PDA

View Full Version : Good Life Fitness

hoamic11
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Well with a new coed Good life fitness opening up in the SE, McKenzie town.

Does anybody have experiences with their gyms? any thing good or bad? or they basically are the same as any other gym?

thx

r3cc0s
03-25-2008, 02:46 PM
a gyms a gyms a gym
I was a member of world health, and now Good Life
clubs full of fatties or superficial people :D

Goodlife hours are not quite as good as world health (i.e. world health being 24h during week days)

however usually they have plenty of machines available

kerry
03-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by r3cc0s
a gyms a gyms a gym
I was a member of world health, and now Good Life
clubs full of fatties or superficial people :D

Goodlife hours are not quite as good as world health (i.e. world health being 24h during week days)

however usually they have plenty of machines available

Is there lots of mirror space? I need to make sure I've got the PERFECT form when doing my slow and sexy bicep curls.

Check out the new Golds if you're looking in the SE. I really like Golds personally... good staff, nice eye candy etc.

Oz-
03-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I am a member at the one in Richmond. Total health club feel, but luckily I go first thing in the morning, when none of the circle jerks/dumbell curl mafias are around yet.

Wish they had real power racks (hybrid olympic quat racks right now), a reverse hyper machine, a Glute/Ham Machine (not the angled hyperextension), and a trap/deadlift bar.

This place certainly caters more to the everyday person and that everyone can be active and healthy...blah blah.

A790
03-25-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm with Goodlife, booked a personal trainer through them since I was having a hard time staying motivated (shelling out $37/session has a funny way of getting your ass motivated ;))

I really like the atmosphere and the staff there, and the equipment seems pretty standard. Their classes are also pretty decent- my girlfriend goes to them all the time, and I certainly don't have a problem with that :P

~Leah~
03-25-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with checkin out Golds in the SE in Southtrail Crossing.

sr20s14zenki
03-25-2008, 08:42 PM
They make you sign a contract, and normally you have to pay up to 199$ for a membership fee, and then 50$ a month. They will tell you on the phone that you need to come in to discuss the cost, then they lay that kinda thing on you. Their famous line is "it costs about as much as a coffee a day" thats just to get you in there, then there so much more. Find a smaller gym that doesnt have a big name. I went to bigbear fitness in airdrie, no intoductory fees, 25$ a month or something, and they show you all the machines. Just an example anyways.

kerry
03-26-2008, 08:20 AM
The only gym that really doesn't cost much with "startup fees" is YMCA. I also go there hahaha.

rmk
03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
They make you sign a contract, and normally you have to pay up to 199$ for a membership fee, and then 50$ a month. They will tell you on the phone that you need to come in to discuss the cost, then they lay that kinda thing on you. Their famous line is "it costs about as much as a coffee a day" thats just to get you in there, then there so much more. Find a smaller gym that doesnt have a big name. I went to bigbear fitness in airdrie, no intoductory fees, 25$ a month or something, and they show you all the machines. Just an example anyways.

Goodlife was fined a large sum of money last year over their business practices. It was all over the news.

They pulled the same scam on me, except they denied a gift certificate I got for Christmas until I signed a contract. Shady.

hoamic11
03-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Well any gym I sign with, I'll have to pay the stupid startup fees and member dues to get a card and junk like that unless i wanna sign for like 2 or 3 years then they'll waive the fee.

There's really only 3 gyms I can think of in the deep SE area of Mckenzine town, and that being the good life coming up, the gold's that will be opening soon and a fitzone.

What I use to use was the university gym and it was great, but i don't want to be driving like 20-30 mins to get to a gym.

Also what i hate is, that they try to get you in when you wanna know a simple basic price and they go on and on about how it'll cost a dollar or two a day, and when you try to ask something they cut you off to ramble about some more crap with trying to get you in.

95EG6P
04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
It all depends on what you are looking for in a gym, every gym or fitness center has it's pros and cons. Things like Price, atmosphere and equipment can determine where you wanna go or not go.

Cheers

hoamic11
04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
It all depends on what you are looking for in a gym, every gym or fitness center has it's pros and cons. Things like Price, atmosphere and equipment can determine where you wanna go or not go.

Cheers

Well, basic equipment is really all I need, hammer first machines are nice but not really needed.

Price is pretty big, as I don't want to be paying like $700 or more an annual membership, but i guess that's pretty normal to see people paying about $50 or more a month.

Atmosphere, just a regular gym atmosphere, honestly i'm not looking for anything special.

I was just curious to know if anybody has heard anything good or bad about Goodlife in general. If they have experience, or an opinion about them, please speak.Like yesterday, somebody told me that goodlife uses old equipment, or their staff isn't too friendly.

95EG6P
04-10-2008, 05:33 PM
I was at the Goodlife down south when I was training to be a PT, it's the one that was Golds before and now it Goodlife. The people there were very good, the personal trainers were for the most part good. If you want personal training there, I would recommend Sue, she's been in the health and fitness industry for over 20+ yrs. She trained me. Everything about the place was really nice but I think the prices are gonna be higher.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

nj2Type-S
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
my wife and i are considering signing up at goodlife at canyon meadows. the terms are to sign up for 2 yrs at 48/month for the first person and 43/month for the 2nd person so basically 91/month for my wife and i. there will be no start-up fee or whatever if we signed up.

does anyone on here workout there??? it kinda sux working out alone but it kinda sounds gay if i ask someone on here to spot me once in a while, hahah.

rice_balls
06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey nelson i'll spot ya ;)

hahahha

I heard good things about big bear fitness in airdrie

nj2Type-S
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
^lol, too bad you live on the other end of the city! :nut:

hoamic11
06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
anybody go to the one in Mckenzietown?

~Leah~
06-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Not goodlife... waiting for Gold's to open on the 12th finally.

nj2Type-S
06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
what are their introductory rates??

hoamic11
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Not goodlife... waiting for Gold's to open on the 12th finally.

I thought the Gold's was already open off 130th Ave SE.

qbnb
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I've been a member at Fitzone in Douglas Glen for years. It's a nice gym with friendly staff, it's clean and the equipment is well maintained, and it's certainly cheaper than most places out there. I think average rate right now is $24.99/month with unlimited tanning. That's on a one year contract with no start-up fee. My only compliant is that they're only open until 5 on Saturdays and Sundays.

Davetronz
06-04-2008, 12:34 AM
I was waiting for Golds to open up on 130th... I might look into Fitzone as well as the price is appealing.

tighefighter
06-04-2008, 09:43 AM
My GF and I don't live or work close to Goodlife on Macleod anymore. Went to cancel yesterday and we have to make an appointment with the manager...

Next up we're asked if we can come during the day.. total BS, sorry I work.

Customer Service 101 if I want to cancel something I'm paying you for, and don't have a contract, bloody well do it.

~Leah~
06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by hoamic11

I thought the Gold's was already open off 130th Ave SE.

Nope... on the 12th like my post says... lots of delays as usual. It was supposed to open in March.

Davetronz
06-08-2008, 12:47 PM

Nope... on the 12th like my post says... lots of delays as usual. It was supposed to open in March.

You don't know any of the details on what amenities they will have do you? I heard something about a swimming pool.... But I don't know if I believe it.

Gondi Stylez
06-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I go to Fitzone and it is pretty good. The weekend hours are pretty hurt but the Golds isn't open yet.

~Leah~
06-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz

You don't know any of the details on what amenities they will have do you? I heard something about a swimming pool.... But I don't know if I believe it.

1/2 Olympic size yup. And a hot yoga studio as well which I'm pumped about. It's crazy. Check out the floor plan on the website at www.goldsgymmckenzie.com

lewdvig
06-08-2008, 08:47 PM
WHC and Goodlife are both my clients.

Goodlife is a lot bigger and HQed in ON if that makes a dif. WHC is a Calgary story.

They are both pretty solid companies - not going anywhere.

Gondi Stylez
06-09-2008, 12:31 AM

1/2 Olympic size yup. And a hot yoga studio as well which I'm pumped about. It's crazy. Check out the floor plan on the website at www.goldsgymmckenzie.com

THAT LOOKS INSANE! I guess it is finally opening this week!

Too bad I'm in for 2 years at FitZone. After that though I may just do this! :thumbsup:

Oz-
06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
My rant about Good Life Fitness...the one located in Richmond specifically.

The weights are starting to fall apart and they don't bother replacing them or attempting to fix them. Likely harder to fix since they use those stupid stupid rubber TKO crap dumbbells. The end caps are falling off of these, there are various dumbbells with one end that is loose, the knurling on anything over 60 lbs is gone.

There are only 2 "squat" racks and both are meh-type hybrids, the only rack with safety pins has pin spacing that is 10-12" apart. Even worse then that is the morons using the friggin rack to do bicep curls....WTF!!?!!?!?

Over 2/3's of the Olympic bars have very little knurling left on them. Its not that bad when warming up on my day of working up to a big single pull, but once I start getting 4+ wheels per side that shit isn't fun. If I was allowed to use chalk it wouldn't be as bad, but not allowed and told that I could have my membership revoked.

No Glute Ham raise machine, so have to rig up a solution to do this exercise. But told that I am not using the equipment for its intended purpose. Just get a single G/H machine and get rid of one of the other 5 back hyperextension machines, 4 decline ab boards, etc.

Example of what I do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBgbdHQmxA

Thanks for reading this far, but if the new Good Life in McKenzie is managed anywhere close to what it is in Richmond...I would stay away. The only reason I stay is that it is less then a 5 minute drive there or a 20 minute jog.

hoamic11
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, this one isn't too bad, it mean it's like a 5-10 min walk from my place, got in on a contract for $15.50 bi-weekly, the facility doesn't seem too bad. all the machines are new, b/c the place just opened up in may.

For me, this is my first gym membership, b/c i use to use the facilities at the university back in regina. for me, i would have rather worked out at home with some bodyweight exercises then pay $60/month for a membership that i wouldn't think about getting the worth from as well b/c my budget isn't so big. but for what I'm getting and seeing, it's good for me.

don't really talk to the staff, so can't really say how their customer service is, but for not it doesn't seem bad.

If i went to the gold's opening off 130th, its like a 5 min drive or 25 min walk from where i am. i'm sure the hours are about the same or better.

the goodlife is like 6-11 M-F, 8-8 sat.sun, i think friday it closes abit earlier like 10, but i don't remember.

~Leah~
06-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, I believe Gold's is 5-12 M-F (open till midnite every day), then 8-8 S-S.

GQBalla
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
the golds in NE is open 24 hours a day during the weekdays i believe its monday thru thursday though

vtec4life
06-09-2008, 03:19 PM
I've never even done yoga before but i heard that hot yoga is pretty intense...they heat up a room like a sauna right??. and ya that location on 130th looks massive, I'm definitely gonna go there once it opens, I went to the goodlife in mk towne yesterday and I'd say for a moderately experienced person its probably lacking in some equipment and over time would probably get boring, not to mention the gay fact that they MUST SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT to talk about rates and stuff, you drive all the way there and they dont even have a brochure!? fuck that noise

hoamic11
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Yeah, its like somebody else was saying about them/friend, for cancelling when he went in, they had to book an appointment with a manager to quit, i think that's rediculous.

Davetronz
06-11-2008, 08:22 PM

It looks awesome! Thanks Leah!

nj2Type-S
06-12-2008, 07:20 AM
i went down to WHC in midnapore and they've got a special going on right now @ $39.99/month with no initiation fee ($199) for a one year term. the only thing you've gotta pay for is that keychain pass and your last month's fee for a total of $75. if anyone here lives close to there, you should check it out.

vtec4life
06-12-2008, 04:14 PM
Definitely got a membership to Golds yesterday and ill be hittin it up for the grand opening tonight!!!!!!!! i checked it out yesterday and its soo nice inside, the changerooms are mint, a sauna AND a steamroom, big ass hot tub, lcd's with cable on ALL cardio equip, and HOT girls working there from what i saw yesterday:D

nj2Type-S
06-12-2008, 10:00 PM
^how much did you end up paying for their grand opening special?

vtec4life
06-13-2008, 10:05 AM
$26.99 bi-weekly, and no $199 start up fee...plus 3 months free towel service and tanning which aint a bad freebie.

~Leah~
06-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I gotta say I went there (the new Golds) today and wasn't overly impressed. In fact I was a little bit disappointed. The pool is clearly nowhere near being done and doesn't look like it will be for AT LEAST another couple months. The equipment is all nice, but I would sure expect that being that it's brand new and all. The customer service I received there was complete shit as well.

Davetronz
06-15-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up :(

~Leah~
06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
I would still consider it a nice gym, I mean, it's big and everything... just not everything it was hyped up to be.