PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Restart Virus?

Mr.Buffy
08-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Today, my computer all the sudden pops up with this error message saying some remote something has terminated. And then it gives a timer counting down from one minute and then the computer restarts.

I read on some other forum that there's this virus going around that causes this.

Was wondering if anyone else has run into this?

yankeefan
08-11-2003, 09:49 PM
yeah my brother is having the same problem... dunno much about it though..

BigShow
08-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Here's some info: http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/11/internet.attack.ap/index.html

AquamosH
08-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Do u know the name of the virus by any chance?

Mr.Buffy
08-11-2003, 09:53 PM
http://www.umbrellaonline.co.uk/msblast.html

Here is a fix I found for it.
I have not tried to install this stuff yet to fix it.

For some reason, my other account on XP will restart right away, but now, on my guest account, it still hasn't done it yet.

yankeefan
08-11-2003, 09:53 PM
article calls it lovsan.....its does exactly what you are saying

"The infection was quickly dubbed "LovSan" because of a love note left behind on vulnerable computers: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!" Researchers also discovered another message hidden inside the infection that appeared to taunt Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates: "billy gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!""

KoukiS14
08-11-2003, 09:57 PM
i had the same thing too, hasnt happened lately tho

04blackMAX
08-11-2003, 10:01 PM
man mines doing that, does that thinkg work, iam on my other pc this ones fine, so its good??

Dave P
08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
fuck, happens to me to

euro tang
08-11-2003, 10:46 PM
i had it this moring too, all i did was go to my network options in contol panel and enabled a firewall

4G63Power
08-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by euro tang
i had it this moring too, all i did was go to my network options in contol panel and enabled a firewall

same :thumbsup:

yankeefan
08-11-2003, 10:49 PM
never even knew I could do that...learn something everyday =D

88CRX
08-11-2003, 11:15 PM
mine was doing that too.... then when i came home today i had a virus allert... some system32/msblast.exe found out its called W32 Blaster Worm

so 2 hours later i think its fixed.

4CylFiero
08-11-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Buffy

Here is a fix I found for it.
I have not tried to install this stuff yet to fix it.

For some reason, my other account on XP will restart right away, but now, on my guest account, it still hasn't done it yet.

Thank you very much for this link It worked out great, putting up a firewall by going settings - control panel - (category view) network and internet connections - network connections - properties - advanced tab. Will not work if you are freshly reformatted. I reformatted because i just figured my sister messed up my computer and thought it was time to start fresh.

AquamosH
08-11-2003, 11:24 PM
Maybe this is from corrupted Kazaa files? :dunno:

D'z Nutz
08-11-2003, 11:30 PM
Sweet, you guys just saved me some work in the morning! A couple people came to our support desk today with the same problems on their laptops. I wasn't aware of this virus until today.

Weapon_R
08-12-2003, 12:13 AM
My computer has done this all day. Thanks for the info!

And the second link does work - two hours already and not a single restart

Mr.Buffy
08-12-2003, 08:31 AM
I am at work now, I'm not sure if my home computer is still messed up.

I read on that cnn link that there is also a patch or something in addition to that other link I posted with a fix.

4cylfiero, you mentioned that you just reformatted and it will not work. I am planning to reformat anyways.....

Firecracker
08-12-2003, 09:20 AM
i had it, but we called shaw and they told us what to do.
you go to www.rpc.ma.cx and download the file to your desktop, and then when thats all done, you unplug the phone cable thing, and the restart it and plug it back in, it did the trick the first time for us. :)

KLCC
08-12-2003, 10:19 AM
actually, there is a critical microsoft security patch (released on july 16ish?) where you can download and then patch it up. It will solves all problems related to the Remote Procedure Calls function.
I forgot to mention....after the installation of the patch, the worm would still have to be deleted off from the hard disk to ensure a proper working condition until the future discovery of YET another design flaw by microsoft.:banghead:

for more information
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

calarina
08-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Do you think their 'patches' are ever meant to fix all the problems? I'm sure they put some sort of bug in there again, just so they can make money and bring out another version of XP. ;)

Impreza
08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
hey anth...
my sis had the same problem..
thx for the link!

ninspeed
08-12-2003, 04:59 PM
I had that shit, but i needed to format my HD anyways... computer had more wrong with it than just that

rage2
08-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by KLCC
proper working condition until the future discovery of YET another design flaw by microsoft.:banghead:
Not all software is perfect (even though this one should not have slipped through for so long hehe). We had all our systems patched on the 16th, the day of the advisory. Even *nix systems suffer bugs that causes these wide open holes. MS released this patch over a month ago... it's the people that's not patching that should be blamed. I mean, MS has made it soooo frickin' easy to patch. Double click THIS :
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/wu2.jpg

Or go to the menu in IE like THIS :
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/wu1.jpg

My mom can do it, so can you. :) Really, I blame this one on lazy people more than anything. I go to people's houses, use their computers, and see that windows update icon sitting there. I ask them to click it, they said it's annoying and set it to remind them in another week! :rofl:

Microsoft calls them CRITICAL UPDATES for a reason hehe.

Mr.Buffy
08-12-2003, 05:28 PM

If you go back to this link now, there is a program that was developed by Symantec to remove this virus.

Apparently, I heard that if you don't remove this virus by August 16 it'll get worse:
"WARNING SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ANYONE WHO GOT THE RPC ERROR NEEDS TO GET A FIREWALL AND BLOCK OUT PORT 135 ON THE 16TH THE VIRUS WILL BEGIN TO EAT YOUR WINDOWS UPDATE FILE THIS IS THE BEGINING OF THE NEW VIRUS"

KLCC
08-12-2003, 05:28 PM
true that.

rage2
08-12-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Buffy
WARNING SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ANYONE WHO GOT THE RPC ERROR NEEDS TO GET A FIREWALL AND BLOCK OUT PORT 135 ON THE 16TH THE VIRUS WILL BEGIN TO EAT YOUR WINDOWS UPDATE FILE THIS IS THE BEGINING OF THE NEW VIRUS
Actually, it'll use all your bandwidth and attack Microsoft's site if you don't patch by the 16th. If it's a work computer, and you pay by the GB... look out for the big bill! :)

gpomp
08-12-2003, 09:26 PM
Ooh, that was pissing me off yesterday. I think it restarted my computer 4-5 times before I found a path. Here is the one for XP:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/b/98bcfad8-afbc-458f-aaee-b7a52a983f01/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe

ninspeed
08-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Ooh, that was pissing me off yesterday. I think it restarted my computer 4-5 times before I found a path. Here is the one for XP:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/b/98bcfad8-afbc-458f-aaee-b7a52a983f01/WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU.exe
ya, WTF where you not home yesterday when i needed that... :D... it ok, i lost SO much info man

Ben
08-12-2003, 10:00 PM
I have a virus that is causing the "SVCHOST.EXE" to perform an illegal opperation" then it floods my ram so I cannot drop and drag items, click links, open programs or utilise anything that requires your RAM...blows ass, We got this virus at work today too, and I hate it! Especially when I have photos to edit, which is heavily RAM intensive. Great, gotta rebooooot....again!!!!!

Mr.Buffy
08-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Well...I reformatted my computer and reinstalled XP.
Still having some problems...
Trying to enable the firewall under network connections/properties/advanced....problem is that it says my WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) is corrupt or something and it doesn't even show the options of selecting a firewall.
Think I should just reformat and reinstall again??

5.9 R/T
08-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I have a virus that is causing the "SVCHOST.EXE" to perform an illegal opperation" then it floods my ram so I cannot drop and drag items, click links, open programs or utilise anything that requires your RAM...blows ass, We got this virus at work today too, and I hate it! Especially when I have photos to edit, which is heavily RAM intensive. Great, gotta rebooooot....again!!!!!

WTF is that shit anyways? I got 4 of them, 1 network 1 local and 2 for system. stupid windows.

[GaGe]
08-12-2003, 11:07 PM
holy shit, so many people have viruses.. my computer's perfectly fine.

AquamosH
08-12-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by [GaGe]

:werd:

jdmmavericktR
08-13-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by [GaGe]

Something to be said about being aware and patching your own system. It's like leaving your hose running in your yard all day, yes it's your hose...and yes you're flooding the neighborhood and getting everybody's shoes and tires wet.