PDA

View Full Version : Dealership rant - yet another one.

spikerS
03-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi guys, I thought I would pass this on. I am going to post this on every forum / bulliten board i can find.

2 weekends ago, march 15th, my parents were car shopping. during the course of finding a new vehicle, they were told of a huge sale taking place in Ponoka. My parents figgured they would go check it out being only half an hour away.

They went to the dealership, and ended up buying a new Ford Escape. nice little SUV really, fully loaded, and at a good price. during the process they were told of a draw the dealership was putting on for people who bought vehicles that weekend. In the middle of the showroom, there was a "mystery car". The deal was, if someone bought a car during thier sale, thier name was entered into a draw to be held the following Saturday.

Like i said, my parents bought a new car, so thier name got entered into the draw, and went down on the 22nd for the car draw. They figgured their odds were pretty good as about 20 people showed up for the draw. They drew 3 names from the lot, and my parents were not on there. they then emptied the draw box, and put the 3 ballots back in, drawing out one at a time, and the last one in there won the car.

Well, the guy was really happy he had won, until they revealed the car. They removed the cover sheet, there was a collective gasp. The mystery car this guy won, was a 1984 Mercury Topaz, that would not start, and in my parents words, felt like they needed a teatnus shot just being in the same area as it.

I think that this is done in pretty poor taste. If I worked at this dealership, or owned it, and pulled something like this, I would be friggin embarassed. This is piss poor on sooo many levels. like many of the people there expressed, they were not expecting a NEW car, but not a vehicle that would only be driven to the DUMP. Please pass this on to anyone you know, and feel free to post on other boards. I am also debating on contacting Ford Canada regarding this, as this place is dragging the Ford name through the mud.

topmade
03-26-2008, 07:41 AM
:rofl: 84 Topaz :rofl:
When I bought my 94 civic, there was a draw to win your car back and the guy who bought his car after me won it, F*CK!!!

rage2
03-26-2008, 07:53 AM
:rofl:

It's Ponoka man, nobody goes to Ponoka except to fail trying to fight their speeding tickets! Don't really need to spread the word there buddy haha.

JordanAndrew
03-26-2008, 08:07 AM
This reminds me of that incident that happened to a hooters employee. They had a contest in however had the best sales or something like that wins a brand new "Toyota" or so it sounded at first.

When someone finally won, they revealed the prize. To everyone's surprise it was actually a "Toy Yoda" from the star wars movies. The hooters girl filed a lawsuit and won. She did get her toyota later on I believe. But don't quote me.

Hooters and Toy Yoda (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/05/09/toy-yoda.htm)

:rofl: :rofl:

01RedDX
03-26-2008, 08:09 AM

2002civic
03-26-2008, 08:13 AM
haha that's brutal

rmk
03-26-2008, 08:16 AM
Pwned :rofl:

kerry
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
OWNED.
Too bad you guys didn't win... you could've riced out the Topaz.

analbumcover
03-26-2008, 08:31 AM
haha, i hope they didnt take it, thats worthless

gran turismo
03-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I think it could be argued that people bought vehicles at that dealership during this week because of this "mystery car" draw all else being equal.

But now, the winner of this shitbox, may actually have to cough up money to get rid of this car.

Ya, I'd say that's pretty brutal. I don't think Ford Canada would be very happy if they heard dealers were pulling this kind of crap.

spikerS
03-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by analbumcover
haha, i hope they didnt take it, thats worthless

from what i understand, the guy that won, didn't take it. said the towing fees to the scrap yard was more than he could sell it to the scrap yard for.

Kloubek
03-26-2008, 08:54 AM
That's pretty bad. Why bother having a contest at all?

Guess I heard somewhere that a bad public reaction is better than no reaction at all....

But a Topaz? That's just WRONG.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
:rofl: :rofl: Damn!

kevie88
03-26-2008, 11:02 AM
WAAAAAAAHHHHH!! I DIDN"T WIN WHAT I WAAANTEEED!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

*gasp*

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/2936/wambulance5fw.jpg

If I won that I would have been happy, throw it up for sale for $200, and buy some beer with the money.

rc2002
03-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by gran turismo
I don't think Ford Canada would be very happy if they heard dealers were pulling this kind of crap.

Yeah, I would complain to the head office too for shady sales tactics. Sounds like Ponoka fails at everything.

spikerS
03-26-2008, 12:32 PM
thanks kev, looks like you really read it through. Disapointed they didn't win sure, but not after we saw thie POS they were giving away.

Sharpie
03-26-2008, 12:45 PM
HAHAHAHA holy fuck you actually made a thread about this? WOW.

Toms-SC
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Thats fucking funny. Digg this shit.

Ferio_vti
03-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Was this 'mystery car' under a white sheet or something covering it in the middle of the show room?? If so, was there any chance you coulda took a peek at it before hand?? And even if you did, what would the dealership do to you??

kevie88
03-26-2008, 01:23 PM
I think this is hilarious, I read it and I still think you're nuts for complaining about someone getting a car (any car) for free... damn, give it away to the kidney foundation and get a tax recipt ($50 or so) hell, you're still ahead!

So it's not the Ford GT you (they) had hoped for! The fact that you are wanting to "drag the ford dealer's name thru the mud" makes you look petty in my mind..

Pretty good promotion if you ask me! haha

Sharpie
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by kevie88
I think this is hilarious, I read it and I still think you're nuts for complaining about someone getting a car (any car) for free... damn, give it away to the kidney foundation and get a tax recipt ($50 or so) hell, you're still ahead!

So it's not the Ford GT you (they) had hoped for! The fact that you are wanting to "drag the ford dealer's name thru the mud" makes you look petty in my mind..

Pretty good promotion if you ask me! haha
honestly though I would sue them. its complete bullshit. they were supposed to get a brand new car to go with their brand new car..

spikerS
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
oh man you guys just don't get it...

Sharpie
03-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by spikers
oh man you guys just don't get it...
No i believe we do...

stunta666
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Just be glad your parents got what they wanted at a good price. Most stories you hear about car buying experiences are horror stories. I wonder if they got some footage of the winner's reaction when he seen the ride. That's some mean shit to pull. I read something a while back about some hooter's contest where the winner was supposed to get a new toyota but instead it was a new toy yoda ( some action figure i think) and she tried to sue hooters for that.

TomcoPDR
03-27-2008, 05:41 AM
:rofl: I still got some oil filters from my high school hand-me-down '90 Topaz

Rocky
03-27-2008, 08:04 AM
I dunno, personally I agree that's a pretty shitty deal. There's sort of established norms about these kind of things. It's not really a contest if the prize is shittier than the entry fee really. And I mean, we're talking about a prize for buying a car, not a prize for visiting the Ford dealership. It should have at least been something worthwhile, not them trying to push sales while clearing out some junk. At the very least it was a little dishonorable and in extremely poor taste.