PDA

View Full Version : calamari appetitzer sux at moxies

aragingbull
03-23-2008, 03:23 PM
we were at chinook centre and decided to grab a bite at moxies.

decided to order a few appetizers first. the portions were extremely small especially the calamari. i don't think there were more than 20 pieces. it was very chewy and somewhat undercooked.

haven't found a place in cowtown that serves good calarmai appetizers..., but we are definately crossing moxie off the list.

to top it off, the waitress was out to lunch. she had no idea what else we ordered. we just said charge us for the apps and we left.

just my review in case anyone decides to head over to moxies.

rmk
03-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Devastating.

dj_rice
03-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Theres no way it can be very chewy and somewhat undercooked...are u stupid?

Once squid is overcooked, it becomes chewy....:rofl:

aragingbull
03-23-2008, 03:48 PM
if it's tender, it's cooked right..., just like salt and pepper squid :drool: we thought it was undercooked....,

bottom line, moxies suck in general.

Daan
03-23-2008, 03:50 PM
try Parthenon on Heritage drive

Greek restaurant. talk to the owner (DINA) and ask her specifically how you want it. Delicious food and nice atmosphere, plus Dina is amazing

SNAATCH
03-23-2008, 03:50 PM
what is this world coming to:drama:

Mixalot27
03-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Believe it or not, the Black Swann near Anderson C-Train station makes a pretty kick ass Calamari. Try it out sometime.

arian_ma
03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
You should have proceeded to uppercut the waiter as a reaction to the shitty calamari.

Daan
03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
hahaha

ovaries punch

Proboscis
03-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Imagine a can of shrimp that fell off the Lazy Suzanne back in 1968, only to be opened in 2005.

dannie
03-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Ouzo on 4th had decent Calamari last time we were there... That was a few months ago though.

But I agree on the Moxies thing. The staff at the one at Chinook are the not quite all there and the food always comes out cold. We gave up going there a long time ago. We stop at Joeys now for snacks

ekguy
03-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I second Dannie's opinion. Ouzo has amazing calamari

STi403
03-23-2008, 04:22 PM
For Me Id Say The Keg Has The Best Calamari.

88CRX
03-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Opa calamari > Red Lobster/Moxies/Limmerick/etc etc

Isaiah
03-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Opa calamari > Red Lobster/Moxies/Limmerick/etc etc
...and Earls>Opa.

Now before you start hating, here's the deal: Earls uses baby calamari which is lightly dusted instead of heavily battered. There are lots of tentacles which, in my opinion, is the best part. The baby calamari I find to be more tender with a slightly sweeter taste. Just squeeze on the lemon and pow.

lexIS300
03-23-2008, 04:38 PM
i think its hit and miss at alot of places. its just the cooks dont know how to prepare it.

adidas
03-23-2008, 04:57 PM
original joes on 4th st only

i personally think they got the best. :thumbsup:

JordanAndrew
03-23-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by aragingbull
we were at chinook centre and decided to grab a bite at moxies.

decided to order a few appetizers first. the portions were extremely small especially the calamari. i don't think there were more than 20 pieces. it was very chewy and somewhat undercooked.

haven't found a place in cowtown that serves good calarmai appetizers..., but we are definately crossing moxie off the list.

to top it off, the waitress was out to lunch. she had no idea what else we ordered. we just said charge us for the apps and we left.

just my review in case anyone decides to head over to moxies.

Did you get the waitress to replace your appetizers at all? There will always be mistakes that happen in restaurants, it's just how the industry is and if you give them another shot you would have gotten what you wanted. As long as you're polite about it you'd be surprised how smooth things will go.

OPA and cactus club has some really good calamari as well. For $5 opa will get you a plate full of calamari, $10 cactus club will get you a platter full of calamari and 3 dipping sauces.

icecreamvan
03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
(Runs off to search for the grammar police at Tim Horton's)

max_boost
03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I always go to the Moxies on 17th Ave SW. While the food is decent, nothing spectacular, I really like the service. All the servers at the very least know what's going on which seems to be a lot more than you can ask for these days.

max_boost
03-23-2008, 06:24 PM
My favorite Calamari is at Joey Tomatoes. Must be that spicy side sauce they use. Portions are normal size.

Largest serving I've had was at Crush Lounge. Entire plate full. :drool:

Quadrifoglio
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Moxies Calamari is ridiculars!

three.eighteen.
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
(Runs off to search for the grammar police at Tim Horton's)

they wouldn't frequent a chain with a grammatically incorrect name (look closely next time at a timmy's...no apostrophe)

dino_martini
03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
You should have proceeded to uppercut the waiter as a reaction to the shitty calamari.

:rofl:

icecreamvan
03-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

they wouldn't frequent a chain with a grammatically incorrect name (look closely next time at a timmy's...no apostrophe)

Apparently Tim isn't even his birth name. :bullshit:

sdiep
04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't mind the calamari at East Side Mario's.

OPA isn't that bad either.

Karim316
04-03-2008, 10:53 PM
My favorite Calamari is from FIORE on 17th ave. Big meaty pieces and not stingy on the portions

thinmyster
04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
worst calamari Ive ever had was at moxie's Macleod. smallest portions too

LadyLuck
04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Best Calamari ive ever had was at the Cactus Club on Barlow....
and the dipping sauce is to die for :drool:

Bimmer88
04-03-2008, 11:32 PM
I must say...

I WILL NEVER DINE AT A MOXIES EVER AGAIN!

Worst service, and worst food ever! I should have complained to the BBB and Moxies HQ.

We got seated quickly, and our orders took over 30 min at 8 PM. PLUS no utensils, so all four of us had to wait like 10 min... before I got up, and stormed to the back of the kitchen and grabbed my own utensils. I was so furious one of the servers decided to run away from me.

Anyways besides that fact... food is horrible there and Service is worst!

And at the end of the night we managed to get a 10% discount on a $80 bill with two steaks. Our glasses were foggy with white crusty shit all over the cups... and the utensils I grabbed were dirty... like wtf?

And my steak I ordered it Med-Rare came out... well DONE Err....

Opa Calamari or Broken Plate is sooo much better! and plus food there is awesome. I gotta love the Greeks.

Amysicle
04-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
I must say...

I WILL NEVER DINE AT A MOXIES EVER AGAIN!

Worst service, and worst food ever! I should have complained to the BBB and Moxies HQ.

We got seated quickly, and our orders took over 30 min at 8 PM. PLUS no utensils, so all four of us had to wait like 10 min... before I got up, and stormed to the back of the kitchen and grabbed my own utensils. I was so furious one of the servers decided to run away from me.

Anyways besides that fact... food is horrible there and Service is worst!

And at the end of the night we managed to get a 10% discount on a $80 bill with two steaks. Our glasses were foggy with white crusty shit all over the cups... and the utensils I grabbed were dirty... like wtf?

And my steak I ordered it Med-Rare came out... well DONE Err....

Opa Calamari or Broken Plate is sooo much better! and plus food there is awesome. I gotta love the Greeks.

My last experience at Moxie's was almost exactly the same. Seated quickly, took over 30 minutes to take a drink order and ordered food at the same time. Food took another 30 minutes to get to our table, but waitress forgets the cutlery and doesn't come back for 10 minutes when we decide we're not going to eat the cold and burnt food, nevermind paying for it. She didn't even bother to come by during the entire time to ask us if we'd like some more drinks (finished our beers/cocktails within 10 minutes of getting it).

Management ended up waiving the tab (and how could he really force us to pay for "food" that isn't edible and wasn't touched?) but still pretty pissed off about the experience.

icecreamvan
04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
I must say...

Bimmer88,

I highly recommend that you get the extended warranty next time.

403Gemini
04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow another vent about the service industry

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/214085/my-turn-to-vent/

Theres mine

I have to say, Moxie's service is certainly circling the drain. It used to be a half decent place to go for lunch, but now its the same issues. Dirty glasses, NO utensils (this seems to be popular) and when you DO get some (usually walking over to an empty table yourself and getting some) its dirty too!

Food is mediocre AT BEST and they removed a bunch of good things off their menu.

analbumcover
04-04-2008, 03:23 PM
dude sounds like you need a home cooked meal, you wanna come over? ha ha :poosie:

403Gemini
04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
dude sounds like you need a home cooked meal, you wanna come over? ha ha :poosie:

Haha I should make my own food more often, I think I eat out too much.