PDA

View Full Version : FS: HKS gen2 264 cams IN/EX

Redlyne_mr2
04-01-2008, 04:03 PM
NOT MINE, crazy good price though
http://www.bestfreeforums.com/forums/fs-3sgte-hks-264-cams-vt581-dorikaze.html

Redlyne_jr
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
damn that is such a good price, i need to see how much money i got after this pay cheque... damn that is a sweet price though... like 50%off

:EzE:
04-01-2008, 05:20 PM
wow that is a good price. to bad i just bought mine lol.

Redlyne_jr
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by :EzE:
wow that is a good price. to bad i just bought mine lol.

lol i know you paid like 8 didn't you?

04-01-2008, 07:52 PM
no i paid 500

stevo 27
04-01-2008, 08:43 PM
no i paid 500

hehehe ahahahah :rofl:

thinmyster
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ~Porsche~
damn that is such a good price, i need to see how much money i got after this pay cheque... damn that is a sweet price though... like 50%off

cams would be overkill for you if you're on a stock turbo

04-01-2008, 08:58 PM
shut up Steve lol :guns:

Redlyne_jr
04-01-2008, 09:40 PM
256 intake

264 intake

272 intake

256 exhaust

264 exhaust

272 exhaust

PRICE: $340 each

off of ATS... didnt you buy them their?

red99600
04-01-2008, 09:50 PM
from an engineering stand point, i would not purchase used cams unless you have the caps machined to fit and the tolerances are to spec, good deal or not.

when it comes to modifying the engine, there are many variables that come into play. and generally should be left to those knowledgeable in this area. People who think these type of mods are simply bolt ons should stick to I/H/E mods.

04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by ~Porsche~
256 intake

264 intake

272 intake

256 exhaust

264 exhaust

272 exhaust

PRICE: $340 each

off of ATS... didnt you buy them their?

nope i found a cheaper place...;)

Redlyne_jr
04-03-2008, 08:41 PM
where?

Redlyne_jr
04-03-2008, 09:07 PM
where?

04-04-2008, 07:30 PM
a company my shop deals with.

stevo 27
04-04-2008, 09:04 PM
a company my shop deals with.
it's ok your still gay ahahahahaha when are we doing your down pipe/ mid pipe / external wastegate i gotta book you into my scheduele??

pm me i don't use messenger anymore it killed my comp so i had to buy another one i LOST SOOOO MANY FILES AND MY CAD PROGRAM :banghead:

04-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by stevo 27

it's ok your still gay ahahahahaha when are we doing your down pipe/ mid pipe / external wastegate i gotta book you into my scheduele??

pm me i don't use messenger anymore it killed my comp so i had to buy another one i LOST SOOOO MANY FILES AND MY CAD PROGRAM :banghead:

haha that sucks bout yur computer... pmd :thumbsup:

jvillain
04-05-2008, 08:42 AM
when it comes to modifying the engine, there are many variables that come into play. and generally should be left to those knowledgeable in this area. People who think these type of mods are simply bolt ons should stick to I/H/E mods.

A little full of yourself or what?

stevo 27
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by red99600
from an engineering stand point, i would not purchase used cams unless you have the caps machined to fit and the tolerances are to spec, good deal or not.

engines are simple and if people "left everything to those who are knowladgable" they would never learn to do it themselves

red99600
04-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by jvillain

no way! i never mentioned that i was one of these knowledgeable people

red99600
04-05-2008, 08:15 PM

engines are simple and if people "left everything to those who are knowladgable" they would never learn to do it themselves

not to me!

heavyD
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I ran 264's in my 4G63 powered Eclipse and they were a pain to properly tune. If you don't get them degreed you will probably lose power throughout the low end and midrange powerband.

heavyD
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM

He actually has a point. Too many people treat cams like a bolt on mod but if not installed correctly or without supporting mods can be an end up being an expensive waste of money. Cams add benefit at higher RPM's but that is where the stock ct27 runs out of steam so you need a large turbo to get the great top end power they can provide. If you don't have a big turbo you would be better served saving that money for a bigger turbo as cams are a support mod.

stevo 27
04-05-2008, 09:19 PM

not to me!

rip one apart and learn how they work it only goes back together one way ;)

962 kid
04-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

He actually has a point. Too many people treat cams like a bolt on mod but if not installed correctly or without supporting mods can be an end up being an expensive waste of money. Cams add benefit at higher RPM's but that is where the stock ct27 runs out of steam so you need a large turbo to get the great top end power they can provide. If you don't have a big turbo you would be better served saving that money for a bigger turbo as cams are a support mod.

:werd: although I consider cams to be pretty much bolt in, it's pretty easy to end up with a less than optimal setup.

stevo 27
04-05-2008, 09:25 PM

you don't need a BIG turbo just a more efficent one the stock ct26 is ass

cams are a benifit even with a modded ct-26

heavyD
04-05-2008, 09:30 PM

you don't need a BIG turbo just a more efficent one the stock ct26 is ass

cams are a benifit even with a modded ct-26

For the money they cost you are better served putting your money into a larger turbo. If your car is a daily driver with a modded ct26, cams are a waste of money. You guys are putting me back ten years when I was telling kids that those $800 stainless headers were a waste of money on a Honda.

stevo 27
04-05-2008, 10:00 PM

For the money they cost you are better served putting your money into a larger turbo. If your car is a daily driver with a modded ct26, cams are a waste of money. You guys are putting me back ten years when I was telling kids that those $800 stainless headers were a waste of money on a Honda.

i agree 100% im the first to go big or go home but a bigger turbo isnt just a bigger turbo fueling,managment, pistons ect ect ect
not cheap if some guy has a modded ct26 and wants a more aggresive power band with pockets that arnt gapping why not cams gears and springs are only around 1000

thinmyster
04-06-2008, 10:19 AM
theres dyno charts on mr2oc of the cams installed "straight up" you just need to search for them

jvillain
04-06-2008, 06:20 PM
My point was he was coming off like nobody here knows what they are doing. There are number of guys in here that know enough to make a set of cams work and can tell when they have a bad set.

BTW the 264s made a world of difference on the CT-20b. Not exactly what I would call a big turbo.

stevo 27
04-06-2008, 09:17 PM

BTW the 264s made a world of difference on the CT-20b. Not exactly what I would call a big turbo.

exactly gain some power and your powerband is more usefull with aftermarket cams regardless on turbo size
so as the turbo is efficent enough to hold boost until redline

IE ct-20b

red99600
04-07-2008, 11:09 AM
My point was he was coming off like nobody here knows what they are doing. There are number of guys in here that know enough to make a set of cams work and can tell when they have a bad set.

people just take too much offense to things posted on boards nowadays.

heavyD
04-08-2008, 08:22 AM

How so? The idea with cams is not to have a turbo that is just holding boost but a turbo that is making boost in it's efficiency. How was your bottom and midrange with the cams? I'm pretty sure you lost power there hence a less streetable engine. There's a reason Honda has two sets of lobes on their VTEC systems and it's to get the best of both worlds. The 3SGTE has poor bottom end power to begin with so I see no advantage of sacrificing more for a little more power over 6000 RPM where you rarely ever get to on the street. If the car is strictly a track car they may be worth it to you but if it's a daily driver no way.

I've run 264's with small/medium (T28) and larger turbos (FP green) on a 4G63 so it's not like I don't have experience both ways so I side with the more experienced. If you don't agree or believe me, talk to tuners and not message board members for this type of information as you will usually get a more educated answer.

heavyD
04-08-2008, 08:27 AM
This post sums it up with dyno plots:

http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=250951&highlight=cams

Just adding cams lost power and that was with a big turbo. They need to be properly tuned to even work with a larger turbo. If you just drop them in with your CT26/CT20 you are kidding yourself if you think you are making more power.

red99600
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
well, i guess there is no point arguing anymore,

everyone thinks they know everything.
and no one will agree with one another if they already have a set of beliefs that are engraved in their head.

heavyD
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
well, i guess there is no point arguing anymore,

everyone thinks they know everything.
and no one will agree with one another if they already have a set of beliefs that are engraved in their head.

It's not beliefs for me as I've been there and done that. Cams can be a great mod but they require proper tuning and sopporting mods or you can lose power and for $500 - $800 that is a huge waste of money. They aren't just a bolt on mod like some think.

red99600
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
well, i guess that was what i was saying ... but then someone claimed i was full of myself. lol

jvillain
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I hold 20 PSI of boost to about 6500RPM then start dropping. I redline at 8500 but usually shift between 7500 and 8000 on the track. I only run it out to redline at the end of the front straight at Race City in order to save my self the shift up to 5th.

Below ~3000RPM I lost a bit and gained every where above that.

But let me put it another way. In autocross If I put Kumo 710s or Hoosier A6 tires as wide as I can possibly fit on the car I have to part throttle my starts in order to keep from lighting up the rear end. I often start in second gear instead. If I was really hurting for power there is no way I would be doing that.

At no time are there any issues with driving this car on the street. But I have done more than just add cams. I went standalone and got RickyB to do the tune. 2 key elements to drivability.