PDA

View Full Version : Slower traffic keep right

QuasarCav
03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
I saw the signs back up on the Deerfoot after the Peigan offramp.

I wonder why?

ChargedLextasy
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I hate these signs cause it makes everyone think the left lane is for speeding.

The far right lanes are for people doing under the limit and the left lanes are for people doing the limit. Just cause your in the left lane doesnt mean u can speed... Trust me you will still get a ticket for it.

I can't even count how many times im doing 115 on deerfoot in the left lanes and people get right on my ass and flash me and pass me while fingering me.

It's always great when that happens and then 1km up they are pulled over lol.

stvtec
03-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Because thats the law and how you are supposed to drive :nut:

Edit, there are also signs that say no slow moving traffic, which means do the damn speed limit, if you must go faster use the left lane at your discretion and empty your wallet if you get a speeding ticket.

89s1
03-23-2008, 06:27 PM
because it is the #2 highway, and most all highways have that sign posted. :banghead:

what I wonder is why idiots still go 90 in the fast lane....

89s1
03-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by ChargedLextasy

The far right lanes are for people doing under the limit and the left lanes are for people doing the limit. Just cause your in the left lane doesnt mean u can speed... Trust me you will still get a ticket for it.

I can't even count how many times im doing 115 on deerfoot in the left lanes and people get right on my ass and flash me and pass me while fingering me.

the sign says slower traffic... in that case you were slower... you should move over and let them pass.

id have given you the finger too :D

QuasarCav
03-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
because it is the #2 highway, and most all highways have that sign posted. :banghead:

They removed them from Deerfoot earlier and now they are back.

TegLover
03-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Yeah people are such douchebags, i love those redneck trucks that do that, then i just cut them back off and slow down to piss them off. :guns:

Umm this is a highways that goes through the City of Calgary, therefore it is not the same as highways like the trans Canada highway (when outside of city limits).

89s1
03-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by TegLover

Umm this is a highways that goes through the City of Calgary, therefore it is not the same as highways like the trans Canada highway (when outside of city limits).

whats different about it? Would you be so kind as to enlighten me?

stvtec
03-23-2008, 06:53 PM

Yeah people are such douchebags, i love those redneck trucks that do that, then i just cut them back off and slow down to piss them off. :guns:

The same rules apply, talk to a Cop, my Cousin is one.

modded46
03-23-2008, 06:56 PM

the sign says slower traffic... in that case you were slower... you should move over and let them pass.

id have given you the finger too :D

THAT is the whole point.. If the left lane was for people doing the speed limit it would say left lane for speed limit and right lane for all others.. NO it's left lane for those going faster than the rest of the traffic.. unless you're PASSING someone, you shouldn't be in the left lane.. PERIOD.. Learn how to fucking drive.

modded46
03-23-2008, 06:58 PM

that is completely 100% false.. City of Calgary can't make different rules on a provincial highway just because it's going through the city.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2008, 07:25 PM
The far left lane is for PASSING only. Therefore, no matter what speed you are driving, you should only be in the far left lane if you are overtaking a slower vehicle.
Those of you who think it's your right to sit in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit are at least as dangerous as the people who are trying to speed around you.

googe
03-23-2008, 07:34 PM

the left lane is for speeding. if you want to drive like a grandpa, get out of the damn way. yeah, they know they are over the limit and will get a ticket if caught. if you are going slower than the guy behind you, then keep right (gtfo of the way)

i hate people that cant figure this out and wont move. :)

Sky
03-23-2008, 07:45 PM
they should have that sign all over the place. No one owns the road. I don't care if you are doing 150km on the left lane. If I need to pass you doing 200km, just let me pass you and the only lane safe to do that is the passing lane(left lane). Certain states ticket people for being on the left lane if they are not passing. I'm not sure if cops here would do that. I hope they do.

Think about it. If one day you needed to get some where quick(could be an emergency) and time is of the essence. you would be fucking pissed if all lanes are occupied and that those people are just cruising at 110km/h.

If I get caught speeding, thats my problem. Be courteous and move away so I can pass you. People just need to check their rear view mirror more often. They teach you to check every 12sec or something. I've done 120-130km/h left lane and I still check to see if anyone is coming up fast from behind. I move over and just let them be on their business.

modded46
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Good to see some of you actually know how to drive.. :D I'm impressed!! But more real drivers are needed cause there aren't enough of us out there!!

lianli
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
I hope to god this does not mean more people will merge onto deerfoot going 60 :thumbsdow

djayz
03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
You guys think deerfoot is bad for this with 3 lanes! 16th ave is horrible no body seems to want to move out of the left lane and everyone going in the right lane slows down to 70 before taking an offramp :thumbsdow

Supa Dexta
03-23-2008, 08:35 PM

I HATE YOU...

Alberta is the worst province in canada for abusing that rule.

89s1
03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Sky
FUCKING GOSPEL

your post was too big to quote, but im with you 100%

regardless of my speed, I glance @ my rearview every 3-5 seconds and if needed I gtfo of the way.

lianli
03-23-2008, 09:02 PM

I glance @ my rearview every 3-5 seconds and if needed I gtfo of the way.

yah when I read the 12 seconds I was like whaaaat? I glance at my rear view for every 4 - 5 seconds of driving too. I like to know verything that's happening around me when I'm driving.

JoniBoy
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM

I can't even count how many times im doing 115 on deerfoot in the left lanes and people get right on my ass and flash me

If it was up to me, people like you would get their licenses taken away :guns:

tlapec
03-23-2008, 09:33 PM
They should have this sign on crowchild Tr. Everyday i see three vehicles travelling side by side going the same speed:banghead:

ricefarmer
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Sky
they should have that sign all over the place. No one owns the road. I don't care if you are doing 150km on the left lane. If I need to pass you doing 200km, just let me pass you and the only lane safe to do that is the passing lane(left lane). Certain states ticket people for being on the left lane if they are not passing. I'm not sure if cops here would do that. I hope they do.

Think about it. If one day you needed to get some where quick(could be an emergency) and time is of the essence. you would be fucking pissed if all lanes are occupied and that those people are just cruising at 110km/h.

If I get caught speeding, thats my problem. Be courteous and move away so I can pass you. People just need to check their rear view mirror more often. They teach you to check every 12sec or something. I've done 120-130km/h left lane and I still check to see if anyone is coming up fast from behind. I move over and just let them be on their business.

your post was too big to quote, but im with you 100%

regardless of my speed, I glance @ my rearview every 3-5 seconds and if needed I gtfo of the way.

not too big for me to quote. if it's an emergency then call the appropriate emergency respondants, if it's not that urgent and you need to pass someone doing 200 then he needs his license taken away

adam c
03-23-2008, 09:54 PM

someone doing under the limit on deerfoot is far more dangerous then someone speeding.. for the simple fact most people speed on deerfoot, coming up on someone doing under the limit is a dangerous situation.
i still remember my driving instructor back in high school telling me no matter what, never go under 100 on deerfoot

r3cc0s
03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by adam c

someone doing under the limit on deerfoot is far more dangerous then someone speeding.. for the simple fact most people speed on deerfoot, coming up on someone doing under the limit is a dangerous situation.
i still remember my driving instructor back in high school telling me no matter what, never go under 100 on deerfoot

though absolutely true, especially since Calgary has adopted thousands migrants of ontarians who have a tendancy to tail gate like the deerfoot is the 401

I'd honestly say, anyone who routinely drives less than 95k on the deerfoot is more of a safety concern than lets say in the vice versa going 115k on the left lanes

However, our highway & traffic act says otherwise :P always has and always will

it's just a matter of driving with the speed of traffic
In fact, most of my deerfoot driving never reaches the speed limit, as it's generally gridlocked during the rush hours I go to work daily
god damned Southland/Anderson and Glennmore areas

hampstor
03-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Unlike most people drive, I know the way the roads work, left lane is the 'passing lane' and I have no problems moving out of the way if i'm in the passing lane and someone if coming up on my ass.

I am not a redneck - in fact the furthest thing from one. I have owned my fair share of compact cars and after owning a truck, I have discovered a few things that I will share with you about driving a truck:

1) Understanding that you do not pull infront of a 6500+ lbs truck going 110kph and slam on your brakes in your civic/cavalier/Impreza/accord/camry and expect me to stop as well as you can. My brakes my be good for stopping at a red light, not saving your life when you think you are trying to 'teach me a lesson'.
2) When you tailgate a truck, THEY CAN'T SEE YOU. You are so damn close flashing your high beams is useless because you are high beaming my tailgate.
3) Assuming people who drive trucks don't shoulder check because they are lazy. Hello, have you tried to shoulder check in a truck? You could be in my blind spot, I can check my mirrors, shoulder check and still NOT see you because your car is LOWER then my box. Convex mirrors have probably saved your life more times then you realize, and not all trucks come equiped with them from the factory. Don't constantly drive in my blindspot expecting that I know you are there - pass me or slow down so I can see you.

I drive a Nissan Titan, so not the biggest truck on the road. There are a lot of people that drive bigger trucks (1 ton trucks with a long box / 5 ton trucks / semi trucks etc) that get it a lot worse then me.

Next time you see a truck on the road - remember that you need to be proactive about how YOU drive as well to ensure that other people are fully aware of where you are and your intentions on the road.

Supa Dexta
03-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Anyone else drive a big vehicle and sometimes wish, just wish you could plow into someone, or push them out of the way.. I drive a big f250 and often dream about doing that, and wonder what exactly would happen if I did, parked and just walked off, leaving everything behind.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

rmk
03-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Leftlane losers. :banghead:

Sky
03-23-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ricefarmer

not too big for me to quote. if it's an emergency then call the appropriate emergency respondants, if it's not that urgent and you need to pass someone doing 200 then he needs his license taken away

I agree with you 100%, doing 200km/h is crazy. I have never blown by someone doing 200 and would never agree to anyone doing that speed, its wrekless. Speeding is speeding and its not our job to determine what people deserve. Hell, there are people that would never drive 10km/h over the limit. Point is we are all human, you never know when you want to pass someone who is doing 120km/h and they won't let you by with their "I'm already doing 20km/h over the limit so fu*k off" mentality. Who knows what kind of situation or circumstances you're in. I'm sure you will be very pleased that someone is trying to save you a ticket.

If you are all by yourself on deerfoot, staying on the left lane doing 80km/h, lane changing without signaling, driving without lights on or whatever the hell you want to do. I don't care. But when there are others around, please let people pass you, signal to let them know you're changing lanes, turn on those lights when visibility is low so....etc. I guess common sense aren't always common. Just share the road and be smart.

canuckcarguy
03-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

Unlike most people drive, I know the way the roads work, left lane is the 'passing lane' and I have no problems moving out of the way if i'm in the passing lane and someone if coming up on my ass.

I am not a redneck - in fact the furthest thing from one. I have owned my fair share of compact cars and after owning a truck, I have discovered a few things that I will share with you about driving a truck:

1) Understanding that you do not pull infront of a 6500+ lbs truck going 110kph and slam on your brakes in your civic/cavalier/Impreza/accord/camry and expect me to stop as well as you can. My brakes my be good for stopping at a red light, not saving your life when you think you are trying to 'teach me a lesson'.
2) When you tailgate a truck, THEY CAN'T SEE YOU. You are so damn close flashing your high beams is useless because you are high beaming my tailgate.
3) Assuming people who drive trucks don't shoulder check because they are lazy. Hello, have you tried to shoulder check in a truck? You could be in my blind spot, I can check my mirrors, shoulder check and still NOT see you because your car is LOWER then my box. Convex mirrors have probably saved your life more times then you realize, and not all trucks come equiped with them from the factory. Don't constantly drive in my blindspot expecting that I know you are there - pass me or slow down so I can see you.

I drive a Nissan Titan, so not the biggest truck on the road. There are a lot of people that drive bigger trucks (1 ton trucks with a long box / 5 ton trucks / semi trucks etc) that get it a lot worse then me.

Next time you see a truck on the road - remember that you need to be proactive about how YOU drive as well to ensure that other people are fully aware of where you are and your intentions on the road.

This is arguably the best post I've read on here.

I can't believe these morons trying to teach the "redneck trucks" a lesson by either tailgating them or trying to slow their progress. What kind of idiot really thinks it's his job to enforce the traffic code by intentionally blocking traffic?

When you're on the freeway or the highway, the left lane is for passing. No matter how fast you're driving, you're an ass-hat if you are in the left lane and you're not passing.

Here's what I don't get... some people are bound and determined to drive the speed limit and preach to anybody going faster... but they categorically ignore all the signs telling them to keep right except to pass. I've seen countless freeway accidents caused by 2 things... fast traffic encountering a slow driver, coupled with drivers following too close. Instant rear-end collisions.

I drive a truck for work, a car for family time, and a sports car for summer (except when the travel trailer's in tow). Whatever I'm driving, you'll find me in the middle or the right lane, unless I'm passing. It just seems so easy that way.

mucat
03-23-2008, 11:04 PM
There are all kind of reasons people driving faster. Maybe need to go to the hospital, maybe someone the driver knows is on a deathbed? Maybe ambulance would not be soon enough, all kind of reasons.

The main thing is, IT IS NOT ABOUT YOU when someone trying to pass you. Don't take it personal, don't block the car behind you, move away and let the car pass. I do this on every road (except playground and school zone), not just highway. If I can move to the right, I will move to the right. Why other people drive faster than me is their business.

I even lean to the left as much as possible on a right lane if I am stopped at a red light and someone behind me needs to turn right. If the right lane is wide enough for 2 cars, so the car behind me can go next to me on my right to turn without wait for me to go first. It is about courtesy.

kevie88
03-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Rule number one: Keep right except to pass.

If you think you have the right to be in the left lane because you are doing the speed limit you are wrong. Move over to the right and keep the fast lane clear.

If I come up on you doing 120 and pass you doing 130, you will see me move back into the middle or right lane immediately to clear the lane. This is the way it should be done.

However, if I'm doing 120kph and passing a vehicle doing 119kph, don't expect me to pin it to match your 300kph you're doing in your F950 Explodition. Back the fuck off and wait for me to clear the lane! I will.

Aleks
03-24-2008, 12:22 AM
CPS should start enforsing this like they do In Oklahoma state. They are now pulling people over for doing the speed limit in the fast lane citing safety issues with Emergency vehicles not having a clear path through the left lane and that left lane should be kept clear except to pass. (saw it on the news a few weeks ago).

DayGlow
03-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Sky
. Certain states ticket people for being on the left lane if they are not passing. I'm not sure if cops here would do that. I hope they do.

unfortunalty there is nothing really in the books that apply for this. It would be a ticket I would love to write. I can't stand people who feel they need to control the speed of others.

What people need to do is buy some of these stickers

http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/

BlkMaxima
03-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by modded46

THAT is the whole point.. If the left lane was for people doing the speed limit it would say left lane for speed limit and right lane for all others.. NO it's left lane for those going faster than the rest of the traffic.. unless you're PASSING someone, you shouldn't be in the left lane.. PERIOD.. Learn how to fucking drive.

:clap:

Couldn't have said it better!

Mr_ET
03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
This sign always makes me laugh. This is the only major city hightway where I have ever seen this on a sign.

Looks like other drivers in other major cities figured it out and don't need the sign to remind them of this...

whiskas
03-24-2008, 08:44 AM
The far right lanes are for people doing under the limit and the left lanes are for people doing the limit.

It's people like you that deserve to be put up against a wall and shot.

RotaryPower
03-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by mucat

I even lean to the left as much as possible on a right lane if I am stopped at a red light and someone behind me needs to turn right. If the right lane is wide enough for 2 cars, so the car behind me can go next to me on my right to turn without wait for me to go first. It is about courtesy.
Same here, if i can hug the left lane as close and safely as possible, I try to leave enough room for people turning behind me.:thumbsup:

yamaha_rider777
03-24-2008, 10:00 AM
this problem is not just a calgary problem. it is an alberta problem the yellow head is the same way 16 and 16A hwy 2 hwy43 and so on. this is fundamentally a thinking problem, most people drive off the hood of their vehicle not concerned about whats behind them or whats 100-500 ft in front of them. this is a dangerous practice and one that results in many accidents and even deaths that are totaly preventable. people do this not just because they are lazy and or stupid, thsy allow them selves to be be distracted by cell phones eating fixing hair getting road head what ever. NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!! pay attention to the road be curteous keep the left lane clear make room for merging vehicles and DON'T tailgate big trucks they cant see you. I am a safety manager for a trucking company and see the resuts of 1 stupid attempt to teach trucks a lesson. if you want to know what tiger woods golf balls feel like cut off a tractor trailor and you will know. common sense is dead so for all you good drivers, its up to us to drive for the next guy because he/she is to dumb to do it for them self. thats what seperates a good driver from a bad one. and doing 200km/h passing people, that is dumb you are not only puting your life at risk but every one else on the road with you. slow down your in traffic if the road is clear and you know the road have fun see what you can do but not around others you never know they might try to slow you down by cuting you off. 200km/h in to the back of a car doing 100km/h = DEATH for every one involved

heizervr6
03-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Looks like the vast majority of people on here know how to drive which is a good thing. Now how do we get the word out to all the other morons enforcing their view of the traffic laws from the left-hand lane...I really like the Oklahoma idea...they do the same thing in Germany and on top of that they fine you $500 if you pass on the right...which would work great if everyone kept out of the left lane except to pass! LOL.

rc2002
03-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by tlapec
They should have this sign on crowchild Tr. Everyday i see three vehicles travelling side by side going the same speed:banghead:

When this happens, I usually use the shoulder to pass.

Originally posted by kevie88
Rule number one: Keep right except to pass.

If you think you have the right to be in the left lane because you are doing the speed limit you are wrong. Move over to the right and keep the fast lane clear.

:werd: [/endthread]

Jay911
03-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't know what the new Traffic Safety Act's wording is, but the old Highway Traffic Act that it replaced actually had some decent wording on the whole 'keep right except to pass' rule. It stated that if anyone is going at a speed greater than you, you were required to move "as far to the right hand edge of the road as is practicable". Notice that it mentions nothing about whether they're speeding or not, or if you're righteously doing the posted speed "limit", or anything like that. It says, if someone is going faster than you, get the hell out of the way.

I hope the new Act is worded similarly..