PDA

View Full Version : New mr2 Owner..sticky gearbox

sonnyg403
03-31-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey guys i just purchased my first mr2 today. 90 GT from jdmsource. New to the whole community forsure and looking for some advice and tips. My gearbox, clutch, is really sticky, sometimes impossible to down shift. It takes alot of force to put it into gear sometimes. When i first test drove the car is was horrible, but they said it had been sitting for a while and it has to tendency to do that. And they seem to be somewhat right becasue it has become less sticky and smoother shifting. Its still not the best so im just looking at any advice or things i can do. Thanks

Ek9Max
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Replace teh tranny fluid with some Redlyne Manual tranny fluid.

bmeier
03-31-2008, 09:55 PM
change fluid, check shift cables, does it have a short throw shifter? also where the shift cables meet the transmission there is a small metal cube that wears down and can cause bad shifting, turn the cube 90 degrees and it could make things smoother.

Redlyne_jr
03-31-2008, 10:09 PM
for the most part it is nothing... same with my car... you have to think that these things have been sitting for years... not months... give it a week and it will be good... but ya do a full fluid change...

Any pics of the car?

is this the black one?

Hawk01
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
ya i'm curious to see this mr2 of yours...no rolla this time heh. It is the black one right?

Redlyne_jr
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
is this the bad boy?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/jdmsource1/IMG_2002.jpg http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t96/jdmsource1/IMG_2008.jpg

sonnyg403
03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
yeah thats the one! I'm going to be doing a mini tune up of my own soon, so ill do all the fluids. Glad to here it's nothing to serious.(hopefully)

Jlude
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
nice car :thumbsup:

avow
04-01-2008, 01:32 PM
great car, yea give it some time, if the problem doesnt go away change the fluid (also recommend the redline mt-90) and we will go from there :)

Redlyne_jr
04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Ya sweet car man look like a sweet ride.. even though all of shoaibs cars are super clean...

J@Tuner
04-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Wow she looks clean. How many km on her?

FYI, we have Redline MT-90 in stock if you are in need :)

sonnyg403
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
thanks guys. So today i picked up 2 quarts of redline..but i think i read somewhere you need 4. So i'll have to get some more tomorrow. But im not sure its going to help much..its mainly a really sticky gearbox. Nearly impossible to downshift unless i use a huge ammount of force just to get it in.. It doesn't grind or anything. I just hate doing it because it feels like ill snap the cable. I took the boot off and it was so dirty..so i cleaned it thebest i could but that didnt help..any suggestions?

bmeier
04-01-2008, 11:11 PM
try shifting with the engine off. Does the shifting improve when the engine is not running? check your engine mounts for slop as well.

Does it have a short shifter by any chance?

Redlyne_jr
04-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by sonnyg403
thanks guys. So today i picked up 2 quarts of redline..but i think i read somewhere you need 4. So i'll have to get some more tomorrow. But im not sure its going to help much..its mainly a really sticky gearbox. Nearly impossible to downshift unless i use a huge ammount of force just to get it in.. It doesn't grind or anything. I just hate doing it because it feels like ill snap the cable. I took the boot off and it was so dirty..so i cleaned it thebest i could but that didnt help..any suggestions?

maybe you have a short shift kit that would add to why it is so hard to shift + the car has een sitting for years.... but seriously the gearbox on my car was stiff for atleast a week and the suspension omfg squeaked and was so stiff then it all went away...

sonnyg403
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by bmeier
try shifting with the engine off. Does the shifting improve when the engine is not running? check your engine mounts for slop as well.

Does it have a short shifter by any chance?
not sure if it has a short shifter..feels kinda short but everything in an mr2 just feels quicker and shorter lol.
when the engine is off its harder to shift

Redlyne_jr
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
give it a week or two:thumbsup:

bmeier
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
i would bleed the hydraulic fluid, just to elimate that possibillity and for maintenance.

Redlyne_jr
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
i would bleed the hydraulic fluid, just to elimate that possibillity and for maintenance.

werd

sonnyg403
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
hmm..im guessing that will take a bleeder? well i'll try some stuff first and if nothing helps. I'll start bleeding....everywhere lol

SI_futbol
04-02-2008, 11:32 PM
u'll notice the difference wit redlyne, mine was grinding and hard to put into second and fourth like every mr2, and it was fine after that shit