PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying my first car.

Paulk_04
03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Hello everyone.

I am planning on buying my first car this summer, but the problem is I am a complete layman when it comes to cars. Seeing as there are a lot of experts here, I was hoping some people could help me. Alrighty then, some details about my situation. I am an 18 year old male and I will have about $5000 to buy the car. My main priorities are reliability and affordibility. Also what should I look for when I actually go to buy my first used car. Any tips or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PK

Toms-SC
03-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Prepare for a cluster fuck.

Get something cheap like a fleet car (Ford Taurus)
Get something that does not take premium fuel
Get something where there are lots of parts and people know how to work on them
Get something with cheap insurance (Not a Civic)

Theres your advice

4lti7ude
03-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Get a good insurance company :thumbsup:

03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
take it for an inspection (NOT AT CANADIAN TIRE)

Paulk_04
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Can someone give me some real advice?

rc2002
03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Make sure you get the car checked out and steer clear of used car dealerships.

Try to find a low mileage, original owner car with no accidents, all original paint and complete service history. :rofl: Good luck.

A good idea is to buy from a good family friend or even family.

Paulk_04
03-24-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm buying from a family friend who owns a new and used car dealership.

Hash_man
03-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Use carproof.com for vehicle history reports. They aren't cheap, so make sure you are serious about a car before doing so. If it checks out there, then get it inspected by a reliable mechanic before buying.

Oh and the internet is your friend... when looking at cars, import or domestic used cars can have issues... search for that kind of car on google or something, find a message board for it and look at their FAQ's and such for common issues.

Paulk_04
03-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the most reliable, affordiable and fuel efficent cars are usually asian manufactored. Meaning I should be looking for Toyata, Hyundai, Honda, Mazada, and Mitsubishi. Can someone tell me what are some of the better models/years of these companies? I read that Toyota Corolla is a pretty reliable car, what are some of its drawbacks though?

Mixalot27
03-25-2008, 05:52 AM
How about an older Prelude, Golf or even Jetta. Since your 18 you might enjoy something thats a little sporty.

Kona9
03-25-2008, 07:16 AM
DO NOT buy a RHD car!! (personal opinion)

In all honesty, for a first car at $5000.00 May I suggest a Civic or any Honda? You can repair them for super cheap as you learn how to own and maintain a vehicle. If you want to do stuff to it, it won't cost you an arm or a leg as the stuff can be found cheap. Especially if you can find decent used stuff.

Same goes for if you end up smacking it up. It won't completely break the bank to repair.

Your insurance may be a bit expensive due to your age, but atleast it is an affordable car in all areas.

I have had 3 hondas in my 11 car history. NONE of them had issues that were expensive to repair. (let alone "real" issues at all)

R!zz0
03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
It's either Honda or Toyota.

A790
03-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I've owned 2 Honda's, both Civics, and both of them were bulletproof. My first Civic (a 91 SE with the D-series in it) got beaten the hell up.

I'mt alking weeks with little/no oil, only 1 oil change in the year I owned it, redlined every day, etc. etc. The only problem I had with that car is that the heater blower motor went and had to be fixed if I wanted heat.

My next Civic (I got it when I was a bit older) held up really well- it was a 99 SiR with a B16 in it. I maintained it properly, got regular oil changes, and washed it every few days cause I <3'd it. I had that car for around 6 months and put on 19,xxx KM's. Not a single problem.

Dude, get a Civic. Seriously. It will outlast you no matter HOW you treat it.

yamaha_rider777
03-25-2008, 09:53 AM
the guys are right civics are bulletproof they are cheap on maintanance reliable good on fuel and a fun first car. good resale it wont depreciate very much. toyotas are good i had a tercel 4 door for a winter car it was great. crazy good on fuel, reliable and i got it over 450xxx kms on it. it was deadly slow. i have also had 2 acura integras and they are fun dependable car thats also good on fuel parts are also readily available and very good resale. make sure you get some one who knows about cars to go with you and look over the cars your interested in. and have an inspection done by an objective third party wrench so you dont get screwed over and sold a lemon or a tired old pile. well good luck with your hunt.

get somthing fun your young!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whiskas
03-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I feel like I'm going to get mobbed by fanboys, but screw them.

Get a neon. They're cheaper than civics. Cheaper to repair, cheaper to insure, just as reliable and bang for buck they're faster. Similar gas mileage and you'll still have plenty of cash left over, plus you'll be able to get into a newer car. With $5000 you would either be able to find a 1st gen (95-99) in excellent condition or a 2nd gen (00-05) in good condition, although the 2nd gens aren't as visceral of a car but more reliable.

I drive the living fuck out of my little neon and never had any issues with it.

Zephyr
03-25-2008, 11:00 AM
The three C's. Civic, Camry, Corolla

us722
03-25-2008, 12:39 PM
my first car was 1991 accord....honestly, get an accord.....they are purely bulletproof

yamaha_rider777
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
I feel like I'm going to get mobbed by fanboys, but screw them.

Get a neon. They're cheaper than civics. Cheaper to repair, cheaper to insure, just as reliable and bang for buck they're faster. Similar gas mileage and you'll still have plenty of cash left over, plus you'll be able to get into a newer car. With $5000 you would either be able to find a 1st gen (95-99) in excellent condition or a 2nd gen (00-05) in good condition, although the 2nd gens aren't as visceral of a car but more reliable.

I drive the living fuck out of my little neon and never had any issues with it.

you make a point the neon is a good car for the money, its cheap good on fuel low cost to maintain. my wife has one she loves it, its a good little car. it all comes down to what he wants, does he want a fun car thats cheap but still looks good or an ok cheap car thats ugly. i dont mean to be insulting its just my opinion on the neon. it would be your best value by far and parts are cheaper than hondas and toyotas and more readily available. go to an auto wreaker they have lots to pick apart if you need anything. i would still take a honda product first even at a higher cost, its money well spent!!!!!!!!

ekguy
03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
civic....nough said...Mine's been through Canada twice, beat to an inch of it's life, still going strong without half the body on there hehehe.

avow
03-25-2008, 01:41 PM
my 91 honda accord just wont die :|
its actually really freaking impressive.

E46..sTyLez
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
bang for buck they're faster.

I don't know about that....maybe, but i doubt it.

Paulk_04
03-25-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
The three C's. Civic, Camry, Corolla

Thanks for the help, I will most likely get one of these three models. Cheers.

A790
03-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

I don't know about that....maybe, but i doubt it.
I raced a Neon one time in my 91 Civic and lost.

Ashers
03-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Accord... good, like a Civic, but bigger and cheaper used.
Civic... Fun, reliable, fuel efficient, high resale.
Golf / Jetta... with the 2.0 its bullet proof... the trick is finding one that doesn't have a permanently lit Check Engine Light.
Dodge Neon, honestly not a bad car. Good value for money
Ford Focus, also a good car for the money
Pretty much, any of the above are good choices.

Chevrolet Cavalier / Sunfire, I've heard good things, but personally, I'd stay away.

breeamertt smyl
03-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Seriously a good car is a 240sx man. its nissan which goes forever and if you ever want to mod it up it will be cheap and will look six and its still RWD!! my first car was a 1999 grand prix (not by choice) but i do wish i would have got one for my first car. you will learn alot driving a rear wheel drive car and you never know you might get hooked on drifting!!!

megavolt
03-31-2008, 12:11 PM
Being 18 and your first car the first thing you should do is talk to your insurance company with a few examples of what you might want to drive and get some rate quotes. A lot of 'first car' buyers are shocked to see how much insurance is going to be. Most of them AFTER they've blown their wad on their new car only to find out that they can't afford to insure it. :nut:

SlammedS10
03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I'd get a Civic or a Jetta/Golf or even a Mazda 323/Protege...definitely have it checked out by a respectable, independent mechanic. It's well worth the 60 or so bucks if you don't know your way around it too much.

here are some sites to help you out

http://www.carsurvey.org

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

good luck!

Donmega
03-31-2008, 02:17 PM
civic :thumbsup:

tlapec
03-31-2008, 11:41 PM
with gas prices these days a civic would be cheaper to fill up. I drive a 92 accord and it costs about $50/450km. a civic would probably get around 600km for $50.