PDA

View Full Version : need help with insurance and registration!

artieg30
03-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey guys, kind of a newbie question here, i'm about to finish a purchase on a car at a dealership, however I was wondering if I would have to register and insure the car first prior to going to the dealership, or vice versa? Also I was wondering what kind of documents would I need to bring when registering and insuring my car? Any help would be great guys, thanks.

drew_goring
03-22-2008, 05:12 PM
you buy the car, take the documents to your insurance company, get insurance, take that to registries and they sell you a plate and registration.

At least I think that is how it worked when I bought my last new car.

artieg30
03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
but wouldn't i need to be insured before the dealership lets me drive off the lot??

Team_Mclaren
03-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes, you need to do all that before you drive off the lot.

Tik-Tok
03-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by artieg30
but wouldn't i need to be insured before the dealership lets me drive off the lot??

Find the car you want.

Call your insurance with the VIN#

Have them fax you a temporary Insurance paper to the dealership as your signing papers.

Take a DIFFERENT car toRegistry Office, show them temp. ins. paper

Get your plates/registration

Return to dealership.

Put plates on car, and watch the depreciation as you leave the lot.

Enjoy.

drew_goring
03-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Yes...the car sits at the stealership until you purchase insurance and registration.

artieg30
03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
awesome thanks guys, just one more question, will the insurance company and registry need a bill of sale before they will insure /register me?

Tik-Tok
03-22-2008, 05:35 PM
awesome thanks guys, just one more question, will the insurance company and registry need a bill of sale before they will insure /register me?

Registry - Yes

Insurance - No

rage2
03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
It's a lot easier when buying a car from dealership. Just buy insurance, give it to the dealer, and they'll do everything. I've never bought a car from a dealership where they didn't do everything for me.

All they need is a temp pink card, and they'll get plates and put it on for you by the time you're there to pick up the car.

artieg30
03-22-2008, 06:19 PM
sweet, but I already have a current plate i'd like to keep using, can they just register that one for me instead?

dannie
03-22-2008, 08:24 PM
If you are using a reputable dealership, they will have a request form for you to fill out which will ask if you want a new plate or if you want to transfer a plate. You provide the dealership with your insurance, fill in the form and they will obtain your registration for you. If you are not dealing with a reputable dealership, you need to call your insurance company and have them fax you a temporary pink slip for your new vehicle. (They do not need to see the Bill Of Sale). Get a copy of the Bill of Sale from the dealership because you will need this for the registry. Stop by the registry and provide them with the Bill of Sale and Insurance and tell them the plate number you want to use and they will transfer the plate for you. It'll cost you 22 dollars. Get yourself to the dealership and they will put the plate on the car and about a week later you should receive your permanent pink slip from your insurance company

http://www.shawnessyregistry.com/motor_vehicles/transfer_motor_vehicle.php

canuckcarguy
03-22-2008, 08:30 PM
I think once you have the insurance, if you've already got a current plate and you've sold the vehicle it belonged to, you can just put it on the vehicle and drive it away. Pretty sure you have 14 days to register it, though I'd register it right away to avoid any issues with the police.

I know there was a thread on here a couple of months ago about the 14 day thing, but I think that was regarding insurance more so than registration. But certainly if you have insurance on your new car (temporary liability card either faxed or emailed to you) and you're on the way to the registry to register your vehicle, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Good luck with the purchase!

artieg30
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
would I be able to get a new plate and then return it later for an older one i want to use? The plate I want to use is still on my old car, however I haven't gotten around to selling it (so i'll still need the plate so that ppl can test drive etc.). But when I get sell the old car, can i just go back to the registry and give them the new plate I had and use my old one instead? Sounds kinda stupid and complicated but the plate has sentimental value haha

canuckcarguy
03-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Yes. You can go to registries once your current vehicle is sold, and swap the info from your new vehicle into the old plate. Then you can cancel the new plate, and they will refund any remaining amount less an administrative fee. Just make sure you have both vehicles insured for the time being, so that your old car is still covered for test drives.