PDA

View Full Version : Hot Pot at home

GQNammer
04-02-2008, 07:23 PM
So I'm hosting a hot pot at my house for the first time.....and I've never thrown one before!

Need your help folks.

What are the popular food people really like and where's a good place to get them.

Feeding approximately 10+people so much help is needed. Thanks

AE86Drift
04-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Chicken broth with added water (says on can)
Fish balls
Oysters
Shredded or thin cut pieces of whatever meat you enjoy (lamb, beef, pork)
Imitation crab meat
Prawns
Shrimp
Squid

and for vegetables...
Bok Choy
Tofu
Fish tofu (popular)
Mushrooms (Enoki or whatever you prefer)
Nappa cabbage

Also, serve like separate dipping sauces or whats so ever like Hoisin sauce.

n1zm0
04-02-2008, 07:42 PM
see this thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/188847/shabu-shabu-in-edmonton/)

but this is how my family does it
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/n1zm0/HomeXmasNewYear2006053.jpg

buy everything even the crock pot at T&T

l/l/rX
04-02-2008, 09:02 PM
you need dipping sauces... like spices n stuff to go in your bowls.

but ya pretty much anything and everything goes good into hot pot.

dragonone
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
i would say the most important aspect of a hot pot is the soup base
some ppl boil it for hours and even days so it has full flavor
personally, i like chicken broth, parsley, and a full big fish head
leave ur spices in ur own sauce

also ppl like to have raw egg yolk in their sauce, and leave the egg white to dip the premium cut beef, it makes the beef more tender

TomcoPDR
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

essexbird
04-03-2008, 02:54 AM
What is a hot pot?

In england a hot pot is a casserole with slices potato's on top served in a hugh dish

topmade
04-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by essexbird
What is a hot pot?

In england a hot pot is a casserole with slices potato's on top served in a hugh dish
It's basically a boiling pot of soup in the middle of the table where you toss things in that you want to eat. All the stuff cooks very fast as you can see in the pic above because they are cut thin and in small pieces.

We usually have a lot of the meat/fish/tofu/seafood balls because there are usually quite a few kids. We also like to have sliced beef, shrimp, fresh tofu, noodles, etc... and keep the soup plain and let people make their own sauce dish.

DENZILDON
04-03-2008, 07:36 AM
What is a hot pot?

See pic above! :D

essexbird
04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
thanks for explaining, i looked at the picture above and that was what confused me!!!!
we dont do stuff like that ova here. it sounds really nice so i might try it tho :)

DENZILDON
04-03-2008, 08:16 AM
thanks for explaining, i looked at the picture above and that was what confused me!!!!
we dont do stuff like that ova here. it sounds really nice so i might try it tho :)

Yes, it's very gooooood! :thumbsup:

Basically you get what meat/veggie you want, drop it in the hotpot for a few mins, then chow!!!

hampstor
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
For the base, I boil a lightly seasonsed whole pork tenderloin with water, chicken stock, a whole onion, some carrots and a small amount of fish sauce for about 2 hrs. That's what I use for stock. I may add more chicken stock/water if i don't have enough.

I slice up the tenderloin and include it as part of the 'meat' in the hotpot. I also have those beef balls you get with Pho, have some shrimp, and imitation crab meat.

For veggies, we usually have sliced carrots, celery, cabbage, bok choy, spinich and water cress.

For dipping sauce, i just use the fish sauce straight out of the bottle and mash up some hot chili's into it :)

Usually at our home there's maybe 4-6 people max. I hope the suggestions above help you out.

For those that don't know - Hotpot is like Fondue, just bigger scale and more variety of food.

Will@STRD
04-06-2008, 12:20 AM
go to T&T supermarket theyhas everything u need- If you want the original dipping sauce u can make it yourself - mix sugar into LEE KUM KEE seasoned soy sauce for seafood, heat up some oil in sauce pan (make sure is super hot). Then turn the heat off and pour the mixture into the oil and mix it. put it in a bowl and put some deep fried garlic (u can buy it at T&T) on it

bigbadboss101
04-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Hot pot is great. I haven't had it at home. Usually go to Happy Hills etc.

Some people have Oil fondue. There is no comparison. My friends had Oil fondue and first of all the pot is so small and you put a couple pieces of food in at a time. Besides, so much oil.
Hot pot kicks butts. Need to introduce this to people of other background for sure.

bignerd
04-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Where is Happy Hills? I haven't had hotpot since that place on 10th closed across from the Whiskey, you had to go down the stairs and it had a big water feature when you walked in. Can't remember the name now of course, there is still one in Banff. ---Ahh Sukiyaki House??

sofarsogood
04-12-2008, 11:44 PM
you can find a lot of Hotpot food in Chinese or Korean supermarket, and hot pot and stove as well. but remember, sause is very important part of whole hotpot thing.

Check it out:

Hotpot pics (http://images.google.com/images?q=%E9%B8%B3%E9%B8%AF%E7%81%AB%E9%94%85&ndsp=18&um=1&hl=zh-CN&lr=&start=0&sa=N)

more here (http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=zh-CN&lr=&q=%E7%81%AB%E9%94%85&btnG=%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%87)

LongCity
04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Put beer into the soup base too!

theken
04-13-2008, 12:19 AM
where do u get those beef balls from pho? i like them wondered where they come from, i probably don't want to know the answer though

dj_rice
04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by theken
where do u get those beef balls from pho? i like them wondered where they come from, i probably don't want to know the answer though

I usually buy mine from T & T or you can get them in the Meat dept at Lucky's Supermarket or any Vietnamese grocery store...unless your asking for ingredients....then its made outta beef tongue/balls/ears

eb0i
04-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

unless your asking for ingredients....then its made outta beef tongue/balls/ears

don't forget they throw in some scrotum for the chewy texture.

dj_rice
04-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

don't forget they throw in some scrotum for the chewy texture.

True, forgot about that, also theres some very crunchy clear things inside it, and I think it was the gelatin you get from the ears?