PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine Supper Club - Not good

redbeast
03-23-2008, 02:22 AM
So after hearing all the hype at Tangerine Supper Club we decided to try it. For those who don't know about where it is - Its the old Elephant and Castle pub in Eaton Centre. 4th and 8th ave SW. Big orange sign up front.

There were about 8 of us on a weekend. It looked very sophisticated with a nice decor. For those of you who haven't seen what it looked like before it was a real treat.

We got seated down and there were drink menus on the table already. Our waiter came within 10-15 minutes to ask what we wanted. It then took another 10 minutes for our drinks to arrive (beer, water and juice). We were startled to not see any menus on the table. The restaurant had about 3 other tables so it was by no means busy. After we received our drinks we waited 30 minutes before we received our menus. The menu had your usual salads, seafood and meat dishes. Just a one page menu, very limited. After another 30 minutes and our waiter walking around looking busy with his 3 other tables I called him over saying that we are ready to order. We ordered our food and also asked him if we could have some bread to start with. Only after 20 minutes we received our bread and butter. Another 45 minutes we FINALLY received our main courses. Between that 30 minutes he kept coming up to us asking if we wanted more drinks. No not really I want my freaken food!!!!

Main courses ran around $15-30 and they were very small portions. For a restaurant that wants to show off their high calibre they sure did not have the service to match it. No explanation of the food once served like a normal 'high end' restaurant. Just dump the food and move on. Food was average, not too tasty at all.

Once we finished dinner the plates were removed and we must have sat there for another 45 minutes. Waiter had disappeared and was nowhere to be found. Maybe we wanted dessert???? He never offered us a dessert menu. We did see him walk up and down looking busy with the 3 tables but no sign of him otherwise. We noticed lots of staff and lots of walking around but no service. I asked for the bill and it came. Now since we had a party of 8 people the gratuity was included in the bill. For such crappy service a 20% gratuity was tacked on the $300 bill. Wow!!!! For such crappy service I didn't think the $50 tip was worth our while.

Calgary is still a conservative city and this place wants to act like some high class supper club in New York City or L.A. Give it up, if you want to act like that then show us customers the great service a real high end restaruant would in New York or L.A.

I've been to these so called 'high end' places in cities across the globe and they have the great customer service and great quality food where you don't mind forking more than 20% tip. All I can say is that I would never step into this place or tell my friends about it. funny thing is that when we left people were coming in and getting charged $15 cover charge to get in? Unreal. This place has the worst service ever. Makes Chinese restaurants look like a dream. We need Chef Ramsay for this place.

adamc
03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
there are some amazing dining experiences to be had in Calgary, tangerine is not one of them.

I kinda hate the whole supper club idea too, music is usually too loud, and so far nobody in Calgary has been able to get the food or service right.

Read the western canada board on chowhound.com for reviews of the better places (divino, brava, capo, il sogno, etc etc)

DonnieM
03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
I agree completely, I ate out at Tangerine a few weeks ago....terrible is putting it nicely. In my opinion the best restaurants to be had are River Cafe, Rouge and DeVino's! All great!

My wife and I went out to Brava Bistro a few nights ago and the appetizers were great but the main(Tenderloin with truffled mashed potatoes and sauteed spinach) was so bad!! Overcooked, hardly anything on the plate, it was a big let down.

Schwa
03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Were you really paying that much though? $300/8 = $37.50 per person.

If you enjoy one beer, an appetizer and a meal at Joey Tomato's it's somewhat similar.

Maybe that's why I will stick to Joey's!

rm777
04-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I went to Tangerine last night. The food was ok. I did find the prices reasonable though. The service was probably some of the worst I have ever had. I haven't tipped less than 30% in a long time, but last night I convinced everyone at the table to leave a 10% tip. I will never go back again. I am definitely going to call the General Manager on Monday.

redbeast
04-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow so its not just me being picky and complaining, it is really true that the service plain sucks.

I'm always open to new places to eat and I gave them a try and I will never go back again. Funny how a place like this has so many staff and when its not busy the service sucks. Imagine a full house how the service will be? Any ideas who owns this place?

badatusrnames
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Found this thread:

http://www.chowhound.com/topics/467348

icecreamvan
04-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I waited 40 mins for a simple lunch dish when there were 2 other tables in the restaurant. :banghead: