PDA

View Full Version : Buying more bandwidth from Shaw?

Lagerstatten.ca
03-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Everyone,

At my house we use to have two internet connections:

1. Telus ADSL Enhanced
2. Shaw High Speed (Basic)

Shaw was used for downloading stuff really fast when we needed a quick movie fix and Telus was for those huge files that can take their time to download.

We've cancelled the Telus connection last week (Thank God!). Now I'm a pretty heavy internet user. If given the bandwidth I can download 200+ GB a month (damn all those Wii Games!).

Shaw's only called us once when we reached 130GB half way thorugh the month, but haven't since as I regularly monitor the bandwidth that's used.

Since we're down to one connection and Shaw Xtreme and Nitro aren't available in our area, is it possible to pay for more bandwidth a month instead?

Anyone working for Shaw that can chime in on this?

Thanks!

-TT

GoChris
03-30-2008, 05:53 PM
there are routers out there that will handle two internet connections so you could have 2 shaw modems and the router will auto balance/load them.

djayz
03-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
there are routers out there that will handle two internet connections so you could have 2 shaw modems and the router will auto balance/load them.

Don't this that will help the OP since it will still use the same amount of bandwidth regardless of how many modems he has.
Unless he's willing to pay for two shaw internet connections.

Mibz
03-30-2008, 06:24 PM
You'll be fine. I've gotten a ton of e-mails from Shaw telling me my usage was considered "extremely high" for a residential customer and suggesting I switch to a business account. The worst I've seen happen, and this was only once, was that they charged somebody for the extra bandwidth. It wasn't even a huge fee or anything. Something like $12 for going 100GBish over the limit.

GoChris
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by djayz

Don't this that will help the OP since it will still use the same amount of bandwidth regardless of how many modems he has.

lol....of course if im suggesting getting another modem, that should imply another internet connection. that would still be cheaper than a nitro connection.

Lagerstatten.ca
03-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't mind paying for the extra bandwidth like what Mibz said, I just want to know if it's possible to get Shaw to add that to my current plan. Since the basic high speed allots you 60GB of bandwidth, can they add another $12.00 a month and give me an extra 100 GB a month.

100 GB of movies for $12.00 is way cheaper than watching them at the theater or renting :)

I just don't want them to disconnect me half way through downloading or doing work from home because I was over my monthly limit. I'd rather just pay for the extra bandwidth.

Guess my best bet is to just call Shaw and find out, unless someone can chime in with real info.

Thanks!

88jbody
03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
I don't mind paying for the extra bandwidth like what Mibz said, I just want to know if it's possible to get Shaw to add that to my current plan. Since the basic high speed allots you 60GB of bandwidth, can they add another $12.00 a month and give me an extra 100 GB a month.

100 GB of movies for $12.00 is way cheaper than watching them at the theater or renting :)

I just don't want them to disconnect me half way through downloading or doing work from home because I was over my monthly limit. I'd rather just pay for the extra bandwidth.

Guess my best bet is to just call Shaw and find out, unless someone can chime in with real info.

Thanks!

just steel the neighbours wireless for work, and use yours for movies ;)

Pihsiak
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
If you can't have X-treme and Nitro in your area that is going to be a problem (they have like 100 and 150 gig traffic)

the High Speed only limits you to 60 gigs traffic a month.

Shaw does cap your transfer once you hit the limit.
Telus charges you by the gig after you hit their limit but they never tell you when you've hit the limit....

I started with Shaw like 2 weeks ago and can go into and ask tomorrow if you want...

but from what i know, i don't think you can buy extra traffic.
PM me your area and let me see what is available for your area

anhsicun
03-30-2008, 07:38 PM
i don't know i been with shaw before i got suspend two times for going over limit after warnings. they just cut off your internet, now with telus i download non stop never got charge for more. also some reason with shaw i can't d/l off torrent so im stuck with telus.

Lagerstatten.ca
03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I know what you mean with Telus Anhsicum, I signed up over a year ago with them right before they implemented the whole charging for extra bandwidth thing. They can't apply that to existing customers so that's why we're still able to download as much as we want.

But Telus is soooo slow compared to Shaw. My torrents on average for the past year has been:

Telus: 170 KBps
Shaw: 500-700 KBps

For the same price Shaw just pwns Telus. I've never experienced any slowdowns either during so called peak times too...so I'm really impressed with the quality of service from Shaw.

Telus is good as well, but only if I was the typical user that checked email, surfed casually and that was it. But I like to download just like everyone else.

PM'd you Pihsiak with my info. Thanks!

Hakkola
03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by djayz

Any way around this? WHen you have shaw hi-speed they give you two ip addresses.

boredengineer
03-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Any way around this? WHen you have shaw hi-speed they give you two ip addresses.

Nope. Both IP's get routed through the same headend which will track your usage. There is no escaping the shaw overlords ;) Just bite the bullet and upgrade for faster speeds + higher bandwith caps :thumbsup:

Hakkola
03-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

Nope. Both IP's get routed through the same headend which will track your usage. There is no escaping the shaw overlords ;) Just bite the bullet and upgrade for faster speeds + higher bandwith caps :thumbsup:

I'm happy with my speeds, just curious because I work for a company contracted by shaw to sell their services.

Lagerstatten.ca
03-31-2008, 03:55 PM
Just got off the phone with a very informative and friendly Shaw Tech and CSR. Both stated that it's not possible to purchase extra bandwidth on any of the Shaw High Speed packages. The only way to get more bandwidth is to purchase a faster service.

I guess it makes sense in a way. The price difference between Shaw High Speed and Extreme is only $10 bucks and you get twice the download speed and almost double the monthly data bandwidth (100GB compared to 60GB).

Hope this helps anyone else that was wondering about this.

-Thinh