PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to repair a compressor hose.

frozenrice
04-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I came home the other day to hear a hissing coming from my compressor hose. Sure enough it had developed a slight crack and was leaking. Instead of buying a new hose, what is the best way to repair it? The leak is about 2ft away from the end of the hose so I was thinking of cutting out the bad section and butt joining the ends together with a two ended barbed fitting and hose clamps. Is this a good idea? The hose is 3/8" I.D. rubber. I'm not sure if the barbed fittings and clamps will hold up to 100psi

04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
yes that will be fine. compressor hose, oxygen and acetalene hose repair kits use a double ended barbed fitting with a fancy crimper tool for the ferrels but hose clamps will work fine.

TomcoPDR
04-04-2008, 06:00 PM
:werd: and maybe put some of those flexible "bond anything" putty over it first.

Benny
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by 6.0
yes that will be fine. compressor hose, oxygen and acetalene hose repair kits use a double ended barbed fitting with a fancy crimper tool for the ferrels but hose clamps will work fine.

Just gotta add in that if you're gonna be repairing any oxy-acetylene hoses, be really careful and use the proper hose connections. Don't just jimmy rig it up with some hose clamps, way too dangerous.

MR.Ladner
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
well i frame houses and we cut hoese or shoot them all the time...i cut out the leaking area, get a dbl sided male insert and 2 hose clamps put into bolt bare ends clamp it up and good as new...but if its only 2 feet from the end of the hose might aswell just cut it and put the end back onto it... but its all your choice