PDA

View Full Version : Golf course maintenance needed. Free Golf everyday

Graham_A_M
03-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Hey guys. Shawnee slopes is needing people BADLY for this upcoming season. If you can work Full time; being Monday to Friday 7:30-3:30 (sort of shift), they need you. Its full time work, at a relaxed environment. Most people will be equipment operating, meaning riding/operating mowers all day (VERY relaxing and easy job), with the odd bit of clean up at the start of the season (meaning now). Pay is dependant on experience, call to setup an interview. If your very reliable, and have a fantastic work ethic, you can make decent coin. You'll be outside all day (great during spring & summer) and working in the closest thing to a stress free environment out there.
Golf is free for staff. Its a beautiful 18 hole golf course. After your shift is finished, your entitled to a free game of golf, everyday. (Doesn't include friends, they pay a subsidized rate while with you on those said games).
Positions needed;
-Mower operators: fairway/greens/rough (no experience needed as there is a full tutorial on how to operate the mower, and training if needed)
-Pin cutters
-General help in maintence (jack of all trades basically, all the above at times)

Wages are anywhere from $12/hr up.

Call Keith (Golf course superintendent) at 618-2468

or drop off a resume at the location, located on this page.
http://www.shaw-neeslopes.com/
Stop by the maintenance building, and ask for Keith anytime between 8am-4pm.

Maddog55
03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
God......my dream job!! I wanna quit my business and do this.
ride a lawn mower.....have the tunes on...then play a round of golf at the end of your shift. Could there BE anything nicer??

*sigh*.....

Ajay
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55
ride a lawn mower.....have the tunes on...then play a round of golf at the end of your shift. Could there BE anything nicer??

*sigh*.....

:werd:

I'm with you on that one. If I ever won the lottery I would move to Arizona or Florida and just get a job on a golf course. But alas, real life is what it is!

Graham_A_M
03-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Maddog55

*sigh*.....

yeah its very casual and relaxing. If you want to work on the weekends for extra cash, they'd be happy to talk with you too.

But its damn cool to get paid to do work on a beautiful, well manicured course... and work outside with a bunch of deer sleeping in the shade watching you the whole time. :) A good portion of the course backs onto fishcreek park.
its quite nice. There is a HUGE pond, that seem to attract quite a school of Canadian Geese every year.
Its honestly, an amazing job.... if you can even call it that at times.

1-Bar
03-26-2008, 11:04 PM
not a bad job, I worked 2 summers back in the day at a golf course, the free golf is sooo worth it.....:thumbsup:

ricefarmer
03-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

yeah its very casual and relaxing. If you want to work on the weekends for extra cash, they'd be happy to talk with you too.

But its damn cool to get paid to do work on a beautiful, well manicured course... and work outside with a bunch of deer sleeping in the shade watching you the whole time. :) A good portion of the course backs onto fishcreek park.
its quite nice. There is a HUGE pond, that seem to attract quite a school of Canadian Geese every year.
Its honestly, an amazing job.... if you can even call it that at times.

how seriously do they need weekend people? is it best to call, email, or drop off a resume?

Graham_A_M
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
^ Call to work out the details, then drop off/fax a resume if still interested.

freshprince1
03-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Dang...if I could afford my house, cars and kids on this salary I would be there in a second.

Graham_A_M
03-30-2008, 03:53 PM
bump. Still looking. To anybody serious about this, please...... if you book an interview, show up for it. Its a complete waste of Keiths time when he takes time out of his (very very) busy day to have an interview with someone, and have that person not show up. Put yourself in his position, and you'll see why this is quite frusterating and annoying.

Like I say, hes hiring FT people primarily, but Part timers can apply too.

cosmok
03-30-2008, 04:21 PM
PT weekends?

Graham_A_M
03-30-2008, 10:21 PM
^ yup. Just call. Dont know what the deal with "complimentry golf" is with the weekenders, but I'm sure its available for you, on the Sat and Sun that you may be working.

Wages START at $10, but its more like $12 and up if your a good worker with a good work ethic, and are reliable, meaning you can take responsiblity.
Not too many courses pay this well. Most "assistant managers" only make $13/hr at most courses, such as Priddis. Whereas the "Bunker Foreman" only makes that much.
Any Turf maintenence/landscaping experience will be much appreciated.
:thumbsup:

Lo)2enz0
03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
i did this one year. awsome job. we worked 6 days a week though

reccomended for anyone who wants something relaxing for a summer job

Graham_A_M
04-01-2008, 11:03 PM
^ Even for a banned guy like somebody around here? (jokes)

Keith is still looking. Call if your serious. They start at $12/hr.
Still looking for mower operators etc.

Graham_A_M
04-09-2008, 07:16 PM
also hiring gardeners and many other positions.

yes, their hiring PT as well.

Graham_A_M
04-20-2008, 07:33 PM
bump. Still looking. its dead now with all the snow, but the course should be open in two weekends from now, being May 3rd.
Email Keith at
[email protected]

Graham_A_M
05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I meant to add, that those are interested should send Keith your resume via fax or email, then call him a day later to followup. Just leaving a message without a resume to look over (on his behalf) is already a no-go. :dunno:

just so you know.... for those that have applied I mean.

r0g3r
05-16-2008, 08:32 PM
for mow operators do you just cut grass for 8 hours?

Graham_A_M
05-16-2008, 09:33 PM
^ if you want to. There is no "mow operators" per se' as a job title. If you enjoy cutting grass, then great! you can do that ALL day if you want, or perhaps a portion of the day as (lets say for example) cutting greens doesn't take all day, afterwards you can do something else if you want.
There are many types of "mow operators" you can do.
Cut
-Greens
-Fairways
-Rough (both with a 5 deck and a 72" flat deck mower)
-Near bunkers with a low slung machine designed for such
-Tees & collars.

There is also another (wee little 3-wheeled) machine that rakes out the bunkers.

There are no specific job titles, most people do mostly everything, however if you prefer to do certain things over others, (as in "cut pins").... and if you're good at it....then I'm sure Keith would be happy to oblige.

Anything else, just ask.

Hakkola
05-16-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't golf, but I could use a job for my mornings/afternoons, since my other job is mostly evenings and I only have evening classes, this could be perfect, though the pay sounds a little low for the market, IMO.

Graham_A_M
05-16-2008, 09:54 PM
^ yeah golf courses never pay much to start unfortunately. If you have a "turfology" degree, or any relevant experience, I'm quite sure he'd be open to paying more to start...
I remember browsing the paper and seeing an opening at Priddis for a "bunker foreman" (Good Lord that must be a shitty job.... just working in sand traps all day:nut: ) but the pay was merely $13.25 for that.
Apparently Shawnee Slopes pays quite high incomparison to the other courses.... excluding city owned ones of course. As I think they pay $18/hr to start, however its unionized; as in this instance, it defiantely works againest the employees as when a new position is opened up; instead of promoting one internally, they're promoted externally. Meaning if you want to move up, you have to switch courses, and if there is an opening at THAT course your on, someone else will be hired on from another course unless you've met the neccessary criteria to be promoted into that said posistion.

ekguy
05-26-2008, 10:44 PM
if you still need people I may be interested I did commercial landscaping all last summer and I worked on some pretty intense sites...This would get me outdoors all summer. You have pm. :)

Bigchuckers
05-31-2008, 11:20 PM
i hope that job is still there on monday.. im gonna go apply for it... :drama:

Graham_A_M
06-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I think they have a good amount of people, not too sure if Kieth is still hiring, but worth a call at least. :dunno:

Good luck:thumbsup:

dropdat
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I wish that I was still 16, this job would be heaven for me.

ekguy
06-09-2008, 04:40 PM
i called and left a message twice no call back don't bother they probably have a full staff. Graham thanks for the help though it is appreciated even though i got no call back hehe

:thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
06-10-2008, 04:28 PM
did you drop off your resume or at least fax/email it to him first? he wont call back if you didn't. You may have reached him at bad times, on both occasions

ekguy
06-10-2008, 05:16 PM
never was able to get the right email from anyone. Can I just go to the golf course itself and drop it off??? And if still available do you happen to know what the start time of the shifts would be I am still quite interested.

Graham_A_M
06-10-2008, 06:13 PM
5:45. yeah... a little too early for most. You dont have to be there at the beginning of the shift. Just come by and ask for him.

I'm 90% sure its [email protected] it (BCC) to [email protected] too, as perhaps that will work. If it doesnt, then just send it to me and I'll hand it to him, as I see him fairly often. Email me at [email protected]
I'll print it off and hand it to him personally.