PDA

View Full Version : Police Authority Question

sabad66
04-05-2008, 04:08 AM
Okay so my friend (honestly lol) was in a parking lot with friends and two cops came up and questioned him blah blah. Anyways long story short, they found a pack of zig-zags on the seat and told him that they could search his car.

Does anyone know if zig-zags are probable cause to search the vehicle? I'm pretty sure a pipes, bud busters etc would be grounds for a search, but zig-zags?

This is mostly just out of curiousity since they didn't even find anything in the car.

4lti7ude
04-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Arnt zig zags also used for cigarettes?
Well are you guys 18+?

liquidboi69
04-05-2008, 04:47 AM
cops actually still care about weed?

shakalaka
04-05-2008, 06:13 AM
If they have reason to believe that an offence was commited, is being committed or might be committed they can do the search legally. Infact they may even detain someone for further questioning on the same grounds.

sabad66
04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
yeah everyone was 20 and the zigzags you can buy at 7-11 as they are intended for cigs

pf0sh0
04-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
yeah everyone was 20 and the zigzags you can buy at 7-11 as they are intended for cigs

But everyone knows what they are really intended for haha

Weapon_R
04-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Probable cause is enough for a search.

teknical
04-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Cops are a real pain in the ass when it comes to weed, they just can't seem to let it go :rolleyes:

R!zz0
04-05-2008, 11:35 AM
They can not touch your car without a warrant. Call your lawyer :dunno:

badatusrnames
04-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Yeah it's a total grey area that is really up the the interpretation of the individual officer given the context.

Any pipe or bong could be used for smoking tobacco and a crack pipe is just a glass tube that could be used for anything. While a pair of scissors or an xacto knife could either be a tool or a weapon.

Unless he has reasonable suspicion to do so, the officer needs consent from you to search your car, and as far as I know, he can use deception to get that consent. Even if he tells he can search your car, it doesn't necessarily mean he can truly do so without consent, he's just manipulating you to give him consent to perform a search.

Next time if they ask to search or tell you they can, simply tell them that you don't consent to any searches. If he thinks he doesn't have reasonable ground for a search to begin with, this will deter him. If he thinks he has reasonable cause to search your car, he's going to do so whether you consent or not, but by not giving any consent it increases the likelihood that whatever "evidence" he finds in your car during that search will be tossed if the search is decided in court to have been unreasonable.

Bottom line, just say your personal policy is to refuse all searches. Also, if he asks you to step out of the vehicle, if you can, take the keys out of the ignition, roll up the windows, and lock the doors. This will also keep him from snooping.

teknical
04-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I wish it was that easy when I got pulled over...Cop didnt even say anything. Opened the door, grabbed me, cuffed me, cuffed my buddy, put us in the cruiser. My car was stillrunning, he takes the keys out, tosses them onto my room (scratched it up nicely) then searches the vehicle to find a 1/4.

After this has all been done, he then comes back to the car, and starts writing paper, telling us were getting charged, etc.

We didnt even have a chance to fork over the weed, or have a chance to even say a fucking word. Then to top it all off he fucking impounds the car, and THEN it has to sit there for 2 days (happened on a friday, and I couldnt go pick up my drivers licence from the station until monday)

This happened back in january, and im still going to court for it. Ruined my summer trip to vegas.

Such Bullshit :thumbsdow

badatusrnames
04-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by teknical
I wish it was that easy when I got pulled over...Cop didnt even say anything. Opened the door, grabbed me, cuffed me, cuffed my buddy, put us in the cruiser. My car was stillrunning, he takes the keys out, tosses them onto my room (scratched it up nicely) then searches the vehicle to find a 1/4.

After this has all been done, he then comes back to the car, and starts writing paper, telling us were getting charged, etc.

We didnt even have a chance to fork over the weed, or have a chance to even say a fucking word. Then to top it all off he fucking impounds the car, and THEN it has to sit there for 2 days (happened on a friday, and I couldnt go pick up my drivers licence from the station until monday)

Such Bullshit :thumbsdow

What was the situation surrounding it? They obviously knew you had something on you to have just grabbed you like that.

shakalaka
04-05-2008, 11:54 AM
The Police and Criminal Evidence Act gives such powers to the police. Infact their powers can extend to a lot more things than an average person would know or even some things that one might think are illegal. Even though I am studying English law, the Canadian law is not a lot different, I am sure the police share similar powers there.

teknical
04-05-2008, 11:56 AM
well apparently the cop "saw" us smoking and followed us for blocks, but its bull. We left chinook parking lot, no smoking, nothing in view, and about 1/2 down elbow was where we got pulled over. He goes on about us being caught on surveilance, when nothing was out, or even in plain view of a camera. So we asked to see this so called "video" and he denied. We're still trying to get our hands on it through the lawyer, but he hasnt had much luck either.

I'm not pissed off about it. Hell, I got busted with a 1/2 2 years ago and the cops did NOTHING. I grinded it into the ground and they went on with their day.

I'm just mad that this hasnt been resolved, give me fucking community service and let me go to vegas already...

Supa Dexta
04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
I ain't steppin out of shit all my paper's legit
"Well, do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is locked so are the trunk in the back
And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack, you some type of lawyer or something'?"
"Or somebody important or somethin'?"
Nah, I ain't pass the bar but i know a little bit
Enough that you won't illegally search my shit
"We'll see how smart you are when the K9 come"
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one
Hit me

stunta666
04-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Cops can do whatever they want and get away with it. Me and some buddies were havin some pho in the hood and all of the sudden about 6 cops came in and looked at my buddy and said yeah thats him arrested him, me and another buddy. They took us to district 4 without asking for our id's or names. They seperated us into different rooms and kept us for about 3 hours without telling us what we were charged with. After they let us go we found out some guys got chopped there a while back and seen the dudes who did it eating there and called the cops, but by the time the cops came they left and we were there and fit the description of asian males. My older sister tried to file a complaint but all they said was it was done by the books so nothin ever happened.

UndrgroundRider
04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
well apparently the cop "saw" us smoking and followed us for blocks, but its bull. We left chinook parking lot, no smoking, nothing in view, and about 1/2 down elbow was where we got pulled over. He goes on about us being caught on surveilance, when nothing was out, or even in plain view of a camera. So we asked to see this so called "video" and he denied. We're still trying to get our hands on it through the lawyer, but he hasnt had much luck either.

I'm not pissed off about it. Hell, I got busted with a 1/2 2 years ago and the cops did NOTHING. I grinded it into the ground and they went on with their day.

I'm just mad that this hasnt been resolved, give me fucking community service and let me go to vegas already...

Get a new lawyer. When you file for a disclosure they have to release the tape to you. It's your constitutional right.

Sharpie
04-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Hit me
One time out in the Range Rover
(WOOP WOOP, WOOP!) Aww shit they pulled me over
What tha hell y'all fuckin wit me fo?
Speed limit 30 just doin 34
"Yeah son, where the gun?" It's at home wit tha dope
"Oh you a smart ass ha?" Nah that's my lil joke
"How bout I tow yo truck in?" Ain't no need to be provoked
besides everything up in here done been smoked
I ain't got nuttin but tapes and CDs
Pocket full of G's and two tickets across seas
So me and my boo can lay under the palm trees
Ain't no more questions then hand me my ID
You could tell he was pissed
cuz the black man in the black range
doin black things wit his black change
Doin the right thing, drivin his ass insane
And if I wasn't in his face he probably be callin me names

Antonito
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Hit me

Damnit, beat me to it :D

shakalaka
04-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by stunta666
Cops can do whatever they want and get away with it. Me and some buddies were havin some pho in the hood and all of the sudden about 6 cops came in and looked at my buddy and said yeah thats him arrested him, me and another buddy. They took us to district 4 without asking for our id's or names. They seperated us into different rooms and kept us for about 3 hours without telling us what we were charged with. After they let us go we found out some guys got chopped there a while back and seen the dudes who did it eating there and called the cops, but by the time the cops came they left and we were there and fit the description of asian males. My older sister tried to file a complaint but all they said was it was done by the books so nothin ever happened.

Yeap nothing wrong happened there. They didn't take you's for no reason or just to harass you even though if that was the case it would almost be next to impossible to prove. They had reasonable grounds to believe that some suspects matching your description were wanted and like i said in my first post that is a valid ground for detention as well and at the end of which they can either charge you or let you go without any charges. They would have done everything according to the law.

Even though there are limits on the duration of time they can detain you without charging, 3 hours doesn't exceed that.

teknical
04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I've been trying, seems like its pretty tough to get a decent lawyer in this city that isnt gonna charge 10 grand...

shakalaka
04-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I've been trying, seems like its pretty tough to get a decent lawyer in this city that isnt gonna charge 10 grand...

Are you sure that the prosecution is using that video as an evidence against you? If it was just a thing the cop told you at the time to 'shut you up' such a thing might not even exist. However, if it is being used against you as evidence then according to the laws of disclosure you are entitled to have a copy. It could also be possible that your lawyer has requested it but the prosecution is just taking their sweet time to provide it. Reason could be as simple as too much case load for them.

I highly doubt it's due to the incompetency of your lawyer, all he has to do is ask and the prosecution is obligated to provide it if such a thing exists and is being used against you in evidence.

teknical
04-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Well there is a chance he said it to "scare" us...I just don't see why it takes so god damn long...if it was blow i could see the problem there, but weed... :dunno:

I hate how i have to take work or school off just to go once every 2 weeks to get the date pushed back...Drives me nuts

Spoons
04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Me and my buddies were driving up to Sunshine for a day of snowboarding, so of course we were smokin up a bit. (Before I get irresponsibility posts, the driver was not smoking, yes we did it in a car while driving, but whatever). Anyways we finished smoking, and a few seconds later we got pulled over for speeding (20 over). I light up a cigarette (to cover up the smell and I wanted one at the moment).

Anyways the cop gives the regular lecture, and then finally says, "Boys that cigarette isn't covering up anything." All we could think was fuck, we are done for. Good bye trip, good bye car. My buddy, the idiot he is, said oh all we had was one joint. He said that there was no way that if we are going on a snowboarding trip, all we brought was one joint. He said we can do it the hard way, or the easy way. So we passed him over the one bag we thought we had, ie we had no clue about the other shit he was going to bust us on.

He finally asked if he could look around a bit. We just said yes because we figured he would get a warrant or keep us there all day anyways if we don't. He looks around in the glove compartment, under seats, and he starts pulling bags of weed everywhere. I blurped out, "Fuck Jay, where the fuck are these all coming from." and all he said was, "Man I wish I knew, but if we weren't getting busted for this and I was finding this, I would be the happiest kid ever." The cop just burst out laughing.

All in all he busted us with enough weed for some serious charges. He asked for our ID's and took them then brought them to his car. I assume he was checking us out. He came back, handed us our ID's and said, "Just watch out boys, park highway patrol is probably going to be out today, and they are not as light as I am. Have a good trip, and a safe time."

And that was it. No speeding ticket, nothing. All I could say is that we are the luckiest mother fuckers in the world. I wanted to cry for joy lol. I think the cop got REAL high that day though.

Toms-SC
04-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Stoner cop bashers unite! This thread is strong with faggotry.

teknical
04-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm gonna back out, wasn't my thread to begin with, shouldn't have bardged in :)

If you talk too much, people listen... ;)

gatorade
04-05-2008, 05:39 PM
cops arrested you and taking you to court for a quarter of weed wtf? thats like 50 dollars and its probably gonna cost thousands for this to goto court

badatusrnames
04-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by gatorade
cops arrested you and taking you to court for a quarter of weed wtf? thats like 50 dollars and its probably gonna cost thousands for this to goto court

No one has ever said that marijuana prohibition was rational.

Watch the documentary "Grass" for some insight into how illogical it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_%281999_film%29

rmk
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by gatorade

Assuming it is a small amount: It depends on the Cop. Some of the smarter guys know that making you dump it on the ground, mash it up with your shoes and sending you on the way is the best thing to do. Other Cops (ROOKIES) will do the opposite. :banghead:

tom_9109
04-05-2008, 06:24 PM
From what I gather they would need either permission to search or get a warrant based on what was in plain sight.

Spoons
04-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Stoner cop bashers unite! This thread is strong with faggotry.

I'm not bashing any cops in mine. I actually LOVE the cop that got us.

I hate the Stoner cop bashers as well. Yes I smoke weed, but I am not about to go out and complain when I get caught doing something illegal...

soupey
04-05-2008, 06:52 PM
anyone know if there's any rule to how low you have to roll down your window when a cop pulls u over?

i remember watching some video a while back (i think it was american) that was posted on beyond and said that you only needed enough room to pass your license/registration/insurance papers out to the officer...true or false?

kerry
04-05-2008, 07:13 PM
This is true. They can search as long as they "believe" there may be something in the car to find.

I think it's good and bad. Bad for the people that get harassed constantly but good for the actual busts they come across with these random searches.

Next time leave a rolled up 20 and a mirror on your buddy's seat ;)

shakalaka
04-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by soupey
anyone know if there's any rule to how low you have to roll down your window when a cop pulls u over?

i remember watching some video a while back (i think it was american) that was posted on beyond and said that you only needed enough room to pass your license/registration/insurance papers out to the officer...true or false?

I have read nothing regarding that in any of the 100's of statutes that I have gone through...so I am guessing that it is up to the police officer's discretion. I mean if he asked you to roll your window further down, you won't really say no.:dunno:

teknical
04-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Well the problem in my situation was it was nice out, so the window was all the way down, I thought he was just going to talk to me, so i left it down. I said "Hello" he reaches in, opens my door from the inside, and even undid my seatbelt...

This guy gave us NO time to talk or explain the situation. He tried to charge me with a DUI, which is absurd, but they ended up impounding the car.

adamc
04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm glad to be a 25 year old white male, who doesn't smoke weed.

:rofl:

FilthyMcNasty
04-08-2008, 03:09 PM
If you get pulled over and you just been burnin buds. it totally depends on the cop what to do. unless your bling blingin with your lawyers and shit on call, BE NICE and BE HONEST. Cops can tell when you are lying, especially if your baked. and they can charge you with whatever they pull out their ass. just remember you can fight any charge in court and the judge wont be biased like the cop.

TVG
04-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Being honest and respectful with police officers has gotten me very very good luck. I've literally avoided jail time in some situations. I've also never gotten a ticket. Maybe it's just because I'm white lol.

420Ninja
04-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Yea being honest and cooperative is definitely the best thing you can do. Ive had my share of run ins with calgarys finest and more than half of the time ive walked away with a warning, or a way smaller ticked than I should have. And then I see my buddies being lippy and whatnot and telling me all about the stories when they got taken in and how cool it was :rolleyes: