PDA

View Full Version : Learning To Drive Standard, Need A Lil Help Please:)

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 04:34 PM
:confused: Ok so here is my situation:)
I usually drive a nice automatic Intrepid. However it is not running at this moment:(
(as a side note, my car needs the spark plugs changed. The old one came out ok, but the new one won't go in, neither will the old one now. and of course I don't want to force it and strip the threading)
Anyway, hubby has a Dodge Ram. Nice beautiful big truck, straight pipe......etc. She looks great and sounds even better:)
However......she is a standard:( And my experience with standard is very limited. Like to almost nil! (maybe a total of 1/2 hour driving in broken intervals)
Hubby took me out once before he left town and I did ok.
It is the whole two foot thing that is hard, and I am rather confused about how NOT to stall it out when going into 1st.
And then of course there is the whole shifting down, how do I NOT make the tires squeel when doing this????
Feeling VERY stressed and frustrated but have NO CHOICE but to figure this out before Saturday April 5th!
As I have to drive the truck 2 1/2 hours to the airport to pick up hubby.
So basically I have one week to teach myself how to drive this beast of a truck:confused:

RZRSHARP_SVX
03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
find a parking lot of your neighborhood. and work away at it. once you find that sweet spot you wont stall or over rev.

dont look at the tachometer so much as listen to the engines revs. you will be able to tell if its to much or too little. also just ease into the clutch gently and you will tell when it starts to grab. and continue at this slow pace and you should have smooth engagement

hope that helps

ercchry
03-30-2008, 04:53 PM
if you love him you won't drive his truck. Nothing harder on a clutch than someone teaching themselves to drive standard for the first time. But my proven method is watch the tach and slowly let the clutch out till the rpm is around 500 then slowly press the gas as you let the clutch out the rest of the way smoothly. If it has enough torque you may not even need any gas to get it moving

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I do love him very much:)
That is actually why I am learning to drive his truck.
He would like me to come and get him on Saturday in the truck and I thought it would be best if I could get it down a bit better during the week BEFORE having to go pick him up.

He apparently has complete confidence in my abilities.....lol
I however do NOT feel so confident.
Thanks though for your words:)

ercchry
03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
a few other things

Once your on the highway its the same as a auto and for learning forget about down shifting just keep the clutch in and brake normal

funkedelic
03-30-2008, 05:14 PM
just remember, the reason your stalling in first is because you let the clutch out too soon without giving it enough gas.

Not using the gas pedal at all while engaging the clutch in first gear seems to help people clue in more quickly to the friction point of the clutch, the all important point in which most of the engine power goes from idling freely to transferring through the transmission and then to the wheels. This varies from car to car. The friction point can be felt with the car starts moving, and engine RPMs drop usually along with the noise of the engine. This is also the point that many beginners let the clutch out too quickly, resulting in the engine lugging and the car bucking.

Learning to drive on a big trunk may not be the best option. Whoever if you learn how to drive standard on a vehicle that is more difficult than others, you will be laughing when you get to drive another one.

Practice is the key, learn in a parking lot like someone else suggested

Enhance
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Getting into first is obviously the hardest part..

they way i was taught:
rev up to 2000 with the clutch in
slowly let the clutch out, while adjusting the gas foot to maintain 2000 rpm
remember that the speed at which you are releasing the clutch should remain constant, even as the resistance increases when you hit the engage point. Once you condition your left leg to release the clutch smoothly its pretty easy.

Cooked Rice
03-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Learn to let the clutch out slow to get a feel for when it catches and when to add more gas. Without even using the gas, release the clutch as slowly as possible until its all the way out without stalling, do this until you have a feel for where it starts to catch. Then later you know when you can add gas etc and do this quicker. Saying this in my head always helped me : "gas in, clutch out"
The more you let off the clutch, the more you start adding more throttle. But don't romp on the gas, just gentle.

mark4091
03-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Trucks are usually easier, harder to stall. I learned on big trucks before I got my license, then when I started driving my car the lack of torque made me adjust.

dj_rice
03-30-2008, 05:42 PM
Here is a tutorial for you to read

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/71495/how_to_drive_a_stick_shift.html

But if that is too hard for you to understand heres a tutorial made just for you

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/21436/how_to_drive_a_stick_shift_a_guide.html

Palmiros
03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
For a nice video intro to manual driving go here. -----> http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/776_driving-manual-transmission.htm

Canmorite
03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
TONS of youtube videos on this. Search them up.

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Okies........
So what I have gotten so far is this:

1) Practice where there is little to no obstructions to hit:)

2) Figure out where that "sweet spot" is in the clutch when adding the gas.......right?

3) Of course, practice, practice, practice.

4) Listen to the sound of the engine.

I am going to go out and drive a bit in a quiet parking lot tonight, but of course to get to that parking lot I need to drive through town. lol

I also have to try and back it out of where I parked the dang thing.....not thinking about the whole going/finding reverse to get out of the parking stall:|

topmade
03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Practice, practice, practice.

My rule of thumb for new standard drivers.
1) If you're not on the clutch you're on the gas and vice versa
2) Remember where the gears are, don't look at the gears when you shift.
3) Don't be afraid to give her gas so it doesn't stall. Once you get the hang of it, then you can work on smooth and low idle shifting.
4) No amount of tips will help unless you practice, practice, practice..............................

SportEL
03-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Is there a driving school in Calgary that can teach you how to drive standard if you already know automatic?

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much for those links.
The first was great, but the second was even better:)
As you said, more for "people like me":) lol

;)

mark4091
03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
^ I don't think so, it would cost them a lot replacing clutch's.

89s1
03-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I see everyone saying "slowly let the clutch out" Id be careful using the word slowly.

the motion of taking the clutch out should not take more than a couple of seconds. dont sit there letting the clutch out for 5 mississippi's while you hold the engine revs up :banghead:

use your common sense, aas im sure youve been a passenger many many times before in this vehicle. listen for unusual sounds and pay attention for burning smells. that means its time to take a breeak for the day. its easier than you're making it, just relax and you'll be drving it before you know it.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2008, 06:48 PM
The good thing about learning on a truck is that you will have plenty of torque to work with. The bad thing is that it's really easy to spin the rear tires.
If you want to learn how to start from a standstill and not stall, get yourself to a gravel parking lot or road and don't worry about kicking up a few rocks. A little spinning won't hurt anything.

Also, as mentioned before, once you are off the clutch, make sure you are 100% off it. Don't rest your foot on it while driving, it's very easy to have it pressed down without knowing it.

Now go out there and kick some ass!

n1zm0
03-30-2008, 07:14 PM
there are no other people in the army base or whatever to teach you? i'm pretty sure most military vehicles with tires are 5spd aren't they? meaning there are alot of personel there who might be your friends or husbands friends that could teach you?

i'll just say if all goes wrong push the clutch pedal in all the way and use the brake pedal to safely stop(just like your Intrepid) and start all over again,

i don't believe in the one part that someone said up there ^'dont be afraid to give it gas' IMO may lead to an uncontrollable adventure through the parking lot. with someone learnign to drive standard

just think of it as finding the perfect amount pushing the gas pedal as you let go of the clutch pedal, try to find the medium between the two :thumbsup:

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
:) I so completely appreciate all the help and advice given here. I just wanted to make sure I said thank you to all of you!!!

There are, of course probably a great many army personal that could likely show me how to drive standard. However I don't know any of them as we just transferred out here a few months ago.:)

dj_rice
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Ask EK 2.0, I'm sure he'll he happy to teach you personally

EK 2.0
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Ask EK 2.0, I'm sure he'll he happy to teach you personally

nuh uh...nope not gonna happen...

She has a MILITARY husband who drives a Dodge Ram guy...FAWK THAT!!...hahaha...Are you looking for me to get shot??...hahaha...

But back on topic...although I have only scanned these other posts...I have taught 2 little sisters as well as a few of their friends how to drive a manual transmission. Now before anyone makes jokes or asks for pics (dj_rice) you all will get banned haha...

But what has worked for my teaching methods...Find a very slight uphill grade. Steep enough that when the truck is in neutral it will roll backwards SLOWLY...

Now pull the parking brake. Put the truck into first gear. If it's a 4X4 put it into 2WD Mode. Then, put the truck into first, and ease up on the clutch adding equal parts of gas at the same time. As the truck wants to start to move forward release the parking brake and viola you are in motion. I have found from past teaching experiences that having some sort of drag on the vehicle aids in making it easier to find the "friction" point of the clutch.

If I have reposted any information, well I don't care...haha...and I hope this helps...

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
;) Thanks so much EK, I get the impression that I should be somewhat honored that you offered up your advice here:)

I think I know an area I can go to tonight that has a bit of an incline to it, and it is quiet most of the time, so should have little trouble later at night.

I have checked out you tube also and found some videos to be somewhat helpful.
And I think part of my problem may have been that I possibly was in third at one point instead of first.........? possible?

I don't seem to have too much problem getting my gears from second, third, fourth and into 5th too bad. Just first when stopping and going that gets me the worst. But as I am figuring out, I just need to get the feel for the clutch and hopefully that will solve my problem there. grrrr lol

And not to worry EK, the only reason hubby might want to shoot you is if I were to let you drive the truck.....lmao. but sadly true;)

EK 2.0
03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by redneckarmywife

And not to worry EK, the only reason hubby might want to shoot you is if I were to let you drive the truck.....lmao. but sadly true;)

Oh, well in THAT case...

Hi, name is Arif it's great to meet you. Welcome to beyond.ca and if you need ANYTHING on or off this site, please do not hesitate to ask. If you have any questions regarding how we do things here on beyond.ca please allow me to be your PERSONAL tour guide.

Enjoy your stay, and again, if you need anything...just ask...;)

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome!:)
What I do need is a magic wand to make me an awesome driver with this dang standard! lol

eglove
03-30-2008, 08:57 PM
let the clutch out till the truck "shudders" or "shakes" that's your sweet spot.

you have from the clutch in all the way from the floor to that spot to give it gas.

give it about 2000rpm then let your clutch out past that sweet shot.

like ek said a slight hill will help you find that sweet spot. then you will be able to figure out how far to let the clutch out, and how much gas to give the car.

once you figure that out, you will be able to "rock" back and forth.

ExtraSlow
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
And I think part of my problem may have been that I possibly was in third at one point instead of first.........? possible?

If that was actually the case, it would explain the stalling. Practice going through the gears with the truck not moving and the clutch pressed in.

redneckarmywife
03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks so much to every one who offered up their assistance here! I so appreciate it:)
Hope y'all are having an awesome evening!

Looking forward to chatting with y'all real soon;)

oilerfan4lyfe
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM

I hate to admit this but I did it too lol...I still remember because I felt like a complete idiot...I was on Stoney Trail at a stop light and by the time I finally got going I was the only one that got through the light - so I can say from experience that you can take off in 3rd, though I was also on almost level ground which helped...uphill I don't know if you could depending on your car.

The best way I learned is when you're at a stop light to very slowly let the clutch up while your right foot is on the brake...you'll see the RPMs go down and the car will sound like it's going to die...keep the clutch there and when the light turns give the car some gas and let go of the clutch slowly since you'll almost be at the right position with it anyways. That was the worst part for me...I'd keep going backwards off of lights so this helped for me.

Best of luck.

mikemechanic
03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Is it a diesel? There's no way in hell you can stall a new diesel so just let the clutch out and the computer will adjust the idle speed accordingly. This is the best way to learn. Other than that it's all been said.

Mike

Jayson
03-31-2008, 07:45 PM
One thing you should keep in mind, is stay calm... Keep your cool and DON'T PANIC. My first car was standard, and when we went to pick it up i only knew the basics and had tried it once or twice. So it was the first time i had ever driven standard by myself. I remember driving home and i was at a light and i must of stalled it twice, and people were honking and yelling... but i just kept my cool and ignored it and got it on the third try. Once you get into panic mode and try to rush it, that's when you make mistakes and stall.

One time when i used to work at chinook, my friends and I were outside having a smoke, and this chick had stalled her car in the parking lot. She stalled about 3 times, and at which point my friends and i started staring and laughing... She must've stalled 15 times before she squealed away... but her face turned bright red and she just couldn't get it going... Everytime i think back to that i feel bad... but every person i've ever taught how to drive stick, the first thing i tell them is NEVER PANIC and always STAY CALM, or you'll just make one mistake after the other.

Good luck!

DonnieM
03-31-2008, 08:08 PM
It has all been said above, but yah, practice makes perfect! Find a nice quiet place and just do it till its perfect!

arian_ma
03-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Too much thinking can also cause you to get disoriented with your feet I found. Let your intuition take over.