PDA

View Full Version : Ariel Atom Experience

483hp
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Has anybody done this at Race City. What did you think of the event? Was it well organized? I'm thinking about doing their Platinum event this year.

BlackFyre
03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
I know someone on the forum did, I remember seeing the post last year, but I can't find the post in the search.

lint
03-26-2008, 10:42 PM
doesn't rage have vids of his experience?

SilverKast
03-27-2008, 03:01 PM
I did this last year out at Race City. We had a blast driving the Atoms, those things can really go. Here's my $0.02:

- Event is very well organized on the Ariel side. They did a very good job looking after us and everything went very well.

- Race city as a hosting facility is terrible. I'm not familiar with their history, and I believe there are financial difficulties, but it came across as poorly maintained and just an all around bad facility. The comments from the Ariel team confirmed this as they noted that every other facility their tour visits was much better.

- Found that driving experience depended somewhat on the "instructor" you were paired with. There were a few that made it really enjoyable, but also a couple who I thought put a damper on things by being overly cautious beyond what was reasonable for the circumstances.

- Think we went with the Platinum package as well, got lots of takehome goodies like hats, videos, shirts, etc.

Overall my group had a great time. I'd defiinitely recommend it for anyone who hasn't tried. If I was to go again though, I'd definitely go at a different facility just to see what kind of difference it would make.

whiskas
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
How restrictive are they? Do they tell you you can't go over X gear, over X kph, or do you have to stay behind some lame pace car the whole time?

If someone is going to drop a couple grand to go there they should have the pleasure of pushing the happy pedal all the way down.

rage2
03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
How restrictive are they? Do they tell you you can't go over X gear, over X kph, or do you have to stay behind some lame pace car the whole time?

If someone is going to drop a couple grand to go there they should have the pleasure of pushing the happy pedal all the way down.
They wouldn't let me use 2nd gear or the curbs even though it was faster. I got in shit from the instructor several times for using curbs and dropping to 2nd in 2 of the corners. When we went out for the instructor demo lap at the end of the day, they were all over 2nd gear and curbs lol.

You can go as fast as you want, but you can't follow cars in front of you close, nor can you pass in corners (normal lapping day rules). It made things difficult cuz a lot of ppl didn't want to get passed so it fucked over a few of my good laps.

It was still pretty fun. I'd do it again. Watch out for the fast 3rd gear corners. At the tire's limits, the back end is pretty twitchy. A street car has more high speed downforce than these things.

strong
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Just wondering were they Ecotec or Honduh powered?

Inzane
03-27-2008, 03:32 PM
How much did this event cost?

rage2
03-27-2008, 03:35 PM
S/C Ecotec. More than enough power for 99% of the people doing this event.

strong
03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Definitly thanks for the info, I was planing on maybe watching last year but had to work. Very interesting car and idea behind it. Must have been a blast minus the rules of course.

strong
03-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh BTW were you the 1% that could have used the exrta power

483hp
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys for the comments.

rc2002
03-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Good thread. I was looking at this last week too, although not the platinum package. $900 for the basic package already seems pretty steep to me to drive a go-kart at race-city.

ExtraSlow
03-28-2008, 05:09 PM
I don't think I'd call it a go-kart.

E36M3
05-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Late reply, but I did the event with Rage last year, and echo his comments. We are doing the platinum thing this year again (they developed it based on our suggestions, and are really great guys) and will let you know.. you end up doing it?

They promised to let us use 2nd gear and the bumps this time..

Jayson
05-28-2008, 12:06 PM
How much is the platinum experience?

E36M3
05-28-2008, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure what the would charge for an individual or if you can do the platinum individually. We do a corporate event each year.

Originally posted by Jayson
How much is the platinum experience?

483hp
05-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
you end up doing it?
Unfortunately not this year. Will schedule it for next year.

speedracer
05-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2

They wouldn't let me use 2nd gear or the curbs even though it was faster. I got in shit from the instructor several times for using curbs and dropping to 2nd in 2 of the corners. When we went out for the instructor demo lap at the end of the day, they were all over 2nd gear and curbs lol.

I had a fun time too. Only slightly annoyed when they wanted me to hold a slower gear instead of down shifting. I got in more trouble in using the chicane curbing.

m10-power
05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
I am instructing this year at the 'experience', very well run event, best I've been involved in by far. The cars are very quick, but handle like big go-karts. Not a bad thing but very different from a street car. certainly cannot 'muscle' them around, smoothness is of utmost importance to going fast.

I'd highly recommend this, but I doubt they will be back next year since Race city will most likely be gone.