PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed with Car Quality at the past car shows!

hondaprelude08
08-12-2003, 04:17 AM
I would like to speak my mind for a bit if i could...im not sure if i am the only one out there or not who thinks this so please i would like to hear peoples feedback on this issue. I feel that the aftermarket industry has slipped into a pathetic state in regards to quality of show cars. Im not sure what it is..but there is a lot of low budget, as i like to call them, supposive show cars out in Calgary. Take example this past car show in Calgary at the roudup center, out of like a hundred cars there was maybe only a handful that could be deemed good enough for show in my opinion. I really dont think it is a money issue, but peoples opinion of good quality is slipping. For example, i overheard the owner of maza miata (wont mention which crew) talking about his new fiberglass stereo and how some reputable guy did it in calgary. No offence, but there was gaps along the trunk seems, the hinge holes looked like a 2 year old cut them, and if you look from the side you get a wonderful view through the hinge holes of tinfoil left on the box from fiberglassing. Its little stuff like this that makes the biggest difference. Also, i saw a red honda civic with a wrag roof on it to look like it was a convertible...but it was still a hard top (yo uknow the look)....yah, that was a cool ol skool concept trying to be brought back, but if your going to do something like that, at least do it right....once again, it looks like a garage job. And people, if you are going to paint your interior, dont use krylon paint or other cheap automotive paint, it looks cheap, and yes....we can tell.....at least use real automitive paint (like sherwin williams) and buy a spray bomb and do it.....it probably costs just a little bit more but it makes a hell of difference. And also another thing, if you dont have a full kit....dont bother putting it in the show....it looks cheap, a front bumper does not constitute a body kit....i saw a car ( i think it was here or in Lethbridge) it was a type R and for an attempt at a body kit there was a front bumper..if that wasnt bad enough, the paint was like day and night from the factory paint. Well bottom line is that just because you have an import, doesnt mean you have a showcar....there is some crews i feel that should just not be in car shows, yah thats awsome you support, but dont think you are going to win.....and most of all... dont think that people are actually going to buy from your tunershop when you dont have that great of showcars to begin with....let me know what you guys think....and for all of you who have these "non show cars", its just little stuff that makes the difference, its not that hard, or that expensive......so dont bite what i am saying, its not too expensive....your standards are just too low...

BigShow
08-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Why does everyone have to cry, bitch and complain about the car shows?

PhenomSE
08-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Dude...you need to chill out and stop baggin' on a certain "crew" first off!!!
Secondly...what car do you drive? Do you even have an idea of how much work went into that "Maza" Miata as you like to call it?? And were you at SCN?? Where that red & black "rag top" won best civic??
For fuck sakes man...atleast people like me are making an attempt to enter shows for the experience and the fun of it. We aren't bitter and bottled up inside waiting for car shows to let my emotions go. I don't want to cause a fight here but lay off and get a grip!! Some people like to see the cars go through stages and what has changed from show to show.

Melinda
08-12-2003, 08:45 AM
:werd: The car shows seem to be doing better and better IMO...if you dont like it, dont go and miss out...no skin off our backs.. :thumbsdow

Loose
08-12-2003, 09:35 AM
1. Spell Check
2. It's called a paragraph
3. Don't hate. Why don't you show everyone how to build a good show car.
4. I agree with your points about the quality of work done to many of the show cars.

rage2
08-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by hondaprelude08
but there is a lot of low budget, as i like to call them, supposive show cars out in Calgary.
Low budget does not mean low quality. I respect the guys that put very little money into their cars, with huge results, be it bodywork show, or engine work show.

Take example this past car show in Calgary at the roudup center, out of like a hundred cars there was maybe only a handful that could be deemed good enough for show in my opinion.
Well that's your opinion. I felt the quality of cars at Import Showoff were excellent. A great mix of show cars, audio cars, track cars, project cars, and even a few exotics. There were even a large handful that had each of those elements.

And also another thing, if you dont have a full kit....dont bother putting it in the show....it looks cheap, a front bumper does not constitute a body kit....
We had a lot of cars in our booths that did not have a full kit. Front or rear bumper, maybe sideskirts. It's all about finding the right balance. Our cars at IS were very subtle. And you know what, a lot of people like the subtle look. If you don't like that look, walk over to the silent rage booth, they have full kits on their cars, which will cater to your tastes. The show was there to cater to EVERYONE, not just yourself.

there is some crews i feel that should just not be in car shows, yah thats awsome you support, but dont think you are going to win.....and most of all... dont think that people are actually going to buy from your tunershop when you dont have that great of showcars to begin with....
I felt each shop represented their expertise quite nicely, and should very much be in each of these shows. But hey, that's my opinion, and you obviously don't agree.

civic_rida
08-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Holy shit dude . Hopefully people wont find out who u are for ur sake.

ninjak84
08-12-2003, 10:27 AM
This guy is a bitch.

He made a new account for this thread, just so he can hate on some cars.
Why don't you show us your ride Mr.Import Tuner?

Rage2 was polite, but I'm just going to tell you to fuck off.
I know exactly most of the cars you're talking shit about, so you aren't fooling anyone. Those guys put more hard work in their cars than you ever will.

Don't go to the shows if they aren't good enough for you.

Asshole.

silentrage
08-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Hmmm someone hates Silent Rage. :)

My trunk was done in 4 days. I'd say that's not bad for the time frame that I gave my guy. And if you are wondering he's the same guy that did the Visions Civic that has 16 Subs in it. He's reputable, but he didn't have time to get all the fine details done. But trust me, he's still working on it.

Nicole from Impressions has the same top at marlon...are you cussing her out too?

As for Paul's ITR with just the front...he has the rest of the kit, but there wasn't enough time to get all the parts on the car. Here's another teg with JUST the front bumper. Not show quality?

http://www.importadrenelin.com/xhtml/images/thumbs/tn_l_149_3.jpg

Yes the body shop made a mistake on the shade of color...is that Pauls fault? No. It will be fixed.

We may not do the absolute best work out there...but look at how we represent. 18 cars. what other shop can boast that. Know what that means? our customers support us. They like shopping with us.

Peace out dood.

Paul
08-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Man....I'm sooooo ghetto!!!!!

B17a
08-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
This guy is a bitch.

He made a new account for this thread, just so he can hate on some cars.
Why don't you show us your ride Mr.Import Tuner?

Rage2 was polite, but I'm just going to tell you to fuck off.
I know exactly most of the cars you're talking shit about, so you aren't fooling anyone. Those guys put more hard work in their cars than you ever will.

Don't go to the shows if they aren't good enough for you.

Asshole.

:rofl: :rofl: Very diplomatic! :thumbsup:

benzo
08-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Hey first of all you should maybe get the proper facts before you start saying things. The Fiberglass trunk was actually just put together that morning of the show and it isn't done yet (never thought of that did you). You can tell Visions that their work sucks as well.

The Type R you are reffering to has a complete body kit but unfortunately our body shop didn't have time to complete it, as well as repaint the color error. You actually think someone pays someone to paint it the wrong color? The painter that was used had a car that he painted win "Best Paint" at SCN so he isn't some back alley painter.

As for the other little things that seem so "not show quality" some ppl aren't quite as rich as you so they have to drive their cars everyday.

Also, some of our cars go to shows not because they expect to win awards but just because we love our cars and the scene. We go to have fun and to chill with our crew. If ppl who didn't have the best cars did not show up to these shows than you wouldn't have a show.

Superesc
08-12-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by silentrage
http://www.importadrenelin.com/xhtml/images/thumbs/tn_l_149_3.jpg

That's a pretty sweet lookin' Teg. Looks show quality to me. :thumbsup:

Don't know what everyone's complaining about, but I think the shows are getting better and better each year. Yes we see alot of the same cars each year, but they are never the same.. there's always something new on them... just look at Spyguy's WRX :drool:

boi-alien
08-12-2003, 11:23 AM
if you don't like the cars don't go, nobody's putting a gun to your heard!

ZorroAMG
08-12-2003, 11:46 AM
That guy is an absolute moron! Lemme get this straight: A city (Calgary), that is rather new in the import tuning scene, is supposed to be 110% top notch quality with all show cars worth $50K+ because some loser with the internet and a bored right hand thinks so?? The scene here in Calgary is pretty much in it's infancy and is growing daily. I, for one, enjoy seeing the beginnings of the scene to watch the transofrmation occur. There are some VERY impressive cars in Calgary now and it will only get better. Do you think the scenes in SoCal and NY were huge right off the bat? Here's the answer for you IDIOT, since I know you won't get it: NO, THEY WEREN'T.

Go back to your supscriptions and have your wet dreams about all the "WORTHY show cars" you find in there and have a nice life. :rolleyes:

Jockette
08-12-2003, 12:06 PM
the only thing i *really* bothered me about the thread...if anyone hasn't said it already.....there are cars out there where a front bumper is only available....

Illusionsir
08-12-2003, 12:09 PM
I just wanted to comend silent rage on a job well done at the show, as it is painfully obvious thats who this moron is talking about. Congrats guys!

silentrage
08-12-2003, 12:13 PM
painfully... :)

Thanks everyone for all the support.

ScCab
08-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Silent Rage:thumbsup:

silverEL
08-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by ScCab
Silent Rage:thumbsup:

Good Job guys!!:clap: :clap:

shadowz
08-12-2003, 12:57 PM
I dont know if you realize how much work goes into all the cars that were actually in the show, first off working on the car itself adding parts, and spending the time to install it in a car, second once you finish that you cant just put the car into the show, theres a lot of cleaning and detailing that needs to be done. All of that is hard enough work itself. Everyone this weekend showed that kind of determination. Congrats to everyone that was in the show and good job1

Ed the SOHC
08-12-2003, 01:08 PM
You can express your opinion but until you enter your car you don't understand that sometimes it's a fun experience... win or lose. This was my first car show that I'd entered... didn't expect to win nor did i, but to meet lots of people who shared the same passion as me was fun.

sin
08-12-2003, 01:15 PM
some moderator should check his ip, and see if it matches any other members

Illusionsir
08-12-2003, 01:15 PM
Very Well put Shadowz

91_Integz
08-12-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
You can express your opinion but until you enter your car you don't understand that sometimes it's a fun experience... win or lose. This was my first car show that I'd entered... didn't expect to win nor did i, but to meet lots of people who shared the same passion as me was fun.

:werd: Well put man. Exactly my thoughts and I wasn't even in the show

BigMass
08-12-2003, 02:06 PM
Why is everyone so hostile over one guys opinion? Personally i thought it was a great car show and that all the people who put in the time to bring in their cars deserve respect. They didnt get paid for it or anything. They volunteered their time and cars to make the show what it was. Everything starts from the ground up. Every year will be better and better. It was a big step to have cars from Veilside and Apexi there.

rage2
08-12-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
Why is everyone so hostile over one guys opinion?
When you spend countless hours preparing and entering a show, only to be slammed by one guy, I'm sure you'd be hostile too :).

BigMass
08-12-2003, 02:16 PM
yes i probably would

yankeefan
08-12-2003, 03:03 PM
he likes his teeth enough to create a new account to bash you guys.. so obviously he knows hes being a pissy pants little bitch...so dont let him bother you =D

Paul
08-12-2003, 06:46 PM
got a couple sneeking suspecions on who the thread starter is anyways. we'll wait and see if he/she has the ballz to come forward. it's real eazy to get behind the protection of your computer and start bashing people. but make your self known so we at least know where you are comming from.

nuf said.

B18C
08-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

Exactly. I didn't enter the show to win anything....and I didn't. I did it to support our car clubs Beyond/403Honda, and for the experience. I really didn't appreciate how much effort needs to be put into the cars and the booths until now. I was running around for a good week to week and a half trying to make my car at least presentable at the show. I have no idea how much more effort it must have taken to get the more showy cars ready.

boi-alien
08-12-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by B18C

Exactly. I didn't enter the show to win anything....and I didn't. I did it to support our car clubs Beyond/403Honda, and for the experience. I really didn't appreciate how much effort needs to be put into the cars and the booths until now. I was running around for a good week to week and a half trying to make my car at least presentable at the show. I have no idea how much more effort it must have taken to get the more showy cars ready. :werd:
i honestly never knew how difficult and how much work it was to get a car ready for the show. this was quite the enlightening experience for me as well. and like b18c just said those really crazy cars with the white interiors and whatnot must be HELL to get ready

ryder_23
08-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Dont even wanna get started

Hash_man
08-12-2003, 07:42 PM
What a little bitch!... I don't have a show quality car at all, but I am starting to see how much work must go in to these cars to get them to the point where they feel confident enough to even enter a show. And props to Silent rage, you guys had one hell of a crew at that show lol.....

But one question. Where is the orange 1.6el.??? That has got to be one of my favorite cars around town.

ryder_23
08-12-2003, 08:01 PM
This is probably comming from a 14 year old, who doesnt even own a car, but is a prelude wanna be.

el conversion
08-12-2003, 08:05 PM
that's my causin's car and he is tryin to sell it he thought he had a buyer but then the buyer ditched out on him that weekend, so unfortunatly he couldn't make it, and for hondaprelude08 show your face don't try and be all hard and shit behind a computer

Hash_man
08-12-2003, 08:09 PM
that's my causin's car and he is tryin to sell it he thought he had a buyer but then the buyer ditched out on him that weekend, so unfortunatly he couldn't make it

Oh what?! why is he sellin ?? I love that car so much lol. Tell him that if he decides to part it, that I want his system.

finboy
08-12-2003, 08:32 PM
some people are getting a bit to up tight here.

its his opinion tat a show car shouldn't be in a show unless its completed. some people are taking this waaaaay to serious.

Redlyne_mr2
08-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Sucks that this guy had to bash so harshly but he has yet to make anything personal so chill a bit people. This dude may be used to the larger shows and was let down with Calgary scene, who knows what his motives were?. I think it sucks that he hasnt responded snce he posted and explained why his opinion is the way it is but nevertheless its his opinion. I think some things about car shows rules while other aspects of it are homo...am I going to be burned on a cross for saying that? So one guy who none of you know was dissapointed..big deal...you know what sucks about the Cali scene compared to Calgary's? Alot of the show cars cant even be driven and many of them are either funded by sponsors or by illegag activity. Most of the show cars in Calgary are streetable and are legit...props guys

04blackMAX
08-12-2003, 08:36 PM
i have to agree with one thing, i hate seeing the same cars over and over at calgary shows, its like if youve been to one show, why go to any others, same shit different venue

SilverRex
08-12-2003, 09:09 PM
I feel that the aftermarket industry has slipped into a pathetic state in regards to quality of show cars. pensive....your standards are just too low...

welp if one is to have the show quality of the cars to improve. The best thing to do is to have lots of "non-show cars" you call it to enter the show. Why? because it all starts from the bottom up. If all the vendors in the world were to put their demo cars example. the velside wide body kit 350z. then all you have are shows with no local presence what so ever. When you have the people entering the show, you get competition, with competition comes more originality which in turn will get people wanting to spend alot of money and time so they could win. unfortunately, the car scene in our city is still growing. No where near what vancouver and toronto are doing. So one thing we're lacking right now is patients. I agree with rage2, you have no idea how much time, money people spent trying to put together their cars. It does not matter how much money you put into it. A car show is meant to share their projects to everyone not just yourself.

But you have my :thumbsup: for speaking your mind.

Girlie_racer
08-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
:werd:
i honestly never knew how difficult and how much work it was to get a car ready for the show. this was quite the enlightening experience for me as well. and like b18c just said those really crazy cars with the white interiors and whatnot must be HELL to get ready

YOUR TELLING ME!!! White interior is hell to get ready 4 hours of detailing not much fun

boi-alien
08-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Girlie_racer

YOUR TELLING ME!!! White interior is hell to get ready 4 hours of detailing not much fun next time you need help gimme a shout! :p

Ben
08-12-2003, 10:26 PM
I think Calgary has a pretty good scene all things considered! Sure you see alot of the same cars but hey, what do you expect, this isn't LA where shows run year round and cars can be built and driven all the time. Up here modified cars have a 5-6 month shelf life and then its winter beater time. All the extra costs associated with the climate we incur up here, as well as extra costs to get parts/sponsors Vs the US modified car economy makes for a very unfair point of hobby for us canadians. People bitch about the "Crappiness and similarities" to all the shows, but if we dont support it now, then it will only get worse. The Modified car scene in Calgary is much like starting your own business. IIRC, 75% of new private business' fail within the first 2 years, but once you make it 2 years, you are almost cirtainly going to make it. Those first 2 years are generally very tough, with lots of sacrifices and grunt work to make ends meet, but hey, in the end it pays off.

Have the same attitude with the import scene, it is very similar in alot of regards. it takes a tonne of effort, commitment and support, but after a couple successful years, word gets out and then things take off. Give it some time and support, cause if not, it wont happen. You only get once chance, after that the image is tarnished and people give up.

People need to start showing some props and respect when props and respect are due.

People like the Car owners, countless hours and dollars spent to please your eye for 15 or 20 seconds, people that stay up late all the time booking venues, getting sponsors, and printing ads. People that foot big bills running website forums about the car scene to relay info and help people get ideas and help on their cars, people that photograph events (often unpaid) to share with those who couldn't make it, and people that consitantly help their friends make these things possible. Stop taking it for granted, and respect what is done.

slowcivic
08-12-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
i have to agree with one thing, i hate seeing the same cars over and over at calgary shows, its like if youve been to one show, why go to any others, same shit different venue

we're all probably gonna see mainly the same cars over and over again, with the exception of a couple of demo rides if these shows come back ...i doubt SCN will bring Montreal to Calgary nor will Showoff bring Vancouver/Cali to Calgary. If you talk to anyone in Montreal, im sure the vast majority are local montreal rides and much the same for Vancouver ....our city wont be different. I think its premature for anyone to think that an out of town promoter will be bringing 200 cars from another city to Calgary ....although that would be cool to see, that would never happen. I think the purpose of these more reputable shows is to build and better the local scene and they've done just that ....props to both SCN and Showoff.

HOK
08-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Actually I was really really hesitant to enter my car in the show... i thought it wasn't good enough for show.... but theres one thing that people are missing... I was in LA for 6 months plus... and the car shows are amazing and all that... but they like us have a WIDE variety of cars just much more in number.. i think this was the best show in calgary... but saying that there is a long way to catch up... but we are what... 850000 population? go learn some statistics and you'll realize our scene is pretty good... our variation was impressive..i was quite impressed with silent rage and speedtech.. i'm even surprised businesses like these are here... i also wonder how long they can last.... its tough... half the time we are patching up our igloos...

Spenser
08-18-2003, 01:34 AM
Ok like who cares what the cars looked like at the car show, we have to support the buisness and thats what the show is all about. In calgary, it's a small buisness, so it's reflected in the quality of cars at car shows and on the street. It will grow and get better with time. Its held up by our terrible climate and rather small popution. It's still pretty big, although you can't really compare it to any place else.

Just because a young guy with daddys money goes and dresses it all up nice and enters it in a car show because he just got it painted and has all the outer goodies doesn't mean it a show car, it is in there to represent a medium between what little no how, and some money can do.

I may be young but i know what a real custom show winner is, in my mind there are 2 categories, "bought off the shelf" and home made. You know the difference, a honda with "custom" paint job, a tach thats smaller then the stock one right beside it, the latest Vis body kit that doesn't exactly fit right, and some died interior from a shop that gets its know how from other shops, is a shelf bought unit.

I have respect for the guy who you see on the street with a lowered truck thats stitting rocker and the handles are shaved and he's got a big block in it and you know what, he did it himself, it not something new, but he has actually got some time invested in it. not just money.

like come on, if you have to pay 35 bucks to get a screw put in to hold your bodykit back on because you don't know what your doing, then you really are not representin'!!!!!!!!

let the real customs be in a category of there own!!!