PDA

View Full Version : Gas Octane Booster

Neil4Speed
03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
My dad (like allot of dads) loves Canadian Tire. I guess there was a half price sale on the Motomaster Octane Booster (5 tanks worth in one bottle) - $5 or so. Supposedly it negates the need for higher octane fuel in cars that require premium. My dad tried it out in his 3.5RL with regular gasoline, and sure enough, increased mileage. Not even a slight bit, almost 100km more out of the tank with just a dollar worth of additive, not to mention the savings of using regular over premium.

I have been skeptical about it for a while, and held the belief that premium cars require premium octane, so just use it, its only about an extra $5-7 per tank. Finally he convinced me to give in, and I added the octane booster with my premium - no difference. However, the last time when I fueled up, I added it with Regular gasoline - sure enough a 60km increase in mileage!

I still have a hard time (mentally) putting regular into my car but I found my results pretty impressive, so just wanted to pass it on.

JordanAndrew
03-28-2008, 12:33 AM
This might be a good idea now to save a few dollars here and there, but to me, putting regular gas on a car that requires premium is pretty much asking for a breakdown. This will catch you later on, I wouldn't suggest doing it all the time.

Car manufacturers always reccommend the best/ideal gas for your vehicle for a reason, why risk early deterioration on your car when it's easily avoidable?

Good info on your personal experience none the less, I guess if I drive an older car I wouldn't care so much. I wouldn't risk doing it on my new car though.

Eleanor
03-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Meh I just use tetraethyl lead, if I can't find that, I just use MMT. :D