PDA

View Full Version : Banff Trail Park n Ride Window Smasher

nobb
04-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I usually park at the Banff Trail park and ride, but today I saw a whole row of cars with their windows smashed in so I parked on campus instead.

Anyone know what happened? Did they just smash windows for fun, or were they stealing car stereos? Im kind of worried because if it wasnt for the fact that I slept in, I would have parked my car in the exact spot where the cars got their windows smashed in.

Hawk01
04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
i had this happen in my community a while back, from what i can tell it was probably a random act of vandilism :thumbsdow

kvanderlaag
04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
It's not vandalism, it's guerilla art!

Ferio_vti
04-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Sounds like vandals. Like that time when all those cars had their tires slashed in the NE.

I remember a few years back, on Memorial Drive, between 14st and 10st NW, all the mirrors on the cars parked on the street were all smashed up. Probably some jerk off punks with nothing better to do.

Canmorite
04-01-2008, 11:32 AM
+1 for video cameras in Park & Rides.

kvanderlaag
04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
+1 for video cameras in Park & Rides.

+10 for sure

Biga Ramrod
04-01-2008, 01:50 PM
10+ for me too. I had my Jeep TJ window smashed and my stereo stollen last year at McMahon Stadium (train). I have to say that it does suck.

2002civic
04-01-2008, 02:26 PM
+100 or even a security officer that checks a little more often to discourage punks

HybridTheory
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I know this is going slightly off topic..but they were mentioning this on the news a few weeks back. Would you be in favor or opposed to paying an extra dollar or two for added security measures at the Park N Ride?

badatusrnames
04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
^^ I would, it's a nominal fee in comparison to paid parking elsewhere and a small price to pay to ensure your vehicle doesn't suffer hundreds in damage.

Also, it would probably encourage more people to get dropped off or take the bus to the train station, freeing up more spots.

403Gemini
04-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
I know this is going slightly off topic..but they were mentioning this on the news a few weeks back. Would you be in favor or opposed to paying an extra dollar or two for added security measures at the Park N Ride?

Im surprised with the price hike of $20 a day last year to $30 a day this year downtown, added security wasn't included... sorta drives me nuts. Im paying more for nothing new

rc2002
04-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Anyone expecting free security cameras to pop up at park and ride lots needs to wake up. Where is the extra money going to come from? The city doesn't even have the money to fill pot holes.

People who park at c-train lots to avoid parking rates at the University don't have a right to complain. They shouldn't be parking there in the first place. And the people who actually do take transit park all day for free and only pay half the cost of ridership anyway. They're basically getting paid to park and ride - and then they complain about vandalism and break-ins. That's just a risk of parking there in the first place.

403Gemini
04-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Anyone expecting free security cameras to pop up at park and ride lots needs to wake up. Where is the extra money going to come from? The city doesn't even have the money to fill pot holes.

People who park at c-train lots to avoid parking rates at the University don't have a right to complain. They shouldn't be parking there in the first place. And the people who actually do take transit park all day for free and only pay half the cost of ridership anyway. They're basically getting paid to park and ride - and then they complain about vandalism and break-ins. That's just a risk of parking there in the first place.

This a goofy argument. Whats the difference if i park at the mall and dont buy shit all. technically they arent getting any of my business, whereas city transit is getting $75 a month from me... yet the mall has security that at the very least patrols around.

nobb
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I think university students have just as much right to park at the park n ride as everyone else. After all, it is public. From what Ive read on this forum, campus parking doesnt seem that much safer either. The university is run by greedy bastards and I rather not give them my money. They do stupid things like jack up parking prices and cheaping out on credit card payments for tuition. Besides...I also pay for the stupid UPass.

A while back I remember the news saying they were experimenting with cameras in NE park n ride, but no word on whether they are doing the same at the other park n rides.

For those of you who had your stereo stolen...did you not remove your faceplates? I am thinking about maybe creating a fake faceplate for mine...

rc2002
04-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

This a goofy argument. Whats the difference if i park at the mall and dont buy shit all. technically they arent getting any of my business, whereas city transit is getting $75 a month from me... yet the mall has security that at the very least patrols around.

You're right, it's just as easy to abuse free parking provided at malls. The malls provide parking and security as a cost of doing business even if the customers don't buy anything. But the malls are actually net profits whereas Calgary transit doesn't.

Originally posted by nobb
I think university students have just as much right to park at the park n ride as everyone else. After all, it is public. From what Ive read on this forum, campus parking doesnt seem that much safer either. The university is run by greedy bastards and I rather not give them my money. They do stupid things like jack up parking prices and cheaping out on credit card payments for tuition. Besides...I also pay for the stupid UPass.

A while back I remember the news saying they were experimenting with cameras in NE park n ride, but no word on whether they are doing the same at the other park n rides.

For those of you who had your stereo stolen...did you not remove your faceplates? I am thinking about maybe creating a fake faceplate for mine...

The university has lots set aside so that students don't fill up the spots of actual park and ride users. It's the same argument as parking in the Brentwood shopping center and walking to campus. You're taking the spots of potential customers and you risk getting your car ticketed and towed. I'm not sure if they still do this but they used to follow you from the parking lot to see if you were actually a University student.

I can't stand the University's money management, or the stupid mandatory Upass, or the whole credit card issue (I still pay tuition by credit card). But parking inflation has happened across the entire city because of the increased demand.

BrknFngrs
04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
People who park at c-train lots to avoid parking rates at the University don't have a right to complain. They shouldn't be parking there in the first place.

You're referring strictly to students who drop their car off at a park-and-ride location such as Brentwood and walk to the university, correct? As opposed to students who park their vehicle at the closest park-and-ride to their home and then take the train to the university.

If thats the case then I agree that park-and-ride should only be used by transit users, but if you're referring to students as a whole who rely on transit to get to school (which they pay for) then I'm not sure your point makes sense.