PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about paying for accident out of my pocket

fantic
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
A few weeks ago I hit another car (my fault). The driver said it was OK, we exchanged information and we agreed that I could pay the cost to repair the cost the bumper. There was a scratch that was 1/16th of on inch on my bumper which could be easily covered up with touch up paint whenever I feel like doing this. So all the damage is to the other car.

I've been forthright with the driver to get an appointment arranged for an estimate at a bodyshop. I would call and leave a voicemail at least once a week asking to get called back, but the driver seemed to be taking time to return my calls, etc. (seemed not in a big hurry).

So, I get a call this morning and they send me the estimate to get the bumper fixed--it is around $1200. Problem is, is that it is over $1000 and no body shop will fix it without a police sticker.

I'm worried that police might issue tickets for "failure to report accident within a forthright period", and I haven't contacted insurance (I figured that paying for the damage myself would keep my rates lower).

So, after the police issue a sticker for the other driver's car--I assume that this will go on my record and the insurance will go up. Does the police determine who is at fault (which is me, in all honesty) and put something on my record? This occurred quite a while back.

Anyway, it's a lesson learned, but this is my first accident and I'm feeling not very good--like foreboding terror that is about to occur to me (nervous about filing the accident with the police, insurance, etc).

benyl
04-01-2008, 12:55 PM
talk to your insurance broker. Not the insurance company.

rc2002
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Just explain the circumstances. Besides $1200 is close enough to $1000 that it's a non issue. Not everyone can appraise accident damage exactly.

Ferio_vti
04-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Then just go report it to the police. Both you and the other party just go together to a police station and tell them you both guessed it would be under $1k. But since the body shop quoted more, now you need that sticker.

Failure to report would occur if the other party filed a report, but you didn't bother.

And as far as 'going on your record,' what would go on your record?

Did the other party try shopping around for other shops?? Maybe you can make a deal with the shop and ask them to knock $200 off if you offer them a cash deal.

turbo4dr
04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
you are fine ..... Just report it if you have too.... Your Insurance will not go up unless you file a claim :thumbsup: plus I am sure if you take it to another body shop they may fix it for cheaper:D

Hash_man
04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
You'll be fine if you go to the cops now and file the accident report. I have been in a similar situation before, but I was the one with the damage to my car, the cops don't care because if the damage is so close it's a common slip up.

Ferio_vti
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by turbo4dr
you are fine ..... Just report it if you have too.... Your Insurance will not go up unless you file a claim :thumbsup: plus I am sure if you take it to another body shop they may fix it for cheaper:D

*cough* Screamin' Paintworks *cough*

The_1
04-01-2008, 02:56 PM
is the car you hit a newer car?
if not then just offer him 1000.... if you do this make sure you get everything in writing

fantic
04-03-2008, 05:36 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. The driver's car was taken to 3 shops and the lowest priced one was $1200. My car is the newer car, but is smaller. I think the reason why the damage is negligible on mine is that I hit at just the right angle at spot where there is rebar under my bumper.

But the story is getting a bit weird now...

The driver calls me yesterday and says to meet in front of the police station. So I get there about 5 minutes early, and then I wait for about 35 minutes.

I then get a call on my cell, and the driver says they're not ready to file an accident report because of an unpaid traffic ticket that might get looked up when the accident is filed.

I'm not certain what are their circumstances, but I also don't want to let this drag on too long.

Someone briefly mentioned Paintworks, are they worth a try?

JordanAndrew
04-03-2008, 05:44 AM
I've dealth with screaming paintworks for all my car bodyshop needs, I would go with them. They have competitive prices as well, chances are they will fix it for cheaper and it will turn out way better than other bodyshops in the city.

Ferio_vti
04-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by fantic

I then get a call on my cell, and the driver says they're not ready to file an accident report because of an unpaid traffic ticket that might get looked up when the accident is filed.

Well that's stupid. What's a traffic ticket got to do with filing an accident?? Not like the police can make him pay at the station. Why don't you just go file it by yourself and tell him to do it on his own time ASAP if he wants to get his car fixed. Then you've done your job. If he doesn't file his part in time and has trouble getting the police sticker then it's he own damn fault.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2008, 07:17 AM
If this Jackass you hit can't get his act together it's not your problem. Tell them you either need to file the police report tomorrow, or offer him $1000 cash. He probably isn't even going to get it fixed, so a thousand bucks is a great deal for him, plus you save two hundred. it's a win-win.
Just get him to sign a quick note saying that you are giving him $1000 as full compensation for damages done to his car. It doesn't have to be a full lawyer-length waiver, but I'd like his signature on something.

Ferio_vti
04-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
If this Jackass you hit can't get his act together it's not your problem. Tell them you either need to file the police report tomorrow, or offer him $1000 cash. He probably isn't even going to get it fixed, so a thousand bucks is a great deal for him, plus you save two hundred. it's a win-win.
Just get him to sign a quick note saying that you are giving him $1000 as full compensation for damages done to his car. It doesn't have to be a full lawyer-length waiver, but I'd like his signature on something.

I was gonna suggest the same thing, but why bother paying up right away??

Cword
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
It's the other guys job to select the shop and put the car in for repair. This makes the damage sticker his problem.
If you want to get out of the situation more quickly give him a choice.
Offer him $1000 or offer to pay the shop that does the work. If he chooses the $1000 you're done.
Your insurance broker can also provide you with the paper work for him to sign that says the claim against you is settled, so that he can't harrass you for more later, after he's developed enough guts to deal with his outstanding ticket.

chadnixon
04-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I recently paid for a accident from my own pocket. The cost was just over 1400 dollars. There was never any police reports filed. You shouldn't have to file a poilce report just to get body work done. For all the body shop knows the driver may of backed into somthing in his own driveway, thus not having a police report.

ralliart_girl
04-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by chadnixon
I recently paid for a accident from my own pocket. The cost was just over 1400 dollars. There was never any police reports filed. You shouldn't have to file a poilce report just to get body work done. For all the body shop knows the driver may of backed into somthing in his own driveway, thus not having a police report.

Actually, it is illegal for a shop to fix a vehicle that has over $ 1,000 worth of damage without a damage sticker.

edit: if it is collision damage

chadnixon
04-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl

Actually, it is illegal for a shop to fix a vehicle that has over $ 1,000 worth of damage without a damage sticker.

edit: if it is collision damage

Wasn't aware of that, thanks.

TomcoPDR
04-04-2008, 07:58 PM
They really should get that $1000 bump a little higher, it's not hard reaching 1k nowadays on non-collision incidents.

+1 screamin' paintworks, sent a cousin there, really clean and smooth work.

cynik
04-04-2008, 08:28 PM
If you decide to pay out the driver in cash, make sure to get them to sign something acknowledging that they received the money in exchange for the damage caused. Seems trivial, but it could save you a lot of trouble if they decide they want to go through insurance and "forget" that you've paid them.