PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Car - transferring plates for a day?

Khalil.e
03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
When buying a used car, I was told that you can use the plates from your car, use them on the car you just purchased - and you will be okay for xx hours, or xx days.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

brandon
03-25-2008, 01:42 PM
If you have insurance on the car you're buying you can use a plate that is under the name of the person who is buying the car for 14 days before registering it.

kevie88
03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by brandon
If you have insurance on the car you're buying you can use a plate that is under the name of the person who is buying the car for 14 days before registering it.

exactly! You MUST have insurance on the vehicle!! You can get insurance for a day or two at any insurance place if you need to..

Team_Mclaren
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by brandon

Only if the original car where that plate came from has been sold/deactivated IIRC.

If you have insurance, keep your bill of sale with you and you can drive plate-less for 14days without registration. IIRC

Thaco
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Only if the original car where that plate came from has been sold/deactivated IIRC.

If you have insurance, keep your bill of sale with you and you can drive plate-less for 14days without registration. IIRC

but it's usually easier to have a plate on the car, then you're less likely to get pulled over in the first place.

rc2002
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Most cops are pretty lenient about the grace period for registration but are very anal about insurance.

As long as you have insurance, you can take your sweet time going to register it. 14 days is recommended, but you can just keep the bill of sale in the car and keep changing the sale date. Or leave the date blank and then write it in when you get pulled over.

anhsicun
03-25-2008, 09:40 PM
i got pull over on my way to the registry in a car i just bought and they gave me a ticket for using a plate from a different car as a tempoary plate. they told me it was illegal. if i were u drive it plateless

Scope951
03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
I JUST DID THIS WITH MY VEHICLE.

Take the plates off an existing vehicle. Tell your insurance company you are purchasing a new vehicle and that you are using that plate on it for the day of transit.

I got pulled over and i was 100% fine about it.
I also obtained a in transit for the vehicle as well.

do those 2 things and your good to go.

Kloubek
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
You really don't have to let them know. But they obviously appreciate it when you do.