PDA

View Full Version : Please help, someone has to know

haider-s
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
OK, so i was driving my car really hard one night, and all of a sudden, my oil light starts flickering, and i notice this loud knocking-like noise coming from my engine. The light flickers in perfect harmony with the loud noise so i guess they're related. Plus oil started leaking from my engine since, a few drops wherever it has been parked,
This noise is loud at idling, and is louder as you go up rpms, and is loudest around 2500 rpms, and after that it starts dissapearing, and so does the flickering.
But whenever the engine gets pretty warm, the flickering turns into steady constant flashing, and is back to flickering when the engine is cooler again or when it is started again after it has been off for a while. But this noise is always there.
This noise is there with any ammount of oil, so low oil level is not the cause of the noise/flickering.
This issue causes a heavy, subaru STI - like sound from the car at higher rpms ( which is the only good part)

The Car is a 1987 honda accord, so its a 2.0 liter 4 cyl SOHC

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure what it is.
any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

ExOz
04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
My CRX sounded like a boxer engine when one of my spark plug leads came off, but that doesn't explain your other issues, just the noise. :(

SNAATCH
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Sounds almost like a spun bearing to me.

03ozwhip
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
shit...double post.

03ozwhip
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
it might be the wrist pins....

Mr_ET
04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
sounds like rod knock to me.

If that's the case, it's time for a new engine:(

alloroc
04-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Spun (missing) rod bearing?

Wouldn't you lose major oil pressure out the lube hole if there is no bearing above it?

Definitely pull your oil pan and make sure everything underneath is as it should be.