PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with working in Dubai?

HeavyD111
04-05-2008, 06:29 PM
All over work (I work at a gas company filled with bitter people) there has been discussions about working in Dubai...whats the deal? I did a quick net scan but couldn't find anything as to why it is the "hot topic" around the offices. Any thoughts?

Jlude
04-05-2008, 06:45 PM
I looked up some jobs is dubai.

I had this same discussion with some older guys at work yesterday, one of them had just come back from Saudi Arabia, he was making tons of money, but his wife hated it.

Someone in my position is making 1300-1500 SR (Saudi Arabia Riyals)...

1500 Riyals = 399 USD.

399 x 40 hours = 15k (roughly) and times that by 52 weeks in a year... that's over 800k.

I dunno if that's per day or per hour... It seems too high for per hour, but way too low for per day. I dunno.

If it actually is per hour... sweet jesus... sign me up.

I'll leave everything right here right now!!!

88CRX
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
They don't work 40 hour work weeks.... aren't they 50 hours/week or someting like that?

JAYMEZ
04-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Would love to know more information on this as well. Alot of my parents friends have done this and are all loaded up the ying yang. I would like to know more info as well.

HeavyD111
04-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Yup, I would go in a flash too. Any ideas where I could look up what kinds of jobs are available? Just use Monster or something?

davidI
04-05-2008, 10:47 PM
Dubai has preferable tax treatments and the economy is booming right now so there are some high paying jobs. Personally, I would not want to work there right now. It's stinking hot in the summer and humid as all hell. The driving is nuts and the infrastructure can't keep up to the influx of people. Drinking is expensive. There's too much money...it's disgusting to see. Women are in malls with $15k fur coats when it's 40+C outside. Buildings are being put up as quickly as possible by under-paid Indian, Phillipino and Pakistani workers.

I personally don't like the vibe there. It's excessive like Vegas, without all of the fun.

Oh, and it depends on each job as far as work hours go, but Thurs / Fri are the weekend and Saturday is like a North American Monday....so that's one difference.

googe
04-05-2008, 11:13 PM
A high salary wouldn't be enough to make me live in that hole. I know several people that have gone there.

Some things to get used to...

heavy censorship. A friend of mine saw american pie there in theaters, and it was 20-30 minutes long, because the government took out all of the parts that they felt were "inappropriate". borat is completely banned there.

It's 75% male / 25% female.

arabic prayers being blast across the city 4 times a day, and people have to stop their cars to pray.

there are a lot of pervs there that will follow your girlfriend/wife/sister around in groups and jerk off in their cars or behind fences. when i heard about that I thought it was probably a one-off weirdo, but 3 different girls reported similar anecdotes and said its very common, especially for white girls.

all internet access in the country goes through government proxies to monitor and filter content. even online dating sites are illegal because the muslim government thinks that is "immoral". no websites containing nudity (so no beyond :rofl: ). skype and other voip is banned because it circumvents the government-run telco. it even bans sites like the new york times and cnn.com.

nudity/gambling of any kind is censored.

negative comments about islam = jail

notorious human rights violations

you dont have a right to a trial in english, or have a right to a translator. all trials must be in arabic.

its run by a large royal family, not elected government. royal family is disgustingly wealthy, and exploits the rest of the country, while they fly around town in their supercars.

some crimes are punishable by physical beating.

its like fanatical nouveau riche cavemen x 1000. not everyone of course, but they have enough power that everyone is forced to live by it.

Xamim
04-05-2008, 11:35 PM
One word, MONEY.Heres a link (http://www.oilcareers.com/content/jobsearch/job_search.asp?topCat1=&subCat1=0&Country=Any&SearchTerms=dubai&SearchType=1&OrderBy=JobAd.DateExtended+DESC&JobType=&advancedSearch=1&submit=Search) that has a few job listings. (Narrow down the search by changing the category)

googe
04-05-2008, 11:41 PM
they do pay very well, but not THAT much higher than available in NA. that site lists management positions for 120k - 150k.

Antonito
04-06-2008, 12:52 AM
From what I've heard (and a brief glance at the link Xamim put up), it's exponential based on experience. A lot of those jobs have 10 year min experience listed. If you have a ton of experience and credentials, you'll get paid a small fortune. For someone with like 3 years experience (and even worse, no engineering degree), you're probably not going to be getting loads more than here in Calgary, especially given the conditions there...

Jlude
04-06-2008, 01:21 AM
I just emailed the company that had posted the listing I mentioned above to see if that was per day or per hour.

But googe is right... I had a friend live in saudi arabia for a year, his step dad was in oil. Anyways, he said it was brutal... but his step dad left after that year a couple years very, very wealthy.

davidI
04-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by googe

1) It's 75% male / 25% female.

2) arabic prayers being blast across the city 4 times a day, and people have to stop their cars to pray.

3) all internet access in the country goes through government proxies to monitor and filter content. even online dating sites are illegal because the muslim government thinks that is "immoral". no websites containing nudity (so no beyond :rofl: ). skype and other voip is banned because it circumvents the government-run telco. it even bans sites like the new york times and cnn.com.

4) nudity/gambling of any kind is censored.

I agree with pretty much everything there. Just wanted to expand on these...

1) There are more women...they just aren't allowed to leave the house. At least in Dubai the women that do leave the house can show their faces...in Yemen they're fully veiled.

2) Five times a day! My favourite is the one at 4:30 am. You learn to sleep through it though...

3) You can still find the good stuff online...just takes more work. Good news is that forums like Beyond are still available (at least here in Yemen...where the filters are pretty strict).

4) But you can get Russian prostitutes at the clubs. Jewels has some nice girls from what I hear...

Also want to add that I've heard stories of a woman imprisoned for her cough medicine that contained codeine and another guy imprisoned for a spec of weed that weighed .001 g on his shoe. I can't confirm these stories...but they were in the newspapers here.

Good place to go if you want to see Bugattis, Ferraris, Lambos, RRs, Bentleys and other exotics though.

googe
04-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by davidI

4) But you can get Russian prostitutes at the clubs. Jewels has some nice girls from what I hear...

too bad they only exist because girls are so rare and in such high demand, and prostitution is severely punishable, so theyre bought and sold like slaves to exploit the market...

if girls want to sell themselves, thats up to them as far as im concerned, but when its under those conditions, its pretty unfortunate

haha, a friend of mine was supposedly taking a liking to a girl when he lived there, then found out she was a prince's daughter or something. he found out if he touched her without permission (which he wasnt "eligible" for) he could get his hand cut off, so he never talked to her again :rofl:

davidI
04-06-2008, 02:35 AM
^ Definitely true. The more I travel the more sickening it is to see the sex trade that goes on. Talking to the girls in Amsterdam was pretty crazy. I feel brutal for the girls in SE Asia with the large US Expat presence (often retired military). The worst part is that most of the money they make is sent home to their family. Sick world we live in...

broken_legs
04-06-2008, 09:44 AM
http://www.rigzone.com/jobs

Jobs on the rigs are the exception not the rule on this site. They have tonnes of over seas listings.

HeavyD111
04-06-2008, 10:40 PM
I am guessing most of the people hired on in Dubai from other countries are Engineers, banking professionals, etc?? What about Electricians, aviation mechanics, other trades types?

blownz
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
davidI and googe have a ton of accurate points. My father-in-law worked there on a short contract last year. He said it isn't nearly as bad as other Muslim countries but it still isn't as great as they make it seem. He did get paid a flat $1000USD per day though. :thumbsup:

jay42w8
04-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Did you guys all see the CBC documentary or something lol...there was one chick who was a native of Dubai....damn! I'd be watching HER behind a fence lol

HeavyD111
04-07-2008, 06:37 PM
BlownZ what did he do there?

realazy
04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Ok, so the pay seems really good there, but would the cost of living be through the roof? If you're making lets say like $1000usd per day, would an average meal be like $100usd? What aboud rent? Would that be like $10 000usd/month?

blownz
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by HeavyD111
BlownZ what did he do there?

He was consulting regarding the design of a gas plant they were just starting to build. He consults on designs and construction of lots of plants all over the middle east. He works about 3-4 months a year doing it and then hangs out or travels the rest of the year with the money he makes.

Iran is the best for money but the worst for everything else. They give you no freedom at all and there were guys with machine guns and landmines all around the camp. Mainly to keep people out but still he couldn't leave (not that there was anywhere worthwhile going to (or safe for a white guy)).

realazy - for my father-in-law anyway, he had all food and accomodations paid for. Plus flights to and from Canada. They only thing he paid for was for some diving and he went sking in that indoor ski hill. Other then that, everything was paid for. He stayed in a trailer though on site. He said it was pretty nice, and definitely better then the tents with dirt floors where all the 'imported slave labour' stayed.

brownchild
04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
^^^
Its not slavery at all, those ppl leave their countries willingly. I personally know a lot of individuals who leave India to go work in Dubai, they willingly work long and hard hours and spend up to 2-5 yrs living like that, but once they come back believe it or not they live good lifestyles, way better then if they were to stay in India and try to find proper work their, so in the end its worth it for them, even though to us North Americans it seems like slavery.

Think it about it like this, a large population of people in India who would normally be living in poverty are supported by their husbands, brothers, fathers etc.. working in Dubai and sending every single penny back home. When these foreign workers go back home they have the rest of their lives to enjoy, because all that money they made in Dubai equals out to be so much in Indian currency, most of these people can honestly live their whole lives without working again. Ive seen living proof in my village I visited last year, a man arrived back home after 5 yrs of working in Dubai construction and he built a palace that would cost around $1,000,000 here in Canada for aproxx $50000 canadian dollars which equals to about 2,000,000 Indian rupees, he claimed that he made that much working his ass off in about 10 mths. Think about all the money he has left over. Its totally worth it for these people to go and work their, even though its very tough.

blownz
04-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry, I should have elaborated. I didn't say that because I think they are slaves. I said it because according to the father-in-law that is what some of the head guys on these projects call them because they pay them a lot less than the people from Dubai or Canadians or Europeans that they have working there. If it wasn't for that cheap labour they wouldn't be able to build nearly as much. And their living conditions were much worse than the other people on the project.

HuMz
04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
You can make similar if not more money in Fort Mac so I don't get the point in going halfway around the world for alot of the reasons above:dunno:

Jlude
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
You can make similar if not more money in Fort Mac so I don't get the point in going halfway around the world for alot of the reasons above:dunno:

I think for certain positions dubai pays more... others, fort mac might

BlackArcher101
04-08-2008, 10:51 PM
It's the Fort Mac of the middle east... just looks prettier and more to do. Wage goes up! You sure bet the cost of living does.

xrayvsn
04-08-2008, 10:58 PM
If you live and work in outside of Canada for (I think) a minimum of 2 years, you do not have to pay Canadian tax. My parents worked in Qatar for a few years, and essentially tripled their income. Housing and their vehicle was paid for by the company, as was a yearly flight anywhere in the world. All of his salary was tax free, but he had to prove that he no longer had a residence in Canada.

You can't just look at the gross income and compare it to jobs here.

davidI
04-08-2008, 11:19 PM
There is OETC for work in mining & resources that basically makes you tax free up to $80k if you pay foreign tax. Or, you can go non-resident (need to get rid of a lot of Canadian assets including house, cars, bank accounts etc. to meet CRA test) and be completely tax free.

My compound in Yemen was just bombed by Al-Qaeda 3 days ago so I've been evacuated to the middle of the desert for a bit. I may be returning to Calgary sooner than expected!!

kayzee
04-08-2008, 11:24 PM
Anyone knows how much is the minimum wage in Dubai?

boxer23
04-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by kayzee
Anyone knows how much is the minimum wage in Dubai?
:rofl: if there was one it would be a couple dollars a day

Also Brownchild, there are a lot of people coming from SE Asian to Dubai to find opportunity only to literally be enslaved, they take away all your documents. Occurence is low but still a lot of people in Dubai end up that way

Khalil.e
04-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by realazy
Ok, so the pay seems really good there, but would the cost of living be through the roof? If you're making lets say like $1000usd per day, would an average meal be like $100usd? What aboud rent? Would that be like $10 000usd/month?

Unless you go to the very high end places, food is very cheap. Rent, you are correct - is very expensive. It is not uncommon for taxi drivers, everyday workers to share a 2 bedroom apartment with 4 other peple.

Very true that is e x t r e m e l y humid there, though I was visiting for a few weeks - and I got used to it fairly quickly.

Prostitution - I can barely skim the surface of this topic. In my life, travelling through various cities in the US, Europe, and Asia - I have never, ever, seen as many sex trade workers in one place as I did in Dubai. Some streets lined from end to end with them - black, Philipino, and various European girls.

Alcohol is quite expensive in the various ghetto clubs that they have there - and exponentially more in the handful of descent hidden night spots.

Real estate, especially the multi-family market has been working through a correction the last few months, and is expected to continue working its way lower for some time.
See:

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/img_6065.jpg

This, in any western country would be done in various phases over many years. Many people that have not been to Dubai do not fully undersand the scale of projects going on there.

See:

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/cimg2340.jpg

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/cimg2338.jpg

Unfortunately these pictures were taken while in a vehicle, and from very odd angles.

I had recorded a video while in transit from Abu Dhabi into Dubai - 2 minutes in length, that from the beginning to the end while we were travelling 80-90 miles per hour, is non-stop end to end brand new condo buildings being erected. This was only a small video of perhaps a quarter of the strip - with just as many buildings being built on the other side of the street - and further more on the opposite side of the opposite flowing street.

Gas.... feast your eyes!

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/2007_1204_193339.jpg

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/2007_1204_194023.jpg

... More to come later, if I feel like typing. :)

The above photos, and more can be found at:

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/

They are from a trade mission with the gov't of Canada, and a group of real estate / construction companies from throughout Canada. There will be photos that will be of no interest to you, though have a look and you may find something of interest. Bear in mind, that some of the photos may have been taken in various cities throughout Saudi Arabia. (The building with a massive 'U' shaped hole through it, Riyadh chamber of commerce)

old&slow
04-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Welding in Airdire at Propak gives the Potential for $288000. per year. All you need is a truck and a CWB ticket and lots lots of stomach to work outside 12 hours a day for 24 days on and 4 off. Don't even have to leave the country! :)
Obviously not for everyone...including me!
Thought it was funny the earning potential of a welder willing to put in long days!

ExtraSlow
04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Welders and other skilled trades have HUGE earning potential in this market. We were paying $1500 per day to a pressure welder, and I'm pretty sure we had to pay for his meals and hotel on top of that while he was working.

But the flip side of that is when it slows down, people like that are out of work pretty quick.

Antonito
04-09-2008, 09:39 AM
There is OETC for work in mining & resources that basically makes you tax free up to $80k if you pay foreign tax. Or, you can go non-resident (need to get rid of a lot of Canadian assets including house, cars, bank accounts etc. to meet CRA test) and be completely tax free.

What happens when you come back to Canada with all the money? Will you be taxed then, or is it just considered "found money" (for the lack of a proper term)?

HuMz
04-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I think for certain positions dubai pays more... others, fort mac might

True, but you also have to keep in mind that although shitty, Fort mac is still Alberta and you can be a hour flight or (9 hour drive) away every couple weeks when you have time off.

I know quite a few people tradespeople & who have worked various spots in the middle east (mostly afganistan & dubai) and generally there much better off moneywise going to Fort Mac for work VS anywhere else in the world.

Kritafo
04-09-2008, 06:46 PM

My compound in Yemen was just bombed by Al-Qaeda 3 days ago so I've been evacuated to the middle of the desert for a bit. I may be returning to Calgary sooner than expected!!

Nexen?

Jlude
04-09-2008, 08:47 PM

True, but you also have to keep in mind that although shitty, Fort mac is still Alberta and you can be a hour flight or (9 hour drive) away every couple weeks when you have time off.

I know quite a few people tradespeople & who have worked various spots in the middle east (mostly afganistan & dubai) and generally there much better off moneywise going to Fort Mac for work VS anywhere else in the world.

I agree, being only a short flight or 1 day drive from "home" is pretty sweet.

davidI
04-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

What happens when you come back to Canada with all the money? Will you be taxed then, or is it just considered "found money" (for the lack of a proper term)?

No. The idea is that since I'm paying Yemen tax, I should not also be subject to Canadian Tax as well. I've still ended up paying some tax but no where near what I normally would in Canada. The company picks up the 20% Yemen tax.

gkAeris
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
does anybody know any headhunters/recruiting companies for O and G jobs overseas?

TomcoPDR
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by Jlude

I agree, being only a short flight or 1 day drive from "home" is pretty sweet.

:werd: yep, wouldn't wanna trade our freedom/way of life to be working anywhere else. So much risk and uncertainities involved.

But pending on the person, tons of opportunities over there. (with all the population, need for growth = $$, etc...)

88CRX
04-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Khalil.e
The above photos, and more can be found at:

http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/

Cool pictures!

You can see normal sized 'highrise' buildings in the background lol
http://www.arrivahomes.com/Photos/Dubai/medium/cimg2360.jpg

maxthevoice
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
I checked the photo album. Very awesome.

in december I'll be finishing university with a degree in industrial relations (human resources). I wonder if there are any opportunities in Dubai for HR people?

Mazstyle
04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
^^ LOL HR in Dubai, oh man thats a good one :rofl:

Jlude
04-13-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Mazstyle
^^ LOL HR in Dubai, oh man thats a good one :rofl:

trying running for mayor or local office while you're at that HR bus in Dubai

davidI
04-13-2008, 12:45 AM
2 days until I'm in Dubai. I'll take some photos for you guys...

There's some cool stuff, but I still don't think I'd want to live there. It would beat Yemen though, that's for sure!

willyC
04-23-2008, 10:11 PM
In fort mac, LOA is roughly $180 a day, tax free. ALOT of people also get isolation pay at $2000 a month, tax free. Typically work 10-12 hours a day at 40-50 bucks an hour, 10days on, 4days off.

$40 x 10days x 12 hours a day x 2times a month = $9600

government will take 40% which makes that $9600 = $5700

$5700 + $2000 isolation pay + ($180 LOA x 20days out of the month) = $11,300 bucks a month after tax. And any knuckle dragger can go to Fortmac and within 6months have them self setup with such a contract. I know many people that make $65 an hour, and do NOTHING all day.

Alot of people crowd in apartments, so rent will hit you for 500bucks a month.

Will dubai pay a person that much? I doubt it.

Ill keep playing the fortmac game myself.

The alberta advantage