PDA

View Full Version : How to remove rust spots?

artieg30
04-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm trying to remove some rust spots on my car (mostly on the roof) and they are really small spots just like the size of your pinky nail, but I was thinking would it be better if I just took it to an autobody shop to get them to sand it out and then re-paint, or would using touch-up paint have the same effect? My main concern is that the rust might spread later on or become a bigger issue etc. What do you guys think?

tom_9109
04-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Bodyshop and paint.

rice_balls
04-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Pinky nail sized rust spots are pretty big (how big are your pinky nails?).... You have any pics?

Probably need to grind off as much rust as you can off the panel and than neutralize the rust with a chemical. Maybe better off done at a shop.

artieg30
04-05-2008, 06:58 PM
lol sorry bad analogy, but the rust spots are basically little specs (probably 1-2mm in diameter) and if I get it done at a shop, does anyone know the avg. cost?

sleeper
04-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Those mini rust spots are just from small rock chips. To fix simply just buy some cut polish from C/T rub it over the little rust spots until there gone its that simple. Then to prevent it from happening again touch up those little chips with some matching touch up paint you can buy from the dealer for under 20 bucks most likely under 10 dollars that's it that's all.

rice_balls
04-06-2008, 12:34 PM
His main concern is the rust becoming a bigger problem in the future isn't it?
If you just use the cut polish and touch up paint you are just restoring the clear coat finish on the paint but you are not getting anything underneath it. If there are rust spots on the paint it is obviously coming from something rusting underneath the paint.
It'll be nice when the rust starts eating the metal and the paint starts to bubble up.

Kloubek
04-06-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree with sleeper actually. If you use cut polish, it will remove the surrounding rust and get you back to just the breech in the first place. It is likely (if the rust has not had a lot of time to form) that is just surface rust. Cut polish should take it off. Then you touch up paint, and are good to go. If it's deeper, then you might want to take a dremell tool with a very fine bit, and take it down to the metal. Then touch it up.

rice_balls
04-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Hope you caught the rust spots early enough... Give it a shot i guess

artieg30
04-06-2008, 04:48 PM
oh yeah, thanks for all your replies, is there a specific brand i should get for this cut polish, or will anyone do just fine?

narou
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
im pretty sure for rock chips you would clean it out and touch up paint