PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Boost problem i think??

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey guys, my mr2 dosent seem to be boosting properly. It spools up for ever before you actually feel the car starting to pull. It started one night when i was driving home when one of my clamps came loose on my intercooler house which wasnt to big a deal, ive fixed that before, but now its fixed and it doesnt seem to be boosting well.. :(
Any ideas on what it could be, or where to take it to get checked out. Any input would be great.
Forgot to mention that the turbo spools up, if that helps any. It just doesnt have the power it did a week ago.

Thanks guys

Redlyne_mr2
03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
How is the car idling? Still sounds like you may have a boost leak somewhere. Did you overboost at all?

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
i went by autodream cuz They installed my intercooler, just to see if he had any idea of what it could be and we tightened a few of the other clamps but still doesnt seem right. It was idling real low, but i always noticed that. So he turned it up. when i start it, it idles at around 1500-2000, after it warms up its around 7-1000. Its always been boosting at 11psi so i dont think i over boosted.
Thanks for your input so far redlyne, i was hoping youd reply lol.

SR240SX
03-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Check your couplers for cracks or tears..Is it sputtering at all under boost?

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 01:10 PM
i tryed to look for cracks and havent seen any :(... and i havent noticed any sputter...

SR240SX
03-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Check all your vac lines aswell...do you have a boost gauge? What kind of vac reading are you getting at idle?

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 01:21 PM
yah i have a boost gauge. and at idle ive never really looked at the boost gauge. wanna come check it out for me hahah you seem to fairly knowledgeable with this turbo stuff lol.

SR240SX
03-24-2008, 01:26 PM
lol..Where are you at?

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
In the great NE part of the city Temple to be exact hahah, where are you at?

SR240SX
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm in the NW..Hidden Valley...temple is kinda far from me man haha..

Redlyne_mr2
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Turning up the idle could be covering things up. When i had my boost leaks the car would idle super super low, almost stall out. The only real way to test for boost leaks is to fab up a boost leak tester, youll need an air compressor too though since you have to shoot air through the system. If you're cool with the guys at autodream maybe see if they have a chance to check that for you. Whats the temperature like in Calgary right now? What do you mean by its not boosting right? Effects?

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by SR240SX
I'm in the NW..Hidden Valley...temple is kinda far from me man haha..

yah it is kinda far for you i guess....

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Turning up the idle could be covering things up. When i had my boost leaks the car would idle super super low, almost stall out. The only real way to test for boost leaks is to fab up a boost leak tester, youll need an air compressor too though since you have to shoot air through the system. If you're cool with the guys at autodream maybe see if they have a chance to check that for you. Whats the temperature like in Calgary right now? What do you mean by its not boosting right? Effects?

it doesnt have anything to do with the temp.
and by not boosting right i mean it spoools up for a while before actually going..

Redlyne_mr2
03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by crx/gsr

it doesnt have anything to do with the temp.
and by not boosting right i mean it spoools up for a while before actually going..
factory ecu pulls back boost when its cold out.. car wont boost as high.

crx/gsr
03-24-2008, 02:03 PM
its boosting up to usaull boost level. it used to start boosting around 2000-2500 rpm and then just pull right away and now its doesnt start pulling until around 35-40 rpm.

heavyD
03-24-2008, 02:03 PM
You need to do a leak test as well take a look at the wastegate actuator. On my 1993 talon the pin came off the actuator shaft and the wastegate would stay open causing an effect similar to what you described.

sh0ko
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
^ cna anybody tel me why im boosting too much?! >.<

mr2mike
03-24-2008, 05:52 PM
I promise you your ECU is pulling timing. This could be for many reasons but the main ones are you need:

new wires, plugs, rotor or cap
your IC fan isn't on or isn't on all the time like it should be if you've modded the car.
knock sensor installed at wrong torque (probably not your issue)
boost leak
intake leak