PDA

View Full Version : Forms required toregister imported car?

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Would anyone happen to know how one would register an imported car?? Maybe even the steps in chronological order?

I know an OOP needs to be done and I need Form 1 from transport Canada. Would there be anything else that i need?

Is it also true that Canadian Tire is the only place that does OOP?

pf0sh0
03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
I know Canadian Tire isnt the only place that does OOP, alot of mechanic shops can do OOP's for a price as well.

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Really? Idk...lol i was just reading up on RIV and they only mentioned Canadian Tire.

pf0sh0
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Really? probably cause it's the only "big store" lol.

I thought that guy was doing it for you?

badatusrnames
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
The Canadian tire inspection is the Federal one for bringing in cars from the states. Only Canadian tire can do this one.

It depends if you are bringing in a 15 year car or a US car... so elaborate.

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:29 PM
LOL the damn fucker didnt give me the import papers i guess. He said he probably forgot to get it updated at the registry when he got it done?

I have to head back there tomorrow so i can get the OOP done, but ill ask for the import forms first. Without those he can probably fuck me over? hahaha

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Its JDM yo! :D

pf0sh0
03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
The Canadian tire inspection is the Federal one for bringing in cars from the states. Only Canadian tire can do this one.

It depends if you are bringing in a 15 year car or a US car... so elaborate.

It's a 15 yr old car.

badatusrnames
03-31-2008, 11:32 PM
In that case you don't need to bother with Crappy Tire, you just need to find someone who can perform an out of province inspection for you, I think Alberta Motor Vehicles has a list on their website...

What did you get?

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
Really? probably cause it's the only "big store" lol.

I thought that guy was doing it for you?

He is, but remember how we got him to write "oop has been completed" on the BOS, if i get the OOP done with him, and he doesn't have the Import Forms wouldnt i be fucked? At least if i ask for it first and he doesnt have it i can probably return the car? :confused:

badatusrnames
03-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Did he submit the OOP to Alberta Motor Vehicles for you then?? I'm guessing that's what happened if he said it's done and didn't give the form directly to you.

If so, they process it and when it checks out, the VIN is entered into the system as an active Alberta car... Maybe get a registry office to check for your VIN?

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Its the MR2, lol. Ive just been driving it around using the 14-day grace period hahaha, but when i finally went to go get it registered they said OOP needs to be done. They also said something about gettting Form 1 after the OOP and giving it to me for an inspection?? Idk, i don't think the lady who told me knew a lot about the exact process.

Joe-G
03-31-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Did he submit the OOP to Alberta Motor Vehicles for you then?? I'm guessing that's what happened if he said it's done and didn't give the form directly to you.

If so, they process it and when it checks out, the VIN is entered into the system as an active Alberta car... Maybe get a registry office to check for your VIN?

Ive already gone and they said it wasn't updated in the system. I guess he never did get the OOP done, or he forgot to submit the papers. He didn't give me any papers either gahh:(

dannie
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Ok.... Heres what you need:

The registry needs the Form 1 from cusoms. It MUST be filled out with the exemption part filled in if you are exempt from the Out of Country Inspection.

The registry will need your Bill of Sale and Insurance.

They will need the Export form (If it is a Japanese car. US car doesnt need).

They will need the Out of Province Inspection done. (To get the OOP, you will have to get a request for inspection from the registry. You will need the Form 1 and Export paper if its Japanese) It can be done at any mechanic who is authorized to do out of provinces. RIV mentions Canadian Tire because they have the contract to do the Out of Country Inspections.