PDA

View Full Version : Engineering companies slow?

civic_rida
03-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I work for a local engineering company as a engineering design and drafting technologist. March has been a slow month . I spend most of my days just surfing the net. Just wondering how other people are doing these days who work in this field.

reese
03-24-2008, 01:09 PM
interesting... i always figured that this would be a busy time for consultants as constuction season is going to commence soon...

legendboy
03-24-2008, 01:11 PM
we are hvac manufacturing, very slow the last few months

i too spend my day surfing the net and spending money :banghead:

97'Scort
03-24-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm putting in minimum 10 hours overtime just to keep up with workflow. Want a job?

Nufy
03-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
I'm putting in minimum 10 hours overtime just to keep up with workflow. Want a job?

Ditto here.....

civic_rida
03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
i live in calgary not edmonton

510-Trevor
03-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I work for myself detailing steel. I've had 2 weeks in the last 6 that have been slower than I'd like. The last couple years I've found this time of year things tend to be a little slower than any other time. So if things are a little slow, and they haven't laid you off, don't worry, it'll pick back up. And when it does, look out!

Rat Fink
03-24-2008, 01:34 PM

rc2002
03-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
I work for a local engineering company as a engineering design and drafting technologist. March has been a slow month . I spend most of my days just surfing the net. Just wondering how other people are doing these days who work in this field.

To me, it seems typical for those kind of companies. When I worked there, most people didn't do much other than surf the net all day long. They'd come in late, leave early and bill overtime hours.

Doesn't help that the EPC companies are overstaffed either. Every seat they can fill is more hours that can be billed to the client which translates into more money for the company.

cet
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
The project I am on is stupid busy but overall the company is really slow. In fact I haven't seen it this slow since I started.

snowboard
03-24-2008, 03:12 PM
goddddddddddamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnimslowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

were waiting for a huge SAGD project but for real, right now, i cant even find the strength to get upand go to work cause its so boring? but they want to keep us cause its going to get busy...

Nufy
03-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
i live in calgary not edmonton

So do I.

Senseiz
03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Stelmach?

Land purchases for oil companies saw a fall this past month!

More investment into NEBC land and else where, very little Alberta activity.

Archea
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I work for a consultation firm.

Friggen retarded slow

I have been litterally Scanning Binders for the last month and a bit and that wasnt why I was hired on lol.:bullshit:

At least its a lax job right now I guess :poosie:

BlackArcher101
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Busy as hell... in fact I always am. Probably due to the fact I'm the only designer.

Super_Geo
03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
I'm paid hourly whether I'm working or not.

I anticipated the slowdown by slowing myself down. i drag my ass...usually only doing about 1-2 hours of actual concentrated work every day. The rest of the time is spent surfing the net or daytrading.

Boss hasn't noticed....and I still have my full-time hours. haha. I only have about 5 weeks left and I'm out of there anyways, but I have gotten away with this strategy for about 8 months now.

Nice, sounds like a sweet deal for the engineer who has to explain why drafting is soaking up so many hours... unless you're at one of the giant EPCMs, in which case, more power to you and keep on keepin' on!

Antonito
03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I just changed companies because it was so slow. I showed up on the project and they go "here's your area, work on this", it was done months ago by another bored designer, unless piping were to lose their minds and try some imaginary design, it's not going to change. The due date for piles? August. Steel? December. And there was literally nothing else, all the other areas were in the same position. I wouldn't mind doing nothing for 9 months and getting paid for it, but they stuck me in the only cubicle that was facing into the main hallway that everyone used, and looked directly into the project leads office. BULLSHIT. Some people might be able to blatantly do nothing, but if people are watching me, i need to at least be able to pretend that I'm doing something. So after 2 months of staring at the same 4 models/20 drawings, I called it a day and left.

Now I'm fairly busy, but a few projects got put on hold, so the promised huge amounts of overtime might not come true :(

chongkee_
03-25-2008, 08:16 PM
oh man, no wonder i haven't got a call from the engineering firms i applied at

xcelr8
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Where do you guys work?

It might differ from a small company to a large company...

Plus im looking for a job, graduating this spring from saits engineering design and drafting tech.

Rat Fink
03-25-2008, 11:24 PM