar. Both have transfer options if you want to pursue a degree after aswell so that is a plus for both of them, and the job market for both should be quite good.

Joe-G
03-19-2008, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Jlude

B

Many drafties on beyond... Myself included.

It has lots of potential, although it takes time to become good (like most things).

You can shoot me a pm if you have any questions about it.

Worked for me :rofl: :rofl:

Oh so your a drafter? Did you finish your course with a degree or a diploma? This route seems tempting...a new S2000 and a New BMW + New residence means a drafting career = :bigpimp:

Jlude
03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G

Oh so your a drafter? Did you finish your course with a degree or a diploma? This route seems tempting...a new S2000 and a New BMW + New residence means a drafting career = :bigpimp:

You clearly missed that I said "Worked for me" in response to you telling the OP to drop out and work full time.

I have no diploma/degree

Joe-G
03-19-2008, 12:28 AM
I thought education was required in order for an employer to even consider an applicant for that field of work? :confused:

Maybe theres more to it that i don't fully know, but hell i have another year before ill be in pf0sh0s situation :D

xcelr8
03-19-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm close to finishing the EDDT program.
In the first semester it feels like a breeze, everything is simple. Then as the semesters go on, the workload gets heavier.
If you choose to go into the program, be prepared to spend your weekends doing homework. Or lunch hours doing work too.
The laptops they provide for the course can be a major distraction too.

Other than that, the job is in high demand right now.

xcelr8
03-19-2008, 12:44 AM
oops double post...

stealth
03-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Instrumentation is pretty good.

pf0sh0
03-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by stealth

dub post mah bad.

pf0sh0
03-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by stealth

Explain?

Yeah, my cousin did electrical engineering and said its boring, and EDDT is even more boring cause its so broad, whereas in IET or EET you get more involved and it is more technical ( and more money) but I'm not so sure about this, I might stick with EDDT:nut:

jav_
03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
im in eet and took this instrumentation course in the first sem...it was the most boring class ive ever taken in my life! i wish we learned dcs and c though :(

rinny
03-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Did you want to be in an office your whole career or did you want to do some field work with the opportunity to get into the office as well?

As jav said earlier, the one instrumentation course we took as part of EET was pretty dry, but it sure came in handy this semester to read a bunch of site and instrument blueprints. Keep in mind we were in school for electrical, so we had little to no interest in instrumentation.

I've heard the EDDT drafters in process pipeline can make a killing, but I know its not in my interest to sit on CAD all day like a zombie.

I'd probably take Instrumentation. If its anything like EET program that i'm in you'll take drafting classes and can always get into the office for drafting, or field work as well.