PDA

View Full Version : hot sauce diet

Kritafo
04-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Eat hot sauce, lose weight?

How to lose weight and add some spice to your meals.

Related Content
- 5 sneaky things that make you gain weight
- How to balance blood sugar and control your hunger
- 6 ways to keep the weight off

Baltimore-based orthopaedic surgeon Dr. Spiro Antoniades hit rock bottom in 2004 when his own doctor told Antoniades he was starting to become diabetic.

"I panicked and took a whole week off work, which for me was a big deal," says Antoniades. "I went to the medical library and studied everything that I could think of."

Like many other people struggling with excess weight, Antoniades had tried other diets before, but without success. "And I was exercising three or four times a week pretty vigorously, but not enough."

The answer came in a bottle. A hot sauce bottle. Antoniades began to use hot sauce to punish his bad behaviours. "I knew that hot sauce, hot peppers and chilli peppers suppressed my appetite and kept me from overeating," he says.

"The hot sauce diet was, for me, the catalyst. I already understood everything I was doing wrong, but even though I consider myself a very disciplined and smart person, I couldn't control myself."

A year after starting his hot sauce diet, Antoniades had lost 70 pounds and put his personal dieting experience into an inspiring and humorous book called The Hot Sauce Diet: A Journey of Behavior Modification (iUniverse, 2006).

The science of hot sauce
Hot sauce works to advance weight loss in three ways, says Antoniades:

1. It's an appetite suppressant.

2. It makes you thirsty, which makes you drink more water and therefore eat less.

3. Hot sauce is toxic and can make your face flush and feel uncomfortable. This discomfort creates a situation of aversive conditioning.

Antoniades took a shot of hot sauce when he was experiencing abnormal eating behaviours that included a feeling of being way too hungry. The hot sauce shot would curb his hunger.

Is it as simple as it sounds?
No, says Antoniades. He maintains that you have to know yourself and the wrong behaviour for his method to be successful. Antoniades recognized early in his own weight loss process that one of his weak periods was after work. "I'd come home starving and I'd eat the whole family dinner before we even sat down at the dinner table, and then I'd eat another dinner."

Antoniades employed his "pushback" -- one teaspoon of hot sauce in a glass of tomato juice -- to calm his appetite, pique his thirst and cause him to drink water. He found that, by using his pushback, he was able to eat dinner normally.

At work, Antoniades would do the same at lunch, liberally lacing his soup with hot sauce. Then, using a stopwatch, he timed himself with a goal of taking 10 minutes to finish his soup. "That's something else I've learned from the behavioural psychology research. It should take you about 20 minutes to eat a meal. My meals used to average 30 seconds."

How to make the hot sauce diet work for you
1. Count your calories and know the details of your diet.
2. Slap the Angry Hungry Man (or Woman) with some hot sauce.
3. Let the sauce work, and drink a lot of water to remove the burn.
4. Eat a balanced, sensible diet.

Dangers of consuming too much hot sauce?
"The active ingredient in hot sauce is capsaicin," says Antoniades. "It's toxic, but you have to drink about 1.5 litres."

What about ulcers? Antoniades cites a study where rats subjected to lethal doses of capsaicin died from respiratory failure and, upon autopsy, no ulcers were found. But what if you're a human? "I was worried about ulcers when I started the diet, but I found nothing happened. In fact, there's no scientific evidence that spicy food or substances cause ulcers."

JGerke
04-03-2008, 06:59 AM
great idea....not only are you punished by taking a swig of the stuff but the ring of fire makes you think twice about eating like a pig. Should be a new mandatory diet....

Kritafo
04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
yeah...I thought it was interesting...lots of people just eat everything on their plate. This would definitely slow them down, so when they are actually full they stop. Cause you know we do everything fast.

Ben
04-03-2008, 08:52 AM
I use a neat technique also.

It's called Self Control. I see these people all the time, they eat as if they don't get it down as quick as possible some rabid hosebeast is gonna come out of the darkness and steal it away.

People need to make wise decisions about what, and how much they put on their plate. Why punish eating? Why make it an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. Eating should be an enjoyable experience.

"Gee honey, this peach cobbler tastes really awful with the liberal helping of scotch bonnet sauce."

"I know, I was thinking the same thing about my Extra Fried Chicken, and extra cheese extra meat deep dish pizza, I know we eat this all the time, but with this hot sauce I just cant quite get it right."

I guess this diet does work in principle, however I think it's a pretty ridiculous way to go about it. It's a waste of food and creates a hatred towards eating. If I wanted to drink a glass of hot sauce laced tomato juice I'd build myself a proper Caesar and a nice rib eye to go along with it.

To lose weight you have to consistently burn more calories than you take in. You have to eat frequently (every few hours to keep your metabolism up). You don't see the people on "The Biggest Loser" dousing everything in hot sauce so they hate life and the food thats in it. Nope, it's constant exercise and portion controlled healthy foods. Thats how you drop those 100+lb weights over 4 months. You dont need some weird diet or anything.

Once you've trained your body into this eating regiment you can have those days where you can sit down and eat a bucket of fried chicken and enjoy it and not have to worry about it going right to your ass. Granted I wouldn't recommend that for the health of your heart, but you don't need to feel chained to the vegetable crisper.

I lost a good solid 60lbs just by being active and eating healthy, now I can eat whatever the heck I want, and not gain a pound.

The above is of course all null and void if you love hot sauce, and add it to everything anyways.

I guess it comes down to whatever works. Hey, if it helps you lose weight, thats what's important, I just think there's far more logical and enjoyable ways to go about it. The first being Put the Fork Down. :thumbsup:

Lex350
04-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Eat hot sauce, lose weight?

How to lose weight and add some spice to your meals.

Related Content
- 5 sneaky things that make you gain weight
- How to balance blood sugar and control your hunger
- 6 ways to keep the weight off

Baltimore-based orthopaedic surgeon Dr. Spiro Antoniades hit rock bottom in 2004 when his own doctor told Antoniades he was starting to become diabetic.

"I panicked and took a whole week off work, which for me was a big deal," says Antoniades. "I went to the medical library and studied everything that I could think of."

Like many other people struggling with excess weight, Antoniades had tried other diets before, but without success. "And I was exercising three or four times a week pretty vigorously, but not enough."

The answer came in a bottle. A hot sauce bottle. Antoniades began to use hot sauce to punish his bad behaviours. "I knew that hot sauce, hot peppers and chilli peppers suppressed my appetite and kept me from overeating," he says.

"The hot sauce diet was, for me, the catalyst. I already understood everything I was doing wrong, but even though I consider myself a very disciplined and smart person, I couldn't control myself."

A year after starting his hot sauce diet, Antoniades had lost 70 pounds and put his personal dieting experience into an inspiring and humorous book called The Hot Sauce Diet: A Journey of Behavior Modification (iUniverse, 2006).

The science of hot sauce
Hot sauce works to advance weight loss in three ways, says Antoniades:

1. It's an appetite suppressant.

2. It makes you thirsty, which makes you drink more water and therefore eat less.

3. Hot sauce is toxic and can make your face flush and feel uncomfortable. This discomfort creates a situation of aversive conditioning.

Antoniades took a shot of hot sauce when he was experiencing abnormal eating behaviours that included a feeling of being way too hungry. The hot sauce shot would curb his hunger.

Is it as simple as it sounds?
No, says Antoniades. He maintains that you have to know yourself and the wrong behaviour for his method to be successful. Antoniades recognized early in his own weight loss process that one of his weak periods was after work. "I'd come home starving and I'd eat the whole family dinner before we even sat down at the dinner table, and then I'd eat another dinner."

Antoniades employed his "pushback" -- one teaspoon of hot sauce in a glass of tomato juice -- to calm his appetite, pique his thirst and cause him to drink water. He found that, by using his pushback, he was able to eat dinner normally.

At work, Antoniades would do the same at lunch, liberally lacing his soup with hot sauce. Then, using a stopwatch, he timed himself with a goal of taking 10 minutes to finish his soup. "That's something else I've learned from the behavioural psychology research. It should take you about 20 minutes to eat a meal. My meals used to average 30 seconds."

How to make the hot sauce diet work for you
1. Count your calories and know the details of your diet.
2. Slap the Angry Hungry Man (or Woman) with some hot sauce.
3. Let the sauce work, and drink a lot of water to remove the burn.
4. Eat a balanced, sensible diet.

Dangers of consuming too much hot sauce?
"The active ingredient in hot sauce is capsaicin," says Antoniades. "It's toxic, but you have to drink about 1.5 litres."

What about ulcers? Antoniades cites a study where rats subjected to lethal doses of capsaicin died from respiratory failure and, upon autopsy, no ulcers were found. But what if you're a human? "I was worried about ulcers when I started the diet, but I found nothing happened. In fact, there's no scientific evidence that spicy food or substances cause ulcers."

what a bunch of crap! People just don;t pay enough attention to what they eat then try to explain it away anyway they can other than taking responsibility for their actions.

Eat a diet that balances your insulin levels and you stay healthy and your weight control is easy.

dennisaur
04-05-2008, 09:49 AM
haha to me, this hot sauce diet would give the opposite results, specially with sriracha... i'd end up eating more of the stuff:rofl:

2002civic
04-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I use a neat technique also.

It's called Self Control. I see these people all the time, they eat as if they don't get it down as quick as possible some rabid hosebeast is gonna come out of the darkness and steal it away.

People need to make wise decisions about what, and how much they put on their plate. Why punish eating? Why make it an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. Eating should be an enjoyable experience.

"Gee honey, this peach cobbler tastes really awful with the liberal helping of scotch bonnet sauce."

"I know, I was thinking the same thing about my Extra Fried Chicken, and extra cheese extra meat deep dish pizza, I know we eat this all the time, but with this hot sauce I just cant quite get it right."

I guess this diet does work in principle, however I think it's a pretty ridiculous way to go about it. It's a waste of food and creates a hatred towards eating. If I wanted to drink a glass of hot sauce laced tomato juice I'd build myself a proper Caesar and a nice rib eye to go along with it.

To lose weight you have to consistently burn more calories than you take in. You have to eat frequently (every few hours to keep your metabolism up). You don't see the people on "The Biggest Loser" dousing everything in hot sauce so they hate life and the food thats in it. Nope, it's constant exercise and portion controlled healthy foods. Thats how you drop those 100+lb weights over 4 months. You dont need some weird diet or anything.

Once you've trained your body into this eating regiment you can have those days where you can sit down and eat a bucket of fried chicken and enjoy it and not have to worry about it going right to your ass. Granted I wouldn't recommend that for the health of your heart, but you don't need to feel chained to the vegetable crisper.

I lost a good solid 60lbs just by being active and eating healthy, now I can eat whatever the heck I want, and not gain a pound.

The above is of course all null and void if you love hot sauce, and add it to everything anyways.

I guess it comes down to whatever works. Hey, if it helps you lose weight, thats what's important, I just think there's far more logical and enjoyable ways to go about it. The first being Put the Fork Down. :thumbsup:
agreed, exercise and healthy food

nightfx
04-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by dennisaur
haha to me, this hot sauce diet would give the opposite results, specially with sriracha... i'd end up eating more of the stuff:rofl:
Haha, i know what you mean. :drool:

hampstor
04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
I wonder what kind of hotsauce he was drinking... probably tabasco or something weak like that :)

I try never to eat until i'm full - cause that's when i know i've over eaten. I eat until i'm not hungry anymore :)

n1zm0
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
what about all the time he spent on the toilet trying to take a dump on an empty stomach :nut:

GQBalla
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by dennisaur

werd^^^

i dont know why but for me when i use the rooster sauce i can eat way more too!

but i think for me its all hot things i can eat more.

if i have add kim chi to my meal i eat i shit load lots more!

PINOY-X
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
this wouldnt work for me. i eat everything with hot sauce or those pickled green chilli pepper.

herragge
04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Capsaicin is also a thermogenic which "may" help in fat burning. Some "cutting" products on the market have employed using the active compounds from chilli peppers to act as appetite suppressants as well as thermogenics for fat burning.

The reasoning SEEMS logical, however he should look into finding long term studies that demonstrate the effects of spicy foods on producing ulcers. Pure capsaicin is rated at 16 million scoville units; that is enough to burn through healthy tissue. Although spicy hot sauce won't have near this much capsaicin, it is something to consider.

Be cautious.