PDA

View Full Version : LF: Summer O & G job

schurchill39
03-31-2008, 12:40 AM
In under a month I will be done my first year of engineering at the U of S and I am looking for ideas or companies to apply for for a summer job in the oil and gas industry. I was originally looking into summer student jobs until I realised you did shit work and made shitty money. My main objectiveis to make money as I need to pay for all of my schooling this next year and would like to minimize student loans, and to learn more about the industry and how it all works.

I have my class 1 licence as well as almost any ticket I would need to work O & G including H2S, first aid, ground distrubance, WHIMIS, TDG etc... I also have 2 years of experience mainly as a hydro-vac operator but I also did some water hauling and a little bit of Vac trucking (although not on a rig, it was mainly cleaning blow back tanks). The only set back is that I am young (only 19) but I have a hell of a work ethic.

I would like to give frac-ing a shot and have already talked with Halliburton, but have also heard that swabbing is a pretty good paying job to. I'd like something where I could at least sleep in my own bed a few nights and be on some sort of schedual as my last job was work whenever the phone rang (which at times was a month stright of work then it was 2 days off with 1 day of work.. repeat).

I am looking for ideas of jobs to apply for and possibly ideas of companies that might be looking once break up is over.

I live in Medicine Hat so something based out of there would work the best. I am able to start work April 24th...

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

97'Scort
03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Give Schlumberger a call too. Better company to work for than Halliburton. Your safety tickets also mean just about dick, as most of these places will require you to re-certify. On their dime, though.

Encana was hiring some operators as well. $18/hr to start, not bad.

Euro_Trash
03-31-2008, 10:19 AM
Where in the oil and gas industry do you want your engineering degree to take you (production, reservoir, drilling, completions, facilities, etc)?

adamc
03-31-2008, 12:05 PM
MWD for SLB.
Close to "sleeping in your own bed" as you can get.

schurchill39
03-31-2008, 05:18 PM
I will look into Schlumberger as well I dont know why I didnt think of them before.

As for where I want my engineering degree to take me I am not entirely sure yet. I havent really seen every aspect of the O & G industry to make a fair asessment. I am currently trying to get into chem eng as my first choice and the new environemental engineering at the U of S as my second choice.

Why would I need to retake my tickets if I get hired on with a new company? I understand WHIMIS or TDG as these could be different for every company but my H2S and First aid and the others arent set to expire till late 2009, plus if I am only working 4 months would they really want to sink $400+ in recertifying me for the shit I already have?

As for the operators position at Encana would I not need my operators courses?

adamc and 97'Scort you have PM

Ntense_SpecV
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Why would I need to retake my tickets if I get hired on with a new company? I understand WHIMIS or TDG as these could be different for every company but my H2S and First aid and the others arent set to expire till late 2009, plus if I am only working 4 months would they really want to sink $400+ in recertifying me for the shit I already have?

The only reason why you may need to retake your safety training is if it's not part of Enform. It seems that safety tickets associated with SAIT, NAIT or other schools/university don't fall in line with Enform's policies. I had to retake IRP-16 which is basically CSTS...and I had to get my H2S as well because what I had was not part of Enform and they are the governing body in Alberta (my understanding).

Supa Dexta
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Give Schlumberger a call too. Better company to work for than Halliburton.

In what ways?

schurchill39
04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh alright, my CSTS and H2S are all enform. Does any one have any contact infor for some one at encana? I called them the other day and the lady refused to transferme to anyone. Instead she just bitched at me and told me to look on the internet and she wasnt going to do anything for me

Rat Fink
04-04-2008, 10:57 AM

schurchill39
04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks I tottally forgot about wireline. I will look into that, I have a few contacts with some companies. I don't have to worry about the class three though... I already have my class 1 and all my tickets.

What about field operators? Does any one know of companies looking?

johnboy27
04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Sanjel in Med hat is hiring right now. They would likely start you out driving a sand truck ( salary would be 2750 a month + bonus's). Right now Century frac would be your best bet in the hat but they will not likley be hiring at this time.

USED1
04-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Good luck finding a field op position. Those interviews are conducted early on in the year and all of the assignments have been made.

I can't see you getting on at any major O&G companies this late in the game.

schurchill39
04-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Yea I knew I wouldn't be getting a field operator position but it never hurts to ask. Someone could of decided not to take the position over the winter. I figured it was worth a shot.

I have been talking with a few big services companies though, so I know I have a job this summer but until school is all done I will keep looking just incase there is something better

accord885
04-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
If you applied now, I doubt you will get into schlumberger by the start of summer. You'll be getting in halfway through summer. Even then, probably wont' get hired because it will only be for 4 months at the most.

Cased hole wireline is slowing down in Med Hat. Some of my wireline buddies in the Hat are laid off. You can try looking into it anyways.....Tucker, Advance, Ultraline, Precision (weatherford) are all around the Hat. Wireline has such a high turnover they might not give a shit about someone only coming in for 4 months.

...might be able to get your class 3 license on their bill too. I didn't have my class 3 when I got into it and they supplied the truck for my test. I just had to pay the 150 bucks or whatever for airbrakes course, and the test.

Ultraline starts out around 2400/mo salary with a percentage of the ticket as well (1.5 or 2%, I can't remember exactly).

I think Tucker is around 3000/mo for the drivers, plus a percentage of the field ticket. They have a minimum 100 dollars/job field bonus too so you won't get those shitass jobs where you drive to the site and do some discounted job for 30 dollars bonus.

I work for tucker... we just laidoff about half our staff for the summer.... no hiring here till the late summer or fall...

Rat Fink
04-10-2008, 01:22 PM

8Ball
04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
In under a month I will be done my first year of engineering at the U of S and I am looking for ideas or companies to apply for for a summer job in the oil and gas industry. I was originally looking into summer student jobs until I realised you did shit work and made shitty money. My main objectiveis to make money as I need to pay for all of my schooling this next year and would like to minimize student loans, and to learn more about the industry and how it all works.

Thanks

shit pay? the new coops are getting close to $25/hr and nobody expects them to be more skilled than a high schooler!

schurchill39
04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
Co-op program maybe @ 25$/hr... Every entry level "summer student" job I have seen so far for the 4 month period is $14-$18/hr and it involves crappy work like weeding gas plants, walking pipeling with a gas monitor or filing papers.

I dont know, in my mind why would I want to drive a mower when I can drive a tractor trailer and to more interesting/dynamic work for better pay? I also missed the ball on lots of the summer student jobs anyways so I am looking for service work.

Euro_Trash
04-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Girlfriends "entry level summer student job" (field op) is paying her 24 (doing the same thing I did 2 years ago for 21 bucks)

94boosted
04-10-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 8Ball

shit pay? the new coops are getting close to $25/hr and nobody expects them to be more skilled than a high schooler!

I'm going into my 3rd year Bachelor of Applied Petroleum Engineering at SAIT next year and in the 4th year I'll be looking for an 800hour CO-OP job. What companies pay $25/hr just curious :confused:

Euro_Trash
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I know most third and fourth year Petroleum co-op's at U of A are making around 25, not sure what an applied Petroleum would be making though

johnboy27
04-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Co-op program maybe @ 25$/hr... Every entry level "summer student" job I have seen so far for the 4 month period is $14-$18/hr and it involves crappy work like weeding gas plants, walking pipeling with a gas monitor or filing papers.

I dont know, in my mind why would I want to drive a mower when I can drive a tractor trailer and to more interesting/dynamic work for better pay? I also missed the ball on lots of the summer student jobs anyways so I am looking for service work.
Like I said above,Sanjel in the hat is hiring right now. If you have half a brain you already have most everybody that works there beat,you will move up before you leave to go back to school. Since you already have your class 1 ,you are a shoe in. They will hire you. They have a big project going on in Sask that will keep them busy for all the spring and the better part of the summer.

Canmorite
04-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Girlfriends "entry level summer student job" (field op) is paying her 24 (doing the same thing I did 2 years ago for 21 bucks)

Which is?

schurchill39
04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I faxed in a few resumes today including Sanjel and talked to a company called Cerpro that wants me to run a Hydro-Vac for them, I am not to sure about that though as I wanted to try something new. Lets hope I can get on fracing or coil tubing

Johnboy27 you have PM

schurchill39
04-30-2008, 03:53 PM
Well I keep getting the "We cant hire for a 4 month period... try a student job" So much for trying to gain practical work experience

johnboy27
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Well I keep getting the "We cant hire for a 4 month period... try a student job" So much for trying to gain practical work experience
From Sanjel? That's wierd because we just hired a few new guys last week.

schurchill39
04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
No I havent heard anything fron Sanjel yet. Just dropped off my resume and drivers abstract monday so I might drop by thursday or friday to see if they have had a chance to look at it.

This 4 month thing was from Schlumberger and Halliburton and some other smaller service company

johnboy27
04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
No I havent heard anything fron Sanjel yet. Just dropped off my resume and drivers abstract monday so I might drop by thursday or friday to see if they have had a chance to look at it.

This 4 month thing was from Schlumberger and Halliburton and some other smaller service company
Ah, OK. I know that BJ sent a pile of guys on vacation here in Red Deer and some of the other service companies are pretty slow right now. We actually have some work going on in the Estevan area right now as well as some in Alix and Edson. I know Trican and Calfrac are still going pretty good too.

schurchill39
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Waiting to hear from Trican right now. Their head office in calgary called my references up then I talked to the HR lady and she said working for 4 months isnt an issue as they have 4 or 5 people doing that. She mentioned they have scholarships availible for people doing schooling as well so that was a bonus. She told me I was supposed to get a phone call from the guy here in the hat but I havent heard anything for 2 days now!

I am starting to go stir crazy sitting around home all day for the past two weeks. I am under the impression that Trican wants me just based off of what the Calgary Head office had to say but I wish they would hurry up and let me know either way, that way I can go to these other smaller companies that have offered me jobs swabbing or something like that! I just wanna work and they are taking their sweet ass time letting me know!

schurchill39
05-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Great day! Got hired on with Trican! I passed a drivers evaluation today, now I just have to pass the medical and drug test and I am officially an employee!

If this summer goes well then there is the possibility (and expectation) that I will be returning next summer. When I am ready to do a co-op program they said they would help me get into their calgary office!