PDA

View Full Version : ** Mountain Bike Megathread **

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

msommers
03-17-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/fourteenday/caab0053

End of the month is looking like good weather in the mountains! Anyone know of trails around Canmore?

Scope951
03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
All about the street but completely versatile rider.

Wouldnt mind hitting Millenium with anyone.

seer_claw
03-17-2009, 07:15 PM
From the latest trip mountain biking in Moab, Utah. Way too much fun and awesome riding. About 3 weeks ago. :burnout:

Monitor and Merrimac Trail
http://shaunhook.smugmug.com/photos/493641490_4Qq5j-L.jpg

Slickrock Trail
http://shaunhook.smugmug.com/photos/493641169_MJZgq-L.jpg

Porcupine Rim - 4 miles of climbing, 17 miles of continuous downhill. Does life on a bike get any better. :D
http://shaunhook.smugmug.com/photos/493641872_fip7b-L.jpg

no_joke
04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Decent weather is on the horizon. Time to tune up those bikes and get ready for another season. Repack those bearings! Adjust them brakes! Got a badass, hilly commute this year from NW suburbia out to Barlow Trail. As long as it isn't raining, I'll be riding to work.

Mitsu3000gt
04-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Anyone been to Fruita, Colorado? I'm planning on going this summer with the XC bike, maybe on May long. Just wondering if its all that its hyped up to be.

D'z Nutz
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I did a bit of biking on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I would've went yesterday, but I had some errands to do before the hockey game started. I'm just about to head out for some more, actually :)

corsvette
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
went out the first time this year on saturday,cant wait to hit some trails!

D'z Nutz
04-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Saturday was my first time in a decade and a half! It might be a while until I hit some trails! Haha! Might not sound like much, but 12km here 12km there everyday or two is a lot of work for me :rofl:

corsvette
04-08-2009, 08:03 PM
I just got back into biking late last summer,before i got married all i did in my spare time was ride,i got another bike and im hooked again!Just need to build back some skill and endurance.

msommers
04-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Couple questions about gear.

1) Thinking of goin clipless this year for the obvious advantage. I am pretty nervous (read pussy) about clipping my feet in though, how do these things work??

For something to start off with, what kind of prices, brands we talking...I haven't a clue :(

2) Need a bike rack with a hitch. How do some of these range from 250 bucks to like 500 at Bow? I just need something that works to carry 2 bikes, maybe 3.

Thanks!

msommers
04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Saturday was my first time in a decade and a half! It might be a while until I hit some trails! Haha! Might not sound like much, but 12km here 12km there everyday or two is a lot of work for me :rofl:

:rofl: I need to get started this year in general. Lemme know if you want to go riding, even if it's just to the resevoir. Same with anyone else, riding alone gets boring, even with music!

corsvette
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
X2 for a hitch rack,i need one too!

D'z Nutz
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by msommers

1) Thinking of goin clipless this year for the obvious advantage. I am pretty nervous (read pussy) about clipping my feet in though, how do these things work??

For something to start off with, what kind of prices, brands we talking...I haven't a clue :(

Oh man, you're asking this about 2 weeks too late. Bow cycle had a 50% off pedals a couple weeks back.

2) Need a bike rack with a hitch. How do some of these range from 250 bucks to like 500 at Bow? I just need something that works to carry 2 bikes, maybe 3.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm thinking about this (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442594359&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692829&bmUID=1237747874042) for flexibility but I dunno if it's any good or not. Anyone care to comment?

:rofl: I need to get started this year in general. Lemme know if you want to go riding, even if it's just to the resevoir. Same with anyone else, riding alone gets boring, even with music!

Lemme build up my endurance/stamina first or else I'm gonna get left behind (or I'll slow everyone down)! Haha! I just did another 11.5km this evening and I can definitely feel an improvement. Plus I'll need to get that car rack, but yeah I'm definitely up for a meet pretty soon. Do you have a lot of finals coming up?

mazdavirgin
04-08-2009, 11:17 PM

You don't need to clip in just get flats... The best DH riders do not wear locking pedals. You can do anything they can without them although yes they do add to your power output when climbing hills. I ride 1664 beaver traps. They are a bmx pedal so they are heavy(My bike is a heavy shore bike so whats a couple lbs?) but the studs are awesome and they really bite into your shoes. I recommend getting them if you can find them missions typically carries them not sure about the price but the studs are replaceable. Next thing is make sure you buy some flat bottom soft skate shoes and possibly some shin guards so you save yourself from the inevitable pedal bite.

http://distro.1664bmx.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=150&idParent=66

:thumbsup:

Despair*
04-09-2009, 08:26 AM

Thanks!

Hey msommers, going clipless is good. What kind of bike are you riding and what kinds of riding do you do?

At first I was a bit nervous about it too, but after a month and a bit of practice it became very natural. Clipping in and out became a thoughtless process. Sure there was a bit of learning involved, and I did have a number of those embarrassing tip over sideways episodes when stopped, but after a few years of riding with them I wouldn't want to go back. I love the ability to generate extra power when pedaling, and also the ability to stay connected to the pedals without having to worry about slipping on the pedals. I have a pair of Shimano 540's on my Enduro, and some 520's on my RM XC bike. The 540's are awesome, and even the 520's are good.

When starting out I'll clip one foot in by simply positioning by biking shoe cleat over the pedal and just push down. Once I have start turning the cranks, I'll bring my other foot onto the other pedal and clip in the same way. Unclipping is easy as well, you simply rotate your foot at the heel towards the outside if that makes sense. Alot of these clips you can make minor adjustments so that the clip will release easier, which may make things easier when you are first learning to use them.

I just recently pulled out the bikes on Sunday and went riding for a few hours. Can't wait for the rest of the snow and ice to clear up!

zipdoa
04-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Whatup!

Found this STEAL OF A DEAL at bow cycle yesterday... guy brought it in for trade in, bow gave it to me at cost ($1000 =) )

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a253/zipdoa/lol002-1.jpg

mazdavirgin
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Whatup!
Found this STEAL OF A DEAL at bow cycle yesterday... guy brought it in for trade in, bow gave it to me at cost ($1000 =) )

Nice bike regardless but I doubt it was at cost. I mean that is a pretty nice DH bike for sure but it is an 06. Either way I am sure that much travel is going to treat you well when you bomb down hills and cliffs :)

msommers
04-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I might be able to persuade Pedalhead to swap my old clip-on pedals that came with the bike in replacement for my flats..probably not but maybe trade + a little cash.

Type of riding I do is just path and trail, no downhill stuff. Not yet anyways. Right now I have no desire to do it, just want to stroll through the mountains. Last year, I was climbing this really steep part and my pedal slipped, lost my momentum and smoked my shin with my pedal...fuck did that kill!! So pedal slip is another reason, in addition to push/pull advantage. Oh, bike is just an 08' Giant XTC 1.

For a bike rack, I've looked around for used ones on Kijiji and Craig's List and found what seem to be good enough bike racks for under 100 bucks. I just need to figure out my hitch size (09 CRV).

D,
My exams are done on the 24th so that weekend I'd be up for going out. I could most likely fit your bike in the back of my suv and start from my place, it's right by the path by the zoo. And don't worry about endurance, I was on the treadmill yesterday trying to train for this run and was hurtin':rofl:

zipdoa
04-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Nice bike regardless but I doubt it was at cost. I mean that is a pretty nice DH bike for sure but it is an 06. Either way I am sure that much travel is going to treat you well when you bomb down hills and cliffs :)

It's an 05, checked kijiji and a similar one is going for $2000. Bow had a $1500 tag on it but the guy told me $1000 and then tried to eat his words right after...

Either way, It was a real bitch to ride to work this morning, but I was WAYYY to excited to drive!

D'z Nutz
04-09-2009, 05:00 PM
D,
My exams are done on the 24th so that weekend I'd be up for going out. I could most likely fit your bike in the back of my suv and start from my place, it's right by the path by the zoo. And don't worry about endurance, I was on the treadmill yesterday trying to train for this run and was hurtin':rofl:

Sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

corsvette
04-09-2009, 05:23 PM
not working tomorrow,i may head up to nose hill.

colt22
04-11-2009, 02:23 PM
if anyone needs a new summer ride I got one for sale in the sports section, 2007 kona coiler, brand new, and sexy.

syeve
04-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys! I might be able to persuade Pedalhead to swap my old clip-on pedals that came with the bike in replacement for my flats..probably not but maybe trade + a little cash.

Type of riding I do is just path and trail, no downhill stuff. Not yet anyways. Right now I have no desire to do it, just want to stroll through the mountains. Last year, I was climbing this really steep part and my pedal slipped, lost my momentum and smoked my shin with my pedal...fuck did that kill!! So pedal slip is another reason, in addition to push/pull advantage. Oh, bike is just an 08' Giant XTC 1.

Dude, don't think about it any more, just go get some real pedals. You will plateau WAY to early without them. Any kind of trail riding NEEDS clipelss. Just get any spd type and you will be good to go. With your bike it is a must!

msommers
04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
What kind of shoes are some of you guys using? I tried a few pairs on today and found that the ones with the ratchet work best as I have a narrow heel. Two at Bow I liked but the price difference was huge:

Shimano SH-M1086L (150)
http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/500/20-5313-BLK-ANGLE.jpg

Specialized BG MTB Comp (220)
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/equip/6119-32_l.jpg

I'll be honest, the specialized fit me slightly better, but 70 bucks better, hard to say. The specialized felt much more like a soccer cleat walking around than the Shimano. How much hiking with cycle shoes do some of you do? Is all this Body Geometry of specialized a marketing gimmick or is the design much better?

Bike rack I'm pretty much hooped on lol. A girl at work has a CRV and told me it came stock so I just assumed mine did as well without checking. Putting on a hitch + the rack is going to cost too much. Might just keep putting the bike in the back with the seats down.

Mitsu3000gt
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Thanks!

Just head down to Pedalhead, since you bought your bike there they should give you a good deal. For your type of riding, I would highly recommend clipless - you get significantly more power because the sole of the shoe is rigid, and the pedal is always on the best part of your foot. There is a huge difference for climbing. Paying more money basically just gets you a lighter shoe, usually with a carbon sole. You WILL fall a couple times until you get used to them, but very quickly it becomes second nature. If you fall, you usually come out of them. You can adjust the tension on them too to make it easier or harder to clip in/out. I use NorthWave shoes, and I'm super happy with them. Quite light, and good bang for the buck. Got them at Pedalhead, of course. Walking in them sucks, because the sole is rigid and I don't think its that great for the shoe.

For bike racks, we use this style: http://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shopnew/product.php?productid=16151&cat=0&page=1&featured

They work very well, and can be extended to take 4 bikes. Pedalhead can get them and their a good value.

D'z Nutz
04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Whooooooo, I just biked from my house to Chestermere and back (22.4km). I'm tired as fuck, but I feel good :thumbsup:

seer_claw
04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
What kind of shoes are some of you guys using? I tried a few pairs on today and found that the ones with the ratchet work best as I have a narrow heel. Two at Bow I liked but the price difference was huge:

I'll be honest, the specialized fit me slightly better, but 70 bucks better, hard to say. The specialized felt much more like a soccer cleat walking around than the Shimano. How much hiking with cycle shoes do some of you do? Is all this Body Geometry of specialized a marketing gimmick or is the design much better?

Bike rack I'm pretty much hooped on lol. A girl at work has a CRV and told me it came stock so I just assumed mine did as well without checking. Putting on a hitch + the rack is going to cost too much. Might just keep putting the bike in the back with the seats down.

After riding with Shimano and Specialized I really prefer the SHimano ones. The body geometry didn't feel right and was really uncomfortable, you get used to it but they still don't feel the same as my old Shimano's.

As to the buckles I have broken them multiple times on both the Shimano's and the Specialized shoes. Its a pain to get new ratchets but they really do give more support than the plain velcro ones. But the velcro ones don't break when you get too close to rocks.

I"m currently riding Specialized shoes and Eggbeater Ti's. IMHO the best clipless pedals that I've every used. But a couple of my buddies don't like the Eggbeaters at all.

Errol.
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
COP opens may 16th!
Early bird passes end at the end of april.

Kona9
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Errol.
COP opens may 16th!
Early bird passes end at the end of april.

Don't get too excited! It's not much of a fun place when you see kids with training wheels riding the courses.

Boost Infested
04-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I am thinking about getting a bike and I need advice from the experts here.. Here are the bikes i am currently looking at. Riding type: on and off road. I do have a budget of $500-$600. I am leaning toward a new one.

New: Specialized Hardrock Disc

http://thebikeshop.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=47825

http://thebikeshop.com/images/library/large/spec_hr_dsc_speed_green_09_m.jpg

Used: Kona

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/421684/

superflychief
04-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Specialized makes some great bikes. I ride 2. The hardrock is an excellent entry level bike. You'll enjoy it.

black_radiation
04-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm thinking about going out to Kicking Horse in a month or so, maybe if a few of you wanted to go you could toss your bikes in the back of my truck, I have a tailgate pad and they are all strapped, saves having to dismantle to bring em in your car and you could follow me if you got friends but no room for bikes or if some wanted to car pool w/ me out there

buzz_42
04-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Seeing as how Spring has arrived, the snow is almost gone, and Summer is near, lets talk bikes.

1. '06 Haro X6
2. In Lethbridge - The Coulees are fun. Going to be in Fernie a lot this year. Also, got a C.O.P. gift card for Christmas!
3. Just really getting into it this season.
4. Possible Beyond Mountain Bike Excursion?
- I'm totally down.
Anyone want to go riding this season, pm me.
I'm hooked. I'll be at Fernie & C.O.P. a lot this season.
Let me know!!!

black_radiation
04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by buzz_42
Seeing as how Spring has arrived, the snow is almost gone, and Summer is near, lets talk bikes.

1. '06 Haro X6
2. In Lethbridge - The Coulees are fun. Going to be in Fernie a lot this year. Also, got a C.O.P. gift card for Christmas!
3. Just really getting into it this season.
- I'm totally down.
Anyone want to go riding this season, pm me.
I'm hooked. I'll be at Fernie & C.O.P. a lot this season.
Let me know!!!

Ride: 06 Giant Glory DH w/ Team specs
COP is close and easy... theres not a huge need to go there but it does save a few hours drive, as I stated above I'm thinking about a kicking horse excursion for anyone else up for it

syeve
04-21-2009, 10:14 PM
The road at moose is still closed. We rode up and it was brutal, usually takes us like 35 minutes to climb the road, took us like 1.5 hours of gruling slushy shit. I have never been so beat up after a ride :barf:

I am running the same set up, specialized stupmjumper pro w/mavic crossmax wheels. Everyone have a great year of riding!!

Me and my bro's bikes...

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/IMG_8356.jpg
X-0, mavic crossmax with brain shock
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/IMG_8348.jpg

corsvette
04-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Rode nose hill tonight,i have allways liked going there,fairly close to home.
+ small pic of the bike

cressida_pimpin
04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Normally Ride Fernie, Silverstar, Sun peaks, etc.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s238/skaterfreak_2001/IMG_2014.jpg

just got some new deity pedals and stem, saint cranks, juicy 7's.

anyone want some specialized low pro mags let me know, i just took them off the bike. will trade them for a 24 of kokanee ($150 new)

jonnycat
04-24-2009, 04:21 PM
So I'm I'm looking at getting back into mountain biking. I'm looking at a specialized rock hopper or hardrock for me and a women's version of the same for my wife. Both hardtails as we'll be towing the little guy behind us most of the time. Any suggestions or recommendations in this price point? $700-900

syeve
04-24-2009, 04:41 PM
At that price range I would personally look to the used market. There are hundreds of bikes that people buy, ride 5 times and they never see the light of day again. These are just a few I found on a quick search...

Defn check out the last one, it is a pretty hardcore XC bike but for that price? Anyways, I would have all the bikes checked by someone who knows bikes before buying...you are gonna get a hell of a nicer bike for $1k used vs what you will get new (eg. the first FSR I listed is a $2k bike easy). Happy shopping and feel free to ask questions on any bikes you are interested in.

http://www.bowcycleclassifieds.com/Classifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=3004

http://www.bowcycleclassifieds.com/Classifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=2922

http://www.bowcycleclassifieds.com/Classifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=2903

jonnycat
04-27-2009, 08:43 AM
As I'm just getting back into it, and a full suspension wouldn't suit my needs, and I sometimes have the need for immediate gratification, I bought a '09 Trek 6000. Same color scheme as below.

http://www.njbike.com/images/360_tk_2009_6000_chired_white.jpg

Love everything thing about the bike except my ass isn't a fan of the Bontrager racing seat yet. In time I suppose.

Boost Infested
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/My%20Bike/100_1216.jpg

just bought this giant.. :) nothing crazy expensive yet.

D'z Nutz
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
sweeeeet :D

So who's up for a meet in a couple weeks? Nothing too hardcore, just something to get the limbs moving again :)

corsvette
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I would be up for a meet for sure!where do you have in mind?

Boost Infested
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
D'z, this sunday Noze Hill at 11am.

86max
04-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I went and got a Yukon like Boost Infested, but with different color, pedals, and tires.

It's my first decent bike, so we'll see if it gets me to stick with the sport or not. I'm used to bikes with motors.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v98/86MAX/IMG_6065-2.jpg

zipdoa
04-30-2009, 08:33 PM
are you guys doing some XC? maybe bring the heckler out..

mazdavirgin
04-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Riding 15 kms to work tomorrow on my heavy shore bike with rumbly tires(I hate riding a traditional frame now since not being able to bunny hop bugs me) :) Should be fun and I will get to see how out of shape the winter has left me...

Where exactly is the meet over at nose hill? I might make it but I might be busy that morning too we will see :S

D'z Nutz
04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I might be up for nose hill. Where at?

adam c
04-30-2009, 09:45 PM
anyone in need of a bike?
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sports-bikes-Tribal-Mountin-Bike-Made-by-Iron-Horse-W0QQAdIdZ124518529

Boost Infested
04-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Chist, this video is nutty.. some crashes at the end...05uBgnTAgp8

Mitsu3000gt
05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyone been to Mt. Swansea yet? I've heard the last 2km are dry, just curious to hear from someone who has been there recently.

syeve
05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Rode up Moose mountain today, weather was amazing! The pic is the road that leads to the backside switchbacks and the rest of the ride, needless to say we decided to just ride down the way we came. We were the first up there though!! This pic was taken at ~3200 feet vertical from the parking lot.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/DSC02326.jpg

Oh..sweet ride boost!!

Supa Dexta
05-03-2009, 05:08 AM
Spring is here, bring on the flowers!

http://img1.imageshack.us/img1/894/IM000815.JPG

Any guesses on which one I am...? :rofl:

Boost Infested
05-03-2009, 09:57 AM
^^the red neck in the wife beater? :D

Kona9
05-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Any guesses on which one I am...? :rofl:

:clap: :rofl:

zipdoa
05-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Where are you duders meeting on nose hill?

Boost Infested
05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Didn't go to Nose Hill today.. went to Fish Creek.

Supa Dexta
05-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
^^the red neck in the wife beater? :D

Its called my biking outfit!

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9940/trailride.jpg

:rofl: These are old pics.

86max
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Where is that picture taken? ^^^

Supa Dexta
05-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Nova Scotia, Probably 8 years ago... I was just digging around old pics and found them.

corsvette
05-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Awesome!that looks very tropical.

86max
05-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Nova Scotia, Probably 8 years ago... I was just digging around old pics and found them.

damn, was hoping it was local lol

flipstah
05-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm mostly a road cyclist but I was wondering if someone can give me advice on a mountain bike.

I have a couple of options, all within my range (<$800):

http://www.bowcycle.com/bc09/images/bikes/mountain/specialized-hardrock-disc.jpg

Specialized Hardrock Disc ($589.99 at BowCycle)

http://www.ridleys.com/images/2009-bikes/796-2009.jpg

Giant Rincon Disc ($639.99 at Ridley's)

http://files.dahon.com/images/bikes/standard/unfold/2009/jack-us.jpg

Dahon Jack ($600 at either BowCycle or Ridley's... Don't really remember.)

I'm a causal biker who's going to hit a couple of rough trails but nothing extreme.

Hope you can help! :thumbsup:

86max
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
^^ Also consider the Kona Blast, $699 @ Bow Cycle.
For the money, it looks to have better components than a lot of it's competition.
http://www.bikexpert.ro/catalog/images/KONA%20BLAST%202009.jpg

I rode the Giant Rincon two weeks ago, and really liked it. Havn't tried the other two so I can't compare, but perhaps you should take each for a spin and decide which suits you best.

Boost Infested
05-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Giant Rincon disc is $599, Yukon is $749 at Techno Sport aka Pedalheads.

I bought the Yukon at Pedalheads, they included 2 yrs service as many times as u like within 2 yrs.

98type_r
05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
anybody doing 24hours of adrenaline this July?

syeve
05-05-2009, 08:36 PM
^^yep :)

You?

98type_r
05-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Yep, on a team.

syeve
05-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Dang, we are still looking for a few guys. How big is your team? I don't really want to do it with less than 5 guys.

Do you night ride often?

98type_r
05-07-2009, 06:39 AM
I think we're at 8 for our team. I've never ridden at night before, so this should be interesting. I should probably get some lights and get some time in before the actual event.:nut:

Supa Dexta
05-07-2009, 06:41 AM
lights are friggin expensive. good ones anyways, are in the 100's

jonnycat
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
[B]Hey everyone!

I'm mostly a road cyclist but I was wondering if someone can give me advice on a mountain bike.

For that price point, I'd go with the Giant Yukon. Great bike. I had a hard decision between that and the Trek 6000. The Trek just fit a bit better and felt a bit lighter. But the Yukon has a kick ass seat.

civic_stylez
05-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I did my first 20+ K ride through fish creek last weekend... was pretty surprised how dry it is down there... a few icy spots but pretty solid in most parts. Man am i out of shape!!!

Boost Infested
05-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

For that price point, I'd go with the Giant Yukon. Great bike. I had a hard decision between that and the Trek 6000. The Trek just fit a bit better and felt a bit lighter. But the Yukon has a kick ass seat.

Yes, the seat is awesome!

Canmorite
05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
After looking at Syeve's pics of Moose last year, I definitely want to head out there this year!

I've got a big heavy bike though, riding up more then once is not for me :rofl:

Who else is interested? I've only got a small car, but do have gas money :angel:

syeve
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
All the trails I usually ride are still pretty unridable, they got an insane amount of snow out there. I don't mind a foot or two but it's like 4 feet at the trail heads. For now I am just riding up Moose road then down to sulpher for the bottom half. Takes like an hour? I go pretty often if anyone wants to join.

I can show you all the trails off moose as well. Let me know!

Boost Infested
05-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Mr. Syeve, you should post the date and the time whenever you are heading up to Moose. We would like to join yah. :D

Fred
05-11-2009, 12:49 PM
how is Tom Snow and Powder Face? lots of snow still?

syeve
05-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I am heading to moose on Wed afternoon (weather dependant), about 5ish. Anyone who wants to meet is welcome.

Unfortunately we don't have any rack space so we would have to meet you in Bragg.

Hey Fred, As far as I can tell Powder and tom snow would still be a real challenge. I was at the top of moose on sat and the trail head had no sign of even hikers going down, so safe to say it would be a tuff pedal. Like I mentioned I am heading up on wed so I will take a look at the base of powder and check it out.

This was the trail head for the backside of mooose a week ago, that sign is like 5 feet in the air...lots of snow still.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m186/Syeve/DSC02326.jpg

Afrodeziak
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
I think the Giant would be the best deal and best change from a road bike. It has a short stem, upright. Probably a better fork in comparison to that Specialized.
Beefier wheels.

I personally own a Kona dual suspension and an old specialized hard tail. Never ridden a Giant, but just from preference in build I'd say the Giant. My Specialized has lasted forever.

B

Originally posted by flipstah
Hey everyone!

Mitsu3000gt
05-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I hit Fish Creek yesterday, from Shannon Terrace to Evergreen its pretty much totally dry on the trails, tiny spots of mud at most, no snow whatsoever.

I'm off to Fruita, Colorado on Thursday for a week, really looking forward to it. We'll head over to Utah too if we get bored, but thats unlikely with the 200 miles of trails in Fruita.

Despair*
05-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I hit Fish Creek yesterday, from Shannon Terrace to Evergreen its pretty much totally dry on the trails, tiny spots of mud at most, no snow whatsoever.

I'm off to Fruita, Colorado on Thursday for a week, really looking forward to it. We'll head over to Utah too if we get bored, but thats unlikely with the 200 miles of trails in Fruita.

Lucky! Any idea what trails you are planning to ride in Fruita? I've heard lots of good things about fruita, and it's on my list of places to ride one day!

You will have to pose some pics after you get back ;)

Mitsu3000gt
05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Despair*

Lucky! Any idea what trails you are planning to ride in Fruita? I've heard lots of good things about fruita, and it's on my list of places to ride one day!

You will have to pose some pics after you get back ;)

Honestly I have no idea, I'll be doing a lot of trail research tomorrow before we go and making a list. There are some good websites that summarize them all with pictures & descriptions. Also I've heard the bike shops down there are great for telling you where to go, and they sell trail guides.

We'll be staying at a B&B in Fruita. I'll post any pics I get when I get back. I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Despair*
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Honestly I have no idea, I'll be doing a lot of trail research tomorrow before we go and making a list. There are some good websites that summarize them all with pictures &amp; descriptions. Also I've heard the bike shops down there are great for telling you where to go, and they sell trail guides.

We'll be staying at a B&amp;B in Fruita. I'll post any pics I get when I get back. I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Good stuff Mistu. Like yourself I don't know alot about the fruit trails either, just bits and pieces that I've read about or come across. Take a look at this youtube video for a trail down there called Joe's Ridge. It looks like a ton of fun! I'd defaintely be hitting this one If i got the chance to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrps9ULPzu8
(not quite sure how to embed it though) never mind... got it.

Wrps9ULPzu8

flipstah
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Well after reading your recommendations, I made the decision for the Dahon Jack as my commuter bike; the fact that it folds instantly and the comfort of being full sized, it was the prime choice for my daily commute (trying to avoid the UofC Parking ripoff.)

As for a dedicated mountain bike, I'm still deciding and will check out either the Kona or the Giant.

Thanks for the input!

Adrenaline101
05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
I think its just about time for me to go get a new hardtail, havent got to bike much since I moved down from the yukon and I miss it.
Now just need to decide which one. Thinking either the Kona Blast or Giant Yukon.
Cant wait to start beating around the trails I can find around calgary.

syeve
05-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Both sweet bikes. If you are looking in calgary, I would check out the usuals, Fish creek, Nose hill and COP, there are some trail rides there I hear. I think I read somewhere that calgary has more paths and trails (in kms) than any other city in Canada?

Adrenaline101
05-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Yep, its definately time for a new bike, fate showed me that. Was biking up a steep hill here in Okotoks, went to shift gears on a flat spot and my rear deraileur went out past the last sprocket, caught on the tire spoke. Therefore ripping the deraileur out of its mounts, breaking the cable, and toasting a brand new rim.

Its either that or a sign from above that I should just get fat and not bike :poosie:

syeve
05-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Riding Moose tomorrow if anyone is interested, leaving Calgary at about 11.

flipstah
05-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Fish Creek would be such a nice place to bike around but it's hella far from where I live. Is it worth the drive or should I go someplace else if I'm going to drive half an hour anyways?

Originally posted by syeve
Riding Moose tomorrow if anyone is interested, leaving Calgary at about 11.

Is Moose a trail or the actual animal? :dunno: :rofl:

syeve
05-17-2009, 08:30 PM
^^:rofl: That does sound bad when you put it that way.

Afrodeziak
05-19-2009, 09:21 AM
I rode Moose Mountain on Saturday. My first time, although I've biked trails like it before.

A really cool spot.

Right now it's still somewhat mucky off of the east side of the road that goes up, we never rode it but were told to avoid it since it was sloppy and we'd be messing up the trails.

We rode a couple of the "black" runs off of the ridge. Really technical and fast.

Adrenaline101
05-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Finally got the new bike today. Decided not to get the Giant Yukon and instead treated myself to a Giant Trance X-4 and then about 2 hours later went back and grabbed the fiance a Giant Boulder SE. Broke em in as soon as we got home.

Mitsu3000gt
05-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Finally got the new bike today. Decided not to get the Giant Yukon and instead treated myself to a Giant Trance X-4 and then about 2 hours later went back and grabbed the fiance a Giant Boulder SE. Broke em in as soon as we got home.

Did you buy from Pedalhead?

Good call with the Trance X by the way, great bikes.

Adrenaline101
05-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Got em both from cyclepath, Im really enjoyin the trance so far. Altho its alot lighter than my last bike so I have to learn to change my stance when pedalling up hill so I dont pull up the front fork and go over backwards, lol.

Despair*
05-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Did you buy from Pedalhead?

Good call with the Trance X by the way, great bikes.

Hope did the trip to Fruita go Mitsu?

Kona9
05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
So I rode COP today for the first time since the Whistler boys changed it up a couple seasons ago.

I heard nothing but bad things about the new design etc. All the "tougher" man made stuff had been removed. Judging by the pile of wood at the base close to the First Aid ramp, it looks as though more is coming.

I really only liked the Safari..... whatever its called trail. Pretty flowy and fun when the little tykes weren't gathered and stopped at sections.

Ended up leaving around 2 to get my front brake fixed. Some how things loosened up enough that the rotor was rubbing the caliper. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Being the beginning of the season, Is there anyone that wants to meet up during the week after work to do a few runs to get the rusty spots out?

Mitsu3000gt
05-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Despair*

Hope did the trip to Fruita go Mitsu?

Fruita was Amazing. We stayed there the whole time rather than a day trip to MOAB because we wanted to ride everything at Fruita, MOAB could be its own trip, and also lots of people were telling us they liked Fruita better.

We did all the trails worth riding, like Joe's Ridge, Zippity Do Da, Chutes & ladders, troy built, mack ridge, lions loop, and more. The last day we did The Edge Loop, which is a 50km ride the IMBA has given "epic" status to, and I can certainly see why - I didn't even know I was capable of that much work lol. Never done so much climbing in my life but it was worth it.

I'll get a bunch of pics up ASAP with more details. Pretty hard to describe without pics. Best overall riding I've ever done in my life by far. Tons of climbing, but every time the views/decent was worth it. We rode everything from right beside the Colorado river up to ~7,800ft.

The drive is 16.5-17hr roughly, but worth it for sure. Speed limit is a generous 75MPH for almost the whole way.

The best bikes to have out there are ~5" travel full suspension XC bikes, and that's what the shops in town rent too. That way you have your climbing covered and you won't suffer on the descents - there is plenty of both.

Vagabond142
05-23-2009, 08:03 PM
1. What are you riding.

McKinley something or other. Dunno the model name, just know it's full suspension, 21 speeds, grip shifters and 26 inch wheels, and it rides like a fucking DREAM compared to my old CCM Canadian Tire Special from like 15 years ago O_o

2. Favourite trails around town

Bow River trail, both sides of the river. I also like to ride down into the SE along the trails there. Now that I have the bike to handle it, I'm gonna start biking up to Nose Hill (all the way uphill to get there :cry: ) and riding some trails there :) Thankfully, the trip home (down Shag or 14th St) is ALL downhill ^_^

3. Tips/Tricks

Hydrate lots before starting out, and stay hydrated as you ride, especially on hot days.

You betcha :D

EDIT: If you wanna play "Name that bike," here's a prime candidate for you!

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0534.jpg

Adrenaline101
05-25-2009, 12:08 AM
I figured instead of making a new thread about it Id mention it here.
At the beginning of June I'll be moving to Deer Run, right by fish creek park. So if anyone is up for going for some rides and wants a non hardcore getting back into shape riding partner let me know.
I havent been working due to medical so I will probably be available anytime almost anyday. Just figured I'd be good to go out with somebody familiar with the park maybe ( never ridden there, but I'm stoked to be close to better trails than I get here in Okotoks)