PDA

View Full Version : Luongo leaves team to be with wife

Ajay
03-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Got into a little debate with some friends and co-workers about this. Just wondering what everyone's perspective on it.

I personally think he made the right decision. Family comes first and especially if his wife has had complications throughout the pregnancy. I mean, who wouldn't want to be there for the birth of their first child. At the end of the day hockey is just a game.

What do you think?

98type_r
03-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I think he made the right decision, his family will be around long after he can no longer play this game.

hampstor
03-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Got into a little debate with some friends and co-workers about this. Just wondering what everyone's perspective on it.

I personally think he made the right decision. Family comes first and especially if his wife has had complications throughout the pregnancy. I mean, who wouldn't want to be there for the birth of their first child. At the end of the day hockey is just a game.

What do you think?

I agree with you - I recently changed jobs so I could spend more time with my pregnant wife and soon to be baby.

Choosing family over a career/job shows that he is putting his family's needs over his own personal one - I think more parents need to see it the way he does.

rmk
03-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Class move by him. I love hockey, but at the end of the day, it honestly is just a little game where you put rubber into a net with a stick. :whocares:

Hopefully everything works out.

Senseiz
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Why cant she go to Vancouver?

Ajay
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Glad to see so far you all are in agreement with my viewpoint. Some people I know were all up in arms about how he's deserting his team and him going to be with his wife is his way of saying that the Canucks don't have a chance of making the playoffs.

Him going to be with his wife is his way of him showing family is more important than hockey.

Originally posted by Senseiz
Why cant she go to Vancouver?

From what I understand and from what they said on TSN yesterday is she's had complications with the pregnancy from the start. I guess for the last few months she's barely walked at all because of the pregnancy and the complications she's having. That and the fact that she's from South Florida. Don't think she's too keen in living in rainy cold Vancouver during the winter time.

Senseiz
03-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Ahh.. gotcha.

But yes, Family > Career

D'z Nutz
03-27-2008, 06:48 PM
He opted out of the All-Star game for the same reason. I say good for him. He made the right move to be with his family. It shouldn't be a shock to anyone since it's been been a long time coming. Luongo's been carrying the team since he joined. They're still in a playoff spot and if they fall out of it, it's cause they got used to riding his coat tails. Time for the rest of the team to wake up and do some work.

It's probably better for the team that he be with his wife anyways. I wouldn't imagine his mind to be 100% on the game and that could hurt them.

lexIS300
03-27-2008, 06:54 PM
i dont see the big deal in this he will be back for the next game so i think it was fair for him to go home. if he were gone for the rest of the season then i think it would be a different story.

Maddog55
03-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Fuck that!! we pay your salary...get in net, ya BUM!!! You're making millions a year and you want another couple of days OFF??!!!!!!!!:whipped:

actually I'm all for family first too. I'm just still mad at him for last night's performance.

Hakkola
03-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Class move by him. I love hockey, but at the end of the day, it honestly is just a little game where you put rubber into a net with a stick. :whocares:

Hopefully everything works out.

Umm, no, it's actually a job, that they get paid to do. They might get paid a lot, and enjoy it, but it is a more demanding job than that of most people on these forums.

That said, family comes first, no matter what your career.

Maddog55
03-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

That said, family comes first, no matter what your career.

Yup. I have to be thankful that I have never had a job where a boss would tell me "no you HAVE to work..or you're fired".

Being a skilled tradesman has that one perk. I actually had one foreman try that on me...he said I had to come in on Saturday or I was fired. I just laughed and said...."okay..fire me. Seeya on Monday"

I really feel for those that can't afford to lose their job and have to work on special days. So good on Luongo for being by his wife's side.

rmk
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Maddog is right, as usual.

bigbadboss101
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Right move, but if they miss the playoffs? It it was a playoff game it would be different.

Barlow
03-27-2008, 08:09 PM
luongo has played in too many games anyway.... he needs a break...

this may be good for vancouver if they do make playoffs

88CRX
03-27-2008, 09:11 PM
No question he made the right decision.

Anyone who questions it has major issues.

Family > work/sports

JordanEG6
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
If he stayed to play, thats like staying in the office to work instead of being at home with family. At the end of the day, its only a game and it's only a job, not his life. Good on him.

dennisaur
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM
good for him. i for one, could not imagine myself being anywhere else but by the side of my pregnant wife, specially if she's having complications. family first.:thumbsup:

ZorroAMG
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Is this even a question worth asking?

You'd be retarded to NOT be with your wife...

01RedDX
03-27-2008, 10:30 PM

Kloubek
03-27-2008, 10:35 PM
He made the right decision. Pure and simple. Although he is paid very very well, when it comes down to it, it's still just a game.

As someone else mentioned: If he comes back for the playoffs he will be well rested.

That is... IF Vancouver makes it in. They have to start playing like they deserve it.

TC2002
03-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Regardless of complications or not, I think being there for the birth of your child is one of the most important events of your life, and that he made the right decision. So good for Luongo.

justincalgary
03-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I totally agree with him going back, nothing scarier than something going wrong in the family, hopefully she has an easy delivery.

That said, as a professional athlete being the backbone of your team, he should have kept the condom on until at least August.

Why get pregnant with a due date right at the beginning of the playoffs?

ZorroAMG
03-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah Justin, you were there when he fucked her, right? You KNOW it was all planned right?

:rolleyes:

01RedDX: I LOL'd!

Ajay
03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by justincalgary
I totally agree with him going back, nothing scarier than something going wrong in the family, hopefully she has an easy delivery.

That said, as a professional athlete being the backbone of your team, he should have kept the condom on until at least August.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Yeah Justin, you were there when he fucked her, right? You KNOW it was all planned right?

:rolleyes:

What's funny is Nick Kypreos on Sportsnet said almost the same thing. He asked why he would try to conceive a baby in July/August if he knew the baby would be born around the playoffs. Said Kipper had it right in how he planned the birth of his kid.

Course, Nick Kypreos is the biggest tool on Sportsnet so really what he says has no relevance.

HybridTheory
03-27-2008, 11:35 PM
I think he made the right decision. It's not like he's missing the rest of the season or anything. Family comes first.

rage2
03-27-2008, 11:55 PM
I think I'm the only one that's going to disagree here.

As a professional hockey player, you only work for 8 months of the year. You get 4 months of vacation. Taking extra vacation time when everyone else on the team works their asses off 100% of the time for those 8 months is completely selfish.

Yes family comes first. He should've timed starting a family in the off season, not at the end of the season/start of playoffs. His wife shouldn't have been a bitch either and moved to Vancouver. Taking an extra 2 weeks off when your team needs you most? That's not right.

CRXguy
03-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
His wife shouldn't have been a bitch either and moved to Vancouver.

that's the troof! :drama: :goflames:

JordanEG6
03-28-2008, 12:09 AM

That's basically thinking about your career before your family. Taken back into context in relevance to other careers, its like saying "Oh shit, I have a start-up project meeting in about 10 months...I think I'll get my wife pregnant at a more convenient time just so I can make it"

Given the fact that hes a pro athlete making millions with hockey fans and the team itself depending on him to hold up his team, to him, it's still just a job, like how our careers are to us. At the end of the day you can go home and forget about it.

Aleks
03-28-2008, 06:52 AM
I don't know all the details behind why his wife never moved to Vancouver but seems like more and more hockey wives refuse to live in Canadian cities :dunno:

rage2
03-28-2008, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
I don't know all the details behind why his wife never moved to Vancouver but seems like more and more hockey wives refuses to live in Canadian cities :dunno:
She liked Florida weather. Too cold in Canada, and too far away from her Italian friends in Florida. There's very few Italians in Vancouver.

You know if you married a fucking Hockey player, and spend hockey player money and live a trophy wife life, you'd think you'd be obligated to make some hockey wife sacrafices. It's not like she had no clue what kind of a lifestyle (moving a lot) a hockey player lives during his career.

heavyD
03-28-2008, 07:35 AM

She liked Florida weather. Too cold in Canada, and too far away from her Italian friends in Florida. There's very few Italians in Vancouver.

You know if you married a fucking Hockey player, and spend hockey player money and live a trophy wife life, you'd think you'd be obligated to make some hockey wife sacrafices. It's not like she had no clue what kind of a lifestyle (moving a lot) a hockey player lives during his career.

Really what he and his wife choose to do is their own business. I assume that most of you haven't attempted to have a child but for many couples it can take months of trying and who knows how long they had been trying or the circumstances of how the baby was conceived. Honestly I probably would have shared your view a few years ago as I never had an interest in kids but after going through the experience once and again to this summer I can say that you only get one chance to witness the birth of your child and hockey games will come and go for years.

BTW: To the person that said why she just couldn't go to Vancouver. After a certain time in a pregnancy flying is not reccomended especially if she is having issues so that is probably why she didn't travel to Vancouver. And really why would she as IMO Vancouver is a terribly overrated city.

abyss
03-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Really what he and his wife choose to do is their own business. I assume that most of you haven't attempted to have a child but for many couples it can take months of trying and who knows how long they had been trying or the circumstances of how the baby was conceived. Honestly I probably would have shared your view a few years ago as I never had an interest in kids but after going through the experience once and again to this summer I can say that you only get one chance to witness the birth of your child and hockey games will come and go for years.

BTW: To the person that said why she just couldn't go to Vancouver. After a certain time in a pregnancy flying is not reccomended especially if she is having issues so that is probably why she didn't travel to Vancouver. And really why would she as IMO Vancouver is a terribly overrated city.

:werd: I agree completely. So many people still have the highschool sex-ed mentality of "it only takes ONE time to get pregnant". :rofl: Ignorance is bliss.....

If it were only that easy...we wasted SO much money on condoms and birth control for so many years! :whipped:

Hakkola
03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

As a professional hockey player, you only work for 8 months of the year. You get 4 months of vacation. Taking extra vacation time when everyone else on the team works their asses off 100% of the time for those 8 months is completely selfish.

They might not be playing hockey for 4 months, but that doesn't make it a vacation, they still do a lot of training during the "off" season.

Tik-Tok
03-28-2008, 10:30 AM

He should've timed starting a family in the off season, not at the end of the season/start of playoffs.

Not all pregnancies are planned, and not all pregnancies have an easy conception. My cousin took 3 years to get pregnant. For all we know they could have been trying for quite a while, and it happened when it happened.

Agreement on the bitch wife part though, if she wants to enjoy her husbands earnings, she should move where he moves.

bobby_lu
03-28-2008, 10:56 AM
His wife was in a wheelchair during her pregnancy, why would she move to where he is if hes not there most of the time anyways and not just stay with family where she is?

civicrider
03-28-2008, 11:07 AM
go see the family haha, nothing would make me happier then to see the canucks fall out of the playoffs

ralliart_girl
03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Do you guys even know how stressful a move can be? and how dangerous a complicated pregnancy can be? Maybe he and his wife decided that it wasn't a good time to move, and that it would be best (for the healther of her, and their baby) not to move for the time being.

403Gemini
03-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
Do you guys even know how stressful a move can be? and how dangerous a complicated pregnancy can be? Maybe he and his wife decided that it wasn't a good time to move, and that it would be best (for the healther of her, and their baby) not to move for the time being.

Of course not, its a forum full of clueless guys!

rmk
03-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Fuck the Canucks.

canuckcarguy
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I'm curious to know whether these types of decisions factor on a player's market worth. I don't follow hockey and its contract negotiations closely enough to know the answer, but if you've got a player who's more likely to stay with his family during these types of events, or miss more playing time when situations arise at home, are they less desirable, and are they worth less?

I mean, if Vancouver missed the playoffs, and they attributed it to Luongo's absence, there's a pile of money, sponsorship, and reputation at stake. Does it make him a less valuable asset?

I'm not making a judgment, just kind of wondering out loud.

Personally, I'd be home with the wife. That type of reasoning isn't necessarily good for my career, but divorce is pretty expensive, so it all washes out in the end...

rc2002
03-28-2008, 04:26 PM
As a goalie, he has more obligation than other players on the team. Especially at this crucial point in the season.

These are professional sports players that have a lot of pressure on them to perform - that's why they are paid millions of dollars. Sacrifices are inherent when making that kind of money.

I'd be home with the wife too, but I'm not a professional sports player and my absence at work doesn't carry the same consequences as his absence at this time in the season.

In my opinion, a player that doesn't put the team first should be worth less.

max_boost
03-28-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=233020&hubname=nhl

Roberto Luongo and his wife have had their baby and the all-star netminder is back with the Canucks.

He will be in net against the Minnesota Wild on Friday night in an important game with playoff implications for both clubs.

The baby girl, named Gabriela, was delivered last night and weighed 7 lbs, 6 oz.

The Canucks are sitting in the Western Conference's 8th and final playoff spot with 86 points. They are two points back of the seventh place Colorado Avalanche. The ninth-place Nashville Predators are just two points behind the Canucks, while the Edmonton Oilers are three back.

max_boost
03-28-2008, 04:36 PM
He's back! Don't blame him for going either. Obviously it's a matter that was of extreme importance to him. If it was the 7th game of the Stanley Cup Finals and he was my team's starting goaltender, then I don't know how I feel about it.

ralliart_girl
03-28-2008, 07:25 PM
GAWD! So all you guys think he is bitch whipped because he left his team to go be by his wife's side during a major life changing event??? So would you have the same opinion about him if he had left his team for a death in the family instead?

It comes down to the fact that shiet happens in life that you can't always plan, and family is ALWAYS more important than a job, any job. I'm sure if the NHL was like I'm going to fire you cause of this, he would still go. Doesn't matter that he is one of the more important players on his team...I am sure that his teams understood.

Jlude
03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Fuck the Canucks.
+1

I think he made the right decision.

Even though it's a TEAM effort and everyone has to play. I mean, I'm sure there are other players out there that have played through some pretty rough times.

Look at Favre (I know it's not hockey) but that's dedication... the guy would play even if it was his last day on earth.

Antonito
03-28-2008, 08:36 PM
As far as the not-planned pregnancies part, if I was making millions of dollars and was the most important part of a team and my presence was of vital importance, she'd be on the pill and i'd be double bagging it 9 months before the end of the season.

If it was just a regular birth, I'd say he should have stayed. Its only been in the last few decades that men have been anywhere other than a bar for the birth of their children, it's not like it'd ruin his life to miss it. But with complications, that's another ball of wax

ZorroAMG
03-29-2008, 01:03 PM
You hockey whiners are a bunch of douches for giving any grief about this.

Get your heads out of your asses. It's a game. Period.

Pun intended.