PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination be DAMNED

hjr
08-11-2003, 10:51 PM
I finally began my summer project. Im tearing down my car to fix ever little thing that is wrong with it. And damn, the list is getting long. In one day i have these items out and inspected - cv shafts, alternator, a/c compressor, rad, a/c condencer, rad fan, front clip (alot of hassel), intake mani, headlight housings, tranny semi out (2 bolts), engine semi out (1 bolt, exhaust mani, and some minor wiring). Geez, it seemed like alot more in my head until i typed it out. Oh well. Pictures soon. It bairly looks like a jetta anymore.

My list of items to be attended to are:
< - Passenger CV shaft - (boot cracked and cv joint destroyed) > Done
< - Flex-pipe leaking / new downpipe - (Wicked expensive) > Done
< - Clutch / Flywheel - (easy pleasy) > Done
< - Find and fix oil leak - (Cam Seal, who knew?) > Done
- X Expensive motor mount to be replaced (3rd of 3 to be done) X - Not nessisary
- GIAC engine software (I have to order it soon)
- Tires
now the real biggie
< - Rings - rod bearings - All major gasgets - Valve seals (decided not to) - Oil Pump (pricy) *YIKES* > all done
- Strip / Repair / prep / spend countless hours on seemingly nothing / Paint *uggggggg, i cant wait*
Then crap stuff
- Passenger door handle
- Drivers door sill
- Climate control illumination lights
- Hide amp wiring
- Replace block heater cord
- Shampoo interior

Well thats what i get for putting things off. They pile up and i am have to do everything at once in order to have it done for school - how else will i get to the university, not the bus thats for damn sure ;)

Updates later

Updated--

littledan
08-11-2003, 11:12 PM
man you better stop typing and start wrenching!! good luck though, hopefully everything goes smoothly. today i was changing my friends oil and the monkeys at yellowhead honda had the oil drain plug torqued on so damn tight it took me 20 mins to get that sucker off!

three.eighteen.
08-12-2003, 04:42 PM
its all about the passenger door handle!! mines been broken forever :rofl:

"use the mapholder"

hjr
08-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Right. The engine is out, and tranny too. I have all the engine stuff, or ordered, the clutch too. The engine is 85% cleaned (long freaken job i tell you what). But ive also been looking for an apartment so my time is split. I had hoped to be further by now. Ohh well. Back to work. I want to have the engine torn down by the end of tonight. Have everything replaced, and back together by tomorow night. Then comes cleaning the engine bay. Yikarooni, is that going to be a job and a half.

littledan
08-15-2003, 01:23 AM
keep up the good work man!!! you're going to know every little detail of your car when you're done... :thumbsup:

hjr
08-18-2003, 08:44 PM
so its been going slowly. Not too much i can do about that i guess. I took sunday off from working on the car and only did a half day on saturday, but today was a morning till an hour ago day. cylinders are now honed, new rings and rod bearings are installed. New oil pump installed and primed. New crank seal and housing gasget, water pump housing seal, cam seals, cresent valve cover seals, distributer seal. Wheff, my gasget set is almost used up, which is a good sign. But now for the bad freaken news. The upper stud for the #5 cam bearing streached. WTF? How does that happen you ask, i dont have a freaken clue. I was going by the book on the torque settings, so there shouldnt have been a problem. But anyways, the bottom of the treads looks like an hour glass. Or s very shaply woman, either way, its not good. So now i have to pull the cams out and take the head into the shop to get a new stud pressed in. Sooo close. So its going to be at least one more day before the engine can go back together. Im going to go into the head now for valve seals as it has to come apart anyways. more updates later.

GTS Jeff
08-19-2003, 12:44 AM
hmmm hey man, once im up in edmonton (sept) ill give u a shout and lend u an extra pair of hands..

Redlyne_mr2
08-19-2003, 12:47 AM
Damn your car will be mint when its done

hjr
08-29-2003, 06:14 PM
well the engine is finally back together. I had to time it twice because of my on foolishness. I forgot to bolt down the timing belt cover that goes behind the crank pulley. WHen that had to come off again, it threw out the timing on the belt. But anywas, the new clutch is in too. I also replaced my drivers outer CV boot, passanger CV shaft, drivers steering rack boot, drivers tie rod end, drivers brake line. The engine is back into the car as well but not before we played with the clutch for 2 hours. The wiring harness is back in place, and all the mounts are secured. My new downpipe from C1 is in too. It looks really nice, but im sure that wont last long. The clutch is set up and the speedo is back working again. all thats left is to put the intake mani back on, and start it up. If all goes well in that sector, then the rad and AC condencer will go back in. The CV shafts will go back in and the front clip will go back in. And i only have until 10 AM tomorow to do all that, break it in for about 50-75 KM and then do an oil change. Then off to red deer we go.

GTS Jeff
08-30-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by hjr
well the engine is finally back together. I had to time it twice because of my on foolishness. I forgot to bolt down the timing belt cover that goes behind the crank pulley. WHen that had to come off again, it threw out the timing on the belt. But anywas, the new clutch is in too. I also replaced my drivers outer CV boot, passanger CV shaft, drivers steering rack boot, drivers tie rod end, drivers brake line. The engine is back into the car as well but not before we played with the clutch for 2 hours. The wiring harness is back in place, and all the mounts are secured. My new downpipe from C1 is in too. It looks really nice, but im sure that wont last long. The clutch is set up and the speedo is back working again. all thats left is to put the intake mani back on, and start it up. If all goes well in that sector, then the rad and AC condencer will go back in. The CV shafts will go back in and the front clip will go back in. And i only have until 10 AM tomorow to do all that, break it in for about 50-75 KM and then do an oil change. Then off to red deer we go. tight schedule adam....where are the pics?

heh i guess it doesnt matter tho...ill see u in red deer tommorrow :thumbsup:

hjr
08-30-2003, 09:13 AM
well ill be in red deer, but not in the jetta. The hall sendor wonked out and i couldnt get another in time.

As for pics, i dont have a digital, so they have t be developed and scaned.