PDA

View Full Version : My Car Problem :(

pattyt
03-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Lets just start off by saying i own a 2001 Infiniti I30t , Its been in the family for about 5 years now, we bought it used, in fantastic condition, and my dad has handed it off to me about a year ago. I've done regular oil changes, tranny fluid has been recently replaced, I dont bag on the car, dont do donuts, or ricer flybys. Sometimes i may give it some gas, but nothing stupid, Its my first car and i dont want to ruin it.

So heres my problem, Ive been recently having alot of issues with problem codes. I had a spark plug problem, but replaced the faulty spark plug. While spark plug codes were coming up, so were P0171, 174s, MAF sensor malfunctions. So i went to work trying to figure some things out, did some research. I cleaned up my MAF sensor, i even unplugged it to see how the car ran, and it seems like its in running order?(unless theres something else). The big factor in all of this, and the one thing that really bothers me is that whenever the car reaches 4500 rpm, it jus cuts out, the power dissapears, and im left there for about 2 -3 seconds , foot pressing on the pedal, not getting any power at all. Then all of a sudden it switches gears and i move on. First i thought, transmission? but its not like i can hear anything in there like its not catching the gears correctly. (its an Automatic). But what the hell else could be causing my power to just dissapear, its like the car goes into neutral:S thats what it feels like :S but like the rpm doesnt rise or anything. It just like the engine freezes in time, trying to figure out wtf to do next.

I was thinking, fuel filter? maybe something to do with not enough fuel coming into the engine? , but the 2001 doesn't really have an interchangable fuel filter, its just a mesh thing thats built into the fuel pump in the fuel tank.

What about Oxy sensors? says theres a lean condition , but would that cause my engine to cut power?

Ive been looking around, i havent had too much time on my hands, but i have researched to try to figure it out, but i cant find a solution that actually makes sense, (unless im just an idiot, im pretty handy with cars, but i dont have alot of first hand knowledge).

So im turning to you guys for any insight, anything that can guide me in some kind of direction. I am a student, so i cant jus go out and buy a new car if any tool wants to say that, but my dad has agreed to help me with repairs if there are necassary ones.

Just ask if u need anymore info about the car, i know pretty much everything about it.

Thanks guys :D

R!zz0
03-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Your problem sounds like a faulty ignition distributor.

rc2002
03-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Your problem sounds like a faulty ignition distributor.

It's a distributorless ignition - there are individual coil packs.

The 2 big problems with that engine (same as the one in the Maxima) that always fail are the MAF and the coil packs. Replace one or the other and I can almost guarantee your problem will go away. Both problems will cost you about $500-$600 in parts.

Any CEL codes coming up? I would bet it's the MAF.

LilDrunkenSmurf
03-31-2008, 07:43 PM
Did you gap your spark plug properly?

pattyt
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
i replaced the faulty coil pack that i had, unless there was more than one, but that OBD code dissapeared now. I never replaced the spark plugs, just the coils.

Maybe my MAF is faulty, as the codes point to a lean condition in the engine. I'll look into it more, it must be in need of replacement, seeing that i cleaned it and nothing changed.