PDA

View Full Version : changing tranny fluid

sh0ko
04-02-2008, 10:02 AM
does anybody know how to do this on our cars?! and how much tranny fluid is needed?! (thinking to get redlyne fluid)

just wondering if someone can help me out.. need this done asap

bmeier
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
super easy, there is a drain plug on the bottom a fill plug on the side you need about 4 litres.

Remove fill plug first! i think its 24mm socket. then remove drain plug and collect oil in drain pain. once drained replace drain plug and fill tranny until it the fluid is level with the fill plug. I usually fill it until fluid starts slowly pouring out the fill hole then replace plug.

It might be hard to pour fluid into the fill plug on the side, what i usually do is get a pump top from a shampoo bottle (well cleaned of course) and screw it onto the oil container and pump the fluid in. Another easy way is removing the top bolt on the shifter lever in the tranny and fill from there, its the the same size as the other bolts so you cant really miss it.

don't overfill the tranny, make sure th oil is level with the fill plug on the side of the transmission.

pf0sh0
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Or if your sketched about finding oil levels, Search about yoru car and how much oil it generally takes in the tranny.

heavyD
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Pretty hard to overfill. If you see fluid leaking from the fill port, stop and when the fluid stops leaking, replace the fill plug.

thinmyster
04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
make sure your car is level and the ass end is not sitting way higher than the front. you'll need a funnel with a extension to get at the fill hole from the top.

thinmyster
04-02-2008, 11:11 AM
copy and pasted:

First park on flat ground.

1. I used a breaker bar with a 20 inch extension to remove top plug.

2. Remove bottom bolt (obvious 24mm plug at bottom of tranny)

3. The fluid gushes out so watch out!

4. When the fluid is out DO NOT MESS WITH THE SHIFTER AT ALL

5. Let it drain for a while

6. Run a quart through to flush out the junk. A true flush uses more caustic chemicals I believe.

7. After the flush, plug the bottom WITH A NEW CRUSH WASHER and torque to spec.

8. Run a hose from a funnel down to the top opening and fill with fluid. Synchromesh, Royal Purple, Red Line, or gear oil (of the correct weight).

The amount of fluid depends. The book calls for 4.2 quarts. many people just do 4. It is less if you have an LSD.

9. Put back in top Plug (you can use the same washer and usually be ok). Torque to Spec.

If you overfill, there is a plug on the side of the tranny (toward the front) that you can take off. It will dump any excess fluid out.

Hope that helps. I did a search on google for mr2 transmission fluid (or something like that) and got great directions.

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/MR2_Docs/changing_transaxle_fluid.htm

sh0ko
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
thanx thinmyster!!!

Redlyne_jr
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
we need to go cruise shoko:thumbsup:

sonnyg403
04-02-2008, 11:12 PM
i just tried changing mine tonight with redline..failure.
first i tried just reaching to the fill bolt..but i couldnt get a good hold on it, so i jacked it up and put her on stands..then tried again..but i couldnt get a good hold on the bolt at all..it was so damn tight. i ended up just stripping to top of the bolt. I'm just gonna take it in to a minute lube or something. Pissed me off though

o..but the underbody of my mr2 was soo clean!

bmeier
04-03-2008, 08:34 AM
minute lube sucks, dont do it...

you can easily crack the transmission case if you tighten the bolt too much, i have seen it many times.

Did you attempt to take the side fill bolt off? if you have the proper tools it shouldnt strip, a 24mm 6 point socket is best in my opinion. if the bolt is completely stripped you can take the top fill bolt off as described in thinmysters post.

this is why i always say to take the fill bolt off first

sonnyg403
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by bmeier
minute lube sucks, dont do it...

you can easily crack the transmission case if you tighten the bolt too much, i have seen it many times.

Did you attempt to take the side fill bolt off? if you have the proper tools it shouldnt strip, a 24mm 6 point socket is best in my opinion. if the bolt is completely stripped you can take the top fill bolt off as described in thinmysters post.

this is why i always say to take the fill bolt off first
i used a 24mm 6 point socket...and i was trying to take the fill bolt off first. It may have been stripped previously but im not sure, i just really could not get a hold on it..i would be pulling and then it would just slip off. which ended up stripping it a lil bit

jvillain
04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
See if you can get a small pipe wrench on it. The dealer actually stocks those plugs. I think they are used on every thing.

mr2mike
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Take a metal file and re make the edges of the bolt again so the socket can grab it. Then make sure you're pushing straight on while someone pulls the breaker bar or driver.