PDA

View Full Version : Help removing broken license bolt

GingeRRRBeef
03-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Trying to change my license plate and the bloody head of the bolt broken off. Does anyone know how to remove it?

teggypimp95
03-28-2008, 01:31 PM
You could drill it out,
vice grips and turn it.

or a shop might weld something on top so they can turn it out.

rc2002
03-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Chances are, there won't be anything to clamp onto using vice grips. And trying to drill it out may take a while and will probably kill one of your drill bits. You might want to try to use a reverse bit to try to extract it.

Or, depending on your car, you might be able to access the bolt from the other side of the bumper (the inside). Use some pliers/vice grips to spin it.

frozenrice
03-28-2008, 02:54 PM
I have one of these kits :

super out (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis62900.html)

You still need to drill, but only deep enough for one of these bits to be hammered in. Each size requires a specific size drill bit. Once it's hammered in, back it out with a socket wrench. What I like about it is you're less likely to drill out the threads getting the whole thing out. I've found it handy in a lot of situations, especially if you do your own brakes on a Honda where the rotor screws are seized on.

gkb
03-29-2008, 02:40 PM
take a dremel moto tool with a cutting bit on it and slice a cut on the top of the screw so that you can use a flat head screwdriver to take it ouit.

CivicTunr
03-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by gkb
take a dremel moto tool with a cutting bit on it and slice a cut on the top of the screw so that you can use a flat head screwdriver to take it ouit.
this can work.

how i got my broken exhaust stud out, is i drilled it w/ a reverse bit just in case it decided to come out, than i got a tool (forget name) but its like a allen key and than used a wrench to turn it.

works good.

Cooked Rice
03-29-2008, 04:07 PM
I would just drill it out and re-tap it. Just get a cheap tap from Princess Auto if your only going to be using it once or twice. You may have to use a bigger bolt for the newly tapped hole, but oh well.

GingeRRRBeef
04-01-2008, 08:59 PM
alright, i'm gonna try it out

thanks guys