PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Car Question DMV

Atombomb
08-08-2003, 11:56 PM
Hey Guys,
I have a U.S. Car, that I have registered and insured in the United States. If I was to sell it here (my residence is in the US though I'll be here for a while) reason being I can get more money for it here. Do I have to pay the taxes, or can I like say.... got to the DMV and be like... yeah this car is from quebec or something and say I lost the title and then they'll let me do whatever... how does that work, does anyone know?

sxtasy
08-09-2003, 12:32 AM
sorry buddy, dont understand your question at all.

AquamosH
08-09-2003, 12:49 AM
I'm also having some trouble understanding, but...
I don't think you can lie to the DMV about where your car is from, lol, can't they just punch in the VIN and find out?

GTS Jeff
08-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
sorry buddy, dont understand your question at all. lol then why the fuck are u replying? :thumbsdow

atombomb, u cant just say u lost the title cuz u need to prove that u actually own the car in 1 way or another

DB2
08-09-2003, 01:40 AM
you'll need to import the car first through custom (duty will depend on value of car).... you could sell it in calgary without importing it, but you're going to leave the new owner with all the problems of trying to insure it...

you'll prolly need to get a "letter of conformity" from the car manufacturer first.. this is easy to get.... this is to prove that the car conforms to canadian regulations..
also, I think you'll need a canadian address to sell it.....

Atombomb
08-09-2003, 04:46 PM
My question basically was, is there anyway of selling my US car in Canada without paying duties and taxes...
the car is in Canada right now, and I'll sell it here if I can get more money for it!

The guy down the street says he just went to register it as a canadian vehicle and said he just moved from ontario. They couldn't look it up so they said fine and game him his registration.

Do you think this will work for me?? Or do they really check your vin # good?

3G
08-09-2003, 07:12 PM
go put it in an auction..just drive it in, they will sell it "as is" "where is" and whoever buys it, they gotta deal with it

Atombomb
08-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
go put it in an auction..just drive it in, they will sell it "as is" "where is" and whoever buys it, they gotta deal with it

Thats an excellent idea!!!