PDA

View Full Version : Kia Koup - 290 HP FWD

Destinova403
03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
they seem to be taking aim at the SI, MS3 and SRT-4... interesting concept... i wanna see how it will turn out

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/03/kia_koup_unveiled_with_290_hor.html

http://www.thetorquereport.com/kia_koup3-thumb.jpg

nikka
03-22-2008, 09:47 PM
looks like they are trying to knock off the civic si

v2kai
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
wow that doesnt scream si at all!.....

Xtrema
03-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Wait, is this another one of those SUV coupes?

Not bad, but 290 to the front would be a bit much.

Cooked Rice
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
i smell a lawsuit from Honda? :dunno:

Eleanor
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Looks way better then the SI. :thumbsup: if KIA puts this into production (which they won't)

finboy
03-23-2008, 10:25 AM
looks a bit better then the civic, and the interior is WAAAAAY nicer, 1980's spaceship interior FTL

Kamen
03-24-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't like how theres a KIA badging in the middle of the rear seats. Looks so plasticy....plus it's a KIA.

max_boost
03-24-2008, 12:59 AM
WTF! That screams Civic Si!!:drama: :eek: :thumbsdow

peterparker
03-24-2008, 01:04 AM
holy honda si knock off batman

Jlude
03-24-2008, 01:09 AM
debadge it and I'd buy one!

avow
03-24-2008, 01:50 AM
the front looks right off the civic coup and the back right off the new lancer. wow, what a rip off of a car. the interior is really nice and the power sounds great though :D

ZorroAMG
03-24-2008, 02:18 AM
lmao like ANY civic is so ground breaking in design to warrant a copy. Do you not see that the roofline and windshield are actually ATTRACTIVE on this car? The civics look like the retarded brother of the taxi from Total recall.

heavyD
03-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
lmao like ANY civic is so ground breaking in design to warrant a copy. Do you not see that the roofline and windshield are actually ATTRACTIVE on this car? The civics look like the retarded brother of the taxi from Total recall.

Yeah. What's wrong with taking an uninspired, middle of the road design such as the Civic and following through with it and making it look attractive? Blame Honda for not delivering what should have been not Kia for doing just that.

dino_martini
03-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I like it. Looks like the Civic Type R from Europe/UK.

ZorroAMG
03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yeah. What's wrong with taking an uninspired, middle of the road design such as the Civic and following through with it and making it look attractive? Blame Honda for not delivering what should have been not Kia for doing just that.

True...

treg50
03-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Hyundai, Kia... what's up with Korean manufacturers these days? Zero honour. Zero originality? I guess Kia wishes they made the Honda Civic Si coupe.

How can they proudly present this car to the world? This is what their company is about? It's bizarre, it's like a joke.

:dunno:

SeanDon
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
kia = garbage... and the garbage smell too.

89s1
03-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Hyundai, Kia... what's up with Korean manufacturers these days? Zero honour. Zero originality? I guess Kia wishes they made the Honda Civic Si coupe.

How can they proudly present this car to the world? This is what their company is about? It's bizarre, it's like a joke.

I hear ya. Although many manufacturers will "take inspiration" from another companys designs (wether it be exterior or the less noticable interior) Hyundai has been the worst for it in recent memory.

I'll still wanna drive it to see what its like.

KGB
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
at least it has a way better interior than the civic

dino_martini
03-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by SeanDon
kia = garbage... and the garbage smell too.

You know Kia and Hyundai make good cars now right? as good as Toyota or Honda

avow
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

no...

just no...

Daan
03-24-2008, 03:10 PM
looks amazing for a KIA and 290 HP it's incredible

lol at civic si, what a joke of a coupe with it's 198 or whatever hp it has nowadays

Joe-G
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
:barf:

finboy
03-24-2008, 03:20 PM

better, i actually look forward to what kia or hyundai might put out next, i expect to fall asleep to what honda or toyota put out :rofl:

avow
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
http://www.thetorquereport.com/kia_koup5.jpg
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Mitsubishi/Lancer/1/lancer_back.jpg

http://www.thetorquereport.com/kia_koup2.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/image35024_b.thumbnail.jpg

need i say more...

Kavy
03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
strike when the iron is hot :)

its still a kia i dont care how sexy it looks it will fall apart above 100km/hr

ZorroAMG
03-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by avow

need i say more...

Yes. Yes you DO actually. I think the kia looks LOADS better than BOTH those econobox beaters.

JRSC00LUDE
03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

ZorroAMG
03-24-2008, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Kavy

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Says the Subaru owner. You reaaaaalllly shouldn't talk.

JordanEG6
03-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Interesting...looks like this Koup and the Genesis seem to be promising from such striving car companies. It's good they're finally doing well.

To counter these, Honda should put out an "Si-R" Civic (or something similar) with the Turbo J motor...or at least bring the Type-R hatch to North America.

Takemetoothemoo
03-25-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.cartoday.com/content/news/singlepage.asp?in=9040

The seats look like fun

finboy
03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
and a six-speed automatic transmission with steering column-mounted paddle shifters

290 hp and paddle shift tranny, sounds fun :thumbsup:

01RedDX
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM

ZorroAMG
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
If it's no big deal, why'd you post?

Destinova403
03-25-2008, 11:38 PM
am i the only one who thinks it looks sorta like the next evolution of the RSX/Integra...?

Kloubek
03-25-2008, 11:54 PM
290 horses is pretty damn significant. If the price was right (and it probably would be - it's a kia), I would buy one for sure. I think if they did bring it here, it would be a huge hit.

Even with something like 210-260 horses and an even more reasonable price tag. Or have two versions. Maybe 210hp Koup, 260hp Koup R. 260 would make it compete and probably beat the likes of the Eclipse GT, etc. 210 makes it compete with the RSX, and other subcompact sport coupes. All with a Kia price tag and warranty? Something that looks even remotely like that?

HUGE hit if Kia plays it right. But they really should keep it looking like an SI (but better) from the front. The rear looks Lancer-inspired, but much better imo.

This is the first Kia idea that I've ever really liked. They almost had me with the Sorento - but I can't be nearly as passionate about a compact SUV....

01RedDX
03-26-2008, 12:03 AM

403Gemini
03-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Yes. Yes you DO actually. I think the kia looks LOADS better than BOTH those econobox beaters.

I was just about to say that.... Kia did what honda and mistu couldnt capture...

thats sad... i think I just questioned my faith in the world...

analbumcover
03-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I think the tail looks more like the Lexus IS250/350 more than it does the Evo

treg50
03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403
am i the only one who thinks it looks sorta like the next evolution of the RSX/Integra...?
A new RSX and/or a new Intergra? Link?

Originally posted by 01RedDX
Because, that's like saying a newer Lexus is nicer/better than an older Mercedes, one predates the other so how is that a fair comparison?
The Kia Sorrento was kinda nice when it looked like an M-Class.

ZorroAMG
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Because, that's like saying a newer Lexus is nicer/better than an older Mercedes, one predates the other so how is that a fair comparison?

No, it's not like saying that at all. Lexus copies mercedes and their cars STILL miss the mark, despite having all the time to make it better. LS still looks like a taiwanese W140, nevermind the W220 or the W221...Kia made a BETTER looking car than both the lancer and the civic.

01RedDX
03-26-2008, 01:02 PM

treg50
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
No, it's not like saying that at all. Lexus copies mercedes and their cars STILL miss the mark, despite having all the time to make it better. LS still looks like a taiwanese W140, nevermind the W220 or the W221...Kia made a BETTER looking car than both the lancer and the civic.
MB copied Subaru when it churned out the new GLK (a.k.a Subaru Forrester) recently. I guess all major manufacturers do it.

Lexus hits the mark in terms of reliability, MB still misses that mark. What's sad is that MB has been around much longer than Lexus, MB is such an ancient luxury name, wtf have they been working on this whole time? In Lexus' relative short life span it's arguably on par with MB or better depending on how much value you give to build quality or how much you give to brandname illusion.

01RedDX
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM

bituerbo
03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Either the chick driving it is a midget with a puny head, or that's a biiig bitch of a car. They should line it up with the civic to compare dimensions.

yamaha_rider777
03-26-2008, 03:36 PM
looks better than the civic, it should its the CONCEPT car. lots of money into it to make it flashy stylish and have lots of power. if it makes it to prodution, it will have lost a lot of the little syling points that make this car special. just like most not all concepts. Yes it is a KIA and they are not the best in the reliability department but they will get better in the future. this car will most likly not make it to the production lines but it shows some effort on KIAs part to get better. overall i give it a D+ for originality, a C+ for effort and an A- for getting out of thier comfort zone and attempting a sport compact.

ZorroAMG
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM

MB copied Subaru when it churned out the new GLK (a.k.a Subaru Forrester) recently. I guess all major manufacturers do it.

Lexus hits the mark in terms of reliability, MB still misses that mark. What's sad is that MB has been around much longer than Lexus, MB is such an ancient luxury name, wtf have they been working on this whole time? In Lexus' relative short life span it's arguably on par with MB or better depending on how much value you give to build quality or how much you give to brandname illusion.

OMG. Seriously? You still think Lexus/toyota is that much better than the new MB's? That gap has shrunk immensely. Oh and if you are goint to compare the forrester with the GLK, you may as well compare it to Ron Jeremy...they look nothing alike.

There is going to be A price when it comes to being the innovators and leaders in design. Leave that to the Germans and Italians and let the chinese and japanese copy and improve on it and sell it for less...it's how it always was...unless you are talking sony robots or some shit.

Just like the Lewis Vitton and Proda bags you bought for your girlfriend might last as long for less money than the real thing...doesn't make it cool though...

Oh and 01RedDX, everyone knows those reliability indexes hold as much credibility as Bush...stop using them as ammo and actually own either vehicle in question, THEN make your own assumptions.

ANYWAY, back on topic...the japanese owners here are just pissed because Kia is actually a stylish car...

Palmiros
03-26-2008, 05:01 PM
That looks like the Civic SI, Lexus IS 250, G37, and Acura TSX>

drewb
03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
If Kia really wanted to sell these they would make them rwd or awd. fwd is a joke, I wish more car manufactures would realize that when they make "sporty" cars.

403Gemini
03-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by drewb
If Kia really wanted to sell these they would make them rwd or awd. fwd is a joke, I wish more car manufactures would realize that when they make "sporty" cars.

Most people ACTUALLY believe that FWD is better in the winter than RWD... and to the masses, it generally is. But me personally, id much prefer oversteer than understeer, and if you're a good enough driver and a car with traction control w/ winter tires, RWD is cake to drive. It's just a sad fact that FWD has such a common place in North America

dino_martini
03-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Lexus hits the mark in terms of reliability, MB still misses that mark.

I know this is a thread supposed to be about the Kia. But I would say most of Mercedes quality problems started after the merge with Chrysler. So you can blame America for crappy Mercedes products. The quality is coming back I guess. They just finished gettinag away from Chrysler so you have to wait and see what the cars are going to be like.

blownz
03-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Really scarey what Hyndai/Kia are coming out with in the near future. It will get worse once the Chinese catch up a bit more. Wouldn't it be nice to have lots of cheap/slave labor at your disposal. :D

Antonito
03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by blownz
Really scarey what Hyndai/Kia are coming out with in the near future. It will get worse once the Chinese catch up a bit more. Wouldn't it be nice to have lots of cheap/slave labor at your disposal. :D

I can't wait to hear Honda et al bitching about a company coming in and undercutting with cheaper labour :rofl:

A790
03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Most people ACTUALLY believe that FWD is better in the winter than RWD... and to the masses, it generally is. But me personally, id much prefer oversteer than understeer, and if you're a good enough driver and a car with traction control w/ winter tires, RWD is cake to drive. It's just a sad fact that FWD has such a common place in North America
Don't forget that the whole reason car makers started making FWD cars is because it's lighter and beneficial for fuel economy reasons.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just pointing out that the main reason why you see so many FWD econobox's and sport compacts is because it's cheaper to make and gas up.

01RedDX
03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

blownz
03-27-2008, 04:18 PM

Why should any major manufacturers worry about a disposable car market? Everyone agrees that while some Chinese clones look good from a distance, the minute you get inside things start falling apart. This is the the primary reason for why Chinese auto manufacturers are not exporting cars in any significant numbers. They simply cannot achieve the same quality standards that western consumers are accustomed to.

That is why I said "catch up a bit more" because they have a ways to go. But no one would have thought 10 years ago (even 5) that Hyndai or Kia would be coming out with the cars they have now and with the quality they have now (I know they are still behind quality wise but the gap is definitely getting smaller).

I'm just saying with that cheap labour they can make some big profits and eventually catch up in the quality thing. It is just more bad news mainly for the US economy as the domestic manufacturers are such a big part of it. And it will end up hurting Japan too. That is why I say it is scary.

Hakkola
03-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Exactly my point, Lexus has improved on every area that MB missed.

But luckily this isn't a reliability debate, since Kia won't hold up against Honda or even Mitsubishi for that matter. And yes, MB is at the bottom of every reliability index at the moment.

When was the last time you looked at one of those charts? IMO, they're bullshit, but the last one I saw MB made a huge move up in the reliabilty index. It was the last model ML and E Class that destroyed MB rankings, the new cars are much better.

That said, those problems don't mention what went wrong. Besides, people bring in cars like Mercedes for little rattles, when they don't for gm, or honda etc. That said, Lexus has done a real good job making a quality car.

Do you have any current indexes you can link me to? Because the last one I saw MB was in the middle, no the bottom.

01RedDX
03-27-2008, 09:44 PM

treg50
03-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Personally, I thought Kia was doing pretty well. I was glad to see a new automaker having success for itself and I didn't mind their cars too much. I think they have several decent models that look good and offer something fresh/new:
Sorento
Spectra5
Rondo
Magentis
Sportage

Even if the Kia Koup performs well, which definitely isn't certain it looks like what amounts to a street-vendor namebrand knock-off. It may look like a Civic, but I don't it will perform as good as a Civic. I think it's a shame they did this, given the cars they've been making so far.

403Gemini
03-28-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by A790

Don't forget that the whole reason car makers started making FWD cars is because it's lighter and beneficial for fuel economy reasons.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just pointing out that the main reason why you see so many FWD econobox's and sport compacts is because it's cheaper to make and gas up.

I thought it was, but i wasn't 100% sure so I didn't want to spew bullshit if i was wrong ;)

Kavy
04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda fan boys make me laugh. Now days nothing is original, toyota decided to copy honda an mazda for years (80's) and now currently they are taking styling trends from Toyota, its a vicious circle.

Bottom line its a kia, build quality and R&D will be less, no matter how sexy it looks it will still not be at the same level as Honda, toyota etc.

Good on them for making great moves for the future however, remember when everyone used to say NEVER BUY A HYUNDIA and now they have a few cars that make the guy buy lists instead of all bottom feader's.

n1zm0
04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
can you imagine if these went into production and some guy has the guts to modify one extensively, this car coming up behind you and in your rear view you see a KIA symbol in the grill, passes you and you pull over and have a cry, just got beat by a KOREAN 'sports car'.

i hope the koreans come out and challenge the japanese even more (or maybe the japanese could care less) at building new things uncommon to their current road of manufacturing, like that Hyundai V8.. cmon Honda, get with it and build an IS-F or even better up the ante and build a V8-T(T)!

kvanderlaag
04-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Holy fuck it's funny to watch all the stupid brand-fanboys decry this thing because it's a Kia and omg they ripped off mai kaaaaar! And then all these people running off on some stupid tangent about who makes better cars, Toyota or Mercedes... Jesus.

It's a car. Why don't we wait until we see the production model, and furthermore, what it DRIVES like? Isn't that why we're all here? Because we like cars that look nice, feel nice, and most importantly DRIVE nice? I'm pretty sure that's sort of the defining factor here.

290hp is a significant figure. Even moreso when you realize that it's in a Kia, who try to make up for a lack of reputation with excellent service and warranty, and also carry an impressively low price tag, historically. It is undeniable that Kia and Hyundai and other Korean brands have made significant progress in terms of build quality and reliability lately, so it'd be really nice if you fuckers who keep whining "Oh it's a Kia it must be shit" would stop talking on my internet, please.

We are not yet in a position to judge this car's ability as, you know, a CAR, until we've seen it do its thing. So, if you want to sit around and piss and moan about how it's a Honda/Mitsubishi ripoff, that's cool -- but don't you figure you could be doing more productive things with your time than shit-talking on the internet?

Destinova403
06-30-2008, 11:02 PM
it will apparently be produced in 2009

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/30/kia-coupe-headed-to-production-mid-2009-replacing-spectra/

mark4091
06-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Well I guess they had time to work on the engine, because they sure as hell didn't design the car.

Kamen
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
CF pattern on the rims? Nice.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Solid amount of power, good looks, huge warranty, sounds like a good combination to me. The Korean manufacturers have been tearing it up lately, they're just overcoming the same stigmas that the Japanese carmakers had to overcome in the early days.

CK4500
07-01-2008, 09:04 PM

Agreed!

Kia was better than Hyundai. And for all you nay sayers, back in 1990, my NEW 1990 Ford Festiva was was designed by Mazda (sold as a Mazda "121" in Japan) and BUILT by KIA! That thing didn't deserve that blue oval. It was awesome!

Kia FTW!

Destinova403
07-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by CK4500

Agreed!

Kia was better than Hyundai. And for all you nay sayers, back in 1990, my NEW 1990 Ford Festiva was was designed by Mazda (sold as a Mazda "121" in Japan) and BUILT by KIA! That thing didn't deserve that blue oval. It was awesome!

Kia FTW!

you know that Kia is owned and built by Hyundai right?

403Gemini
07-02-2008, 12:29 AM

you know that Kia is owned and built by Hyundai right?

Isn't Hyundai more or less like Kia's "upper level" branding?

Like Honda and Acura? (or am i totally incorrect on that one)

Destinova403
07-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Isn't Hyundai more or less like Kia's "upper level" branding?

Like Honda and Acura? (or am i totally incorrect on that one)

you are completely right... ish. hyundai owns kia and kia is the lower-end brand.

Hyundai is trying to move way up market (note genesis) in order to not compete with itself as it is.

403Gemini
07-02-2008, 11:08 AM

you are completely right... ish. hyundai owns kia and kia is the lower-end brand.

Hyundai is trying to move way up market (note genesis) in order to not compete with itself as it is.

Good for them really, the Genesis is a gorgeous car.

Mitsu3000gt
07-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Too bad it's FWD. Good to see their on the right track though, I like a lot of the new Kia/Hyundai stuff, but their still suffering from their bad reputation from a long time ago.

TaiChino
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Looks like an 08 civic with a touch of the prior gen civic to me. I'm Korean myself and would never trust a Korean made POS. JMO, but I'll put them in the same class as US domestics. Jap or German FTW. Well, Italian but thats a whole other class altogether.

Originally posted by Kamen
I don't like how theres a KIA badging in the middle of the rear seats. Looks so plasticy....plus it's a KIA.

At the same time, all ripoffs aside, it looks alright, kinda like the newish Saturn Sky, but then you remember, oh ya, it's a Saturn. They do succeed in making you forget that for about half a second.

TaiChino
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
With 290hp FWD, what kind of torque steer could you expect? My buddy says it's bad in his TL type-s.

RATM
07-02-2008, 04:00 PM
wtz0rz

Destinova403
07-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TaiChino
I'm Korean myself and would never trust a Korean made POS. JMO, but I'll put them in the same class as US domestics. Jap or German FTW. Well, Italian but thats a whole other class altogether.

i pity you for your ignorance.

read consumer reports and watch the quality surveys... the Korean brands are moving up very quickly, as are the domestics... MB was very close to the bottom last year (have since moved up the rankings) and Toyota is having models removed from the recomended lists due to bad reliability on some of their newer cars/trucks.

EX:

Consumer Reports gave the CTS top honors in the upscale sports sedan segment, beating out the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class.

2008 Mid-Sized cars quality survey: (J.D. Power & Associates)

1: Chevrolet Malibu
2: Mitsubishi Galant
3: Ford Fusion

Wheres the Camry or Accord?

2008 SubCompact Quality Survey: (J.D. Power & Associates)

1: Honda fit
2: Kia Rio
3: Hyundai Accent

Wheres the Yaris?

EDIT: here you go

Problems per 100 Cars
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/06/000_08jdpoweriqs_opt.jpg

TaiChino
07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Ok stat man, I was posting an opinion. I pity you for your reading skills.

JMO, but I'll put them in the same class as US domestics.

JMO = just my opinion.
NOT I'm gonna research statistics.

I have, in my life experience always owned a japanese brand car and had little to no problems as compared to my parents for example who have owned a hyundai, my friend who owns a Kia and others who have owned countless US domestics. JMO.

Destinova403
07-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Ok stat man, I was posting an opinion. I pity you for your reading skills.

JMO = just my opinion.
NOT I'm gonna research statistics.

I have, in my life experience always owned a japanese brand car and had little to no problems as compared to my parents for example who have owned a hyundai, my friend who owns a Kia and others who have owned countless US domestics. JMO.

i understand and nothing personal... and i have friends who have had massive problems with korean or domestic cars in the past too... but reading back through this thread and the Genesis thread its sad to see so many people denying a good car "too bad its a hyundai/kia" because of the badge it wears.

its very hard to deny the numbers.

TaiChino
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
You make a solid arguement, it was just the 'pity' comment that got me. It's all good,

'lets hug it out bitch!'
-Ari Gold

Ldeibert
07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
A way better interior?? The doors are a carbon copy of the new civic, and the dash looks fairly similar as well... Not to mention this is a concept car so it will not look like it does in the pictures.

I also bet it will end up being really slow for 290 bhp, due to the auto trans.

dragonone
07-03-2008, 02:24 PM
funny how honda still sells so well despite these dumbass comments about how the civic's boring, uninspired etc.

i don't like the lines of the civic myself, but apparently it has lots of things going for it

everytime there's a honda or related thread, you hear "honda's are slow, that's a stupid purchase, they're so boring". there's no way i'd consider a domestic or korean motor, and i can't afford a european car. i think that covers lots of customer base, which is why i think this new kia's gonna fail.