PDA

View Full Version : Job oppourtunities in California

Jlude
03-26-2008, 01:57 AM
I was having breakfast last week with the headhunters who found me and connected me with the company I now work for and they asked if I knew of anyone else interested in moving down to California.

I don't know exactly where all the jobs are located, I do know they have a ton of positions that need to be filled.

Please don't waste their time or mine. If you're not serious, then don't bother looking into it.

To see if you would qualify for a US work visa... visit this website.. http://www.amcits.com/ it has all the info you need.

They're looking for professionals, whether it's engineering, IT, manufacturing... whatever. I'll try and get a list of openings they have currently and the locations so you guys can have a look.

If you're interested in relocating and are a leader/professional in your field... pm me your title, a brief description of what you do and a resume if you'd like (not right away if you don't want to) and I'll pass the info along to these guys.

The recruiters are both in their late 50's (i'd guess), are easy to deal with and are really nice guys.

I gain nothing from doing any of this, just trying to open a door for someone who might not otherwise get the oppourtunity.

Euro_Trash
03-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Pm'd

Jlude
03-26-2008, 09:22 AM
no they can't find you a job in Calgary, idiot.

Euro_Trash
03-26-2008, 09:28 AM
If that was directed at me, I asked about a California position :dunno:

cityhunter2501
03-26-2008, 09:37 AM
might be interested, do they have entry level position for new graduates as well?

JWL
03-26-2008, 09:40 AM
PMd you.

Jlude
03-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
If that was directed at me, I asked about a California position :dunno:

Certainly not directed at you!

Originally posted by cityhunter2501
might be interested, do they have entry level position for new graduates as well?

yes they do

analbumcover
03-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Any Sales Positions :D

googe
03-26-2008, 09:57 AM
might want to add that you need a degree on the list if NAFTA approved jobs for the TN-1 to have any chance of getting in. H1-B visa's are essentially hopeless, as theyre capped, and there is only 1 day a year that they are accepted. I'm too lazy to find the list, but anyone that is interested should google for that.

Jlude
03-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by googe
might want to add that you need a degree on the list if NAFTA approved jobs for the TN-1 to have any chance of getting in. H1-B visa's are essentially hopeless, as theyre capped, and there is only 1 day a year that they are accepted. I'm too lazy to find the list, but anyone that is interested should google for that.

I have a TN-1 visa and don't have a degree.

Jlude
03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
If you're emailig me a resume, please include your title in the email body... and your beyond user idea so I know who the hell you are!

googe
03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Jlude

well, for one or 2 professions you can have a 2 year diploma + 3 years experience. "systems analyst" is one of them. but pretty much everything else on the short list of allowed professions requires at least a bachelors degree, and they specifically say no amount of experience can be used in place of one. does that apply to your situation?

Jlude
03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok... so they're looking for: (At the moment)
Welding engineer, Manufacturing Engineer and Industrial Engineer

Jlude
03-26-2008, 11:43 AM

well, for one or 2 professions you can have a 2 year diploma + 3 years experience. "systems analyst" is one of them. but pretty much everything else on the short list of allowed professions requires at least a bachelors degree, and they specifically say no amount of experience can be used in place of one. does that apply to your situation?

I'm down here under the Scientific Tech category.

Antonito
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM

I'm down here under the Scientific Tech category.

Under that category there are wishy-washy terms (for example: an ability to problem solve), does this come down to your employer saying that yes, you do fit that criteria, that's why they're hiring you, or do you have to jump through hoops to prove that on your own?

Manhattan
03-26-2008, 01:06 PM
You don't know how to spell opportunities :eek:

Jlude
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
You don't know how to spell opportunities :eek:

Apparently not

Jlude
03-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Ok... so they're looking for: (At the moment)
Welding engineer, Manufacturing Engineer and Industrial Engineer

kenny
04-04-2008, 04:48 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/03/31/bc-borderblocked.html?ref=rss&loomia_si=t0:a3:g4:r5:c0

Just saw that today and thought of this thread.

Jlude
04-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by kenny

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/03/31/bc-borderblocked.html?ref=rss&loomia_si=t0:a3:g4:r5:c0

Fack, that's some scary shit... Now I'm even nervous to drive up to calgary for DTP.

He has the exact same visa, classification, everything.

AND he has a lot more experience than I do.

Fuckin' americans. Them not letting him does jack fuckin' squat other than cause him a whole lot of grief.

tabouli
04-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I cannot fathom a single reason as to why I'd give up my current position and title to work in America. There are no details here ...

Who are the employers?
Where are the positions located in California?
What are some of the benefits?

As far as I can tell from the info posted, the only positive aspect being offered is relocation to California. Which for some of us (myself particularly), is a gigantic drawback.

I've got a news flash ... Every city in the world is looking for experienced professionals. I could pack up and work in Beijing, Cairo, Barcelona, or Moscow if I chose to. So what are the incentives to relocate to California?

adamc
04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
so why are you even bothering to comment if you're not interested?

ricefarmer
04-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by adamc
so why are you even bothering to comment if you're not interested?

Because he wants to know...

Originally posted by tabouli
So what are the incentives to relocate to California?

adamc
04-05-2008, 12:36 PM
It's a local interest story.

Jlude recently packed up and moved to California from Calgary, leaving the snow and the shitty roads behind.

Makes a ton of money, bought two amazing new cars, and got flooded with inquiries from people on beyond wanting to do the same thing.

Now this thread exists.

Jlude
04-05-2008, 01:05 PM
I cannot fathom a single reason as to why I'd give up my current position and title to work in America. There are no details here ...

Who are the employers?
What are some of the benefits?

As far as I can tell from the info posted, the only positive aspect being offered is relocation to California. Which for some of us (myself particularly), is a gigantic drawback.

I've got a news flash ... Every city in the world is looking for experienced professionals. I could pack up and work in Beijing, Cairo, Barcelona, or Moscow if I chose to. So what are the incentives to relocate to California?

I don't know exactly where all the jobs are located, I do know they have a ton of positions that need to be filled.

Ok idiot...

If moving to California is a gigantic drawback, then why bother posting. You're obviously not interested.

Yes, every major city in the world is looking for professionals. Are they knockin' on your door? NO... if they were you would already be there.

I was simply trying to open a door for someone on beyond who might want to move to California for a change. I have since this thread was started, passed along a couple of resumes to the headhunters and I hope that those beyond members will be able to find something they like down here.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on moving to California, because if it wasn't for the money, I probably would have never left Calgary.

tabouli
04-06-2008, 07:30 PM
You didn't answer any of my questions, and insulted me for asking them?

Ok idiot...

Oh yeah, real professionals at work :rolleyes:

Nothing concrete here. Just another "friend of a friend" waste of time. Don't expect me to draw-back my skepticism for the massive lack of info. Not that your details weren't incredibly helpful...

they are like 50 year old headhunters

Thanks tips. That fills in ALL the blanks

I hope you're not counting on referral bonus money to pay for your S2k.

Jlude
04-06-2008, 09:24 PM
You didn't answer any of my questions, and insulted me for asking them?

Oh yeah, real professionals at work :rolleyes:

Nothing concrete here. Just another "friend of a friend" waste of time. Don't expect me to draw-back my skepticism for the massive lack of info. Not that your details weren't incredibly helpful...

Thanks tips. That fills in ALL the blanks

I hope you're not counting on referral bonus money to pay for your S2k.

The three questions you asked were answered in my original post.

Who are the employers?
I don't know who the employers are, I didn't even know the name of this company until I was on my way down for the interview.

As stated with big bold lettering in my original post, I don't know where exactly the jobs are located.

What are some of the benefits? Oh, I don't know... the fact that it's sunny all year round?!?

Oh yeah, real professionals at work

:rofl: :rofl: I never claimed to be a "professional".

Just another friend of a friend waste of time? Dude, sounds to me like you're not skeptical, you're just jealous or something. What on earth would you have to be skeptical about? I'm simply passing along a couple of beyond members resumes. I have not promised anything to anyone, simply trying to do a good deed.

I still don't understand why you would be such a jackass in a thread where I am only trying to help other members out, I've already forwarded a couple of beyond member resumes and that's all I intended to do, if it works out for them, then great. If not, oh well, at least an attempt was made.

referral bonus money to pay off my s2k?

Hahaha, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. As I've said already, I gain nothing, there is no referral bonus.

Fiasco
04-06-2008, 09:41 PM

The three questions you asked were answered in my original post.

Who are the employers?
I don't know who the employers are, I didn't even know the name of this company until I was on my way down for the interview.

As stated with big bold lettering in my original post, I don't know where exactly the jobs are located.

What are some of the benefits? Oh, I don't know... the fact that it's sunny all year round?!?

Oh yeah, real professionals at work

:rofl: :rofl: I never claimed to be a "professional".

Just another friend of a friend waste of time? Dude, sounds to me like you're not skeptical, you're just jealous or something. What on earth would you have to be skeptical about? I'm simply passing along a couple of beyond members resumes. I have not promised anything to anyone, simply trying to do a good deed.

I still don't understand why you would be such a jackass in a thread where I am only trying to help other members out, I've already forwarded a couple of beyond member resumes and that's all I intended to do, if it works out for them, then great. If not, oh well, at least an attempt was made.

referral bonus money to pay off my s2k?

Hahaha, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. As I've said already, I gain nothing, there is no referral bonus.

oh, and idiot... the s2k will be paid off in 6 months and the 335i roughly 6-8 months after that.

And yes, you are an idiot! :thumbsup:

right on dude, i always envy the professional dudes like you! we should all strive for this level!

finboy
04-06-2008, 10:05 PM

oh, and idiot... the s2k will be paid off in 6 months and the 335i roughly 6-8 months after that.

And yes, you are an idiot! :thumbsup:

you are planning to buy some kind of property before you pay off the cars right? :dunno:

good on you for dropping the info on the jobs, i'm sure many here are interested, but you might want to leave the personal insults out of the thread.

adamc
04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
fuck property.. you can sleep in your car, but you sure as hell can't race your house around a track!

priorities. :thumbsup:

Jlude
04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by finboy

you are planning to buy some kind of property before you pay off the cars right? :dunno:

good on you for dropping the info on the jobs, i'm sure many here are interested, but you might want to leave the personal insults out of the thread.

Yes, I've begun to do some reasearch on the local market and plan to buy something this year. I have a 7 month lease where I am living currently, once that is up, I'd like to buy some real estate.

I agree... I didn't intend for this thread to turn out the way it did... I'll remove those remarks.

Originally posted by adamc
fuck property.. you can sleep in your car, but you sure as hell can't race your house around a track!

priorities. :thumbsup:

Yes sir, Priorities!!!

gpomp
04-06-2008, 11:18 PM
what do you do exactly???

how do we know that this isn't some multi level marketing scam?

Zephyr
04-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by kenny

lol that article reminded me of this South Park:

uORAyORWRAA

But I'm curious, what jobs are you speaking of? As far as I know, a lot of engineers graduating from my campus are having a hard time finding a job, the job sector is in deep water at the moment, unless you're a nurse or teacher. This sounds fishy as recently unemployment is rising a lot recently too.

googe
04-07-2008, 04:39 AM
this is like typical bmw 3 series owner and paid off condo guy all in one :rofl:

anyway, its no special lead, or even an opportunity per se...maybe some people don't realize that recruiters are a dime a dozen down there. put your resume on monster and dice and your phone will ring off the hook. doesn't mean people will be throwing job offers at you, recruiters just try and match up as many candidates and employers as possible, so its all about volume for them.

recruiters also take a large chunk of your salary, and this is why there is no mention of a company, position, or anything. if a recruiter has your resume, they don't want you to find out who they are shopping for, or you could just ask the company directly, and they'd get cut out.

basically he is saying he's just going to give resumes to the recruiters that he originally gave his to.

they work a lot like real estate agents actually, haha...

but if anyone else gets a job, please don't start a bunch of threads about how you're moving to a better place and getting red carpet treatment, naming all the nice cars you're buying and how fast you're paying them off and calling other people jealous idiots. its bad form :thumbsup:

Jlude
04-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
what do you do exactly???

how do we know that this isn't some multi level marketing scam?

I am an operations manager for a Structural Steel detailing firm.

Originally posted by Zephyr

lol that article reminded me of this South Park:

uORAyORWRAA

But I'm curious, what jobs are you speaking of? As far as I know, a lot of engineers graduating from my campus are having a hard time finding a job, the job sector is in deep water at the moment, unless you're a nurse or teacher. This sounds fishy as recently unemployment is rising a lot recently too.

As stated above, I listed the exact positions. I have been following the employement situation in the US... but I can honestly say that I haven't seen any effects in northern california.

this is like typical bmw 3 series owner and paid off condo guy all in one :rofl:

anyway, its no special lead, or even an opportunity per se...maybe some people don't realize that recruiters are a dime a dozen down there. put your resume on monster and dice and your phone will ring off the hook. doesn't mean people will be throwing job offers at you, recruiters just try and match up as many candidates and employers as possible, so its all about volume for them.

recruiters also take a large chunk of your salary, and this is why there is no mention of a company, position, or anything. if a recruiter has your resume, they don't want you to find out who they are shopping for, or you could just ask the company directly, and they'd get cut out.

basically he is saying he's just going to give resumes to the recruiters that he originally gave his to.

they work a lot like real estate agents actually, haha...

but if anyone else gets a job, please don't start a bunch of threads about how you're moving to a better place and getting red carpet treatment, naming all the nice cars you're buying and how fast you're paying them off and calling other people jealous idiots. its bad form :thumbsup:

Yes, recruiters are literally a dime a dozen.

Your definition of a recruiter is bang on, I don't disagree.

Start a bunch of threads? I started two threads... one that I was moving to california, and one that about the cr... oh, and one about my dog. I'm young and was very excited about my new life. I figured I would share some photos and info with beyond, obviously a mistake.

I agree it was bad form to make comments about my finances.

Anyways... just forget it, I was only trying to help a couple people out.

Best of luck.

mods please close

:closed:

FlySi
04-07-2008, 09:38 AM

I agree it was bad form to make comments about my finances.

:closed:

uhh, what finances exactly? do u think anyone is impressed by a guy who buys two new cars and doesnt even own a house first? if anything u sound like the guys on beyond who have a $50,000 car and park it at their rented condo :rofl:

Euro_Trash
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Wow a lot of hating going on for a guy who has offered his help. Jlude gladly sent my resume on and has answered a shit load of my questions without a problem. Maybe I wont find a job through him, but I know a lot more about moving to California for a career, which is exactly what I want to do. Suddenly this thread is about someone elses finances... (FlySi, you are making fun of a guy with two cars and no house, but you drive a 97 Civic :rolleyes: )
There have been a lot worse threads on Beyond

Jlude
04-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by FlySi

uhh, what finances exactly? do u think anyone is impressed by a guy who buys two new cars and doesnt even own a house first? if anything u sound like the guys on beyond who have a $50,000 car and park it at their rented condo :rofl:

Finances... meaning my comments about paying off my cars.

I didn't expect anyone to be impressed nor was that my intention. I don't do anything for anyone else, I do it for myself. And yes, I have two brand new vehicles without owning any real estate in california... and I'm not gonna jump into that just yet either.

Antonito
04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Man this thread got gay in a hurry. For a website populated by wannabe ballers and which has entire sections dedicated to showing off new cars, which the owner himself does (since this is a CAR FORUM!), you guys are sure being pretty hard on the guy.

And for the record, Jlude spent a lot of time e-mailing with my friend trying to help him, although he doesn't want to go to California, so last I heard Jlude for no reason other than to be helpful forwarded his resume to the people he knows here in town. No headhunters have started harrasing my friend, and I have yet to see anythign malicious going on.

icecreamvan
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM

Why is that any of your business, and how is it relevant to this thread?

403Gemini
04-07-2008, 01:31 PM

You're really grasping at straws to make yourself feel better aren't you?

Rui M
04-12-2008, 09:02 AM
the dude lives in california, i bet the homeless there wouldnt move to calgary even if they were offered 6 figure jobs haha.

modded46
04-12-2008, 10:53 AM
jlude, don't let the haters get to you.. Most of the people that make negative comments are just jealous and have no chance whatsoever of leaving their parents basement let alone move to somewhere as amazing as California..

It's amazing how the more you try and help people out the more they try and shit on you.. And these people are supposed to be the "Friendly, kind, giving Canadians?" Come on.. I'm met some of the most amazing people in the week that I've been down here already that put a lot of Canadians to shame for even thinking they are "nice"..

Good for you on moving and definitely wish you all the best!! If I were you however, I would stay put and not go back to Canada unless it's a) an emergency or b) when it's time to renew your VISA. That's how I got fucked the first time I moved to the US and it took 7 years (some by choice) for me to get back here.

Jlude
04-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by modded46
jlude, don't let the haters get to you.. Most of the people that make negative comments are just jealous and have no chance whatsoever of leaving their parents basement let alone move to somewhere as amazing as California..

It's amazing how the more you try and help people out the more they try and shit on you.. And these people are supposed to be the "Friendly, kind, giving Canadians?" Come on.. I'm met some of the most amazing people in the week that I've been down here already that put a lot of Canadians to shame for even thinking they are "nice"..

Good for you on moving and definitely wish you all the best!! If I were you however, I would stay put and not go back to Canada unless it's a) an emergency or b) when it's time to renew your VISA. That's how I got fucked the first time I moved to the US and it took 7 years (some by choice) for me to get back here.

Thanks!

Best of luck to you as well.

maxthevoice
04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
^^^^

Jlude, what do you know about the salaries of the head hunters that recruited you?

I'm completing a bachelor's degree in industrial relations and I've been called for a second interview at a company that wants me to be a headhunter. Job looks really interesting and it looks like it could pay alot, since they charge outrageous price for their work and they're only 2 in the company right now.

Any info on that? thanks!

Jlude
04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by maxthevoice
^^^^

Jlude, what do you know about the salaries of the head hunters that recruited you?

I'm completing a bachelor's degree in industrial relations and I've been called for a second interview at a company that wants me to be a headhunter. Job looks really interesting and it looks like it could pay alot, since they charge outrageous price for their work and they're only 2 in the company right now.

Any info on that? thanks!

Sorry, I have no idea about their salaries.

sexualbanana
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I've been trying to move back down to California since the summer I interned in LA, but I was always stuck on the immigration issue.

gretz
04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
im a mechanical engineer with ample experience - any positions / worth it?

Supa Dexta
04-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a friend in NS who was working in boston for over a yr, maybe even 2, and he came home one time and then they wouldn't let him return. He ended up leaving the job and getting one in NS.

I see California commercials running on tv promoting tourism and looking for workers.

Jlude
04-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I have a friend in NS who was working in boston for over a yr, maybe even 2, and he came home one time and then they wouldn't let him return. He ended up leaving the job and getting one in NS.

I see California commercials running on tv promoting tourism and looking for workers.

I'm gonna call border protection this week to find out if it may be an issue.
I have stamped on my passport/work visa that I am allowed multiple entries. But if there is even a chance of being not allowed back in, I will not be coming up for DTP. It's not worth the risk.

pinoyhero
04-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Hehe, with all this interest you should be talking to your contacts about a finders fee.

Antonito
04-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

I wonder what percentage of people gets screwed like this? I'd think it's pretty small, or else we'd hear a lot more about it.

It blows my mind though to hear that story in the news the other day that once some border guard gets it in his head that you shouldn't be coming in and "stealin our amurican jobs" that that's the end of it. Like what the hell, why did you issue the paperwork in the first place if it doesn't mean anything? (note: this is all from an article I read, which could be severely uneducated)

googe
04-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

I wonder what percentage of people gets screwed like this? I'd think it's pretty small, or else we'd hear a lot more about it.

It blows my mind though to hear that story in the news the other day that once some border guard gets it in his head that you shouldn't be coming in and "stealin our amurican jobs" that that's the end of it. Like what the hell, why did you issue the paperwork in the first place if it doesn't mean anything? (note: this is all from an article I read, which could be severely uneducated)

We are hearing about it quite a bit actually. The biggest problem is the TN visa category, because it's an oral, yearly application, and not intended to be permanent. TN is not a dual-intent visa, meaning you have to satisfy the officer that you are not making a permanent move or intending to immigrate. It is getting worse in recent years. The other common work visa, H1, is capped now so it's virtually impossible to get these days too.

In short, TN applicants have NO us immigration paperwork when they go to apply. It's not like they have been issued authorization and then got denied. It's a matter of go to the border with a copy of your resume/degree/offer letter, plead your case then and there, and they say yes or no on your way in.

sexualbanana
04-22-2008, 10:14 PM
and i imagine it'll get worse and worse as their economy goes deeper into recession