PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use Vonage or other VOIP service?

97'Scort
04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Well, I got accepted to go back to school in Victoria. I really don't want to forgo my cell phone number here, so I looked around and discovered I can port my cell number and area code over to Vonage. Then I can get a new number for my cell phone with a 250 area code. Works perfect.

Can anybody here comment on the quality of service from Vonage and how reliable the VOIP connections are in general? The routers and such are free with the plan, so the price is right.

A790
04-05-2008, 12:12 AM
Don't download and talk and you'll be fine.

shadowz
04-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I use Vodigo

97'Scort
04-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by A790
Don't download and talk and you'll be fine.

What about regular internet use, like looking up something on a search engine?

Kaos
04-06-2008, 10:45 PM
No offence to the voip users but I wouldn't be happy if my internet goes down and then my phone wont work.
Instead of paying a company $XXX amount of dollars, just use skype.

Zero102
04-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm on vonage, in my area shaw is pretty much rock solid for internet. In 18 months I haven't had a single outage that I noticed. Helps that my cable modem and VOIP router are on a UPS, they go ~8-10 hours without power no problem and shaw's network didn't go down when our power was out for a few hours.

I have to cap my torrent upload speed at 20kb/sec, any higher and it starts to randomly impact my call quality. No issues at all with internet gaming or massive downloads while on the phone, seems to be only upstream it's touchy with.

Vonage tech support = total shit, and the first router they gave me (vt2142) had some HORRIBLE call quality issues, clicking,popping, random squealing, etc., but after switching to an older linksys router I've got no issues at all with it right now.

97'Scort
04-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
No offence to the voip users but I wouldn't be happy if my internet goes down and then my phone wont work.
Instead of paying a company $XXX amount of dollars, just use skype.

My problem is that my cell phone number (a 780 number) is my business number for my DJ company here in Edmonton. I'd like to keep the company running in Edmonton while I live in Victoria, and I will never be able to track down all the people who use this number before I go. Plus, by moving the number to vonage, my friends/family here can call me and it won't cost them long distance charges.

This really is my only solution, I was just curious as to whether Vonage was the best or whether there was another option.

kayzee
04-08-2008, 11:56 PM
VoIP calls in general is good. You need a good provider though to lessen the line drop and make your call as close to PSTN quality as possible.

I switched from Vonage to Onesuite.com just last year because Onesuite pay as you go suits me better than the $15 a month plan from Vonage. So far I think I made the right choice.

They do number transfer too but not sure if they can also do it to Canadian phone numbers bacause I only use mine for outgoing calls.

BTW, you can browse the net without affecting the quality of your call and this goes for all voip calls.

beyondmike
04-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I've got Vonage and no problems here. No drop calls. Phone works great and I'm in a rural area(kinda, just outside city limits) and I'm running satellite internet which is not as fast as Shaw HS. I paid $399/year everything included(caller id, voicemail, etc) unlimited north america etc. I got my old number ported over no problems. Got a free wireless router and no problems surfing internet and using phone. Only issue I have is when my internet goes down, I got no phone, but that's all voip phones.

zxt
04-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Onesuite user here. Never tried the other voip providers though because I had no reason to. Onesuite suits my needs and I love the 24/7 live support and the very good rates.

Brendan_4g63
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
Skype is super cheap now, $9ish for unlimited international calling
Lots of little skype phones you can get for your home.

Get a router with QoS (quality of service) like the linksys N dir-655, it prioritizes traffic, like skypes port.